LCstuntman

Merry Christmas everyone xmas.gif

Heres the deal, I have $500 to upgrade something on this rig:

Video Card: ATi Radeon HD 5770 1GB

CPU: AMD Athlon II 630 2.8Ghz Quad-Core

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3

PSU: Sigma Shark 635W

RAM: 4GB

I was thinking this CPU, this GPU, and this RAM, but I'm assuming this would be too much for my 635W PSU to handle, which would put me over-budget? Feel free to post better setups as well.

If you think I should wait for more money for a better rig lemme know also, and thanks in advance biggrin.gif

The problem I see is with the RAM. All you say to start with is that you have 4GB of RAM.

Is the RAM you picked out the exact same as the RAM you have now? If not then I wouldn't suggest getting it. If it is at least the same specs then ok but watch out. You would be better to get matched sticks.

Your PSU will be fine.

^Right, gaming and HD video editing.

The problem I see is with the RAM. All you say to start with is that you have 4GB of RAM.

Is the RAM you picked out the exact same as the RAM you have now? If not then I wouldn't suggest getting it. If it is at least the same specs then ok but watch out. You would be better to get matched sticks.

Your PSU will be fine.

Yeah, I got the PC from CyberPower so the RAM is from some random company. I found out who one time, but it only came in 6GB packs of 3x2GB. Instead, how about I take out the RAM I have and put these in? And will the PSU still hold together if I OC the processor to ~4GHz and unlock the 6950 into a 6970?

Thanks for the help cookie.gif

If you have $500, why worry about Value sticks? I started with on sale Ram deals from MC, but you can score some nice ones online as well, upgrade your RAM first perhaps, since it makes a big difference, I'd just gotten DDR3 for the first time, a coupla weeks later twice as much DDR3 comes along at a nice steal price. What I paid was under $50 USD and now you can find the same "kits" offered for all brands. DDR3 is very nicely priced

http://www.hwcompare.com/6134/radeon-hd-57...radeon-hd-6950/

Thats a quick comparison of the 6950 and the 5770 with specs side by side, decide for yourself on that.\

Or skim skim through to the benchmarks here - 6950 http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon...ayman,2818.html

and here - 5770 http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5770,2446.html

I think it worthwhile.

FOr the CPU, well i don;t have eno0ugh time now so do some research or someone else here will help you

All I see worth upgrading in that is your ram, possibility graphics depending on the games you play.

Here is a suggested $500 upgrade

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820233206

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820231314 <20% off w/ promo code EMCJHHC23, ends 1/2/12

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814161372

$463.97

Oh yeah, forgot to ask, would this be a significant upgrade to what I currently have?

Honestly I was going to mention that in my first post but decided against it because it seemed too much of a Slamman (ramble) only with knowledge, made sense and germane to the topic.

It would be a big difference compared to what you have now. However the mobo you have is at it's end of the line when you get the CPU. There are 2 CPUs that would max the mobo out for what it supports; the one you picked is 1 below that. Basically this means that when you want to upgrade again you'll either be limited to upgrading just the GPU, adding more RAM would be a waste, or building a whole new rig.

That in mind I did originally, again this was when I had originally planned to mention all of this, look into a whole new rig for you but a Sandy Bridge. I really wanted to be able to parts list for you an i5-2500 but it was a good bit over budget. I did however figure out a nice enough i3-2100 with slightly lower end GPU, mobo and RAM. With what reviews and benchmarks I could find, for gaming the i3-2100 would meet or beat that AMD 975 but for serious processing like encoding videos or compressing files then yes just the 975 would smoke the i3. Keeping in mind that most of the reviews for the i3 used games that didn't utilize quad-core CPUs that much, most in fact barely worked well with dual-cores. Some did, like Left 4 Dead where as Crysis Warhead doesn't.

If you want I can go back and try to piece together an i3-2100 system for $500: CPU (obviously), mobo, RAM and GPU. You already have a good PSU, HDD and optical drive. I could also list and price it with an i5-2500 as well just so you can see how much of a price difference that would made and how much more you would need to save up for. Keep in mind that either way you could do the RAM and GPU now and get the SandyBridge and mobo later.

@Stinky12

While I love my SSD as much as anyone that has one, the only thing a gamer will see from a SSD is load times. Depending on the game that could help slightly or not make much difference.

I was going to mention that in my first post but decided against it because it seemed too much of a Slamman (ramble) only with knowledge, made sense and germane to the topic.

Hahahahahahaha lol.gif

What I wanted to do was pretty much max out what I have right now (mobo, psu, etc.), so I could put off having to buy a whole new rig for a few years. Is this the CPU you're talking about? I missed that the first time I looked, but I might as well get it since its only $10 more.

As sad as it is, I know jack sh*t about Intel blush.gif I wanted my next from-the-ground-up rig to be Intel and Nvidia though, just to try different things. But for now I think I'll just stick to AMD (AM3 more specifically).

That and this Phenom II X6 1100T.

Part of me wants to say to spend the $10 to get the 980, but at the same time we're talking a 100MHz difference so screw that, save the $10 and you can super easily OC the 975 to the 980 speed and then some if you really wanted to.

Yeah I thought about that but youre probably right, especially since its the unlocked version.

Phenom II X6 1100T

About this, would this or the quad be better? However it is pricier and since Newegg stopped selling it, the cheapest I can find it elsewhere after a 5 second search is for $200, which does put me slightly over budget but thats not a big deal.

Thanks for your help btw happy.gifcookie.gif

Yeah I thought about that but youre probably right, especially since its the unlocked version.

Phenom II X6 1100T

About this, would this or the quad be better? However it is pricier and since Newegg stopped selling it, the cheapest I can find it elsewhere after a 5 second search is for $200, which does put me slightly over budget but thats not a big deal.

For gaming, I'd take the quad. Very little real difference in performance between the two unless in extremely heavily multi-threaded applications.

Phenom II X6 1100T

For gaming, I'd take the quad. Very little real difference in performance between the two unless in extremely heavily multi-threaded applications.

Agreed. The only reason I even mentioned it was 1. because you asked and 2. because that's what's listed at Gigabyte's website for the supported CPUs for that mobo. For the x4 chips, the 975 is the 2nd one down has I mentioned earlier.

@yojo2

Saying "some of those" sounds to me like risk. It's like the old nVidia 6800 GPUs when they first came out. Some, and I do mean some, could be unlocked to open the pixel pipeline from 12 to 16. While others wouldn't unlock, instead you would graphics tearing and other funky things. Then the same thing happen with the 6800GS APGs. It's a crap shoot.

Also note that from what I looked at it will unlock on a mob running the 890 northbridge, his is 770, but I have seen YT videos that shows someone unlocking on 880G and 785. So it needs a mobo with either a set chipset or as in the video I saw for the guy using the 785 chipset a specific mobo feature.

Plus which for gaming you don't really gain anything with 6-cores.

I totally agree that six cores are unnecessary as of now, though since 960T is not more expensive than any other Phenom II X4, it's worth giving a try.

I'd avoid Vengeance because of their high radiators. If you'd want to install a CPU cooler in the future, it might become a bit problematic.

• 3 weeks later...