Webpage Colour Rendering

Kaj.

First off, sorry about the large images.

So I've got an odd situation. And I'm not sure if I can even get the point across because I'm not sure if it's actually a rendering issue, or if it's just my display.

ANYWAYS...

To start off, I've gotta know if anyone can actually see any differences in colours between the two following photos. I took it(the photo), and in Aperture and Preview (on my Macbook) the original image looks perfectly fine.

user posted image

user posted image

Now, the second image is from Imgur and on my display is the correct colour profile. The first image is from Photobucket, and the colours are dull with an almost golden hue.

There's a definite possibility that the differences aren't visible, and my display is funky. So here's another to illustrate the issue.

This image is a screenshot from my Macbook. The photo on the right is the original, and the photo on the left is how it's rendered on www.MyBestShot.com (a photo rating site, how I first discovered the discrepancy. The site banners are actually supposed to be a vibrant green, but on my Macbook display as a dull green)

user posted image

I checked the site itself on my friend's Macbook, and the it displays with the correct colours. I also checked that last screenshot on his Macbook, and the colours are indeed different between the two on his display. That means there's some kind of rendering issue with the pages/images/my computer.

I'm just wondering what could be doing this, and if I can find a way to fix it.

Edited by Kajun
user posted image

On my end, the flower in the first image looks slightly more golden than the second one. Aside from that, I don't see much difference with the exception of the image size. I'd say it's on your end. Something I also noticed is the difference between my Chrome icon and yours. Mine is more of a dull green, whereas yours is like a lime green.

That's why I think it's so weird. I thought it was all on my end, but when I looked at my screenshot (last image) on my roommate's Macbook, the colour difference (mainly the green of the leaf in the background) was definitely noticeable.

Obviously different displays are going to have slightly different colour profiles, but I find that on my display it's very noticeable.

But it still doesn't explain to me why the exact same file/image differs so much between sites. And why the original image displays identical between my Macbook and my roommate's, but www.MyBestShot.com has different coloured greens.

It's not even a huge problem or inconvenience, it's just really really annoying.

user posted image

I ran your images in this color test and there are some difference between the two.

Here are the results

note: values on left = 1st image, value on right = 2nd image , 3rd from mybestshot.com

1. #438B00 / #448A00 / #0F1800

2. #154200 / #154300 / #6A7D00

3. #42B600 / #42B600 / #62690B

4. #FFD500 / #FFD500 / #FF9D00

5. #AE7300 / #AF7300 / #BD7200

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

From my screen, I too can't tell any difference between your two images, but the 3rd has a huge difference that

can be spotted from a mile away.

nightwalker83

Yeah, I too have noticed differences in colour rendering when viewing a picturew on a mac then viewing the same picture on a non-apple machine. Maybe their interprets the colours differently to other hardware?

Yeah, I too have noticed differences in colour rendering when viewing a picturew on a mac then viewing the same picture on a non-apple machine. Maybe their interprets the colours differently to other hardware?

I did view the first two images on my roommate's Macbook* and they were both near identical, but on my Macbook they're drastically different (like in the 3rd image).

I'm gonna recalibrate my display, and see if that's got anything to do with it. Nope.

* Though his is LED backlit, and mine is CFL backlit.

Edited by Kajun
user posted image

Did you reupload the image to mybestshot.com since this stop started?

Here is why: http://i40.tinypic.com/2qnnt7b.png I didn't want post it in the topic because it's so big

The reason I ask is this:

In your starting post I can see the mybestshot.com image and it is dull compared to the other in your screen shot. But when I actually go to mybestshot and look at it there, it's not as bad as it is in your screen shot. That confuses me.

However the mybestshot compare to the other 2 isn't all that bad yet is still flawed. The flower is ok for the most part but the grass or whatever that green thing is in the background is duller than the other 2.

Side note: if anyone is curious how I did that with the images: Firefox and Split Browser plug-in.

I have reuploaded to MyBestShot since this all started, and the same issue presents itself. Even the green banner at the top of MyBestShot shows up as a dull algae green rather than a bright green that I see on my phone or other computers.

Again, not sure if you'll be able to see any difference, but here's a screenshot from MBS of the homepage.

user posted image

The main thing I don't understand about the whole situation is the variance between sites on my end. Imgur photos are true to the originals, but photobucket seems dull. And it's not the images obviously, since everyone else is fine. But then the third image of my OP (the screenshot) shows that on my end there's an obvious difference that other people can see.

user posted image

Just for grins try Safari at the site and see if that makes a difference.

Already tried that before I posted the topic, it shows the same colours as Chrome. I also installed Firefox to check it, and there's no difference.

It's obvious that it's only on my end that the discrepancies show, but it's really difficult not knowing if I'm actually looking at the image the same way everyone else sees it.

user posted image

No idea what to tell you. It's more confusing since it looks like, at least from what you're showing us, that it's only with mybestshot.com and no other website.

For me the green banner is green but in your screen shot it's more yellow/gold type of color. Also that thumbnail that's mostly blue, on your end it's dull but on my view it's fine.

That's why it's so weird. And I've also check some of my images that I uploaded on DeviantArt (like the one posted in this topic) and it's got the same problem.

So far, the only website that I've uploaded the image to which keeps the colours true to the original is Imgur. MBS, DA, and Photobucket seems to mess the colours up. But only on my screen.

It's f*cking confusing to say the least.

user posted image

Well it also looks like Photobucket resized the image, so whatever they did could be part of what affected the color difference there; however like we all said the differences between imgur and photobucket are minimal.

@Stinky

What color tester did you use to produce that nice looking result?

Off topic and I do apologies.

Well it also looks like Photobucket resized the image, so whatever they did could be part of what affected the color difference there; however like we all said the differences between imgur and photobucket are minimal.

@Stinky

What color tester did you use to produce that nice looking result?

Off topic and I do apologies.

It's a handy website for detecting colors

with off topic...

TN panels don't produce true 24bit color. It tries to mimic it.

Only IPS and other fancier panels can.

Now back with OP's topic.

I've remember reading certain image hosting site, will reduce the quailty of

a image to save bandwidth. It's like resaving a image over multiple times.

Edited by Stinky12