Soundtrack - Musical Scores

cp1dell

In Red Dead Redemption, what made the experience and the atmosphere great were the musical scores. Well at least in my opinion. The game had such a great story, and it felt like playing a movie. At the end of TBoGT, you're not in a vehicle and the music kicks in. Perfect for the moment. It was strange hearing music outside a vehicle in Grand Theft Auto, but it worked. So what do you think? Do you think GTA V should have musical scores like in Red Dead Redemption?

hmm, Don't think it would work in GTA.

If they had music that played when the cops were chasing you, what would happen when you get in a car? Would be annoying having other music over the radio, or not being able to listen to the radio during a chase.

It would add to the game as the right music at the right tiem can get you more excited, panicing, etc... But I just don't see how it would work with the radio stations when in a car.

hmm, Don't think it would work in GTA.

If they had music that played when the cops were chasing you, what would happen when you get in a car? Would be annoying having other music over the radio, or not being able to listen to the radio during a chase.

It would add to the game as the right music at the right tiem can get you more excited, panicing, etc... But I just don't see how it would work with the radio stations when in a car.

Excatly This^

Maybe only during missions than. The radio soundtrack has been scripted before to play certain music in missions. So maybe during a mission where you are not in a vehicle there can be background music to fit in with the atmosphere.

Maybe only during missions than. The radio soundtrack has been scripted before to play certain music in missions. So maybe during a mission where you are not in a vehicle there can be background music to fit in with the atmosphere.

Yeah, but imagine if you had dramatic music playing for the mission then jumped in a car to find the music changes to some cheesy upbeat 80's music.

Just would not work.

And if they set the radio to play a sertin type of song that would piss you off. Get out to do a phone mission, then get back into the car to find that song you really like is now off.

It is a good idea but again, I dont see how it would work. They should just keep it the way it is in GTA IV. Some music plays after a mission for a few seconds and then fades out.

It was ok in TBOGT, sorta. It didn't bother me a whole lot since it was at the end of the final mission, but it was a bit weird. I don't mind hearing music playing out of the blue in other games because in those other games this sort of thing has been with the series from the start, so I expect it. I always enjoyed Halo's randomly epic music playing at key moments in gameplay for example. But for GTA, to implement a feature like that this late in the series just doesn't quite sit right with me, I'd rather just hear music when I'm in a car. I'm too used to hearing the sounds of what's going on around me, like peds screaming, gun fire, and my enemies taunting me to be ready to accept random music scores popping out of nowhere during this on the regular basis, even if it's just in missions. It's not really necessary at this point in my opinion.

nice idea, and it WAS discussed - at great length - about a year ago, but bumping said topic would be against rules anyway.

Nah - it won't suit GTA. IMO half the art of GTA is walking the streets, hearing the cars, the peds, even the clip clop of their feet, the ambience.

III, VC, SA, they all had good backing SFX - SA with the gun shots more notedaby.

I often turn off the ST in RDR, Assassin's creed etc, just to feel more of the game (and often listen to the ST when i can't sleep!)

but a musical score in GTA? No, won't work, as nice an idea as it is, and i'd just turn it off (but buy the ST on my ipod!)

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

087rqaU.pngVw81Z2a.pngxWvxZoT.png1fb6cYB.png

Click here to view my Poetry

Limiting the musical score to the beginning, ending, mission-complete cues, and a few key moments in the story (similar to how songs were used in Red Dead Redemption), is the right approach for GTA. GTA IV used a big variety of mission completion cues to express emotions about the progress of the story just as well as a full score would.

L.A. Noire's use of musical score while driving during cases, even though there was in-game radio (just one station), proved why it wouldn't be great in GTA. The score is good but it was one more thing telling you what to do and how to feel in a game that's very linear, while GTA should be less linear and let the player do what they want, how they want to do it.

Musical Score in cutscenes?...it will work.

Musical Score while driving? It's called radio in GTA

Musical Score while chasing someone on foot? Good.

Musical Score while shooting assholes in the last mission? Perfect!

Yeah, but imagine if you had dramatic music playing for the mission then jumped in a car to find the music changes to some cheesy upbeat 80's music.

Just would not work.

And if they set the radio to play a sertin type of song that would piss you off. Get out to do a phone mission, then get back into the car to find that song you really like is now off.

It is a good idea but again, I dont see how it would work. They should just keep it the way it is in GTA IV. Some music plays after a mission for a few seconds and then fades out.

It has to be during certain missions when you can't enter a car or situations that fit duhhh. Jeez

Do you happen to have a link to that topic, or the title? I'd like to read that discussion.

you talkin to me? YOU TALKING TO ME?!

tounge.gif

If so, nah, i don't - it was before V trailer, around the same time of "where is the blue" or maybe "genesis" -

The topic went pretty much how this one is - everyone said it was a good idea but wouldnt work in GTA

I like how it was done in GTA IV: the game's theme song plays over the first cutscene, and the Phillip Glass song that you can hear in the first trailer and on The Journey plays over the last cutscene. The only other music played in cutscenes during the game is the licensed songs that play where it would make sense, e.g. in a car, in a dance club. During actual gameplay, the only music you'd hear would be the radio stations.

It's a little off topic, but I really liked how, in IV, you could hear the radio from inside passing cars when walking down the street. Just a nice little touch from Rockstar.

Sunrise Driver

Why do you want every feature from RDR to GTA? GTA is much better and doesn't need anything from RDR.

So no. I don't want any musical scores apart from intro and cutscenes. Another reason why GTA is awesome is freedom of music.

P.S. IMO "No Security" didn't fit last mission.

It has to be during certain missions when you can't enter a car or situations that fit duhhh. Jeez

O' I'm sorry. I thought we were having a grown up discussion, where people were allowed to express opinions different from yours.

I don't know if I am still being stupid, but I can't think of any mission where you were locked out of all cars. The point of a free roam game is taht you can do what you want with minimal limitations.

The reason the music worked in RDR is because there was no radio stations to interupt the music.

Now, how about you try and discuss there point with me without being f*ckinng rude!

I personally loved the way the music was played in Departure Time in TBOGT and I would like to see that more often.

That said, it should be done carefully, if all gunfights are accompanied with music, it will lose any interest. But in key moments of the storyline, or just when it feels appropriate.

The way I see it, we could have music specially made for the game in cutscenes (like in ending cutscenes in almost all GTAs, only this time it could be in other cutscenes as well), and licenced songs from the soundtrack (i.e. songs we can hear on the radio) during gameplay, only on certain occasions, mostly when the mood is more "casual" than dramatic.

Maybe gunfights aren't the best time to place music though, but in on-foot chases that'd be great (if we have more of these than in IV that is). And more importantly, it should fit with the situation. TBOGT's theme being nightclubs, it felt appropriate to hear electro-music in the final mission. Just like there could be some occasions in TLAD to place some songs from LRR, or hip-hop songs in IV when we're in Bohan, that kind of things.

But again, it should remain a relatively rare occurrence, but if R* announced such a feature, I'd totally trust them to do it properly.

I don't know if I am still being stupid, but I can't think of any mission where you were locked out of all cars. The point of a free roam game is taht you can do what you want with minimal limitations.

We're not talking about music constantly playing throughout the mission, we're talking about songs for certain key parts of some missions. When you're chasing a target on foot through back-alleys, you can't go into a car or you'll lose the target, same for gunfights, once you're fighting your way into a building, you don't go back outside, cruise around in a car and come back an hour later to finish the job. So there are countless moments in GTAs where you can't really drive a car.

Edited by Tipper

We're not talking about music constantly playing throughout the mission, we're talking about songs for certain key parts of some missions. When you're chasing a target on foot through back-alleys, you can't go into a car or you'll lose the target, same for gunfights, once you're fighting your way into a building, you don't go back outside, cruise around in a car and come back an hour later to finish the job. So there are countless moments in GTAs where you can't really drive a car.

Good point. I can see how the music would work well in those situations.

But say 50% of the missions in the game are as you described, and the other 50% are missions where you are in and out of cars. If they did not play the music over the radio then it would seem quite inconsistant.

For example if one mission is as you descirbed, following someone on foot which leads to a gun fight between you and a few peds. That mission would have music.

Then if the next mission you were picking someone up which led to a car chanse with 2 or more cars following you firing uzis. That mission would not have music.

The second mission is much more dramatic/action packed, so that is why I do not think the music would work. It would be too inconsistent, or a pain if it knocked out teh radio just to play the music.

It doesn't need to be in all missions. in fact I wouldn't like if it was in all or even most missions. I guess one out of 10 mission would be ok. If they include music during missions, it should be only when it fits the situation.

I'll try to think about several missions in IV where it would work. I'll edit this post later.

EDIT : Well, here are some examples of situations from IV where I could see some music :

Concrete Jungle : After the set-up at the deal, Niko and Jacob go the house of those responsible and engage them. This fight would be the right time to play some reggae IMO (well, the fight is very short so it'd be nearly pointless, but let's imagine it's much longer)

Ivan the not so terrible : the chase I was thinking about, on the roofs, the music from the third trailer would be cool here.

Escuela of the streets : the final part, the gunfight in the warehouse in Bohan, time for a hip-hop song

The Snow Storm : once you grab the coke and the cops come towards you, I could see a small part of The Who's The Seeker (not too long since we usually take a vehicle to escape)

Holland Nights : gunfights in Uptown projects, so why not some hip-hop

A Long Way to Fall : fight in Uptown projects, but going after a latino target, so why not some music from San Juan Sounds

Late Checkout : fight in Majestic Hotel, I could imagine some jazz playing.

And that's about it, maybe a couple more but not too many.

Edited by Tipper

It doesn't need to be in all missions. in fact I wouldn't like if it was in all or even most missions. I guess one out of 10 mission would be ok. If they include music during missions, it should be only when it fits the situation.

I'll try to think about several missions in IV where it would work. I'll edit this post later.

There are a lot of missions where the music would work and would be good. But again its the inconsitency of it only being in selected mission which makes me think R* would not bother with it.

As I think someone said above, during cutscenes and just the mission complete music we had in IV is probably all R* would do.

Plus just thinking about some missions in IV when you were following someone, just hearing the distant bustle of the city and Niko's breathing as he ran was good. It was enough to get you focused on the job at hand.

EDIT : Well, here are some examples of situations from IV where I could see some music :

Concrete Jungle : After the set-up at the deal, Niko and Jacob go the house of those responsible and engage them. This fight would be the right time to play some reggae IMO (well, the fight is very short so it'd be nearly pointless, but let's imagine it's much longer)

Ivan the not so terrible : the chase I was thinking about, on the roofs, the music from the third trailer would be cool here.

Escuela of the streets : the final part, the gunfight in the warehouse in Bohan, time for a hip-hop song

The Snow Storm : once you grab the coke and the cops come towards you, I could see a small part of The Who's The Seeker (not too long since we usually take a vehicle to escape)

Holland Nights : gunfights in Uptown projects, so why not some hip-hop

A Long Way to Fall : fight in Uptown projects, but going after a latino target, so why not some music from San Juan Sounds

Late Checkout : fight in Majestic Hotel, I could imagine some jazz playing.

And that's about it, maybe a couple more but not too many.

See personally none of those examples would work IMO. It'd feel gimmicky and tacky.

Maybe not musical scores. But an acoustic song or instrumental at certain major parts in the story would work well.

In addition to the completion small tunes, I'm surprised no one has mentioned that GTA's always been having it's own music. Or I've missed a post.

GTAIII had its own intro song. It also had it's own credits song.

Vice City had it's own credits song, too.

San Andreas kindof had it, it was just a modified version of the theme song, IIRC. IV followed through this in its credits.

TLAD had a solo and solemn guitar version of its theme. And TBoGT didn't have it all.

Needless to say, I would love for V to follow through this. However, in the same fashion as RDR and L.A. Noire, like other have said, it wouldn't work.

Keep it strictly to the side-mission/mission complete/theme song/credits.

How about specific missions only? Missions which will affect the player greatly, like say a final showdown with a main antagonist? They could start when the player reaches the destination where he'd have to walk from then onwards? That way it wouldn't mix the radio stations with the soundtrack.

Though to be honest, GTA without its own soundtrack doesn't affect me much, the radio stations are already good enough soundtrack on its own.