GTA IV on my laptop playable?

Cyanogen

Guys. First of all, I have no money at all to buy a console, upgrade my hardware, or do anything. All I have is an old copy of GTA IV pc my cousin is going to give me as soon as I know it'll run. I'm dying to play it (before V comes out), havn't played ANY gtas except vice city and III on my iphone. I have a 2008 Compaq presario CQ50 (given to me) running intel celeron 585 @ 2.16 GHz with 2 GB ram and Intel GMA X4500 (mobile). It's definitely not a dual core, nor does it have any kind of discrete card. I need any kind of FREE solution to get this thing to run so I can experience it...including some overclocking (need a tutorial). OC might not be a bad idea (deliberate sabotage to see if my parents will sell an organ to upgrade because my laptop is broken dunno how it happened) devil.gif But I need an opinion. I've looked at several YT vids of it running on GMA X4500 fairly smooth (I'm okay with like 15-20 fps I get that on runescape min settings) but they did mention having dual core...ugh. I'm really desperate at this point...want to play it sooo bad...*sobs quietly*...

You will not get it running at 20fps on that laptop, if at all, on lowest settings. It's the harsh truth and no amount of tweaking or overclocking will be able to remedy that on this laptop spec, unfortunately.

Hell, if the thing has problems with Runescape.. how on earth can you expect it to run GTA 4?

DU8afL0.jpg

Only reason I mentioned RS was because GTA IV came out in 08 and RS gets these continual updates so I figured if I could load RS now then GTA IV should be cool too since it's old. Funny how my laptop came out in same year as GTA IV but are GENERATIONS apart...I guess it's back to GTA III on my phone and vice city on ps2...

Only reason I mentioned RS was because GTA IV came out in 08 and RS gets these continual updates so I figured if I could load RS now then GTA IV should be cool too since it's old.

Too bad you can't say that with IV.

This game is just very different, it almost has a mind of it's own turn.gif

Some have dual core processor's at 2.5 GHz and they run the game fine at medium settings.

I have a quad core processor at 2.5 GHz and I run the game at about 25 fps at high settings whatsthat.gif

I guess it's back to GTA III on my phone and vice city on ps2...

I was told they had released a game called GTA: San Andreas already, which ought to be as fun as Vice City..

I guess it's back to GTA III on my phone and vice city on ps2...

I was told they had released a game called GTA: San Andreas already, which ought to be as fun as Vice City..

Troll.

G1T

I'm not trying to be a troll here, but you ever heard of a gaming console? As a game that needs something short of a space station to run on Max settings, a large calculator like yours would not be able to run it even at the most horrific looking settings wink.gif

Seriously though, just buy yourself a console. It would be cheaper than upgrading your PC to something that would make it look better than on a console anyway smile.gif

As everybody else has said, It's not possible to play the game with that computer without buying a new laptop/desktop. Contrary to what Summersify says, though, I suggest you save up and buy a new laptop, as it will be of much more use then a gaming console, especially since this generation of consoles is coming to a close. Another option would be to try to play GTASA on your computer- its VERY cheap, your computer may be able to run it, and it is one of the best GTAs to play, regardless of graphics.

cpu-world says its a socket P. could get a dual core off of ebay. i upgraded my celeron 900 in my acer 5230e to some a t5800 ($7 pull from local computer store)

but i think its ridiculous to play a game as resource intensive like GTA IV on a laptop. it was causing blue screens in one of my desktops, the northbridge in that stupid nforce xfx board was overheating, even with physx disabled devil.gif

ultimately? install the game and see if it works. lower all of the details to low and the distances to 0. let us know how it goes

Edited by unc13bud

ultimately? install the game and see if it works. lower all of the details to low and the distances to 0. let us know how it goes

That is NOT possible, as the game will not even load(thus meaning there is no chance to get to the options menu) with an Intel Video card, as I have confirmed that back in 2008, I had an Intel Core 2 Duo(Centrino) @ 2.0GHZ, 2GB DDR2 Ram, and an Intel GMA 965 and XP Pro SP3, and the game would not load at all-just went to the spinning CD icon and then to the black screen like it was going to start, but then went back crashed back to desktop....and this is on a Dual core, and since the OP only has a Single-core processor, there is NO chance of that happening...Just a friendly heads up... tounge2.gif

but i think its ridiculous to play a game as resource intensive like GTA IV on a laptop

Actually laptops are quite well for gaming, as every laptop I have had play games way better than my desktop does/did...For Example, I can max. out SA on the laptop above with an Intel Video card, but on my desktop with an ATI video card, it only runs well on Low settings....same goes for VC and III. IV runs at High settings on this laptop I have now(the newest one-the one above is my other laptop, which I still have) whereas IV will not run on the desktop...So, i'm afraid that part is false? Just curious? confused.gif Also, laptops have a BIG benefit that desktops do not offer-and that is portability-meaning you can take it with you and play games on the go(same concept as the PSP, but for PC games)-try doing that with a desktop-it's NOT going to happen like with a desktop. lol tounge2.giflol.gif

Also, still on that topic about laptops vs. desktops, I have/had a laptop with an AMD Sempron @ 798MHZ, 256MB ram(1GB now), a SIS/VIA video card w/32mb vram and XP Home SP2(at first) and SP3 now that ran SA quite well(as I played many a Chain Game rounds on it), whereas my old desktop that was a little higher in specs-an AMD Sempron @2.10 GHZ, 256MB ram(then 1.18GB), a VIA/SIS video card with 64mb vram and XP Home SP2, and SA would not even run on it even though that one had double the vram and a lot higher clock speed on the processor than the laptop had...This is a good example that obviously specs are not everything? Just curious? confused.gif

Edited by radioman

he said that his parents gave him the laptop and someone else gave him the game. its not like he loses any money if he blows it up (a waste maybe)

he could start GTAIV in safe mode, then adjust. or better yet, just use commandlines to knock everything as low as it can possibly go. i don't use them, but its not like he has anything to lose... btw, original poster, get a laptop cooler biggrin.gif you WILL need it

but i think its ridiculous to play a game as resource intensive like GTA IV on a laptop.

Really? That's strange since I have been playing GTA IV modded with Realizm IV 6.2 on the latest patch at 1920 x 1080 resolution on my 17'' laptop, everything set to high and all sliders set to 50, AF x16

Here is a benchmark of GTA IV on my laptop, note that the CPU usage is not reported accurately because GTA IV sees 8 Cores as opposed to 4 so the real CPU usage is around 92%.

On average, I would say that the real in game performance is often about 10 fps less than the benchmark results but I still get very acceptable performance. If I play vanilla GTA IV, it is not as smooth but still perfectly playable.

Statistics

Average FPS: 59.39

Duration: 37.10 sec

CPU Usage: 46%

System memory usage: 47%

Video memory usage: 51%

Graphics Settings

Video Mode: 1920 x 1080 (60 Hz)

Texture Quality: High

Shadow Quality: High

Reflection Resolution: High

Water Quality: High

Texture Filter Quality: Anisotropic x16

Night Shadows: High

View Distance: 100

Detail Distance: 100

Hardware

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Service Pack 1

Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 485M

Video Driver version: 265.77

Audio Adapter: Line 1 (Breakaway Pipeline)

Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz

File ID: Benchmark.cli

Some one else called HTwingnut who owns the same laptop as me did a benchmark with all of the sliders at 100% and mmost settings at Very High.

GTA IV benchmark, 1080p, everything maxed, all distance sliders to right @ 100% (raw data from benchmark file):

Statistics

Average FPS: 40.35

Duration: 37.37 sec

CPU Usage: 69%

System memory usage: 23%

Video memory usage: 63%

Graphics Settings

Video Mode: 1920 x 1080 (60 Hz)

Texture Quality: High

Shadow Quality: Very High

Reflection Resolution: Very High

Water Quality: Very High

Texture Filter Quality: Anisotropic x4

Night Shadows: Very High

View Distance: 100

Detail Distance: 100

Hardware

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 485M

Video Driver version: 265.77

Audio Adapter: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)

Intel® Core™ i7-2720QM CPU @ 2.20GHz

File ID: Benchmark.cli

Edited by Lodis