Irish Protagonist

Feen

Official General

NO

I would not want an Irish protagonist for GTA V. I don't feel it would suit the Los Angeles-based location and period that game is set in. The LA criminal underworld is dominated by street gangs, nearly all of which are Hispanic and African-American, hence why you are always hearing talk about Hispanic or Black protagonists on here, to answer your question. The only other criminal organizations in that are of major importance in LA are the Mexican drug cartels, and to a much lesser extent, the Armenian mafia, the Russian Mob and maybe Triads. Even the Italian-American Mafia barely exist in LA anymore, but they are still there. But, there is no mention of the Irish Mob, because they have no real significant presence or influence the LA criminal underworld, or anywhere else on the U.S. West Coast for that matter. I'm a fan of realism so I would really want GTA V to be near accurate repsentation of reality with regards to its location and gangs, so for me an Irish protagonist would not be suited to the game.

An Irish protagonist is more suited to a U.S. East Coast city-based location like Boston, where a strong Irish organized crime scene probably still exists. Even then, Irish-American crime groups in general have long been in decline, even before the Italian-American Mafia began its own decline in the late 1980s/early 1990s. The last major Irish gang on the East Coast were the Westies of New York City and their time was back in 1970s. There has been no major Irish crime group to surface since, even the Boston Irish Mob has gone quiet, or into decline.

I appreciate your undying, strong sense of patriotism and affinity for your Irish identity/ancestry AND you made some good points about the well-established, long Irish presence in the history of American organized crime. However you need to understand that times have changed, things have changed and the stuff you speak about was of a long-gone era. However, if the protagonist is who many on here believe him to be (Ned Luke-lookalike), he is White American, so your wish could still come true as he could be of Irish descent. But to honest with you, he looks and sounds more like a White American guy of Italian descent to me.

Weve never seen a bad ass Irish American protagonist but who has a conscience.He could also have a big family,have a bad ass brother and be a druggie, someone like Patrick McReary. I think we\\\'ll have one in GTA V. The reasons for my choice are as follows:

-The Irish have always had a big influence in the American crime world such as Whitey Bolger, Pat Nee and Bugs Moran to name but a few. Just look at the list. Bugs Moran was once one of Al Capone\\\'s biggest rivals and had a big influence in the American crime world and Whitey Bolger is known as one of the biggest snitches in American history.

-The Irish invented drive by shootings.

- Weve had many Irish American gang films such as the Departed.

-Ireland is the second roughest countries in Europe with big European gangs in cities such as Limerick and Dublin who deal a lot in gangs. 

-There are many 45 million Irish Americans in American,many of whom are  in SF if it is going to feature.

-It\\\'s possible that the narrator in the video is Irish American although he may not be the protagonist, maybe a brother,an uncle or other side character.

No. I still don\\\'t see whats so special about the Irish. I also don\\\'t understand why they like to flaunt their little Ireland flags around like they are so great. I mean, I\'m of German descent but you don\'t see me walking around going \"I\'m a German!\" as if its something desirable.

Edited by JoanCrawford
G1T

LoveMediaExecutive

Why would it matter if he's Irish or not? I've met many Irish people and they are just like everyone else, but of course the whole ethnic background thing really get's blown out of proportion in this day and age. I actually didn't notice Packie was Irish until I read his last name as he sounded and acted like any other person in that line of work who's arrogant and armed to the teeth.

NO

I would not want an Irish protagonist for GTA V. I don't feel it would suit the Los Angeles-based location and period that game is set in. The LA criminal underworld is dominated by street gangs, nearly all of which are Hispanic and African-American, hence why you are always hearing talk about Hispanic or Black protagonists on here, to answer your question. The only other criminal organizations in that are of major importance in LA are the Mexican drug cartels, and to a much lesser extent, the Armenian mafia, the Russian Mob and maybe Triads. Even the Italian-American Mafia barely exist in LA anymore, but they are still there. But, there is no mention of the Irish Mob, because they have no real significant presence or influence the LA criminal underworld, or anywhere else on the U.S. West Coast for that matter. I'm a fan of realism so I would really want GTA V to be near accurate repsentation of reality with regards to its location and gangs, so for me an Irish protagonist would not be suited to the game.

An Irish protagonist is more suited to a U.S. East Coast city-based location like Boston, where a strong Irish organized crime scene probably still exists. Even then, Irish-American crime groups in general have long been in decline, even before the Italian-American Mafia began its own decline in the late 1980s/early 1990s. The last major Irish gang on the East Coast were the Westies of New York City and their time was back in 1970s. There has been no major Irish crime group to surface since, even the Boston Irish Mob has gone quiet, or into decline.

I appreciate your undying, strong sense of patriotism and affinity for your Irish identity/ancestry AND you made some good points about the well-established, long Irish presence in the history of American organized crime. However you need to understand that times have changed, things have changed and the stuff you speak about was of a long-gone era. However, if the protagonist is who many on here believe him to be (Ned Luke-lookalike), he is White American, so your wish could still come true as he could be of Irish descent. But to honest with you, he looks and sounds more like a White American guy of Italian descent to me.

Yes but my point is weve seen already seen protags. who are hispanic,italian,russian etc. it seems weveseen every type of criminal ethnicity besides irish

user posted image

Weve never seen a bad ass Irish American protagonist but who has a conscience.He could also have a big family,have a bad ass brother and be a druggie, someone like Patrick McReary. I think we\\\'ll have one in GTA V. The reasons for my choice are as follows:

-The Irish have always had a big influence in the American crime world such as Whitey Bolger, Pat Nee and Bugs Moran to name but a few. Just look at the list. Bugs Moran was once one of Al Capone\\\'s biggest rivals and had a big influence in the American crime world and Whitey Bolger is known as one of the biggest snitches in American history.

-Ireland is the second roughest countries in Europe with big European gangs in cities such as Limerick and Dublin who deal a lot in gangs. 

-There are many 45 million Irish Americans in American,many of whom are  in SF if it is going to feature.

-It\\\'s possible that the narrator in the video is Irish American although he may not be the protagonist, maybe a brother,an uncle or other side character.

No. I still don\\\'t see whats so special about the Irish. I also don\\\'t understand why they like to flaunt their little Ireland flags around like they are so great. I mean, I\'m of German descent but you don\'t see me walking around going \"I\'m a German!\" as if its something desirable.

thats cos unlike germans, the irish have forever fought hard for freedom

user posted image

Weve never seen a bad ass Irish American protagonist but who has a conscience.He could also have a big family,have a bad ass brother and be a druggie, someone like Patrick McReary. I think we\\\\\\\'ll have one in GTA V. The reasons for my choice are as follows:

-The Irish have always had a big influence in the American crime world such as Whitey Bolger, Pat Nee and Bugs Moran to name but a few. Just look at the list. Bugs Moran was once one of Al Capone\\\\\\\'s biggest rivals and had a big influence in the American crime world and Whitey Bolger is known as one of the biggest snitches in American history.

-It\\\\\\\'s possible that the narrator in the video is Irish American although he may not be the protagonist, maybe a brother,an uncle or other side character.

No. I still don\\\\\\\'t see whats so special about the Irish. I also don\\\\\\\'t understand why they like to flaunt their little Ireland flags around like they are so great. I mean, I\\\'m of German descent but you don\\\'t see me walking around going \\\"I\\\'m a German!\\\" as if its something desirable.

Are you kidding me? You don\'t think my people fought for freedom when the wall was put up after WW2? That was an ongoing struggle that lasted for centuries. Look, I\'m not trying to make this a whos-better contest but why Irish? What is so great about them? What sets them apart?

G1T

Weve never seen a bad ass Irish American protagonist but who has a conscience.He could also have a big family,have a bad ass brother and be a druggie, someone like Patrick McReary. I think we\\\\\\\'ll have one in GTA V. The reasons for my choice are as follows:

-The Irish have always had a big influence in the American crime world such as Whitey Bolger, Pat Nee and Bugs Moran to name but a few. Just look at the list. Bugs Moran was once one of Al Capone\\\\\\\'s biggest rivals and had a big influence in the American crime world and Whitey Bolger is known as one of the biggest snitches in American history.

-It\\\\\\\'s possible that the narrator in the video is Irish American although he may not be the protagonist, maybe a brother,an uncle or other side character.

No. I still don\\\\\\\'t see whats so special about the Irish. I also don\\\\\\\'t understand why they like to flaunt their little Ireland flags around like they are so great. I mean, I\\\'m of German descent but you don\\\'t see me walking around going \\\"I\\\'m a German!\\\" as if its something desirable.

Are you kidding me? You don\'t think my people fought for freedom when the wall was put up after WW2? That was an ongoing struggle that lasted for centuries. Look, I\'m not trying to make this a whos-better contest but why Irish? What is so great about them? What sets them apart?

well no offence to germans but they started ww2 so they brought it on themselves. The irish were constantly oppressed by britain and it wasnt even 100 yeats ago yet when they escaped british rule!

user posted image

these ethnicity topics are so annoying... i don't care what ethnicity the protag is. Would I love to see a Puerto Rican protag for once? sure, but I'm not gonna go and start a whole topic about it.

Weve never seen a bad ass Irish American protagonist but who has a conscience.He could also have a big family,have a bad ass brother and be a druggie, someone like Patrick McReary. I think we\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'ll have one in GTA V. The reasons for my choice are as follows:

-The Irish have always had a big influence in the American crime world such as Whitey Bolger, Pat Nee and Bugs Moran to name but a few. Just look at the list. Bugs Moran was once one of Al Capone\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s biggest rivals and had a big influence in the American crime world and Whitey Bolger is known as one of the biggest snitches in American history.

-It\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s possible that the narrator in the video is Irish American although he may not be the protagonist, maybe a brother,an uncle or other side character.

No. I still don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t see whats so special about the Irish. I also don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t understand why they like to flaunt their little Ireland flags around like they are so great. I mean, I\\\\\\\'m of German descent but you don\\\\\\\'t see me walking around going \\\\\\\"I\\\\\\\'m a German!\\\\\\\" as if its something desirable.

Are you kidding me? You don\\\'t think my people fought for freedom when the wall was put up after WW2? That was an ongoing struggle that lasted for centuries. Look, I\\\'m not trying to make this a whos-better contest but why Irish? What is so great about them? What sets them apart?

well no offence to germans but they started ww2 so they brought it on themselves. The irish were constantly oppressed by britain and it wasnt even 100 yeats ago yet when they escaped british rule!

The Nazis started WW2, most Germans feared them so they went along with it. Anyways, I don\'t think that the man in the trailer even looks Irish so unless there are multiple protagonists, we probably won\'t see one.

G1T

these ethnicity topics are so annoying... i don't care what ethnicity the protag is. Would I love to see a Puerto Rican protag for once? sure, but I'm not gonna go and start a whole topic about it.

Luis was Puerto Rican

user posted image

Luis was Puerto Rican

He was Domincan.

Luis was Puerto Rican

He was Domincan.

Oh sorry cove my mistake

user posted image

Luis was Puerto Rican

He was Domincan.

Oh sorry cove my mistake

No worries. I don't have a problem with Domincans. We're really close in culture but there is a difference.

Edited by Mikey_Navaja

Some people want Irish, some people want African, some people want American, some people want Italian, yada yada blah blah blah!

I could care less what race the protag is as long as the story is great, it's very in depth, he has a history, and he is loveable, like CJ or Tommy inlove.gif Lmao. Niko IMO was pretty straightforward and bold, but he lacked some characteristics like being a complete badass. Would I like to see a Filipino character? We've never seen one. There's a lot to go off of a Filipino character. Did I sound just like what you said in this topic? Yes.

My point is, we all want to see OUR version of a protagonist, but in sad reality... R* controls that and some people get their wish, a very FEW get their wish. While most of us? We can only dream sarcasm.gif

interpolfan11

This game is based on the West Coast, which is far more of a "melting pot" than the East Coast. Nationalities (especially ones that are predominantly Caucasian) tend to blend and traditional ethnic archetypes like "guidos" or Irish mobsters are not in abundance.

Therefore, I think the protagonist will simply be either Mexican, African-American, or Caucasian (without an overriding nationality)

Some people want Irish, some people want African, some people want American, some people want Italian, yada yada blah blah blah!

I could care less what race the protag is as long as the story is great, it's very in depth, he has a history, and he is loveable, like CJ or Tommy inlove.gif Lmao. Niko IMO was pretty straightforward and bold, but he lacked some characteristics like being a complete badass. Would I like to see a Filipino character? We've never seen one. There's a lot to go off of a Filipino character. Did I sound just like what you said in this topic? Yes.

My point is, we all want to see OUR version of a protagonist, but in sad reality... R* controls that and some people get their wish, a very FEW get their wish. While most of us? We can only dream sarcasm.gif

one question: where filipinos ever big in the american crime world?

user posted image

Official General

Yes but my point is weve seen already seen protags. who are hispanic,italian,russian etc. it seems weveseen every type of criminal ethnicity besides irish

@ Feen

Yeah, I hear that, and this leads me to kinda see where that Joan Crawford person is coming from. It seems like you really do believe the Irish are so special that they must have their turn in getting a GTA protagonist belonging to their own ethnicity. Take a chill pill on the whole patriotic pride thing. So simply because we have seen other ethnic protagonists, you're saying it must be the turn of the Irish ? I'm sorry bro, it dont always work like that in GTA. There are specific reasons as to why you may see protags of certain ethnicities in GTA, simply because Rockstar believes it suits the theme of the game and generally adheres to the real-life situation. Big-time Irish gangs are now a thing of the past, did you not listen to the McCrearys in GTA IV ? Why are you complaining about this anyway ? The McCearys played a significant role in GTA IV, we had a good bit of Irish criminality in that game, whether the protag was Irish or not. That in itself was not very realistic, because Irish gangs are not really prominent in New York anymore, they hardly even exist. But we had them in the game, so you should be grateful.

Rockstar generally will place a heavy emphasis on realism when they create a protagonist and the criminal underworld his story revolves around and within. And judging from that, it does not sound like there will be an Irish protagonist in a Los Angeles/Southern California-inspired location. I just don't think an Irish protagonist will suit GTA V for reasons I have already given, it does not matter whether we haven't had one yet, that is not the point at all.

@ interpolfan11

Yeah that makes a lot sense, I would have thought the same thing.

Edited by Official General

I could care less what race the protag is as long as the story is great, it's very in depth, he has a history, and he is loveable, like CJ or Tommy  inlove.gif Lmao.  Niko IMO was pretty straightforward and bold, but he lacked some characteristics like being a complete badass.  Would I like to see a Filipino character?  We've never seen one.  There's a lot to go off of a Filipino character.  Did I sound just like what you said in this topic?  Yes. 

My point is, we all want to see OUR version of a protagonist, but in sad reality... R* controls that and some people get their wish, a very FEW get their wish.  While most of us?  We can only dream  sarcasm.gif

one question: where filipinos ever big in the american crime world?

Just a wish.

I want the protag to either be African-American or Hispanic. I just don't think an Irish protag would work in LA, I could see it in Boston or NY but not LA.

scotland4life

What the f*ck is the fascination with Ireland and Irish characters? I really don't understand it.

What the f*ck is the fascination with Ireland and Irish characters? I really don't understand it.

icon14.gif

Stoic Intrusion
Well, to quote Ed Byrne

The Irish have been populating the world since we figured out how to get into a boat

Since America is just made up of immigrants then for all we know Calude may have been of Irish decent.

Just on a side note, why are the Americans so into this Irish-American, Italian-American, etc... It's like when I was in Vegas and met a guy who said he was Scottish. Turned out his great great granddad was scottish. That don't really count.

And if it does at what point do we stop?

Can I say I am ape-african-frensh-irish-scottish?

yea... when i was in New York ppl kept telling me they're german, irish, italian ect and then when i would ask from where exactly in germany they're from they would look at me like im crazy.

It has always been weird to me that americans refer to themselves as german or whatever even though they have nothing to do with those countries.

I just want something new. We already had an african-american (CJ), an Italian (Tommy), a Serbian/someone from east Europe (Niko) and a hispanic (Luis). I don't care whether he ist Irish or not. Although I really liked Irish from RDR.

In LA? I'm going to doubt that one. Although I've yet to find any reasoning behind biker gangs in Harlem, either.

Well, to quote Ed Byrne

The Irish have been populating the world since we figured out how to get into a boat

Since America is just made up of immigrants then for all we know Calude may have been of Irish decent.

Just on a side note, why are the Americans so into this Irish-American, Italian-American, etc... It's like when I was in Vegas and met a guy who said he was Scottish. Turned out his great great granddad was scottish. That don't really count.

And if it does at what point do we stop?

Can I say I am ape-african-frensh-irish-scottish?

Yea thats how they see it over there, in europe ure considered a part of a country ifu speak the language my father is from another country but since i dont speak the language im considered full swedish by most people