Irish Protagonist

Feen

I'd like to see an Irish protag too, but not on this game. As people already said, there's no Irish mob in LA. Having an Irish mob in GTA V would be very unrealistic.

BTW, HAPPY NEW YEAR! for those living in Europe, Africa, Asia, Oceania... I still have to wait like 5 hours confused.gif

iGrandTheftAuto

DRUGS RULE!!!

You're probably some 14 year old idiot saying that just to make yourself look cool.

user posted image

What the f*ck is the fascination with Ireland and Irish characters? I really don't understand it.

Because we are f*cking amazing.

Maybe there will be huge rewards for killing Britons.

Hello dear comunity. I just changed my password into something I am unable to remember. It has been a lot of fun here, one of the best GTA dedicated forums I have ever visited. The mods are doing a great job and I wish you all the best. I love you, every single one of you (apart from Zee [what a fanny]).

What the f*ck is the fascination with Ireland and Irish characters? I really don't understand it.

I agree with this, we totally are bad ass. nuff said.

JoanCrawford
What the f*ck is the fascination with Ireland and Irish characters? I really don\'t understand it.

Someone seems quite full of themselves. What else of a reputation do the Irish have besides being drunkards?

G1T

scotland4life
Maybe there will be huge rewards for killing Britons.

I'd back that, since I want Scottish independence. =P

Weve never seen a bad ass Irish American protagonist but who has a conscience.He could also have a big family,have a bad ass brother and be a druggie, someone like Patrick McReary. I think we'll have one in GTA V. The reasons for my choice are as follows:

-The Irish have always had a big influence in the American crime world such as Whitey Bolger, Pat Nee and Bugs Moran to name but a few. Just look at the list. Bugs Moran was once one of Al Capone's biggest rivals and had a big influence in the American crime world and Whitey Bolger is known as one of the biggest snitches in American history.

-The Irish invented drive by shootings.

- Weve had many Irish American gang films such as the Departed.

-Ireland is the second roughest countries in Europe with big European gangs in cities such as Limerick and Dublin who deal a lot in gangs. 

-There are many 45 million Irish Americans in American,many of whom are  in SF if it is going to feature.

-It's possible that the narrator in the video is Irish American although he may not be the protagonist, maybe a brother,an uncle or other side character.

There are? I live in San Francisco and I've never heard about this big amount of Irish gangs you mention. Nor have I really heard about them much in California period

I'd say that'd be more of a Boston, Philadelphia thing

Anyways I wouldn't be opposed to it but I don't care about ethnicity regardlesss

Edited by Branimir202

Official General

@ Dyersy

If we were talking about the Irish gangsters of the 1920s/1930s in New York, Chicago and the ones of the 1950s/1960s in Boston, then yes, your words would ring very true. They certainly would have been considered very badass back then. In those days, the very meaning of the word 'gangster' was synonymous with three main ethnic groups, and one of them was definitely Irish.

In the last few decades though it has all changed, as Irish-Americans have long shed their reputation of having a significant organized crime element within their community and culture. I'm pretty sure most people in the USA do not see Irish people as badass in today's society. The badass image in the USA today generally goes to the African-American and Hispanic street-gang/drug-dealer stereotyped characters from the inner-city ghettoes, and the traditional gangster image is still wholly dominated by the Italian-American Mafia and to some extent, the Russian Mob stereotyped characters. Sorry bro, but most people do not see an Irishman and identify him being as a badass gangster criminal in this day and age.

@ Feen

Oh by the way, Ireland the 2nd roughest country in Europe ?? Are you on crack ?? Of course its not, Ireland is one of the safest countries in the European Union !! I'm from the UK which is right next to Ireland, and I have never heard of any major gangster activity and violence that frequently occur there. I'm not saying it don't happen, I'm sure it does, but Ireland is definitely NOT one of Europe's roughest countries.

Edited by Official General

You're probably some 14 year old idiot saying that just to make yourself look cool.

go take a vibrator and stuff it in your ass. Done

G1T

@ Feen

Oh by the way, Ireland the 2nd roughest country in Europe ?? Are you on crack ?? Of course its not, Ireland is one of the safest countries in the European Union !! I'm from the UK which is right next to Ireland, and I have never heard of any major gangster activity and violence that frequently occur there. I'm not saying it don't happen, I'm sure it does, but Ireland is defiitely NOT one of Europe's roughest countries.

I agree with this, I'd even venture out and say the UK is "rougher" than Ireland nowadays. Infact I'm sure of it.

The UK is "poorer" than Ireland anyway

http://www.indexmundi.com/g/r.aspx?v=69

Population below poverty line:

UK 14%

Ireland 5,5%

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11...Africa-U-S.html

Infact, as you see in the above link. The UK is the most violent country in the EU, (per number of violent crimes).

"It has a higher homicide rate than most of our western European neighbours, including France, Germany, Italy and Spain."

While Ireland wasn't even in that top 10 list.

Northern Ireland used to be pretty rough a few decades ago though. And Ireland used to be the poorest country in europe a century or so ago. But today it's a different story.

Ireland is not rough.

Irish people are not rough.

It's a pretty soft country(crime and poverty wise) and the there people are people like anywhere else. Irish people are not gentically superior or tougher than any other ethnic group.

@ Feen

Oh by the way, Ireland the 2nd roughest country in Europe ?? Are you on crack ?? Of course its not, Ireland is one of the safest countries in the European Union !! I'm from the UK which is right next to Ireland, and I have never heard of any major gangster activity and violence that frequently occur there. I'm not saying it don't happen, I'm sure it does, but Ireland is defiitely NOT one of Europe's roughest countries.

I agree with this, I'd even venture out and say the UK is "rougher" than Ireland nowadays. Infact I'm sure of it.

The UK is "poorer" than Ireland anyway

http://www.indexmundi.com/g/r.aspx?v=69

Population below poverty line:

UK 14%

Ireland 5,5%

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11...Africa-U-S.html

Infact, as you see in the above link. The UK is the most violent country in the EU, (per number of violent crimes).

"It has a higher homicide rate than most of our western European neighbours, including France, Germany, Italy and Spain."

While Ireland wasn't even in that top 10 list.

Northern Ireland used to be pretty rough a few decades ago though. And Ireland used to be the poorest country in europe a century or so ago. But today it's a different story.

Ireland is not rough.

It's a pretty soft country(crime and poverty wise) and the there people are people like anywhere else. Irish people are not gentically superior or tougher than any other ethnic group.

A UN report on its roughest countries in terms of homicides per 100,000 people for the years 2010-2011:

The Republic had 3.59 murders per 100,000 people, while England and Wales had 1.71 and Northern Ireland had 1.73, making it 8th in the UN and 2nd in Europe.

Lithuania had a rate of 4.13, while Scotland and Finland both had 1.89.

The world's highest murder rate is in the South American state of El Salvador, where there were 58.07 homicides per 100,000 people in 2006.

The US had a rate of 4.62.

In terms of cities, Dublin's 4.02 rate and Limerick's 6.88 rate compare with 2.05 in London, 3.99 in Glasgow, 3.37 in Belfast, and 5.56 in Riga, making Limerick the roughest city in Europe.

European cities with a much lower murder rate than Dublin and Limerick included Rome at 0.96, Prague at 1.69, Madrid (1.18) and Berlin (1.47).

There, it is, happy now?

Edited by Feen
user posted image

I'm 100% sure that the Irish mobsters still pretty much control Boston's underworld. The Italians, Russians ( more Russian and Ukrainian Jews in the USA really), Albanians,...don't have any presence in Boston at all. Irish gangsters were powerful and although their power may have declined a bit over the years, they still are powerful. I'm positive there are still heaps of Irish gangsters none of you would go near, let alone tell the guy to his face that he isn't rough.

Dublin still has a sh*tload of powerful Irish crime lords ( Christy Kinahan even set up something in Antwerp) and 'till this day no other ethnic group has even tried to take over Dublin's underworld.

In short : no, the Irish aren't pussies.

That said, an Irish protagonist in LA would be a bit out of place.

Official General

Ireland is not rough.

@ negrodamus

I must say I kind of agree with this. Right here where I live in London (UK), Irish people are known for being rough, but NOT tough, criminal/gangster types (although some powerful crime families in are of Irish descent, like the Adams of London and the now-defunct Noonans of Manchester). If there is any negative portrayal of the Irish where I'm from, it is just the perception that a lot of them love to drink a lot of alcohol, thats about as rough as it gets. A few decades back, people in London used to stereotype Irish people as rough trailer-dwelling thieves, hustlers and fearsome terrorists, obviously because of the IRA thing, but that has stopped now, because there is no real IRA activity anymore.

@ Feen

Ok, your studies show that Limerick, Ireland has a one of Europe's highest murder rates. But so what ? That is just based on numbers RELATIVE to the town's actual population. It don't mean that the whole of Ireland is a rife with crime, gangs and violence. I know people from Ireland and people of Irish descent who go to Ireland a lot, and I've asked them about stuff like this. They all tell me that Ireland's cities and towns are generally not really violent places, there is not much gangland activity and gun crime is very rare. Forget the UK, London alone has more violence, gangs and gun crime than the whole of Ireland itself. In London, gang culture, gang wars, shootings and gunfights are now very common and a part of everyday life, its nothing for teenage kids to run wild in the streets with 9mm pistols and Mac 10 sub-machine guns, blastin' at each other - do you see any of this stuff happening in Ireland ? No, I don't think so. People do not see Ireland as a badass country with a high crime rate and Irish people do not have the reputation of being badass gangsters (only in the USA they once did and that reputation has long since gone), so stop kidding yourself man.

Here is a link about the London gangs : http://www.londonstreetgangs.com/

(When I say Ireland I mean the Republic, not Northern Ireland, I know that place sometimes can be dangerous, but the violence there is mostly political-based, rather than gangland-related).

@ Begbiepwns

You say there is no Italian Mafia presence in Boston ? I think you are wrong about that man. Have you ever heard of Raymond Patriarca and Raymond Patriarca Jr of Providence, Rhode Island ? Check them out and read up on them if you haven't. The New England branch of the Mafia in fact used to totally dominate the criminal rackets not just in Boston, but in the whole region at some point. I'm pretty much sure there still Italian organized crime elements operating in Boston, but I'd would agree with you and say the Irish are still more powerful there today, but GTA V is set in Los Angeles and not Boston. As for Dublin's underworld ? A lot of the city's drug trade is controlled by West African gangs (mainly Nigerian). And nobody said the Irish are pussies either, all that is being said is that an Irish protagonist is not suited to GTA V.

Interesting discussions going on here. To also add on about Boston or Rhode Island based organized crime, there are both I am sure both Italian and Irish organized crime still, probably all sorts these days considering America has so many different crime groups now. But yes, the Patriarca crime clan is now run by Peter Limone, and if you read about that massive mafia bust back in 2011, then you would also see that the former boss of the family, Luigi Manocchio was arrested for extortion, trying to shake down local businesses. The family is definitely not what it was in the 60's and 70's, but it's traditional rackets still continue and that is things like Extortion, Narcotics trafficking, Gambling e.t.c. In fact here are a few links on the matter for those who are interested. Link 1 / Link 2. The second link is very scandalous in the fact that it alleges that the mobster was informing for the FBI whilst being protected for his further crimes.

Anyway, Back on topic rolleyes.gif The fact that we know V is being set in Los Santos and it's surrounding areas, An Irish protagonist in my opinion wouldn't suit because firstly there isn't much if any major Irish organized crime activity going on right now, and I don't even know if they had a presence there before.

Edited by Sanjeem

Ireland is not rough.

@ negrodamus

I must say I kind of agree with this. Right here where I live in London (UK), Irish people are known for being rough, but NOT tough, criminal/gangster types (although some powerful crime families in are of Irish descent, like the Adams of London and the now-defunct Noonans of Manchester). If there is any negative portrayal of the Irish where I'm from, it is just the perception that a lot of them love to drink a lot of alcohol, thats about as rough as it gets. A few decades back, people in London used to stereotype Irish people as rough trailer-dwelling thieves, hustlers and fearsome terrorists, obviously because of the IRA thing, but that has stopped now, because there is no real IRA activity anymore.

@ Feen

Ok, your studies show that Limerick, Ireland has a one of Europe's highest murder rates. But so what ? That is just based on numbers RELATIVE to the town's actual population. It don't mean that the whole of Ireland is a rife with crime, gangs and violence. I know people from Ireland and people of Irish descent who go to Ireland a lot, and I've asked them about stuff like this. They all tell me that Ireland's cities and towns are generally not really violent places, there is not much gangland activity and gun crime is very rare. Forget the UK, London alone has more violence, gangs and gun crime than the whole of Ireland itself. In London, gang culture, gang wars, shootings and gunfights are now very common and a part of everyday life, its nothing for teenage kids to run wild in the streets with 9mm pistols and Mac 10 sub-machine guns, blastin' at each other - do you see any of this stuff happening in Ireland ? No, I don't think so. People do not see Ireland as a badass country with a high crime rate and Irish people do not have the reputation of being badass gangsters (only in the USA they once did and that reputation has long since gone), so stop kidding yourself man.

(When I say Ireland I mean the Republic, not Northern Ireland, I know that place sometimes can be dangerous, but the violence there is mostly political-based, rather than gangland-related).

@ Begbiepwns

You say there is no Italian Mafia presence in Boston ? I think you are wrong about that man. Have you ever heard of Raymond Patriarca and Raymond Patriarca Jr of Providence, Rhode Island ? Check them out and read up on them if you haven't. The New England branch of the Mafia in fact used to totally dominate the criminal rackets not just in Boston, but in the whole region at some point. I'm pretty much sure there still Italian organized crime elements operating in Boston, but I'd would agree with you and say the Irish are still more powerful there today, but GTA V is set in Los Angeles and not Boston. As Dublin's underworld ? A lot of the city's drug trade is controlled by West African gangs (mainly Nigerian). And nobody said the Irish are pussies either, all that is being said is that an Irish protagonist is not suited to GTA V.

Yes, I'm sorry I should've done better research on that smile.gif There's indeed a mafia presence in Boston, but I believe the Irish are still more powerful there. People also still believe that the Irish mob still operates in Hells Kitchen. They aren't as loud, as big and as barbaric anymore as they used to be, but that doesn't mean they've been completely wiped out.

As for Dublin : they still do have powerful Irish crime lords there. Some of them even set up shop in Amsterdam ( although there are also some Liverpudlians who have been doing business in Amsterdam). But you are completely right with saying that the Nigerians ( who have been forming pretty powerful organizations over the past years ) are doing big business, not only in Dublin but also in other cities throughout the world.

Are the Adams still powerful in London ?

I've also heard that in London there used to be some Maltese mobsters running some crime factions. Do they still exist there ?

Edited by Begbiepwns

Official General

@ Begiepwns

I can agree with you in saying that the Irish Mob are probably the most powerful organized crime group in Boston right now, despite the fact that overall, their power and influence had declined. The Italian Mafia still exists in Boston, but I'm just not sure what their status is now, but I'll safely assume that they too have been in great decline as a force, as with the other Mafia groups across the USA. As for the Irish Mob still being in Hell's Kitchen ? I honestly could'nt say for sure if they still exist undercover, but I do know that the last major Irish gang in New York City were the Westies of Hell's Kitchen, and they have definitely been long defunct and dissolved. I very recently saw a documentary about them. Most organized crime groups, mobs and mafias in New York City and other big U.S. cities generally operate in a very low-key, discreet manner these days anyway. Of course Dublin has many powerful Irish crime lords, but the argument there was not about that, it was about Feen trying to tell us that Ireland is a very rough country and violent crime and gang activity occurs very frequently and openly. I don't believe Ireland is like that at all.

Yes, the Adams crime syndicate are still very powerful in London, they are the closest thing to a home-grown mafia crime family in the UK. The leader Terry Adams was released from jail a few years back and his personal fortune alone is alleged to be over a £150 million, the press liken him to a modern-day Al Capone. However, they are trying to keep a low-profile these days to deflect attention and pressure from law enforcement. Even though the Adams are of Irish descent, they would more be described as a native White British crime group, rather than an Irish one, as most of them were born in the UK. I don't think Maltese gangsters are big in London in anymore, I certainly don't hear about them. The very powerful and much feared Turkish drug organizations, along with the mafia-style Albanian gangs are the main crime groups of Mediterranean origin in London.

@ Sanjeem

I agree, there are so many different ethnic organized crime groups operating in the USA these days that is hard to know exactly who controls or dominates what and where. Plus with a lot of pressure and attention from law enforcement, mafias and crime groups are a lot more low-key and less visible more than ever, so its much harder to get conclusive information obn the state of their activities and abilities.

I dont care if the protagonist is irish, dutch, or middle eastern, all i want is to play the f*cking game

An Irish protagonist sounds okay. As long as he's not the type that does drugs like Packie.

A protagonist trying to leave his MS-13 gang would be cool lol.

I didn't realize we invented drive-by shootings, I'm kind of proud of that tounge.gif

But as much as I'd love an Irish protagonist, there was no indication in that trailer that we will get one, maybe in dlc or something, Blood and A Four Leaf Clover?? i hope so

@ Feen

Did you read it at all, Ireland its says has the second most homicides per population in Europe and the Irish cities are a lot more dangerous than London. And per population is the best way of doing it because otherwise it would be unfair on smaller countries

user posted image

Stoic Intrusion

love the arguing about which country is tougher and the one with the higher murder rate wins. First of all the homocide rate says absolutely nothing about the "toughness" of the ppl for all we know could be mothers stabbing their daughters or grandsons chocking their grandmothers LOL!!...and secondly, come on...how old are you guys? this is nothing to be proud of infact its something to be ashamed of.

Edited by Kai Jellyboo

I think he very well could be Irish and possibly a Mcreary which might be the reason Packie got on a plane, they put too much emphasis on Packie leaving during TBOGT credits for it to mean nothing . Even the design of the V could hint at some sort of Irish connection, I know its supposed to symbolise a 5 dollar bill but I remember Packie saying something along the lines of “Ireland aint the only thing that's green, dollars are too” its a bit of a stretch but maybe the logo relates to that quote.

Official General

@ Feen

Look bro, you just need to stop thinking all this stuff in your head, those little statistics mean nothing. Of course Irish cities have crime and badness. But I'm talking about specifically about stuff to do with gangs and guns. You know that no Irish city is more dangerous than London when it comes to gangs and gun crime, not even close to it. London has more gun crime and gang activity than any country in Western Europe (including Ireland), its a fact. I'm sure there are gangs and gun crime in Ireland but it is not as frequent as it is in London or other parts of the UK. Read that London gangs link I sent you and tell me if any Irish city can claim to have all that stuff goin on like it does in London. I'm sure you cant.

@ Kai Jellyboo

LOL I'm sorry about that, it was was not meant to come across like that. You are right, one should not be proud about their city having a lot of crime and badness. I just feel the need to challenge someone if they giving out inaccurate information on a subject to others when I know that particular subject well myself. I live in the UK which is next to Ireland a stone's throw away and I would have been very aware of this big, thriving gangland scene and explosive violent crime/homicide rate that Feen dubiously claims to exist in Ireland. I'm just pointing out that his information is inacurrate and not reliable.

When one looks at Italy, people don't think violence and gun crime and toughness. Yet it's criminal underworld is one of the most vast. When people look at Mexico, they probably think violence right away, and yet it has a vast criminal underground as well. In other words, there can be many gangs and organized crime groups in a country, Like Mexico and Italy which both have very large and powerful one's, but yet Mexico is 100 times more violent than Italy, and I'm not trying to make them seem worse.

It's the same with Cities like London and Dublin, they both have gangs and crime groups, but in general looking at the culture and the statistics provided, London is generally more violent than somewhere like Dublin or a city in Ireland. I think that is similar to what OG is trying to say.

When one looks at Italy, people don't think violence and gun crime and toughness.

Well, Naples is pretty effed up biggrin.gif

Official General

When one looks at Italy, people don't think violence and gun crime and toughness. Yet it's criminal underworld is one of the most vast. When people look at Mexico, they probably think violence right away, and yet it has a vast criminal underground as well. In other words, there can be many gangs and organized crime groups in a country, Like Mexico and Italy which both have very large and powerful one's, but yet Mexico is 100 times more violent than Italy, and I'm not trying to make them seem worse.

It's the same with Cities like London and Dublin, they both have gangs and crime groups, but in general looking at the culture and the statistics provided, London is generally more violent than somewhere like Dublin or a city in Ireland. I think that is similar to what OG is trying to say.

@ Sanjeem

Once again, well-said and very true indeed. The Italy-Mexico comparison was a very good example.

@ Begbiepwns

You are right about Naples, that city is rife with Mafia actvitiy, mob wars, drugs, and lots homicides, many of them gangland-related. However, I don't think its as bad as even what the most average-sized Mexican city with drug cartels has to offer.