Over Clockers Anonymous

Slamman

How about a thread all about our current OC endeavors? If we had one before, not sure I've seen it actively posted, so, I have a project I'm undertaking myself... an article I read touching on a 1.8Ghz E4300 CPU overclocked to 3Ghz on a YouTube channel

[and here:]

http://digg.com/news/story/How_to_overcloc...p_by_Step_Guide

, in Max PC, one that rates as 1.66Ghz was overclocked on a 1333Mhz FSB to 2.33GHz, this was a long time back, but it shows that we probably may have neglected some un-seen life in our older CPUs,

Are you running your setup straight out of the box, and perhaps if not, share some tips and BIOS screens of how you hot-rodded, AND cooled your overclocked rig.

Did you find some damage in trying for the best OC speeds? How did you deal with memory or slot timings, in the process?

A beginners guide to start with;

http://hexus.net/tech/tech-explained/cpu/9...uide-beginners/

Edited by Slamman

friendly luggage

Just overclocked my Asus GTX 560 Ti. FPS in GTA IV has gone up around 5 smile.gif

Standard clocks

Core: 830mhz

Shader: 1660mhz

Memory: 2004mhz

New clocks

Core: 940mhz

Shader: 1880mhz

Memory: 2200mhz

Just ran Heaven Benchmark 2.1 at 1920x1080 with high textures, 16x filtering, no antialiasing and medium tesselation. FPS was mostly 37-60 but could go up to 90 in some places.

Temperatures:

Idle: 29°C

Load: 61°C

user posted image

Same temps as standard clock which is wierd.

I once overclocked my previous video card, the GT 220.

Overclocking with 150 MHz barely made a difference in performance, but the temps raised from +85 C to +100 C lol.gif

Xeon X3440 CPU, BCLK OC'd from standard 133MHz to 164MHz (* 19 = 3116MHz) on stock voltage (1.1V). It can go much higher (it's not a problem to reach 4GHz), but I don't need more power right now wink.gif

74cXSsx.png

That Maximum PC article of SLI motherboards reviews, a CPU not much higher spec then mine; the E4300 as mentioned, I think it was the E4600 perhaps?

...had been clocked up to 2.33Ghz, that mentioned just adjusting the FSB at a higher setting would achieve, I'm not too astute myself since it depends on the OC tools per system, that's why I think this can be an aid as well as show n tell

I'll likely buy an Intel board for my processors I have, but Crossfire has always gotten a bad rep from most reviews I can remember, I'd like to hear new opinions about more then one card profiles

Mostly if you plan to run GTA V, I suspect you have similar performance for GTA IV

Edited by Slamman

I currently have two overclocked rigs. Q6600 @ 3.2GHz (6GB DDR2-800 4-4-4-12 2.0V,) and 2600K @ 4.3GHz (12GB DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 1.5V.)

For the Q6600, I've got it on an MSI P45 Platinum, 400MHz FSB, 8 multiplier. Q6600 stock has a 9x multi, however, the heat, volts, and marginal performance gain of 3.6GHz over 3.2GHz made me to decide to stick with 400x8, 1.325 volts. It runs cool (Tuniq Tower 120,) has lasted 4 years overclocked, and not even GTA IV can bring it down. Turned off all the power saving features as I wanted it running @ 3.2 at all times.

For the 2600K, I have the Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5-B3, running at 100.3MHz BCLK, just bumped the unlocked multi from 34 to 43 for 4.3GHz. Bumped the vcore from 1.28 to 1.31 volts. Temps are great (Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme) and this chip can run GTA IV @ 60FPS (Vsync) without breaking a sweat. Also turned off all power saving features, thus, this chip runs @ 4.3 24/7. Turned off turbo boost as well, as I don't need or want it.

As for your E4xxx processors, I would go for a P45, as they are the most flexible, and decently priced mobos that can do 400MHz FSB easily. Your E4300, with the 9x multi, shouldn't have too many issues with running 266MHz or even 333MHz FSB, giving you 2.4GHz or 3.0GHz effectively. You may or may not need a vcore bump, but I would try about 1.325 volts for 3GHz. It should be OK with stock heatsink but you may want to invest in something better (lower temps, quieter.) Keep in mind that as you bump the FSB, you will need to watch your RAM multiplier, and keep the RAM at stock speeds, to keep it from hindering your CPU overclocking.

All that being said, like I said in the other topic, if you have to invest more than about $100 in order to overclock the E4300, I wouldn't bother, and I would look into saving my money to get some newer tech. The E4300 (along with most Core 2 Duos, sans E8400, E6850,) won't do too amazingly great in GTA IV and the likes anyway, due to lower cache and only 2 cores. For example, my Q6600 @ 3.2 could outperform a 4.0 GHz Core 2 Duo in GTA IV, simply because it has more cores. Then of course, theres the 2600K @ 4.3, there's simply no comparison. Night and day.

Back in 2007, the E4300 proved a popular budget line C2D just for it's ability to overclock, I got mine at no charge, since it was disposed of by reason of a bad video card (nVidia 7400 IIRC) in the Dell XPS someone bought OEM I assume. I tried my PS 7950 (if I recall, it is a 7xxx series board with the Intel G31/33 chipset, and supports a large range of 45nm Intel 775 chips. The RAM is two slots, I think 4GB each max, or 8GB in all. I tried ramping the RAM ratio and the CPU clock no more then 300Mhz, it clocks up to 600Mhz manually and it can overclock the RAM and allow all manual settings, but I'm also new to the procedure, need to keep it from booting up to a black screen, and having no luck so far...

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/G31M3-L-V2---G31M3-LS-V2.html

My past overclocks were for DIP switched Jetway motherboards overclocking Celeron 500 (370 socket era), which they did rather well, and simply it seemed.

Edited by Slamman

friendly luggage

I never tried overclocking ram, seems wierd with the timings and stuff. 1600mhz DDR3 is fast enough (in seven years time I'll look back at this and laugh). Does overclocking your CPU by a large amount mess up the the ram timings?

Edited by illegal_luggage

I agree. Overclocking RAM is pretty pointless with RAM as cheap as it is. On the DDR3 platform, 1600MHz is plenty fast, especially for Sandy Bridge where BCLK overclocking is incredibly limited (not as much on the E version, but it's still relatively pointless.) On the Intel DDR2 platform, 800MHz is also plenty fast, for up to a 400MHz (1600MHz effective) FSB. You may want to consider overclocking your RAM if you go past 400MHz, but chances are your mobo won't allow that anyway, and even if it does, DDR2-1066 is cheap enough.

So instead of ramping UP your RAM multi, you should be turning it DOWN as you raise the FSB. Get the FSB as high as you can put it, adjust CPU multi as necessary, make sure CPU is stable, THEN if you really must, try overclocking the RAM.

Reading over the more direct link to overclocking the E4300, newly out at the time, and compared against the early 2007 CPUs, They made minor adjustments to RAM and other board stats, but using a Gigabyte board, I have an Asus board I nearly forgot about, it has it's own iA BIOS IIRC, settings for manual or auto, which vary between the MSI and Gigabyte obviously, this is where things get confusing for newbs to OCing, but seeing as how it has been done before, I plan to ratchet up my system, not sure what GPU to put with what board, at present.

friendly luggage
Reading over the more direct link to overclocking the E4300, newly out at the time, and compared against the early 2007 CPUs, They made minor adjustments to RAM and other board stats, but using a Gigabyte board, I have an Asus board I nearly forgot about, it has it's own iA BIOS IIRC, settings for manual or auto, which vary between the MSI and Gigabyte obviously, this is where things get confusing for newbs to OCing, but seeing as how it has been done before, I plan to ratchet up my system, not sure what GPU to put with what board, at present.

My friend at college has an E6400 I think. It's some intel core2duo from 2007. As you're looking for a graphics card for your system an ATi 6770 would go well.

Anyway is there any program what can display my gpu temperature while ingame? I have an Asus GTX 560 Ti.

Got an HD 5450 and nVidia 8600GT, I heard the 8600GT would be good to pair with the E4300 overclocked, which I didn't do, I used the HD 5450, and just started playing with the FSB, but so far, it booted to a black screen!?

The 8600GT is a Palit brand, with a large fan, the HD 5450 is a fanless, large Heat Sink for passive cooling, the 8600GT requires no PSU plug to run it, which is an advantage I'd say

It's paired up with a Q8200 Core2Quad

friendly luggage
The 8600GT is a Palit brand, with a large fan, the HD 5450 is a fanless, large Heat Sink for passive cooling, the 8600GT requires no PSU plug to run it, which is an advantage I'd say

It's paired up with a Q8200 Core2Quad

Well it depends on your needs. More powerful graphics cards need more power. The ATi 5450 is fanless (well your model anyway) because it isn't very powerful and doesn't produce much heat, it's a budget card. Anyway do you know any program that can show my GPU temp while gaming?

Back in 2007, the E4300 proved a popular budget line C2D just for it's ability to overclock, I got mine at no charge, since it was disposed of by reason of a bad video card (nVidia 7400 IIRC) in the Dell XPS someone bought OEM I assume. I tried my PS 7950 (if I recall, it is a 7xxx series board with the Intel G31/33 chipset, and supports a large range of 45nm Intel 775 chips. The RAM is two slots, I think 4GB each max, or 8GB in all. I tried ramping the RAM ratio and the CPU clock no more then 300Mhz, it clocks up to 600Mhz manually and it can overclock the RAM and allow all manual settings, but I'm also new to the procedure, need to keep it from booting up to a black screen, and having no luck so far...

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/G31M3-L-V2---G31M3-LS-V2.html

My past overclocks were for DIP switched Jetway motherboards overclocking Celeron 500 (370 socket era), which they did rather well, and simply it seemed.

As for your overclock. So if I understand correctly, you are using a G31M3-L V2, correct? I see you have mentioned the E4300, as well as the Q8200. Which one are you trying to overclock?

If it's the E4300, you should have better luck overclocking it, as it has a lot lower stock FSB (200MHz vs 333MHz) as well as a lot higher CPU clock multiplier (9 vs 7) compared to the Q8200.

For the E4300, I would recommend starting out with these settings:

In the CELL Menu, do this. Press F8, save, reboot, go back into the BIOS, CELL Menu, now, change "Adjust CPU FSB Frequency" to 333.

Now, since I don't know what kind of RAM you have, I am going to play it safe and assume it is DDR2-667. You can always change it if it's rated higher than that (later.) Under "Advanced DRAM Configuration" set CAS to 5, tRCD to 5, tRP to 5, and tRAS to 15, Command Rate 2T. Leave everything else on AUTO.

Now that you've done that, back in the main CELL menu, change the "FSB/Memory Ratio" to 1:1.

AND you're done (with the first step in your overclocking journey.) Go ahead and hit F10 and save. You are now running your E4300 at 3GHz with little-to-no effort.

Now, since that motherboard doesn't even allow CPU voltage adjustments, you are pretty much limited to speeds that can run on stock voltage. 3GHz is about the limit really.

As for the Q8200, things get a lot more complicated, as you will need a 400MHz FSB, and with a clock multiplier of 7, you'll still only get 2.8GHz. With no MCH voltage adjustments, your northbridge probably can't handle 400MHz FSB.

The Q8200 I bought new, like my i3 CPU, I paid about $130 USD on each, I baby that CPU, so overclocking it is not something I hope it needs to run newer games, I will overclock the E4300, on the MSI

The Core2Quad 8200 is paired to my GF7100 ECS Elitegroup, but I am thinking, my Asus P5Q SE2 would be a better system. I paid $25 for another Asus that is dating back more to 2005 or 06 for HP's Multimedia PCs, used in several models where analog video captures and DVD recording or DVR type applications came direct, I think it's too old for C2D, but it does work with 3 to 4 GB RAM that's DDR2, as I remember it set...

Did a search and I see this is a popular combo it seems?!

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/show...ad.php?t=325078

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/detail....bios=0305&memo=

The ECS PVT M3 model using nVidia MCP73 controller

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/ecs_gf7100pvtm/

Edited by Slamman