Can't Uninstall GTA SA (Error Code -6003)

CryptReaperDorian

CryptReaperDorian

Earlier I was trying o reinstall GTA SA on my PC, but my computer froze (locked up). I had to restart my PC via the button on the tower. Now, I believe some files were installed, but I'm trying to uninstall them so I can try reinstalling again. However, it won't let me uninstall as I get this error message. It's an InstallShield Wizard error.

user posted image

Any help?

Did you delete the Virtual store thing yet?-this is a known problem for Vista and 7 users, as this folder is usually hidden by default. Delete the Install directory manually. Then delete the User Files folder manually. re-boot PC after all that's done. Then re-install the game and you should have no problems.

CryptReaperDorian

I found this thread from earlier within this year.

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=467924

According to Girish, it seems like the virtual store isn't present in Windows 7. However, I did find the virtual store, but the GTA SA folder wasn't there (the GTA VC folder is there). I have deleted the GTA SA directory folder along with gta_sa.set (I restarted my PC after doing these things), but I still get the error message when I try to uninstall GTA SA.

I think I know the problem and how to fix it.

You say you were uninstalling when your PC froze.

After rebooting, the Uninstall Wizard thinks you haven't run it.

So when you run the Wizard, it will say error because it cannot find the files it needs to uninstall.

The thing you can do, is use System Restore, go back to..... say Dec 20th and uninstall GTA SA from there, since system restore should restore files that have been deleted from the hard drive.

Hope this helps. smile.gif

CryptReaperDorian
I think I know the problem and how to fix it.

You say you were uninstalling when your PC froze.

After rebooting, the Uninstall Wizard thinks you haven't run it.

So when you run the Wizard, it will say error because it cannot find the files it needs to uninstall.

The thing you can do, is use System Restore, go back to..... say Dec 20th and uninstall GTA SA from there, since system restore should restore files that have been deleted from the hard drive.

Hope this helps. smile.gif

Thanks so much! It worked, and now my game is back to normal!