Would GTA V seriously hurt MP3's sales?

llpalm08

GANGSTA26-VERCETTI

No, i highly doubt it. THE game is going to cost around $60, and a mp3 can be as cheap as a penny. Plus the game industry and the music business are separate markets.

Edit- Was my lame attempt to troll suicidal.gif

GTA V will make more than MP3, not only that, but as soon as mp3 comes out for that crowd, the focus will be gtav until its release date.

The amount of sales that mp3 is capable of can only be affected if gta gets released earlier. Which wont happen. sneaky2.gif

Edited by GANGSTA26-VERCETTI

HydraulicWaRiOr
No, i highly doubt it. THE game is going to cost around $60, and a mp3 can be as cheap as a penny. Plus the game industry and the music business are separate markets.

Max Payne 3 not Media Player 3.

You need to understand that GTA V will rape all games on the market when it comes out. I estimate MP3 sales at 4.5-6 million while GTA V is 24+ million in my book.

I think the original MP outsold MP2... for total history of maybe 6 million copies of the franchise... Makes me think 4.5 - 6 million copies are what the boardroom folks at R* and T2 are hoping for but I doubt it.

Max Payne may be a good game but way overshadowed by other franchises. My personal feeling is there are enough linear shooters out there already to play. It's not filling any Niche except existing MP fans. Sounds like there isn't 6 million of them.

QUOTE (GANGSTA26-VERCETTI @ Tuesday, Jan 3 2012, 02:42)

Max Payne 3 not Media Player 3.

BAHAHAHHAA

Yeah I agree with you guy's.

I know MP3 is going to be the sh*t but I'm sorry Rockstar Vancouver.

GTA V will TOP EVERY GAME

You need to understand that GTA V will rape all games on the market when it comes out. I estimate MP3 sales at 4.5-6 million while GTA V is 24+ million in my book.

I think the original MP outsold MP2... for total history of maybe 6 million copies of the franchise... Makes me think 4.5 - 6 million copies are what the boardroom folks at R* and T2 are hoping for but I doubt it.

Max Payne may be a good game but way overshadowed by other franchises. My personal feeling is there are enough linear shooters out there already to play. It's not filling any Niche except existing MP fans. Sounds like there isn't 6 million of them.

Maybe I was too generous up there but you're right MP1 sales were higher than MP2 sales, in my opinion the first Max Payne will always be the best of the series, no matter what new features MP3 will come up with.

Hello dear comunity. I just changed my password into something I am unable to remember. It has been a lot of fun here, one of the best GTA dedicated forums I have ever visited. The mods are doing a great job and I wish you all the best. I love you, every single one of you (apart from Zee [what a fanny]).

Damn, I'm so excited about the game.

Just like the first time I bought San Andreas and explore the game.

I'll be f*cking happy after Rockstar show us the release date!

EDIT: Sorry for being off-topic but this had to be done.

If we are talking 2-3 months then I think MP3 sales will probably peak before then and V probably would sell the best around the time summer begins, because it give more college age people time to buy and play it. Also I hear some big games are coming out in the fall. I would release it in June if I were R*.

JoanCrawford
If we are talking 2-3 months then I think MP3 sales will probably peak before then and V probably would sell the best around the time summer begins, because it give more college age people time to buy and play it. Also I hear some big games are coming out in the fall. I would release it in June if I were R*.

Yes, Ill be honest. Im not going to be too happy if the game doesn\'t release before Fall.

G1T

Well, yes and no.

I have studied marketing and am highly interested in sales statistics of all entertainment products.

From a marketing perspective, releasing GTAV only two months after MP3 would be a rather bold move. Rockstar and Take 2 (and actually everyone outside the companies as well) is highly aware that GTA is an incredibly lucrative franchise, one that focuses the attention of the gaming world. It's difficult to build a relatively undergod (by R*'s standards) brand like Max Payne when your own company overshadows it with the release of something that is going to move a lot more heads.

Considering sales numbers, most games move the majority of units within about the first month of release, so it wouldn't be completely asinine to release GTA two months later. I don't see it breaking the sales of MP3 completely, but it would definitely harm its potential of long-term sales. From a business standpoint, it would make more sense to place GTAV in the latter half of the year considering the developer's current investments. However, R* hasn't really been economical about this in the past anyway. Right in the middle of the MP3 marketing offensive they have released the GTAV trailer...so no matter when it's coming out it has already taken the focus of consumer off of the (at best) secondary brand. In the end, don't forget that while Rockstar is absolutely brilliant in its game development, they usually act like a rebellious teenager when it comes to marketing. Their credo is to do things differently from the norm, and releasing two AAA-titles in such short succession wouldn't be entirely out of their profile. I still think it's rather unlikely to happen!

Dollars and cents wise the earlier in the year GTAV gets released, the more money overall it will yield for that fiscal year. Period. If it does get released in early spring they could even piggy back it with Max Payne 3 and sell it as a R* BlockBuster 2012 pack for not a lot more money than buying GTAV alone? I personally would consider it if the price was right. That's a summer of play time and statistically would give MP3 a healthy boost. Otherwise I just can't see myself shelling out for it.

TBO I'm not sure why all the effort with the series, seems to be doing worse, not better. Even the hollywood screen adaption was fairly terrible, mind you it did get into a profit margin which now-a-days can be tricky with action flicks.

Wonder what R* spent making the new game?

@Ispintechno: As a passionate gamer, I sure would like that proposal you're talking about. Two great games for just a bit over the price of one, sounds like a hoot. But sadly, you have to consider the immense development cost for such titles on modern hardware. While MP3 won't cost nearly as much as GTAV, it will also have significantly lower sales numbers. Rockstar will have to rake in the money somehow, and bundling games is not a practice for early release cycles. Something like that might happen several months later, but not so close to release.

Sorry to burst your bubble there, but Rockstar would be financial lunatics to do that.

Dollars and cents wise the earlier in the year GTAV gets released, the more money overall it will yield for that fiscal year. Period. If it does get released in early spring they could even piggy back it with Max Payne 3 and sell it as a R* BlockBuster 2012 pack for not a lot more money than buying GTAV alone? I personally would consider it if the price was right. That's a summer of play time and statistically would give MP3 a healthy boost. Otherwise I just can't see myself shelling out for it.

TBO I'm not sure why all the effort with the series, seems to be doing worse, not better. Even the hollywood screen adaption was fairly terrible, mind you it did get into a profit margin which now-a-days can be tricky with action flicks.

Wonder what R* spent making the new game?

Not to turn this into an MP3 fanboy thread, but I think the game will exceed all expectations and do very well on its own. In other words if after 3 months of its release you haven't bought it then you probably won't, but its rentals will be through the roof. It won't be threatened by V even if it is by the same company. In fact, marketing these two game together is probably what they are doing and have some kind of idea about a sling shot effect. I made that up.

Well like said already, MP3 sales will trickle off after a month or so, maybe 2 while GTA is a game that will outsell it 12 months after it's release, maybe much longer.

So after a few months, GTAV gets released and in the summer they bundle it R* wouldn't be crazy to do it. GTAV will sell anyway and MP3 sells more copies again at a time it will likely have fizzled out on it's own. And more people will play and probably learn to love it. Seems win win in my mind.

Bundling games however is poison for their individual success in such early stages. Selling MP3 together with GTAV will make the former seem like a cheap cash-in R* has developed just to complement the release of its big title. They surely do not want this. I'm not saying a 24/5 release is impossible, but the bundle thing just won't happen right then.

Bundling games however is poison for their individual success in such early stages. Selling MP3 together with GTAV will make the former seem like a cheap cash-in R* has developed just to complement the release of its big title. They surely do not want this. I'm not saying a 24/5 release is impossible, but the bundle thing just won't happen right then.

Yeah I agree, I can't see a bundle right off the starting line either.

Cole Phelps Gta
mp3

lol

sorry for going offtopic but i thought of mp3 files

You made me chuckle thanks for that smile.gif i can see how you'd make that mistake which makes it even funnier you know

#HEEL

You're too cowardly to even take the heat for it from the people you troll, instead running to the moderators wasting our time with sh*t you started. GTFO.

#BANHAMMER

Finn 7 five 11

Maybe Rockstar knows that releasing in such a small time frame affects sales, which is why they won't.

Max Payne has been mostly a cult following, but i think Max Payne 3 will change that, it looks awesome, and Rockstar is marketing it better than previoud games,

Cole Phelps Gta
Like I said before.

Releasing GTA V in October would probably cause a lot more negative sale effect on GTA itself than GTA would cause on Max Payne 3 by releasing it in May.

I mean most of the biggest games arrive in Q3-Q4, Call of Duty, Halo, Battlefield, Metal Gear, and probably many more, and that would draw focus away from GTA by much more than GTA would draw away focus on Max Payne 3. So releasing GTA V "early" will help their sales on it a hell lot more than releasing it late.

And don't tell me that "gta will be bigger than cod" etc. I don't care. The point is that CoD is right now the biggest franchise in gaming, and it has wayyyy much more eyes on it than Max Payne 3 does probably same thing with Halo 4.

And some might be "Well they could release it in another month". True, but the best times to release games are between March - July and September - December, and GTA V will no way in hell come out that late since their fiscal year begins in April 2012.

this is a point i wanted to make aswell. What about cod ? Say what you will. But i will not be suprised in the slightest if cod outsold gta v

Cod lets face it has become more off an online game. I only play the games for the story/career mode. And i really enjoy it so don't think i'm bashing it here. I'm just saying people mainly buy it too play on xbox live/psn and it appeals too sooooooo many people. You're in a war talking to real people as you kill them it sounds amazing. If i had a clue how to get xboxlive i would be playing cod online in a heartbeart

I can't see gta out selling cod for that reason alone. i might be dead wrong but w/e. It makes me sad how much effort rockstar puts into games only to be beaten by an ''online war game''

Gta is better in everyway it's not even debatable. But that's how it is these days.

#HEEL

You're too cowardly to even take the heat for it from the people you troll, instead running to the moderators wasting our time with sh*t you started. GTFO.

#BANHAMMER

grope_4_that_date
Would GTA V seriously hurt MP3's sales?

Of course, GTA5 would drown Max Payne 3, just like any other 'AAA' game.

Different set of players that represent fans of ROCKSTAR, so MP3 and GTA V can both come out at the same time, if you want the game, BUY IT!! There's no statute of limitations on buying it, the price drop only occurs on titles that aren't AAA

Proof that it may conflict? How can they definitively say anything though??

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Max-Payne-3...st-220968.shtml