Eight Days - GTA V

œaœa

All credit to the Excellent Ben Cordell of Sticktwiddlers for this remarkable piece of journalism. I’m truly in awe of this guy’s dedication to a well written news story.

Ben was lucky enough to come into contact with an industry professional about two weeks ago, who showed him some footage of the game Eight Days, which was recently put on hold after 5 years of development. Some of you may remember the trailer above, which was announced at E3 back in 2006.

If there’s one thing you can take away from that footage, apart from the fact it looked bad-ass, is specifically, the animation was very impressive. Ben commented on how impressed he himself was in regards to the animation, and was rewarded with a secret from the contact that GTA V will probably have similar animation to this, as one of the animators that worked on Eight Days is now working on GTA V.

You could be forgiven for thinking this is a rather tenuous link, and that one animator will not affect the animation of the game a large amount, however, you’d be wrong.

Ben did some further research, and discovered that the employee in question is probably none other than Jim Jagger. Jim states on his Personal Website that he was under the employment of SCEE, working as principal animator on Eight Days, and guess where he is now? That’s right, working as Lead Animator for Rockstar North, the guys behind GTA.

Personally, I’m both thrilled by the work of Ben, making me feel like a complete bogus by reporting on press releases and other content, and also that the animation could be as good as the stuff shown in Eight Days. Throw in the possible rumours of MotionScan facial technology, and you’ve got yourself a living, breathing (sadly not set in London) kickass GTA world.

Source: RobotGeek

video of Eight Days:

I personally would love to see that kind of action in GTA V.

What we do know, and the only area of speculation as far as I can tell, is this game was used as a Dummy for GTA V leaks, and yet, it was already debunked some time ago, so, I doubt it will be a Rockstar game or a GTA game, for sure!

What we do know, and the only area of speculation as far as I can tell, is this game was used as a Dummy for GTA V leaks, and yet, it was already debunked some time ago, so, I doubt it will be a Rockstar game or a GTA game, for sure!

I'm not saying it will be a R* game. Did you read the article?

The GTA V trailer looked a million times better than that video. Looked more comparable to GTA IV, than GTA V.

Maybe in the graphics department lol, but the animation and physics look waaaayyy better than IV

Can’t lie…the animation does look pretty good (even if it was in 06). Needs some development but I could see this type of action in V.

The GTA V trailer looked a million times better than that video. Looked more comparable to GTA IV, than GTA V.

everything about Eight Days looks far superior to IV. only problem i have with this Eight Days video, is how inaccurate it is. its more like 1 big cut scene, if the game wasnt cancelled, it certainly would never have lived up to these expectations.

The animation in V is awesome! Look at the guy pounding on the "for sale" sign. That looked real as hell.

Long_Haired_Boy

Well I really really reaalllllly doubt those animations will compare now to GTA V.

Look at the current RAGE engine. Max Payne 3 anyone?

Shoot a fool on his porch and make him fall in his kitchen. cool.gif

Edited by Long_Haired_Boy

Snake Without a Tongue

The interaction between the two characters in 8 Days, the way the move with each other, looks similar to the casual way the NPCs in that mountain scene from the V trailer clasp and unclasp their hands.

Sony put this and The Getaway 3 on hold for EyePet and Singstar, may I ask what kind of marketing decision that was bored.gif

Long_Haired_Boy
Sony put this and The Getaway 3 on hold for EyePet and Singstar, may I ask what kind of marketing decision that was bored.gif

Book smarts vs common sense.

Well Eight Days does look good. I am positive Jim Jagger is bringing some of that realistic flavor to GTA V. It is already noticeable through the trailer.

As much as it looks good, I'm wondering why Rockstar should use this since they have RAGE. Max Payne 3 looks far better for me than that.

Games like SingStar and just dance sells ALOT, nearly every family buy these games for thier kids/teens

Invisible Don

I don't see what's so special about the animation in eight days. It looks kind of choppy at times, and I literally loll'ed when the two characters swapped guns and switched cover spots so awkwardly.

Sony put this and The Getaway 3 on hold for EyePet and Singstar, may I ask what kind of marketing decision that was  bored.gif

Games like SingStar and just dance sells ALOT, nearly every family buy these games for thier kids/teens

Doesn't mean I'm happy about it mad.gif

Sony must cater to me and me only.

tounge2.gif

grovestreet2010

As much as it looks good, I'm wondering why Rockstar should use this since they have RAGE. Max Payne 3 looks far better for me than that.

This game wasn't as far through its development cycle as Max Payne 3 was. It might have looked better if it was closer to it's completion, but it's been put on hold. Either way, Max Payne 3 probably would look better.

This game wasn't as far through its development cycle as Max Payne 3 was. It might have looked better if it was closer to it's completion, but it's been put on hold. Either way, Max Payne 3 probably would look better.

Although I doubt GTA V will have this level of animation fluidity. That's kind of Max Payne's gimmick. GTA games are usually not the best at anything specific; they're not the best driving games, not the best shooters, etc. But they put all those elements together to make a game that is wholly better than much of the competition. I think we'll see improvement over GTA IV, though.

Invisible Don

If you're only considering the animation, Max Payne still looks better, or at the very least, equal.

And also it's hard to say just how far along the development of Eight Days really was. There is a handful of 'gameplay videos', but they seem too cinematic to be possible to implement from a gameplay standpoint. I'm calling bullsh*t and saying that the development team of Eight Days was behind, and the gameplay videos were partially cinematic, made to look like they were farther along than they really were.

Edited by Invisible Don

Buffalo Soldier

Because Sony are f*cking moronic pussies, that is why.

This game looked awesome, we need games like this again - real third person shooters that aren't about destroying robots or being in the army or killing zombies etc

This game would of been great.

If you look at the Eight Days demo, and then Max Payne 3 gamplay's, some animations are familiar. So V will probably have really good animations.

Wow. I have never seen such sh*tty animations, let alone such a sh*tty game. Glad it got cancelled.

You all are reading too much into this btw.

Hello dear comunity. I just changed my password into something I am unable to remember. It has been a lot of fun here, one of the best GTA dedicated forums I have ever visited. The mods are doing a great job and I wish you all the best. I love you, every single one of you (apart from Zee [what a fanny]).

Wow.. I cant believe this is the first time I have heard/seen eight days. Anyways, I really hope the animations are something like this, or atleast controlling the protagonist is easy and swift. I played GTA IV today after a very long time, and I cant handle Niko for some reason.. It feels so clunky, from the basic controls to sprint to cover, jumps, climbing.. GTA IV really felt old today.

I hope GTA V is much more smooth like Uncharted 3.

Wow. I have never seen such sh*tty animations, let alone such a sh*tty game. Glad it got cancelled.

Yes because we all know you're the janitor at R*.

Invisible Don

Yes because we all know you're the janitor at R*.

Rockstar never said he wasn't the janitor.

Sony put this and The Getaway 3 on hold for EyePet and Singstar, may I ask what kind of marketing decision that was  bored.gif

Because they've already got Uncharted 3 as their 'awesome shooter' game and they wanted to reach a more casual market with a different kind of game. Besides, those 2008 gameplay videos of Eight Days look awful. Bland graphics, boring map design, corny dialogue, and the shooting mechanics seem very unfun. The only thing it had going for it are those animations.

Eight Days is not Canceled, it's on-hold or something like that, hope to see it on PlayStation 3 in 2012/2013.

For the year 2006, it looks brilliant, but compared to Grand Theft Auto V, ....... V wins.