I want to get a new 'gaming' laptop soon.

No. If you want to play GTA IV on a laptop you'll have to purchase something highend like a Dell XPS, Alienware or something of that type.

No. If you want to play GTA IV on a laptop you'll have to purchase something highend like a Dell XPS, Alienware or something of that type.

That statement is so far from true, as a simple cheap laptop from HP or Acer will do just fine, I know, I have an HP DV7 w/ an Intel I5 processor w/2.53GHZ base and up to 2.93GHZ with Turbo Boost(4 CPU's-a Quad core), 6GB Ram, an ATI Radeon HD 5470 w/1.2 GB Vram dedicated(thanks to the memrestrict commandline), and Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, and can run IV and EFLC games Maxed out on the settings and 25 or less on the sliders, at a steady 30+ fps...as seen here: user posted image and here: -Note, there is NO lag, it was just hard holding the camera in one hand and using the mouse and keyboard with the other hand...So, please get your facts right before posting....Just a friendly heads up. tounge2.giflol.gif

But, I would agree that with the OP's laptop he posted, the Processor speed is below minimum, as it says it is 1.4GHZ, and the minimum for intel processors is 1.8GHZ/2.4GHZ for AMD Processors(Dual Cores for Intel and AMD) and 2.4GHZ+ for Quads....Also, the Video card is a little weak for the game-it will play III, VC, and SA fine, but IV will have trouble with it...

That statement is so far from true, as a simple cheap laptop from HP or Acer will do just fine, I know

Not at 1600x900 on medium-high it won't. bored.gif

I have an HP DV7 w/ an Intel I5 processor w/2.53GHZ base and up to 2.93GHZ with Turbo Boost(4 CPU's-a Quad core), 6GB Ram, an ATI Radeon HD 5470 w/1.2 GB Vram dedicated(thanks to the memrestrict commandline)

Your 5470 does not have 1.2GB of dedicated VRAM, it is merely additional system ram reserved for the game.. which isn't really the same thing at all.

and Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, and can run IV and EFLC games Maxed out on the settings and 25 or less on the sliders, at a steady 30+ fps...as seen here:

That certainly doesn't look "maxed out" on the shadows, eh? You didn't even show the options screen so this isn't really proof.. mercie_blink.gif

So, please get your facts right before posting....Just a friendly heads up. tounge2.gif  lol.gif

You of all people do not have the right to tell anyone to do that. sarcasm.gif

OP- That laptop isn't of great spec for the money and won't run GTA4 very well at even medium settings on that res. What is your budget for a laptop in what currency & country? You should also consider getting a desktop custom-built instead of a laptop as it will be much better value for money in the sense that you will get much more games performance out of your budget.

DU8afL0.jpg

That certainly doesn't look "maxed out" on the shadows, eh? You didn't even show the options screen so this isn't really proof..

Tryed turning Shadows ON, but never actually noticed any big difference between ON and OFF, so I just left them OFF. Plus, I have read topics in here where you guys suggest that people leave that option OFF as it is a resource hog.? confused.gif

I did show the Options screen-it is the big screen shot right above the video(used Fraps by pressing Fn+F10)-you can't miss it. The main reason I took that video is to show the big difference between fraps and the in-game bench mark(the in-game benchmark shows I only get an avg. of 27.xx fps, whereas fraps rarely dips below 30 fps-as seen in the video), so that shows that Fraps is more accurate for benchmarks than the in-game one is?

Also, on the Texture and Reflection Quality, that is the Highest those will go, as when you stroll through the options, it goes: Low, Medium, High, and back to LOW. Remember, that this is Patch 4, NOT the latest Patch, so of coarse I won't have all the settings available, as the latest Patch no doubt added more options? confused.gif

That certainly doesn't look "maxed out" on the shadows, eh? You didn't even show the options screen so this isn't really proof..

Plus, I have read topics in here where you guys suggest that people leave that option OFF as it is a resource hog.? confused.gif

Night shadows i.e. shadow density on patch 4. not normal shadows.

I did show the Options screen-it is the big screen shot right above the video(used Fraps by pressing Fn+F10)-you can't miss it. The main reason I took that video is to show the big difference between fraps and the in-game bench mark(the in-game benchmark shows I only get an avg. of 27.xx fps, whereas fraps rarely dips below 30 fps-as seen in the video), so that shows that Fraps is more accurate for benchmarks than the in-game one is?

How can anyone be sure that you didn't just raise the settings up before taking the fraps screenshot? evidently not by much, but the point still stands.

Also, on the Texture and Reflection Quality, that is the Highest those will go, as when you stroll through the options, it goes: Low, Medium, High, and back to LOW. Remember, that this is Patch 4, NOT the latest Patch, so of coarse I won't have all the settings available, as the latest Patch no doubt added more options? confused.gif

I am on patch 4 and reflection quality goes up to Very High. sigh.gif

DU8afL0.jpg

I am on patch 4 and reflection quality goes up to Very High

That option is not available for me, so it must be for desktops only? confused.gif

But it is obvious I should be able to run the game well, as my specs are over the recommended, as the Recommended is: A Quad core processor @2.4 GHZ and I have an I5 Quad(thanks to Hyper Threading, which only the Intel I family has) @ up to 2.93GHZ, Ram of 2GB and I have 6GB, Video card of ATI Radeon 3870 and I have a 5470, which is higher than the recommended, as according to This site, the performance is better than the 4570, which is still a higher number than the 3870, Recommended vram is 512MB dedicated and I have 1.2GB with memrestrict command line(normal vram is 512MB dedicated and up to 3216mb)-as seen here:user posted image So, even the normal dedicated vram is at recommended, as the minimum is 256MB. So, according to this screenshot of the DXDIAG screen, I have up to 3.2GB of vram, however, IV only reconizes 1.2GB for some reason? So, as you can see I am over recommended specs according to the box the game comes in... tounge2.gif

How can anyone be sure that you didn't just raise the settings up before taking the fraps screenshot? evidently not by much, but the point still stands

Well, when I took the screenshot, it still showed the Fraps counter in the top corner, so I thought it would get copied into the screenshot, but it didn't. Also, I DO NOT edit screenshots before uploading them, so that is not possible.

Not at 1600x900 on medium-high it won't

Also, my native screen resolution is 1600X900, as seen in the DXDIAG screen, so I am using that mode-just not in game settings.? tounge2.gif

Edited by radioman

Can anyone link me to a good laptop that will run GTA IV fine? Must be below 600 dollars.

That is not possible in the under $600 price range, as pretty much all the ones in that range have either a Intel Video card OR a ATI 4200 series card(neither of which are capable of running this game-the 4200 series will run it at LOW settings and sliders all the way down, but only at like 20 fps max.)-that was confirmed on my mom's laptop which has an AMD Phenom II X4, 4GB DDR 3 ram, and an ATI Radeon HD card(the one similar to the desktop 4200), and Windows 7 Home Premium and that's all the machine gets. You will need to increase your budget to get a laptop that will run IV decently i'm afraid. confused.gif

I am on patch 4 and reflection quality goes up to Very High

That option is not available for me, so it must be for desktops only? confused.gif

My laptop has it up to 'very high' on patch 4 as well, lol. sigh.gif

But it is obvious I should be able to run the game well, as my specs are over the recommended, as the Recommended is: A Quad core processor @2.4 GHZ and I have an I5 Quad(thanks to Hyper Threading, which only the Intel I family has) @ up to 2.93GHZ, Ram of 2GB and I have 6GB, Video card of ATI Radeon 3870 and I have a 5470, which is higher than the recommended, as according to This site, the performance is better than the 4570, which is still a higher number than the 3870, Recommended vram is 512MB dedicated and I have 1.2GB with memrestrict command line(normal vram is 512MB dedicated and up to 3216mb)-as seen here:http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq19/radioman2101/HPdv7videocardinfo.jpg[/img

So, even the normal dedicated vram is at recommended, as the minimum is 256MB. So, according to this screenshot of the DXDIAG screen, I have up to 3.2GB of vram, however, IV only reconizes 1.2GB for some reason? So, as you can see I am over recommended specs according to the box the game comes in... tounge2.gif

It appears (judging by benchmarks and general assumption of GPU series classification) that the 5470 is actually quite a bit slower than the 3870:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mobility-...870.9597.0.html - 3870

http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mobility-...0.23698.0.html- 5470

Check the FEAR & supreme commander game benchmarks at the bottom. I don't know of any direct comparisons between the two, so this will have to do.

FYI, the 3870 is the top end of the now outdated 3000 series; while the 5470m is at the bottom end of the 5000 series. The second number from the left in the series name is the most important one and determines which performance group of the series the GPU is in; though it should be noted that it is not entirely consistent amongst different series.

Not at 1600x900 on medium-high it won't

Also, my native screen resolution is 1600X900, as seen in the DXDIAG screen, so I am using that mode-just not in game settings.? tounge2.gif

Set your ingame GTA4 settings to 1600x900 & medium-high and see how well it runs. wink.gif Right now you're running the game at a low resolution and essentially upscaling it to your laptop's screen, much like a console would.

DU8afL0.jpg

What an argue topic here sigh.gif

Radioman, just show a video where you START by showing the graphics.

I also have patch 4 and I can choose Very High too wink.gif

At the OP, a good laptop to run IV at medium/high can not be found for inder under $600 turn.gif

Edited by Exxon

What an argue topic here sigh.gif

Radioman, just show a video where you START by showing the graphics.

I also have patch 4 and I can choose Very High too wink.gif

At the OP, a good laptop to run IV at medium/high can not be found for inder under $600 turn.gif

Doesn't have to play GTA IV on max. Just smooth on medium settings. Doesn't matter what resolution.

As Exxon and myself has said, it is not possible to get a laptop capable of playing IV at Medium in the $600 or less price range-As seen above, mine runs at high at a decent frame rate, but it's not the best for high-end gaming(it is just OK). It was like $748 for that one. So, you would need at minimum $800 to get a laptop capable of running these games(IV/EFLC)-until then, might as well go ahead and enjoy III, VC, and SA while you are saving up...GTA III is a good comparison to IV, as it also takes place in Liberty City....

What do you mean by "Night Shadows"-there are only 2 Shadow settings-one is Shadow density and the other is shadow quality, as seen in the screenshot above.? confused.gif

Also, @OTB, I am not trying to argue with you about this, I know my PC is not "the best" for high-end gaming-it is just OK. I also know you know what you are talking about when it comes to computers and these games. Since Exxon posted that he has a "Very High" in his settings, than I come to take it that is cause my card is an entry-level one as you guys have better video cards(as seen in your and Exxon's sigs.), and as such would have more settings? I am just trying to get a little more in-depth about PC specs and gaming specs, etc.....Just a heads up. smile.gif

Edited by radioman

As Exxon and myself has said, it is not possible to get a laptop capable of playing IV at Medium in the $600 or less price range-As seen above, mine runs at high at a decent frame rate, but it's not the best for high-end gaming(it is just OK). It was like $748 for that one. So, you would need at minimum $800 to get a laptop capable of running these games(IV/EFLC)-until then, might as well go ahead and enjoy III, VC, and SA while you are saving up...GTA III is a good comparison to IV, as it also takes place in Liberty City....

What do you mean by "Night Shadows"-there are only 2 Shadow settings-one is Shadow density and the other is shadow quality, as seen in the screenshot above.? confused.gif

Also, @OTB, I am not trying to argue with you about this, I know my PC is not "the best" for high-end gaming-it is just OK. I also know you know what you are talking about when it comes to computers and these games. Since Exxon posted that he has a "Very High" in his settings, than I come to take it that is cause my card is an entry-level one as you guys have better video cards(as seen in your and Exxon's sigs.), and as such would have more settings? I am just trying to get a little more in-depth about PC specs and gaming specs, etc.....Just a heads up. smile.gif

I play GTA San Andreas.

My PC can barely run it on high.

Pentium Dual Core E6600 @ 3.06GHz

3GB of DDR2

ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO 256mb <--The real sh*t sucker.

I can play GTA IV on low settings with no lag.

I play GTA San Andreas.

3GB of DDR2

If you can't play SA on High on that set-up, there's something wrong, as I have an XP Pro laptop with an Intel Centrino(Core2Duo) @2.0GHZ, 2GB DDR2 ram, and an Intel GMA 965 video card with 128MB of vram and can run SA on High at around 40+ fps with the frame limiter OFF... tounge2.giflol.gif

I play GTA San Andreas.

3GB of DDR2

If you can't play SA on High on that set-up, there's something wrong, as I have an XP Pro laptop with an Intel Centrino(Core2Duo) @2.0GHZ, 2GB DDR2 ram, and an Intel GMA 965 video card with 128MB of vram and can run SA on High at around 40+ fps with the frame limiter OFF... tounge2.giflol.gif

My frame limiter is off.

I have no idea. sad.gif

Radioman, before I had this top-of-the-line videocard, I had a GeForce GT 220 which sucks ass at HD gaming.

Nonetheless, I could also choose Very High on that one.

Maybe a re-install would help? turn.gif

By the way, an HD 5470 is pretty bad for gaming.

You may call it 'Ok', but I wouldn't wink.gif