Building An Arcade Machine

_Rob_

Probably the best place to post it? Feel free to move it if not.

This week I've started work on an arcade machine that I am building out of coated MDF, and old PC and some other parts.

Quite heavily into this now, got my software side of it all set up, running on a system called Hyperspin, which allows multiple console and arcade machine emulation but all within the software, keeps the experience as close to an actual arcade as possible!

Will be using this as my arcade sticks

user posted image

Here are my blueprints

user posted image

And the marquee, which will be backlit as it should wink.gif

user posted image

Will update as I go!

Awesome is the answer tounge.gif, although I probably won't be playing many, aside from games light street fighter IV tounge.gif

I've been building MAME boxes since 2000.

The ones I have in my house are never powered down, so it is weird that the pictures I have of them are from the one day when I had them off for some upgrades.

Living room

user posted image

Dining room

user posted image

Kitchen

user posted image

I highly recommend building your own control panel over using one of those pre-built ones.

http://www.ultimarc.com/

http://na.suzohapp.com/

There's not much more that I would want than an arcade cabinet of my own. I envy you guys.

If I didn't already have the X-Arcade and love it, then I probably would build my own, but I really like it, and with a lifetime guarantee I will probably keep using it smile.gif

The one in your kitchen is damn sexy!

If I didn't already have the X-Arcade and love it, then I probably would build my own, but I really like it, and with a lifetime guarantee I will probably keep using it smile.gif

The one in your kitchen is damn sexy!

My fear of building a cabinet around the X-Arcade would be the lack of a track ball and spinner. That might just be me and my old school ways though.

I get super amazing deals on my cabinets, and the ones I use were all selected because of the art work. The Berzerk cabinet was chosen because it has the original instructions on the glass w/reference to Evil Otto. I would kill for a Donky Kong cabinet but my connection refuses to let me have one - even if I offer to pay the street price. I can't complain though, because he sells me full working games in complete cabinets for $100. Once I needed to stop by for a 19in vert monitor, and he wanted to sell me a pristine NBA Live 4 player cabinet with the 4 20some inch monitors included for $100 - I was in my little hatch back, so I left with a $15 19in vert monitor biggrin.gif .

Do me proud and use locking coin doors. I can't even express the satisfaction of having to use quarters to play the games. It is also a great way to save up some money. I even bought a motorcycle using the money my arcade machines make off of me.

Anyway...have fun with your project. I hope you find it as rewarding as I do. Seriously, I've had these things for years, and not a week goes by where I'm not dropping quarters into one of them.

I wasn't planning to use a coin door tbh, but I may do now you've said that. Really not sure. But yeah, I dunno whether I'm more looking forward to playing it or building it. i should be making a start gathering my materials at the end of the month when I'm paid. For now I will spend endless hours installing Hyperspin themes and gathering roms!

Building one of those would be fun. I hope you succeed and Trip has the coolest sh*t.

fV9tG4b.gif

Dude, same massive controller my good buddy Rob has, his setup uses a Coin Op case with a PC setup, using Sony Vaio desktop and Mame, his Mame ROMs cover a vast collection of all they've ever released, he's prided himself on getting all the Mame emulators collected! hahaha

He's about the only one who plays it though, since he also has actual REAL coin-ops others prefer instead

Edited by Slamman

his Mame ROMs cover a vast collection of all they've ever released, he's prided himself on getting all the Mame emulators collected!

I've been around MAME since it started. Heck, I still remember the 300 rom celebration as well as the excitement for new roms(like Juno First). My collection for MAME is 100% complete and I keep complete sets for all versions. I'm old school so I only run MAME on my cabinets, but I do maintain a complete collection of all the early console emulators and roms.

The home arcade projects have come a long way. Back when I started you had to use robotics components to interface with your pc. They weren't cheap and they were a pain in the ass to configure. I can't tell you how much I love Andy at Ultimarc and his iPac now a days.

my first keyboard interpreter.

user posted image