Irish Protagonist

Feen

@ Feen

Ok, your studies show that Limerick, Ireland has a one of Europe's highest murder rates. But so what ? That is just based on numbers RELATIVE to the town's actual population. It don't mean that the whole of Ireland is a rife with crime, gangs and violence. I know people from Ireland and people of Irish descent who go to Ireland a lot, and I've asked them about stuff like this. They all tell me that Ireland's cities and towns are generally not really violent places, there is not much gangland activity and gun crime is very rare. Forget the UK, London alone has more violence, gangs and gun crime than the whole of Ireland itself. In London, gang culture, gang wars, shootings and gunfights are now very common and a part of everyday life, its nothing for teenage kids to run wild in the streets with 9mm pistols and Mac 10 sub-machine guns, blastin' at each other - do you see any of this stuff happening in Ireland ? No, I don't think so. People do not see Ireland as a badass country with a high crime rate and Irish people do not have the reputation of being badass gangsters (only in the USA they once did and that reputation has long since gone), so stop kidding yourself man.

Here is a link about the London gangs : http://www.londonstreetgangs.com/

(When I say Ireland I mean the Republic, not Northern Ireland, I know that place sometimes can be dangerous, but the violence there is mostly political-based, rather than gangland-related).

Did you read it at all, Ireland its says has the second most homicides per population in Europe and the Irish cities are a lot more dangerous than London. And per population is the best way of doing it because otherwise it would be unfair on smaller countries

You had one source, so what? I've shown you two that states otherwise, and I could link to more.

I'm sure you wish everybody and their mother was in awe of how tough Ireland is. I'm from Sweden, here when people talk about Ireland(usually older people) it's about how cute their countryside is and how lovely it would be to go on vacation there.

@ Feen

Ok, your studies show that Limerick, Ireland has a one of Europe's highest murder rates. But so what ? That is just based on numbers RELATIVE to the town's actual population. It don't mean that the whole of Ireland is a rife with crime, gangs and violence. I know people from Ireland and people of Irish descent who go to Ireland a lot, and I've asked them about stuff like this. They all tell me that Ireland's cities and towns are generally not really violent places, there is not much gangland activity and gun crime is very rare. Forget the UK, London alone has more violence, gangs and gun crime than the whole of Ireland itself. In London, gang culture, gang wars, shootings and gunfights are now very common and a part of everyday life, its nothing for teenage kids to run wild in the streets with 9mm pistols and Mac 10 sub-machine guns, blastin' at each other - do you see any of this stuff happening in Ireland ? No, I don't think so. People do not see Ireland as a badass country with a high crime rate and Irish people do not have the reputation of being badass gangsters (only in the USA they once did and that reputation has long since gone), so stop kidding yourself man.

Here is a link about the London gangs : http://www.londonstreetgangs.com/

(When I say Ireland I mean the Republic, not Northern Ireland, I know that place sometimes can be dangerous, but the violence there is mostly political-based, rather than gangland-related).

Did you read it at all, Ireland its says has the second most homicides per population in Europe and the Irish cities are a lot more dangerous than London. And per population is the best way of doing it because otherwise it would be unfair on smaller countries

You had one source, so what? I've shown you two that states otherwise, and I could link to more.

I'm sure you wish everybody and their mother was in awe of how tough Ireland is. I'm from Sweden, here when people talk about Ireland(usually older people) it's about how cute their countryside is and how lovely it would be to go on vacation there.

As a whole England and Scotland are far more rough than Ireland. There's little chance you'll be a victim of crime in Ireland.

Ireland does however have a well-established organized crime scene ( but then again so do England and Scotland ). As a whole, Ireland isn't rough in the sense a place like the aforementioned Mexico or Brazil is rough.

I live in Belgium, just a stone's throw away from the Netherlands. Belgium isn't seen as a rough and dangerous country, but places like Brussels or Antwerp do have extremely dangerous neighborhoods. These neighborhoods are filled with disorganized, street level crime mostly commited by Moroccan youth ( note : I do not want to bash the Moroccan people, I have a lot of friends that are Moroccan. And there are big time organized Moroccan criminals too ). The organized crime in Belgium is completely controlled by Albanians, Italians ( I have distant Italians roots, but I'm no gangster biggrin.gif ) and Chechens. Belgian people themselves aren't likely to be involved in organized crime.

The Netherlands also isn't seen as a very violent and dangerous country. But they also have a very big underworld there with a lot of ethnicities controlling this underworld ( mainly in Amsterdam). This includes ethnic Dutch people.

My point is : a country may not be rough on the outside, but that doesn't mean that there aren't big criminal businesses going on just beneath the surface. You may not even notice mobsters involved in organized crime and they even can come across as nice and friendly guys but they're still as ruthless as any small time gang willing to rob you in broad daylight and when push comes to shove they're far more dangerous.

I love to be in the Netherlands by the way biggrin.gif I really think it's a nice country.

Well i got my countryman in GTAIV and Sean Devlin was great in Saboteur so why not,it woud be OK to play as Pckie or some other Irish guy.But this topics about specific ethnicity/race as a protagonist just bring nationalism and racism here,i mean is that so important.ANd which country have more murders isn't anything to be proud of,here we got a lot of murders and violence and it only make living here bad.

There have been no racist remarks so far and if you read most of the discussions you will see how even though the protagonist is a core point of the subject it is also about gangs, and this kind of topic is actually very good, I think as it highlights key points of how ethnicity's should go with certain based cities, all to do with realism and fun.

Yes and i wish it didn't end like some other topics end up,i like i said no problem with prootagonist of any nation.

Official General

Begbiepwn

No disrespect, but you don't need to tell me this, because that was never the argument. I know that big organized crime groups are in Ireland, many of them have major criminal operations and drug networks in the the UK, where I live. Like you said, most countries have a criminal underworld. But the essential argument here is that Feen is trying to paint a picture of Ireland as country with cities and towns that are openly brimming with organized crime/gangs running rampant and the streets are unsafe with all kinds of urban violence, gun crimes and homicides. That of course, is not quite true, Ireland is just not like that. Northern Ireland was once like that, but most of the violence and killings were politically motivated and even that stuff has greatly calmed down over the last decade or so.

I'm not not saying it dies not happen in Ireland, its just not on the levels that feen is making it out to be. There are certainly big crime syndicates in Ireland, but the country is not known for having a big gangster culture or a serious problem with urban crime and violence.

@ acmilano

Yeah I played that game the Sabotuer, it wa brilliant, and the main character, Sean Devlin was brilliant, now that was one very good Irish protagonist!

GamingTheConsole
Yeah definitely, I would love to play as a tough Irish bastard, who drinks and all that stuff just like Packye.

Im Northern Irish And I Take That Quite Offensive. Stereotypes Are Just Stereotypes. Not Everyone In Ireland And Northern Ireland Drink. Like Saying All Americans Or Fat Or All English People Drink Tea Which Isn't True.

Begbiepwn

No disrespect, but you don't need to tell me this, because that was never the argument. I know that big organized crime groups are in Ireland, many of them have major criminal operations and drug networks in the the UK, where I live. Like you said, most countries have a criminal underworld. But the essential argument here is that Feen is trying to paint a picture of Ireland as country with cities and towns that are openly brimming with organized crime/gangs running rampant and the streets are unsafe with all kinds of urban violence, gun crimes and homicides. That of course, is not quite true, Ireland is just not like that. Northern Ireland was once like that, but most of the violence and killings were politically motivated and even that stuff has greatly calmed down over the last decade or so.

I'm not not saying it dies not happen in Ireland, its just not on the levels that feen is making it out to be. There are certainly big crime syndicates in Ireland, but the country is not known for having a big gangster culture or a serious problem with urban crime and violence.

@ acmilano

Yeah I played that game the Sabotuer, it wa brilliant, and the main character, Sean Devlin was brilliant, now that was one very good Irish protagonist!

You're right about that. Ireland is not a violent country on the level Feen is trying to make it out to be. And Dublin is certainly no Ciudad Juarez.

Eventually, every big city will have some level of violent crime...

I'm just for the sake of it, since I can because it's relevant to the topic and something to ramble about since I have literally nothing better to do at the moment since I've done everything else I needed to do, am going to outline what I think would be best for V.

If there were to be an Irish protagonist, or Irish-American, he would have to be an independent criminal and not in an Irish mob or gang like in IV because the real life LA underworld has hardly if any major Irish crime influence. If he did have a gang they shouldn't all be Irish but of mixed ethnicity's. Pretty much like in Heat the movie.

Since, in my opinion the protagonist of V being the white looking fellow is 7/10 because of his many appearances in the trailer. Personally if he has to have a certain ethnicity apart from being abbreviated as white, Armenian would be a good one to go for, since there is quite a large Armenian organized crime presence in LA. The reason I say Armenian is because I can't think of how a normal, average white person would fit well into an LA based game about the underworld. I know there are white criminals and probably gangs as well in LA obviously, but I just can't think of a certain, average white-American crime group in LA, apart from Eurasian one's and biker, Racist gangs which he doesn't look like any of the last two.

I know there are white criminals and probably gangs as well in LA obviously, but I just can't think of a certain, average white-American crime group in LA, apart from Eurasian one's and biker, Racist gangs which he doesn't look like any of the last two.

The Aryan Brotherhood is pretty powerful in the drug and extortion business. Not only within the prison walls, but also on the streets. They originate in California, but I think they are far more active in Texas.

That said, I can't picture Rockstar letting you play as a racist redneck type of guy. But I do have a feeling that Aryan Brotherhood is going to play some part in the storyline of GTA V.

Official General

I personally would like see an American character of Mexican descent, I think it would be perfect for GTA V's Los Angeles-inspired setting. He could have ties to street gangabangers, prison gangs, Mexican drug cartels, and it would all fit in very well. That is why I'm hoping its not just one protagonist, espeically if its really that middle-aged white guy.

If protagonist is irish i hope it will be Gerry McReary. He is biggest and baddest badass in McReary family, Patrick is just wannabe-Gerry.

Fuzzknuckles
If protagonist is irish i hope it will be Gerry McReary. He is biggest and baddest badass in McReary family, Patrick is just wannabe-Gerry.

The entire Mcreary family were just awful - dead weight characters, possibly the worst in GTA history (IMO).

They just got lucky, by being in the most memorable mission strand of IV. The characters, though, were terrible. Badly acted, ill-conceived dead weight.

Signatures are dumb anyway.

The entire Mcreary family were just awful - dead weight characters, possibly the worst in GTA history (IMO).

They just got lucky, by being in the most memorable mission strand of IV. The characters, though, were terrible. Badly acted, ill-conceived dead weight.

This. They seem to be overrated imho