The Golden Rule

Ronnyboy

I bring into question the Catholic School term I learned as the "Golden Rule" which is to "Treat others as you wish to be treated". I've always fancied, and fully believed in the term. If wish someone would buy me nice gifts, treat me for lunch, drive me home, and care about me to help me no matter what. So I do the same to anyone I know, no matter how close they are in terms of friendship.

But I feel as if, the "Golden Rule" can't be applied to society anymore. It used to be that if you were nice, a small sliver would come back. I've usually seen it come back in people forgetting, or not even caring (not that I care, just my observations). People even question my ethics, and ask why I believe in it, and even ask what it means! Maybe I'm just old fashioned religious, but do people even care about treating others like THEY want to be treated anymore?

I agree. Its called Karma and it is pretty much absent in U.S. culture and others who have taken the format. I would only suggest that you keep at it and you will live happier. The alternative, it seems, is to treat others poorly. That can't produce happiness.

I agree, but the idea of happiness through others escapes people greatly. People believe I am setting them up, when I never ask for anything in return. Even kids who learned the "Golden Rule" right along with me, question me doing it. It just seems so surreal to not follow this basic ideal.

I agree, but the idea of happiness through others escapes people greatly. People believe I am setting them up, when I never ask for anything in return. Even kids who learned the "Golden Rule" right along with me, question me doing it. It just seems so surreal to not follow this basic ideal.

People, for the most part are not all that bright, believe it or not. YOU have to find the will in yourself to be better and it is not easy. But at the same time LOVE unconditionally. This is the test.

Society has become impersonal, plain and simple. There's no drive or encouragement to form close-knit social groups, therefore feelings of compassion barely ever come into people's heads. I know the government are trying to legislate for localism and encourage societal compassion, but I think it's impossible to do so without the citizens being 100% behind you.

Untitled-1.jpg
AMD Ryzen 5900X (4.7GHz All-Core PBO2) | Gigabye X570S Pro | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

EK-Quantum Reflection D5 | XSPC D5 PWM | TechN CPU Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | ASUS RTX 4080 TUF @2970MHz | Sabrant Rocket Plus 1TB
Sabrant Rocket 2TB | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | 2x ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

Society has become impersonal, plain and simple. There's no drive or encouragement to form close-knit social groups, therefore feelings of compassion barely ever come into people's heads. I know the government are trying to legislate for localism and encourage societal compassion, but I think it's impossible to do so without the citizens being 100% behind you.

That's because our value system is f*cked up. Educations is in a sh*thole and all everyone cares about is accumulating wealth for the sole purpose of accumulating wealth. People need to stop being so obsessed with money. Maybe then we could focus on other more important things.

A lot of people interpret that mantra wrongly I think. Being a nice, decent human being shouldn't be done for reward. Niceness isn't a transaction where you do something nice for me and I'm then obliged to do something nice back. You should be doing good things because they are good things, not because of some kickback from karma, your sky-man or the society hivemind.

You see that sort of attitude in a lot guys who think that because they are a "nice guy" and act like a decent person, they are owed sex/romantic involvement from girls.

Edited by Robinski
user posted image

A lot of people interpret that mantra wrongly I think. Being a nice, decent human being shouldn't be done for reward. Niceness isn't a transaction where you do something nice for me and I'm then obliged to do something nice back. You should be doing good things because they are good things, not because of some kickback from karma, your sky-man or the society hivemind.

You see that sort of attitude in a lot guys who think that because they are a "nice guy" and act like a decent person, they are owed sex/romantic involvement from girls.

Goodness for goodness sake? That is right. If you are performing an act of kindness in order to recieve a reward then you are missing the point. This isn't about you feeling good in order to appease your ego, but to liberate "something" within yourself that is not yet there. It takes patience, which does not come naturally. To combat this takes will.

I like to think that I treat others how I would like to be treated. Not on a level where physically doing something, more in a moral, face value, general politeness type. I also believe that most folk out there are the same willed. But its all very local networks.

Edited by Viperman

- [- No Fear. No Limits. No Equal. -] -

- [- Ride For Life -] -

Digging deep. It's not just an expression that's thrown around the locker room at halftime. It's a way of life. A daily code that drives a champions existence. It's not always glamorous. It's not always blue skies and sunny days, and its certainly not always welcome. But love it or hate it, to become a true champion take pure, unrestricted commitment.

Well...

Pragmatically, I see no point in being a dick. If I can be nice to someone then I most certainly will be nice. Thats not to say that I dont have a competitive spirit... I just dont think it needs to be vulgar.