Is Niko a psychopath?

mulder84

Okay, hope this hasn't been done before, but I was checking out articles on L.A.Noire and i came across this article, and so I'm wondering, what about Niko Bellic? Is he a psychopath too, according to the storyline and gameplay?

Anyways here's a sort of a checklist that the article provided, so discuss. wink.gif

I dont think that is a acurat way to grade a grand theft auto character, as some questions can't be fully answered, but in my opinion, He IS a psychopath to most people, and basically is, but something that anyone could tell is that he has a legitimate reason to kill all of the story based characters that he kills, so he is, by default, a psychopath, but is still a interesting character for the reasons of what he does. Also he is completely sane, maybe except for pre-war trauma and slight depression and horrid anger issues. Take your pick.

Phelps is deranged, at least that's how he came across to me. He doesn't listen to reason and he doubts people on a whim.

Niko is a murderer but only in the context that he's paid to do it, He's not a nice guy by any means but he does hear people out (Ivan, Darkel etc). If their wasn't money involved he'd probably stay in and watch tv all day maybe have a few beers.

I dont think that is a acurat way to grade a grand theft auto character, as some questions can't be fully answered, but in my opinion, He IS a psychopath to most people, and basically is, but something that anyone could tell is that he has a legitimate reason to kill all of the story based characters that he kills, so he is, by default, a psychopath, but is still a interesting character for the reasons of what he does. Also he is completely sane, maybe except for pre-war trauma and slight depression and horrid anger issues. Take your pick.

I always thought that while on the outside he does seem like a psychopath, he's actually forced into what he does, much like a combat soldier (though with the wrong values). The reason he got this far was that he grew cold towards his killing trait, but not completely. In fact, even his original reason for coming into Liberty City, to find and kill the person that betrayed his unit in the past, and when he does have him, you could actually have a choice to kill him or not. There are also other times when he tells others that he's remorseful towards what he has done, but only because that was the only path available to him. He also seems to show genuine happiness for Roman's marriage, shows great concern towards his friends and family, and will do pretty much anything for them. All this seems to show that he really is rather sane, not in terms of normal people, but nonetheless neither a psychopath.

As with all GTA games, it depends on how you play. You can choose to be a rampaging, murdering psychopath, or you can choose to be a law abiding citizen.

The assessment of a psychopathic personality disorder is a difficult one at best to discuss as there is so much which can be taken into account, but it is fairly safe to say (in the crudest possible terms) to suggest that if a person feels nothing whatsoever for another person; has no thought at all for them and does not even recognize them as a person then they may well be displaying psychotic tendencies. A psychopath does not recognize other people as being anything other than things which they can manipulate to their own ends, however, there is much more to it than just this as any good psychiatrist will inform you.

This is a question which has come up before in gaming forums and it is one which greatly interests the psychiatric profession as some of them are of the opinion that perhaps rather than go out and enact their fantasies, to attack, assault and even claim the lives of real human beings they use video game violence as a substitute. There may be some truth to this, but it is hard to prove as along with psychotic tendencies most psychotics have highly developed personalities and emotional traits, not to mention high IQ's and a keen mind capable of creating mistruths which can be both dynamic and so well rehearsed than it is hard to distinguish from reality. If Niko Bellic is indeed a psychopath, there is evidence to suggest otherwise within the narrative of the game as Niko shows remorse at killing, he even says at one point that he promised himself that he would not kill again. It is more probable that Bellic is pressed to act in self-defense and lives with the consequences of his actions.

Edited by Karjerker

If their wasn't money involved he'd probably stay in and watch tv all day maybe have a few beers.

That line made me lol.

Yeah, I don't think he's sociopathic. He definitely shows remorse at many times.

Niko scores an 8/40. 28/40 is consdered psychopath.

Niko is a nice person and he'll f*ck you up if you f*ck him up. That's about it.