Would GTA V seriously hurt MP3's sales?

llpalm08

I keep on seeing people saying that if GTA V is released in May that it would hurt Max Payne 3's sales.

I personally think GTA V will be released in October, but how would the games affect eachother badly just because of them being made by the same company? I think it is infact the opposite because I weren't in the slightest interested in MP3 when it was announced but since the GTA V traier I have actually decided to get it in March.

Also usually most games sales go down quite a bit after about 2 months compared to its first week of sales so surely the release of GTA V in May would increase MP3's sales again because I think it would have been lowered in price to about £25 by May and people who didnt get it in March might decide to get it allong with GTA V.

Yes it would hurt sales, Max Payne is a brilliant game series that's sadly always been overlooked on the consoles, it's been much bigger on the PC, but even then, Max Payne is more a cult franchise, just compare the trailer views, GTA V has over 10 million views, whilst Max Payne 3 has yet to break 1 Million!

CookPassBabtridge

IMO not really; the bulk of those who intend buying MP3 will do so in the first few weeks of release, same with most other games.

Long_Haired_Boy

No but I want all the time I can with Max Payne 3 first. I'm sure once that releases we'll start to get some of the juice on GTA V.

Max Payne 3 aside, GTA V is going to rape every single game on the market.

Hello dear comunity. I just changed my password into something I am unable to remember. It has been a lot of fun here, one of the best GTA dedicated forums I have ever visited. The mods are doing a great job and I wish you all the best. I love you, every single one of you (apart from Zee [what a fanny]).

Well for people with a limited budget, yeah, they'd rather wait for Gta, I will be getting both But if mp3 and gta 5 had the same release date then meh, I'd get gta first.

I expect gta to keep me busy for a few months.

Hell, when gta v was announced I lost all interest in Sr3!

I've lost intrest in most games, am just waiting for gta v tbo.

So yes, gta v will hurt sales of many games.

Believe me, the ones who have played both Max Payne 1 and 2, is about going to buy it.

The 2 previous games were brilliant and I think Max Payne 3 is going to sell to much.

But no, GTA V won't hurt Max Payne 3's sales but GTA V will have the whole world go crazy.

MP3 is gonna sell more than most of the games but GTA V will be the game of 2012

Snake Without a Tongue

I'm with Raynos. I like both, but I got a budget over here. And even if I had both games I'd go for GTA first and I'll spend month and months on GTA when I get it. They should've released them in different years, actually. (hopefully they won't at this point)

No, people are not going to decided to but either or, the fact is GTA is the most wanted game, people will buy GTA as well as others (MP3). Most people have already decided if they are buying GTA5, without knowing release date, console etc, how many games do that to people ?

NO ! R* North dosn't care when other R* studios gona release there games . GTA always gona be there top prioritie only they don't admit because they need to look good in gaming industries and make bunch of side projects (RDR, LA noire, Agent, )

TT won't mind 1,5-3m copies sold by knowing that 2 months later GTA V will top MW3 first day sales .

R* has to start GTA V commercial campagne early and that means month before MP3 release.

No I don't think it really would. But I'm still not sure if R* would want to put two games out so close to each other.

NO ! R* North dosn't care when other R* studios gona release there games . GTA always gona be there top prioritie only they don't admit because they need to look good in gaming industries and make bunch of side projects (RDR, LA noire, Agent, )

TT won't mind 1,5-3m copies sold by knowing that 2 months later GTA V will top MW3 first day sales .

R* has to start GTA V commercial campagne early and that means month before MP3 release.

No, if other studios is about to release something, they will help eachother.

They're a team, not enemy's

I don't think GTA V will hurt MP3 sales. We all know as well as Rockstar that GTA is their top selling game. No matter when both games are released GTA V will sell better. But don't get me wrong I like MP so I'm gonna buy both games.

I eagerly anticipate both games (GTA V is anticipated more though), so I will be getting both. While GTA V won't be released in May, if it were, I don't think the sales of MP 3 would be affected too much. I think it would sell pretty well between March and May. The sales probably would be "slowed" if anything. By this, I mean GTA V would dominate in sells for a good amount of time, and then people will eventually get MP 3, if they can't get both around the same time.

caprisig.jpg

i think its plausible that GTA V could be released a few months after MP3.

i mean i'm not even going to play MP3, along with many other people..

but theres still people who love MP and will buy it regardless of when GTA V comes out..

idk, i'm no expert on R* and their marketing strategy, and i'm definitely no expert on MP.. but i don't see how people think GTA V can't be released a few months shortly after MP3.

and everyone thinking that GTA V will be released in Oct, yes the previous GTA games were released then, but those were the old GTA games, IV was released on April 29 i'm pretty sure?

i think R* might have changed it up and with the new GTA games, might start releasing them before the summer.

just putting my two cents in.. don't hate.

Mass Effect 3 will hurt MP3 more than V since they are both set for release on 3/6. I plan to get ME3... MP3 will have to wait.

Sunrise Driver

How? GTA V is coming in february-march-april? It's Mass Effect 3 or some other boring shooter can hurt MP3 sales and only for a bit.

How? GTA V is coming in february-march-april? It's Mass Effect 3 or some other boring shooter can hurt MP3 sales and only for a bit.

Which is my point basicly, I just dont see how some people seriously think the 2 games woud affect eachother too much other than in a positive way.

Long_Haired_Boy

Honestly no.

Max Payne 3 can come out next week and GTA V next year, this doesn't mean more people are going buy it.

All Rockstar needed to do is announce GTA V and keep it healthy until Max Payne 3.

Hydro_PlayboyX

imo, GTA is the best game in world of gaming so it will f*ck up any games sales if its being released at the same time

A 2 month gap is fine, 3 months maybe, we're getting it just in time for summer my guess would be. I don't think Rockstar want to keep people waiting too long and promoting gta around the same time as mp3 can only do good. In putting more eyeballs on Rockstar.

If GTA V's release was close to MP3's then yes, it would seriously hurt. Common sense tells you people who only have money for one will buy GTA V first, people who don't have money for either will save up for GTA V. With the current economic situation at hand, that much is pretty clear.

Mass Effect 3 is what R* have to worry about though, because GTA V is not releasing anywhere close to MP3.

LoveMediaExecutive

I'd say if Max Payne 3 has any sales problems it will be from other possible issues like the new direction which has put off some of the series more hardcore fans, a short campaign and/or very unfavorable fan reviews, if V comes out in May the fate of the game will have already been decided by then whether it's a flop or not depending on if the game holds up.

No I don't think it really would. But I'm still not sure if R* would want to put two games out so close to each other.

Im pretty sure R* have done it before and also, because of GTA 5 i have taken more interest and notice of R* and Max Payne 3, because of GTA 5 i am now getting Max Payne 3.

end of may would be fine for R*, I dont think it would affects sales of MP3

but I think we will get GTA5 at the end of july, which would give MP3 a full 4 months.

I dont think it will release in oct because 12 months is to long of a time and why would R* want go up against the big fall games, (even though GTA5 would come out on top it would still take sales away)

Edited by D-man7

People have enough money for two games. It's not like people are unable to buy anything else post to purchasing Max Payne 3.

Snake Without a Tongue

Wasn't it suggested that GTAIV effected the release of the Iron Man film? If a game has that much influence you're going to be careful not to step on your own toes. There's a lot of casual gamers out there holding their sixty bucks waiting to see when V is going to be released knowing that it will monopolize thier gaming time. If they know there's still six plus months wait ahead they'll be more likely to spend it on other games.