Would GTA V seriously hurt MP3's sales?

llpalm08

I've already paid for my Max Payne collectors edition. I have at least 5 months (most likely more) to save up again for GTA. Where is the problem? sly.gif

Post pone Max Payne 3 and set a release date for GTA V, end of story.

And piss off all us MP fans? Yeah, that would look really good for R*.

The fact is alot of people can't afford to buy two games in one month. Alot of kids will be begging their parents for that "one game" and if it's between the two GTA will prolly win. Alot of people won't buy both at the same time. Most would buy one and beat it and then buy the other. R* has alot of competition and they don't need to compete with themselves as well. It would just be a poor marketing strategy.

ShnePmW.jpg?5

HydraulicWaRiOr
Post pone Max Payne 3 and set a release date for GTA V, end of story.

And piss off all us MP fans? Yeah, that would look really good for R*.

900,000 MP fans is s*** compared to 10,000,000 Grand Theft Auto fans

The fact is alot of people can't afford to buy two games in one month. Alot of kids will be begging their parents for that "one game" and if it's between the two GTA will prolly win. Alot of people won't buy both at the same time. Most would buy one and beat it and then buy the other. R* has alot of competition and they don't need to compete with themselves as well. It would just be a poor marketing strategy.

1) The two games are coming out in different months

2) Kids shouldn't be buying either games.

I keep on seeing people saying that if GTA V is released in May that it would hurt Max Payne 3's sales.

I personally think GTA V will be released in October, but how would the games affect eachother badly just because of them being made by the same company? I think it is infact the opposite because I weren't in the slightest interested in MP3 when it was announced but since the GTA V traier I have actually decided to get it in March.

Also usually most games sales go down quite a bit after about 2 months compared to its first week of sales so surely the release of GTA V in May would increase MP3's sales again because I think it would have been lowered in price to about £25 by May and people who didnt get it in March might decide to get it allong with GTA V.

Yes it would hurt sales - although probably quite minutely.

I know for the vast majority of people, buying 2 games 2 months apart may not seem like a huge financial stretch, but there will be a small portion of people who will be unable to justify buying two games relatively close together. The popularity of GTA dictates that it would be the common pick, so this would have a small detrimental affect on the sales of Max Payne 3.

In addition to this is the issue of the amount of time that gamers have to play games. I'm not clued up the Max Payne series so couldn't say for sure about that but GTA is an adults game. I know a lot of underagers do play it but it is aimed at adults. Adults, generally do not have bundles of free time to play to big video games constantly and so may choose to only buy one. Again, popularity would suggest that it would be the common choice.

Your query about why it would be different simply because both games are made by the same company is simple - it is simply because Rockstar is in full control that we are asking these questions. If they were made by 2 different companies then there wouldn't even be a talking point.

These are a couple of the factors (other include marketing time & costs, still developing GTA V etc) and although they would only have a small affect on the sales of Max Payne 3, they would have an affect and if that causes Rockstar to fear they may lose even 1% of revenue then that is enough to ensure that they don't do it because they, like every other company, must maximise earning potential.

ikillionaire ii

GTA IV was released 2 months after bully

so why not GTA V 2 months after max payne?

ps no idea if bully sold well or not

Like I said before.

Releasing GTA V in October would probably cause a lot more negative sale effect on GTA itself than GTA would cause on Max Payne 3 by releasing it in May.

I mean most of the biggest games arrive in Q3-Q4, Call of Duty, Halo, Battlefield, Metal Gear, and probably many more, and that would draw focus away from GTA by much more than GTA would draw away focus on Max Payne 3. So releasing GTA V "early" will help their sales on it a hell lot more than releasing it late.

And don't tell me that "gta will be bigger than cod" etc. I don't care. The point is that CoD is right now the biggest franchise in gaming, and it has wayyyy much more eyes on it than Max Payne 3 does probably same thing with Halo 4.

And some might be "Well they could release it in another month". True, but the best times to release games are between March - July and September - December, and GTA V will no way in hell come out that late since their fiscal year begins in April 2012.

I keep on seeing people saying that if GTA V is released in May that it would hurt Max Payne 3's sales.

I personally think GTA V will be released in October, but how would the games affect eachother badly just because of them being made by the same company? I think it is infact the opposite because I weren't in the slightest interested in MP3 when it was announced but since the GTA V traier I have actually decided to get it in March.

Also usually most games sales go down quite a bit after about 2 months compared to its first week of sales so surely the release of GTA V in May would increase MP3's sales again because I think it would have been lowered in price to about £25 by May and people who didnt get it in March might decide to get it allong with GTA V.

I know for the vast majority of people, buying 2 games 2 months apart may not seem like a huge financial stretch, but there will be a small portion of people who will be unable to justify buying two games relatively close together. The popularity of GTA dictates that it would be the common pick, so this would have a small detrimental affect on the sales of Max Payne 3.

In addition to this is the issue of the amount of time that gamers have to play games. I'm not clued up the Max Payne series so couldn't say for sure about that but GTA is an adults game. I know a lot of underagers do play it but it is aimed at adults. Adults, generally do not have bundles of free time to play to big video games constantly and so may choose to only buy one. Again, popularity would suggest that it would be the common choice.

Your query about why it would be different simply because both games are made by the same company is simple - it is simply because Rockstar is in full control that we are asking these questions. If they were made by 2 different companies then there wouldn't even be a talking point.

These are a couple of the factors (other include marketing time & costs, still developing GTA V etc) and although they would only have a small affect on the sales of Max Payne 3, they would have an affect and if that causes Rockstar to fear they may lose even 1% of revenue then that is enough to ensure that they don't do it because they, like every other company, must maximise earning potential.

If that was the case then the video game market wouldnt be doing as well as it is. The average age range of someone who plays on games consoles is between 23 and 37 according to a variety of reports. I have plenty of time to play video games while also having a job. The fact is that the biggest games out there at the moment are games aimed at adults, GTA, MW3, Skyrim, Assasins Creed, BF3, etc...

Also I wouldnt say that 2 months apart is a short time, GTA IV took me 30 hrs to complete while also messing around and doing other stuff, and I would say V would probably take the same ammount of time, so even if I worked 7 days a week I would still spend about 1-2 hrs after work playing V, so if I did work 7 days rather than 4 days I would still be able to complete GTA in less than 1 month. Now Max Payne 3 isnt an open world sandbox game like GTA, its a 3rd person shooter from what I can tell, so the messing around the map wont be there, so I would say MP3 would take at most 15-20 hrs to complete and that is plenty of time to complete the game in 2 months even if you only spend 30 mins a day on the game.

GTA IV was released 2 months after bully

so why not GTA V 2 months after max payne?

ps no idea if bully sold well or not

Bully came out 2006, 2 years before GTA V.

but Wii & Xbox 360 Bully came in 2008 sometime.

So can't really use that comparison since it got released 2 years before IV.

ikillionaire ii

Bully scholarship edition was march 2008 (ok only a port) but still a R* release close to GTA nevertheless

Why release V in May and risk hurting Max Payne 3 sales when they can release it in autumn instead? In that way both games gets the spotlight they deserve. Much more logic. Don't see why people can't understand this.

user posted image

its more likely TTWO will put them in different Quarters because the stock market, releasing V 2 months later wont hurt MP3 sales

MP3 is going to be released at the end of this financial year, T2 are hoping for strong sales before MP3 is getting more hype from people looking for GTA 5 news, When theh new financial year starts, T2 want GTA5 to follow on from the strong finish they just had and release GTA 5,, therefore continuing there strong finish and giving them more market share and higher share prices. Just think GTA 5 could be in the top 10 gaming charts from May-Dec, imagine all the cash they would get in that financial year.

mafiahitman14

GTA V wouldn't just hurt max payne 3's sales it would hurt many other games sales because everyone loves the GTA franchise.

ikillionaire ii

Ok I have no plans to get MP3 so I want gta asap

but id rather obviouslyy wait an extra few months if it means the game will be better but I think releasing in may would be better overall for sales than october purely cus of the typical yearly updates

Id be satisfied with anywhere between now and august

but will get whenever

If that was the case then the video game market wouldnt be doing as well as it is. The average age range of someone who plays on games consoles is between 23 and 37 according to a variety of reports. I have plenty of time to play video games while also having a job. The fact is that the biggest games out there at the moment are games aimed at adults, GTA, MW3, Skyrim, Assasins Creed, BF3, etc...

Also I wouldnt say that 2 months apart is a short time, GTA IV took me 30 hrs to complete while also messing around and doing other stuff, and I would say V would probably take the same ammount of time, so even if I worked 7 days a week I would still spend about 1-2 hrs after work playing V, so if I did work 7 days rather than 4 days I would still be able to complete GTA in less than 1 month. Now Max Payne 3 isnt an open world sandbox game like GTA, its a 3rd person shooter from what I can tell, so the messing around the map wont be there, so I would say MP3 would take at most 15-20 hrs to complete and that is plenty of time to complete the game in 2 months even if you only spend 30 mins a day on the game.

I wasn't saying that only adults play video games, I was saying that these are adult games and are 100% aimed at the gaming habits of adults.

Good for you, you play video games in all your spare time, but a lot of people won't. They may play for a few hours 1 day, and then not play again for a couple of days. Similar to you, I play a reasonable amount of video games but people in the age groups you kindly put forward have a multitude of other things to do. Rockstar will not plan their releases around people who they know will walk over broken glass to play GTA, as they will always be there. They will look to take money from other releases, and definitely not one of their own.

As someone said, COD is the biggest video game franchise right now, but only because it is the most output. The clamour and attention that GTA:V gets on release will be absolutely unprecedented and I am sure Rockstar would rather have that overshadowing other studios releases than their own.

As I said, the affect will be small but any negative effect that Rockstar foresees will absolutely dictate when they release GTA:V.

Dress it up how you like but 2 months apart is an unnecessarily short period of time between products. How do you propose that Rockstar sustain a full marketing campaign for 2 games, assuming both have full marketing campaigns?

I wasn't saying that only adults play video games, I was saying that these are adult games and are 100% aimed at the gaming habits of adults.

Good for you, you play video games in all your spare time, but a lot of people won't. They may play for a few hours 1 day, and then not play again for a couple of days. Similar to you, I play a reasonable amount of video games but people in the age groups you kindly put forward have a multitude of other things to do. Rockstar will not plan their releases around people who they know will walk over broken glass to play GTA, as they will always be there. They will look to take money from other releases, and definitely not one of their own.

As someone said, COD is the biggest video game franchise right now, but only because it is the most output. The clamour and attention that GTA:V gets on release will be absolutely unprecedented and I am sure Rockstar would rather have that overshadowing other studios releases than their own.

As I said, the affect will be small but any negative effect that Rockstar foresees will absolutely dictate when they release GTA:V.

Dress it up how you like but 2 months apart is an unnecessarily short period of time between products. How do you propose that Rockstar sustain a full marketing campaign for 2 games, assuming both have full marketing campaigns?

Thats not what I meant.

I was meaning that there are a large ammount of adults who would prefer to play on a games console than watch TV to relax after work.

As for how they would susstain the campaigns well that is quit obvious, release one trailer for GTA V in Jan or Feb, get the hype up for that again and feed on that hype to feed peoples minds with Max Payne 3 up till release in march, then do another trailer for GTA V on around April 10th with a release date for GTA V at the end of May (like the 24th for example) so people who have the money to buy atleast 1 game a month will decide to get MP3 as something to play untill GTA V is released if they didnt allready get it.

Anyway I never said I thaught it will come out in May I said I thaught it will come out in October, but wnted to know why people seem to think GTA V would damage MP3's sales by being 2 months appart when I dont see MP3 being the sort of game that would stay high in the chart for more than 2 months without being given a nudge by GTA. Look at LA Noire, that was the biggest new title seller ever and it was out of the top 10 in less than 2 months but that was influenced by people who thaught it was going to be allot like GTA in free roam, Max Payne is a different type of game so I dont think it will preform as well as LA Noire did so I think GTA V is more likeley going to put MP3's sales up than down.

Also where on earth did I say I spend all my spare time on video games, I said I spend 1-2 hours after work playing on it, you dont know my working times other than that I work for 4 days a week so at most you know I spend 8 hours a week on the console.

Maybe R* will hold GTA hostage until MP3 sells Xmillion copies. Hence no release date.

Ludzidocelowych

No, and anyone who thinks it would is an idiot.

MP And GTA are two completely different genres, with different fanbases, anyone who wants to by MP probably is going ot buy it regardless of when GTA is released, I for one am buying both

No, and anyone who thinks it would is an idiot.

MP And GTA are two completely different genres, with different fanbases, anyone who wants to by MP probably is going ot buy it regardless of when GTA is released, I for one am buying both

I agree. We have to remember that just because both games are from the same stable it doesn't mean everyone will buy both. For example if a car manufacturer such as Toyota released a new sedan and then a new SUV only a couple of months later would the sales of the sedan be affected significantly even though the sedan is targeting a different of the market?

The only way I could see MP3 get hurt is if it was a sandbox game, but since it's not like my above example it's targeting a different sector of the gaming market. Not all MP fans are interested in GTA and vice versa. Even still for those that are intending to buy both 2 months is a sufficient gap IMO. A week apart would be stupid, but 2 months seems to be about average for most people wanting to buy a new game.

GTA V I CAN'T WAIT ANY LONGER

Hello dear comunity. I just changed my password into something I am unable to remember. It has been a lot of fun here, one of the best GTA dedicated forums I have ever visited. The mods are doing a great job and I wish you all the best. I love you, every single one of you (apart from Zee [what a fanny]).

JoanCrawford

No, I have no intention of buying MP3. IMO it is just an annoying barrier because it is getting in the way of GTA V info.

G1T

No, I have no intention of buying MP3. IMO it is just an annoying barrier because it is getting in the way of GTA V info.

Agreed. I think we would know a lot more about GTAV if MP3 was off the table. Hell I bet R* would be having fun on their website with it right now instead of being scared to give it it's own header and spot to comment on. confused.gif

I don't even know anyone outside of this forum and gaming websites who want Max Payne 3 . . . oh well. Just give us GTA V.

To answer the question, I don't think it would hurt sales. When people want to buy a game, they dish out the cash to buy them. No questions asked.

You need to understand that GTA V will rape all games on the market when it comes out. I estimate MP3 sales at 4.5-6 million while GTA V is 24+ million in my book.

Hello dear comunity. I just changed my password into something I am unable to remember. It has been a lot of fun here, one of the best GTA dedicated forums I have ever visited. The mods are doing a great job and I wish you all the best. I love you, every single one of you (apart from Zee [what a fanny]).

Remember Take2 lost 8.7 mil. dollar?

Take 2 told in an interview, the only thing that will rescue them is to release GTA V, right?

Well I think they will release MP3 and 2 or 3 months later, they will release GTA V.

That's what I think.

JoanCrawford
Remember Take2 lost 8.7 mil. dollar?

Take 2 told in an interview, the only thing that will rescue them is to release GTA V, right?

Well I think they will release MP3 and 2 or 3 months later, they will release GTA V.

That\'s what I think.

I agree. I don\'t have anything against it or anything, but by the looks of it I think that that Max Payne game is going to be a major fail. People are just too focused on V right now. But thats just me.

G1T