How do you blind fire without cover?

Omnouis2012

Hello,

I've been reading this forum for years but this is the first time I registered because I've got a question I hope one of you can answer.

I bought GTA 4 for the xbox360 at the launch. I was dissapointed with the gameplay when it came to the shooting mechanics. In GTA 4 when you pull the fire trigger, the cam view zooms in to over the shoulder. And I could not find a setting where you could shoot from the hip, this only occured when I shoot from cover. I love shooting from the hip especially when the target is near range and I prefer to zoom in when a target is far away. Anyway I never got in to finishing GTA 4 because the shooting over the shoulder annoyed me.

But then the trailer for GTA 5 came and I started to get interested in GTa again. So I took look at some vids on youtube from GTA 4 and the stranhe thing was that I saw some gameplay vids of GTA 4 where players were shooting from the hip even without cover.

So my question which setting is that in GTA 4 to be able to shoot from the hip?

I hope someone can help me with answering my question. I gave my old copy of GTA 4 to a friend ( end 2008) but I'm willing to bu a new copy if I can shoot from the hip and that will satisfy me untill GTA 5 comes out wink.gif

I have some links with GTA 4 vids where the player is shooting from the hip. Youtube's got a lot GTA 4 vids like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsADKQwW2-k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LuqSvGPg2o&feature=related

These one are from the xbox360 version

Is it a mod or did rockstar add this by a patch after launch? I hope someone can answer. Thank you.

Omnouis

I don't think you can hip fire. Maybe modding? All I know is that I can't hip fire. I have to aim.

Thank you for replying. So should I ask this question in the mod section? Clearly it is possible to hip fire like you can see in the you tube vids. but probably only with modding ;((

I hope someone can reply with a definite answer.

Omnouis

Concerning the operation and positioning of the camera when engaged in combat is seems to be influenced by many of the third-person shooters commonplace to the history of computer gaming, however, that said, there is (at least on my PC version) an option for changing the camera position. This seems, at least when using vehicles to be on a cycle in which one press of a specific key (it may be necessary to look this up) change the current view - in driving mode, default from immediately behind to the same position, but with greater distance behind you now, giving a much greater view of vision (except in large vehicles like trucks etc). Another press of the same key pushes the camera into 1st person mode, putting the view inside the vehicle, but only in as far as you can see out of the windshield, or immediately behind when the appropriate key is pressed. Pressing it once more seems to place the camera close by the vehicle, but off to one side of it, almost like it is bolted to the side of the vehicle providing an outriders view. The final option seems to place the camera is a variable position, either orbiting your position at considerable distance, sometimes it shows the immediate area from around six hundred feet up, or in other instances objects nearby - the way this specific mode operates seems to be dependant on whether or not you are in the immediate vicinity of anything which may get in the way, or possibly block the view.

In non-vehicle modes the same camera can provide at least a close-up on the character you are using; the same perspective, but from a slightly different distance and possibly a third mode, but to be honest I seldom use the camera in character mode, so should have to research this further. Sadly, as you have evidence above, the camera and the pose when shooting is determined by the game code, and yes, certain aspects of it do not make for very realistic firearms use. For example, even in kneeling positions, the gun is not held correctly and minimum recoil if any is observed, although brass is ejected fairly realistically. This, and the lack of ability to "sit" down (other than in cars) on items in GTA-IV are among the issues which I feel need to be taken care of in any future games.

Sorry if I've misunderstood (I know nothing about firearm terminology) but I'm guessing it's the auto-aim.

When auto-aim is turned on and you press the target button the camera 'snaps' on a target and the camera zooms in. It is very erratic, often targeting a guy 50 metres away when the guy you want to shoot is standing right front of you.

By default it's turned on but most players turn-it off. Once it's turned off you can free aim and zoom-in/out manually by tapping the right control stick button. This is certainly what's happening in the 360 video's you linked, no mods as far as I can tell.

Sorry if I've misunderstood (I know nothing about firearm terminology) but I'm guessing it's the auto-aim.

When auto-aim is turned on and you press the target button the camera 'snaps' on a target and the camera zooms in. It is very erratic, often targeting a guy 50 metres away when the guy you want to shoot is standing right front of you.

By default it's turned on but most players turn-it off. Once it's turned off you can free aim and zoom-in/out manually by tapping the right control stick button. This is certainly what's happening in the 360 video's you linked, no mods as far as I can tell.

Hello Karjerker and Uramet for reacting, I really appreciate it smile.gif

I will buy GTA 4 again (gave my old one to a friend) and I will try what you suggested, turn off the free aim and tap the richt control stick. But what I can remember from the past is that if I tap the right control stick it would even zoom more in to over the shoulder view.

So I hope when I'll do like you suggested, I will be able to fire from the hip without the camera zooming in in over the shoulder view. I will let you know if I figured it out. Thank you!

Omnouis

Just remember to purchase Grand Theft Auto IV: The Complete Edition, as this contains the original game and its two Liberty City Stories packs (The Lost and Damned and The Ballard of Gay Tony) - sorry for the PBS, but there are newbies out there who do not realize all three, the trilogy is available as a single package deal.

Jasper Petrol
Just remember to purchase Grand Theft Auto IV: The Complete Edition, as this contains the original game and its two Liberty City Stories packs (The Lost and Damned and The Ballard of Gay Tony) - sorry for the PBS, but there are newbies out there who do not realize all three, the trilogy is available as a single package deal.

Are there really people out there who can not figure out which edition of the game to buy?

No wonder they can't fly the f****** helicopters!

I dont know the xbox controls but I do the PS3, I can tell ya, that if you press the Select button while aiming you can change 3 within 3 modes:Shoulder, Hip, Legs... Problem solved! sly.gif

EDIT: Oh, and you don't have to turn off the AA (AutoAiming)

Edited by DaKrulzz

I have to ask, Jasper Petrol - are you leaving comments about my narratives which are borderline 'clever' abuse because I've done something to offend you, or are you simply trying to be clever again and failing miserably? I'm not one to hold a grudge, but you seem too, so for your sake, I'm politely asking you to quit with the negative commentaries before I get around to repopulating the moderators in-box with a complaint. Consider this a polite request. "Respect is Everything" - that is a joke, as you seem to be showing me CONSIDERABLE public disrespect.

Jasper Petrol

I have to ask, Jasper Petrol - are you leaving comments about my narratives which are borderline 'clever' abuse because I've done something to offend you, or are you simply trying to be clever again and failing miserably? I'm not one to hold a grudge, but you seem too, so for your sake, I'm politely asking you to quit with the negative commentaries before I get around to repopulating the moderators in-box with a complaint. Consider this a polite request. "Respect is Everything" - that is a joke, as you seem to be showing me CONSIDERABLE public disrespect.

Karjerker, I really don't have time for all this nonsense, but I will offer you some advice.

Firstly, I've not posted anything offensive about you on the forums - so stop saying that I have. When you read name calling on a forum who looks worse, the name caller or the unlucky recipient?

I have not posted anything abusive on the forums about you - but you have posted several abusive posts about me (some have been edited since) in one thread calling me a creep and an idiot and probably several others that I have not seen.

I tend to agree with the creep above

The original poster who decided to be funny has confirmed that he is indeed an idiot by doing it again in another thread

It is not clever to go back to threads and edit your posts in an attempt to take away the value of other contributions posted later in the thread. Do you think this goes unnoticed? This is disrespectful to the member who started the thread and everyone who subsequently contributes to the thread.

I don't claim to be perfect, if something offends I'm prepared to edit it (same as before) I don't hold a grudge (although I have every reason to do so). The way you've treated other forum members is not respectful. Making rude comments about forum members signatures is an example of your childish behaviour. Derailing threads by posting lengthy dross and off-topic nonsense which is usually about yourself. Please keep it Grand Theft Auto. Posting in threads that you don't understand (for example Cops and Crooks). Look in the Survival Guide Page 8.

I've seen plenty of members join these forums start a flame war and get banned. I think you should examine your own behaviour on the forums before accusing others. If you continue and other forum members get involved it could get out of hand. Quit the nitpicking and the snide remarks.

You are correct that I do not have respect for you after seeing your true colours. This does not mean that I will post derogatory remarks. I'm not going to change the way I use the forum.

@Waffleperson337 - I don't change my comments, I edited the part that caused offense as a gesture of goodwill but have since discovered that the member in question is an internet troll who posts objectionable content to get a reaction from other members. Want to know what I said originally? I said this person was crazy, shocking I know! me and my big mouth - also it was intended as a joke) and for your information I have no aspiration to be an admin on these boards.

Rude eh!

Edited by Jasper Petrol

I dont know the xbox controls but I do the PS3, I can tell ya, that if you press the Select button while aiming you can change 3 within 3 modes:Shoulder, Hip, Legs... Problem solved! sly.gif

EDIT: Oh, and you don't have to turn off the AA (AutoAiming)

This. It's best to try every button, you might learn something you never knew before tounge.gif

Dang Respect is everything guy and karjerker Have some bad blood here! I tend to side with Karjerker here, but Kar does tend to get off topic a bit and can be rude and nit picky of some, but Jasper does have a non-specific rudeness toward people, and changes his comments either to keep his rep up or being moral. But really, though I'm trying sculpt a freaking admin here, I would say, though witty at times, saying stuff like

Are there really people out there who can not figure out which edition of the game to buy?

No wonder they can't fly the f****** helicopters!

Is kind of mean, though I can agree with the second sentence, as lots of people do not drive helicopters well (Karjerker, You have not even begun to believe the skills of the kids who play GTA4 on the xbox, not saying all are bad though). But most people who go to Gamestop Will not see the complete edition or the EFLC or even know what it is if they are set on just getting GTA4. I had to ask the guy behind the cash register if he had the triple pack in the magical drawers of fate, and 5 of my friends in the past year all said they never saw or heard of EFLC or the triple pack when they went to get GTA4, so be nice to the public a little, even if we ain't all perfect, the golden rule is a powerful tool.