We're gettin' the band back together...

JoshGTAfreak

JoshGTAfreak

Ok, this topic is about older bands, from the 60's, 70's and 80's that keep getting back together. Does it annoy anyone else? It seems like every successful band from that era is getting back together, or already have in the past few years.

I think it's really hurting the music scene to be honest. In my opinion, these bands need to let go, in order to allow for newer bands to shine through.

It's not like they even get back together for a particular reason, other then as a cash grab. Maybe if a band felt they didn't end it properly, or something like that, it would be okay.

I mean, they'll never be as great as they were. I can't think of any band that has been greater then they were before they broke up (Prove me wrong?)

I like the olden times pop. MJ's was perfect. Thriller was awesome.

Hey, I don't know but did you used Search Feature? It is always recommended. smile.gif

I have no problems with old bands reuniting for tours. It lets the old fans reminisce, and gives the new (younger) fans a chance to catch a glimpse. See: Cream, Pink Floyd, Van Halen and soon, Black Sabbath.

Now, making new music is a different story altogether. That never sounds good. But I fail to see how that stops new bands from "shining through".

If an older band has something good to contribute I don't see the issue with it. It doesn't stop the newer bands from shining through at all, when you look at it a lot of newer bands are given plenty of chances to 'shine', they're given the magazine previews, interviews, TV adverts and performances so they're given loads of opportunities it's just up to them to run with it.

JoshGTAfreak

I personally think it does, specifically in the rock scene. All the older bands seem to get a lot more coverage on the news etc. It also makes it harder for adults to let go of the past and discover new music.

Did you even read past the first sentence Dr. John?

sh*t I'd give a left arm to see (what's left of) pink floyd together playing live!

It also makes it harder for adults to let go of the past and discover new music.

It doesn't though, people are inundated with new music via radio, television, posters, whatever everywhere they go. You go into a shop and 7-8 times out of 10 it's a current song as opposed to an older one. You listen to the radio it's more modern music then old music. On the television the interviews are with newer artists or bands.

Like I said though, if the band has something to contribute musically then it shouldn't really matter, it's a form of entertainment and if they're releasing something that does entertaining who cares whether they're a new or an old band. Again I reiterate my earlier point, it's up to the new bands to keep with the momentum they're given when they first come out.

This argument is just as bad as the one about there is no good current music.

If your band is being outshined in the news by an older band getting back together you aren't doing anything noteworthy.

The good bands stand out new or old.

I'd also like to point out, just because an older band gets back together doesn't mean its a cash grab(kiss not withstanding). It means they remembered how fun it was to play together and want to do it again.

JoshGTAfreak
It also makes it harder for adults to let go of the past and discover new music.

It doesn't though, people are inundated with new music via radio, television, posters, whatever everywhere they go. You go into a shop and 7-8 times out of 10 it's a current song as opposed to an older one. You listen to the radio it's more modern music then old music. On the television the interviews are with newer artists or bands.

Like I said though, if the band has something to contribute musically then it shouldn't really matter, it's a form of entertainment and if they're releasing something that does entertaining who cares whether they're a new or an old band. Again I reiterate my earlier point, it's up to the new bands to keep with the momentum they're given when they first come out.

You're right with the second point (The first is still debatable but I give that a rest because I don't think we'll come to an agreement. I love the band Blink 182 and I'm glad they got back together. It was terrible the way they broke up, and the really need to be able to end it well this time. I mean, I personally don't really like the new stuff, but it's better then nothing and refreshing.

I still can't think of a large 80's era band that have had a decent come back.

I have no problems with old bands reuniting for tours. It lets the old fans reminisce, and gives the new (younger) fans a chance to catch a glimpse. See: Cream, Pink Floyd, Van Halen and soon, Black Sabbath.

Now, making new music is a different story altogether. That never sounds good. But I fail to see how that stops new bands from "shining through".

This. Older bands reuniting for tours/singular shows (GnR at Rock N' Roll Hall Of Fame, perhaps?) is never a bad thing because of exactly what Marlowe said, however when older bands reunite, or even worse, come back with a new lineup, it always smells of a sellout - Chinese Democracy, f.e.

8wjrzl.png

I read in Rolling Stone magazine that the Beach Boys reunion could be in trouble, I hope not, all good groups with the skills to pay the bills ought to appease old and new generations, and yeah, as I mentioned, Hope to see Van Halen with Diamond Dave on the road again, and a full length album! ZZ TOP will be returning, but they never broke up, they will release a new album this year I believe.

I normally dont like bands that have been going for ages with one exception.

user posted image

WbZaxRP.png

evh5150vanhalen
I read in Rolling Stone magazine that the Beach Boys reunion could be in trouble, I hope not, all good groups with the skills to pay the bills ought to appease old and new generations, and yeah, as I mentioned, Hope to see Van Halen with Diamond Dave on the road again, and a full length album! ZZ TOP will be returning, but they never broke up, they will release a new album this year I believe.

Van halen album comes out febuary 7th, single comes out the 10th of this month and tickets for the tour go on sale the 10th aswell. They plaayed a little gig at cafe wha? tonight and played one new song, It was supposed to be streamed on Ustream but something messed up i guess, it was working for a while but then decided to quit.

https://twitter.com/#!/VanHalenNews/sta...5938560/photo/1

set list they did tonight.