Disturbing trend among recent GTAs...

carcols.dat

Alright, so I've noticed that the first mission in every GTA since at least IV has been "drive for ten minutes to the other side of town".

In IV, you have to drive Roman from the docks to his taxi place, and then to his apartment, I think. Boring.

In TBOGT, you have to drive Tony to a club. Then you have to drive him to another club. And then you have to drive him home...

TLAD is the worst offender. First you have to ride with your gang from wherever the hell the first cutscene is to the some bar. And then over to the chop shop in Bohan. And then to get the damned bike over in Algonquin. And then back to gang headquarters, where you're finally cut lose. All while going at the same slow speed as your NPC comrades. WTF, Rockstar?

I get that this is a game about driving, but for pete's sake we don't need longer than 10 seconds to learn how to drive a motherf*cking car. I don't want to spent half an hour driving around just to start the game. This and for other reasons is why I didn't even bother to continue playing TLAD after the first mission.

Edited by Darlyn

I don\'t want a first mission where you have to whip out your gun and start shooting. I like to take things slowly, and I find it nice being able to take the city in during the first mission. Life isn\'t an action movie, so I think it\'s quite appropriate to have a low key first mission. I like being able to learn how to use the controls and not feel rushed into a story.

G1T

It's not a big deal. It gets you a look at the new city, and I mean come on dude there was what? 80+ missions in GTA IV, and you're pissed because you had to drive for five minutes?

I bet if they cut it down to only 10 seconds of in mission driving someone will bitch about how there isn't enough driving in the missions. I am very tired of seeing people complain about the games. If it is really that bothersome that you have to create a whole topic about it then why bother with the game in the first place?

Los Santos Pedestrian

Oh no, we have to drive five blocks. It must be torture to you.

I don\'t want a first mission where you have to whip out your gun and start shooting. I like to take things slowly, and I find it nice being able to take the city in during the first mission. Life isn\'t an action movie, so I think it\'s quite appropriate to have a low key first mission. I like being able to learn how to use the controls and not feel rushed into a story.

Basically sums up what I would have said. While it doesn't make for the most action packed start to a game, I think it's necessary to get a feel for the game and storyline. I guess it's just a matter of opinion. And also, I'd hardly call it a "disturbing trend". More like "annoying trend".

I like it when they take their time. it gives you time to admire the city and take everything in as you progress.

I think it's better than having a big gunfight at the start of the game.

Oh and the way V is shaping up with all its beautiful locales I am very sure there will be missions involving immense amount of driving.

I don't mind. After all, you've just got your hands on the game. I can't imagine when you first played GTA IV that you were thinking "OH GOD THIS IS SO BORING" when playing the first mission.

Oh no, we have to drive five blocks. It must be torture to you.

Yeah, seriously.

This kind of this is just something you just need to breeze through. I didn't have a problem with it because I don't nitpick. It's just a simple factor of the game that is used to make sense on how you arrive from one destination to the next.

I think it adds to the immersion. If we don't drive to our destinations, and just jumpcut to it, that just wouldn't feel right.

I don't mind. After all, you've just got your hands on the game. I can't imagine when you first played GTA IV that you were thinking "OH GOD THIS IS SO BORING" when playing the first mission.

I was floored by the car handling and overall excitement of actually playing a new GTA.

TheShogunOfHarlem

For some who VIOLENTLY hates ADD gaming (i.e. the COD games) I don't mind driving at all. I prefer a slower pace to all this running and gunning. It's no wonder why I rarely buy games, they all follow the same boring run 'n gun formula.

This and all the other posts are the reasons why they do this. Style is important and building to excitement. You don't want to blow your load immediately.

You have to remember that not everyone that will play GTA:V will be an expert gamer like most people here. And even those of us that are quite used to playing still have to familiarize ourselves with the control system and gameplay, because they usually make some changes or other. So early missions are kept relatively simple and tend to be instructive. Driving from A to B is rather important and so tends to come first.

The thing I find annoying is not being able to skip over some of the instruction cut scenes.

Snake Without a Tongue

I like driving. I hate those missions where you have to drive across the map for no reason and potentially have to do it again if you fail. That warehouse mission in IV is the only one I truly disliked. Drive for seven minutes then Phil crouches behind an exploding barrel and five second later it's mission failed.

The thing I find annoying is not being able to skip over some of the instruction cut scenes.

I hate those black instruction pop-up boxes. They're okay for the first play through, but you should be able to disable them. They were even more intrusive in Red Dead Redemption.

TheShogunOfHarlem
I like driving. I hate those missions where you have to drive across the map for no reason and potentially have to do it again if you fail. That warehouse mission in IV is the only one I truly disliked. Drive for seven minutes then Phil crouches behind an exploding barrel and five second later it's mission failed.

I hate those black instruction pop-up boxes. They're okay for the first play through, but you should be able to disable them. They were even more intrusive in Red Dead Redemption.

Excluding the warehouse mission you mentioned, I often would just steal a helicopter prior to the start of any of those missions and just fly over there. I just wish that GTA games as a whole give you better autonomy to use whatever vehicle you want to play missions however you choose.

GrandTheftAuto 5SA

I agree with you to a point. I believe the 1st mission should introduce you to a small part of the city and it's atmosphere. but the DLC shouldn't do that. i was like wtf when i played TLAD

I never actually noticed this 'disturbing' trend, but now that you pointed it out I really have no problem with it. It's just an introductory mission, things can't be too crazy right off the bat because not everyone playing these games will be a pro at GTA or games in general. New GTA fans are born everyday so expect a lot of first timers out there starting out their foray into the GTA world on newer titles like these.

For me, I prefer the slower start anyway. It helps me get the feel of the protagonist and the story that'll be taking place. Obviously my favorite missions are the more action oriented ones; heists and shoot outs, chasing suckers down and escaping from the cops and all that. But I also like the build up to those more action packed parts of the story, they're just as important to the game imo and it wouldn't be the same without them.

And I'll gladly drive a few measly blocks from point A to B simply because I just enjoy being in the game world. R* does a great job at creating interesting environments to be in, so I enjoy the sight seeing. GTA does go deeper than the gun slinging, car stealing, and gang banging, there is a beauty in it as well. Just enjoy the ride.

Harwood Butch3r

This has been around since GTA III where you drive to your safehouse in Portland. It's not a "recent" trend.

I agree with you to a point. I believe the 1st mission should introduce you to a small part of the city and it's atmosphere. but the DLC shouldn't do that. i was like wtf when i played TLAD

I can understand that, since by then you already know the City like the back of your hand. But for the very first mission of the Main Game, it should always be driving to your 'Safehouse'. & it's not even 10 minutes either, 2 minutes is pushing it.

jlm5lRl.png

🌴                    🌴                    🌴                     🌴                    🌴                    🌴 

Yes indeed, this is pretty much what I was going to post.

Some of you lot on here cry about so many small things. Don't take your pants off if you are going to cry so much.

These initial missions serve as an introduction to the story, location, and pivotal character(s) for the story. Besides, you drive 98% of the time anyway.

caprisig.jpg

BTW I thought the first mission in TL&D was too long and had too much action for a first mission. Like others have said I like it to take it's time build up. This would make other missions stand out like the 3 leaf clover and Storm missions stand out and feel better.

I dont mind the driving starts to GTA as it doesnt make me feel like ive jumped into the game. Its not even a recent trend either as you had to drive in III you had to drive in VC, you had to cycle in SA, you had to drive in LCS and you had to ride a motorbike in VCS. GTA V will probably have you driving from the airport or driving from the estate agents to you new home in Los Santos to get away from it all. Thats the best thing about GTA, you get eased into the game, you dont put the game in then BAM your in the firing line and have to fight off an army of people every mission, you put it in and you get a nice cutscene, a slow gentle stroll through the city, get to know some of the characters better early on, and then do some small missions, nothing much but something a bit risky, then it builds up and you finally get to the end where the army of people eventually arrive to their mission and you defeat them and just mess arround untill the DLC comes out and you do the same but in a smaller timeframe and then you mess around for the next 4-5 years untill GTA VI comes out when you do the same again..

It's not disturbing. Actually, it's a good thing. The game should start slowly.... then get more exciting. If you want a game where you instantly start shooting, play Saints Row. It's not going to happen in GTA anytime soon. BTW, the "drive to this place" thing has actually been the standard 1st mission since GTA III. It's nothing new.

ikillionaire ii

I dont mind it I enjoy listening to the conversations and usually drive slower so I hear the full convo

and as for first missions you need to rememberr theres always new people to a series and R* is catering for all.

You get the feel of the game driving from point a to b. I dont see the problem unless you want to shoot up sh*t from the beginning.

Snake Without a Tongue
A very disturbing trend!......really?

LOL It's actually quite troubling. The impact ripples throughout modern society.

THAT first mission, that "disturbing trend", was how I first got to know about GTA IV's car handling, the terrorist situation in Liberty City, the personality of Roman Bellic (titties!), and the great difference in physics used compared to GTA:San Andreas. It was great, they couldn't have done in better, imo. The only thing I didn't get was that S&M scene at the intro cinematic.

Or, according to you, would you rather have Niko get fresh off the boat and immediately get ambushed, then go "WTF?! Which ones are the f*cking controls?!"

Dude in every GTA(with the exception of SA cuz you can ride a bike, or just free roam) You have to drive somewhere, if you don't like it, deal with it, it's only gonna take you what like 2-3 minutes at the most?

user posted image