Blood Brothers

blitz

Various spoilers ahead.

So, I've been called by Francis to go and kill Derrick, but Derrick has also called me to kill Francis. I'm not particularly fond of any of them, and this is my second time around this game (I cannot remember who I killed last time.) so I'm asking for advice here. Who should I kill? I was going to go with Francis, never liked that crook but Derrick seems to be lost anyways. He's better off dead, I mean, he's a raging alcoholic and drug addict that's most likely going to end up in the pen.

So, which one should I choose and why?

tumblr_mk683ddOTs1rkv9cvo1_250.gif

Jasper Petrol

Spoiler Alert!

You have to make the decision yourself which brother gets it!

There is more benefit for shooting Derrick but this makes the funeral mission called Undertaker harder because the graveyard is further away and some angry Albanians give chase.

After the mission Blood Brothers, you can call Francis to lose your wanted level.

I shot Derrick because of his odd behavior during the mission, Smackdown where you have to kill Bucky Sligo!

I hope this helps. I've just replayed those missions.

Edited by Jasper Petrol

I agree with pretty much what the last poster said, but might remind you that a bent cop intent on threatening you every chance he gets is the last thing you want riding you. So given the options, who would you rather erase: a bent cop or a wreck of a man whose best years are behind him for the chop? One word of advice, when you do make the decision, quickly and quietly leave the area, as gunshots that close to a Federal building tend to get you noticed.

Albanians by the way are easy to lose, just drive in completely the wrong direction to lose them - creeps don't know what to do and are easily outdistanced and having a cop in your pocket is fine, but remember if you need a cop to get you out of squeeky bum situations then you aren't half as good as you ought to be. I've never once felt the need (even when cornered) to call on the services of anyone to assist me - there is always a way to escape, but it often calls for considerable bloodshed and extremely low cunning to use whatever cover is available and to find a means to get out of the area as quickly as possible immediately afterwards.

Edited by Karjerker

Jasper Petrol

I agree with pretty much what the last poster said, but might remind you that a bent cop intent on threatening you every chance he gets is the last thing you want riding you. So given the options, who would you rather erase: a bent cop or a wreck of a man whose best years are behind him for the chop? One word of advice, when you do make the decision, quickly and quietly leave the area, as gunshots that close to a Federal building tend to get you noticed.

Albanians by the way are easy to lose, just drive in completely the wrong direction to lose them - creeps don't know what to do and are easily outdistanced and having a cop in your pocket is fine, but remember if you need a cop to get you out of squeeky bum situations then you aren't half as good as you ought to be. I've never once felt the need (even when cornered) to call on the services of anyone to assist me - there is always a way to escape, but it often calls for considerable bloodshed and extremely low cunning to use whatever cover is available and to find a means to get out of the area as quickly as possible immediately afterwards.

Neither character plays any further part in the storyline so from a gameplay point of view there is no genuine reason to base your choice of which brother to kill You have to select one of them to progress to the next mission.

Karjerker, I agree that the feature that is unlocked here is as much use as a pair of chocolate underpants. I have also never been in a situation where I have needed to make a call to lose the wanted level. This is because your game status is more dependent on your health level, so I would be more likely to seek a health boost or armour vest before resuming some type of firefight.

From a philosophical point of view (and this is not intended to be argumentative) a bent cop could also be a useful asset to the main protagonist in this game. In addition, as with Darko Brevic, perhaps the brother killed is the lucky one, not having to live with the guilt for their crimes and victims. Cruel to be kind?

Derrick is a smackhead, and Francis tells Niko that he has a big mouth. This must be a bit of concern considering his role in The Three Leaf Clover mission. A loose cannon in the ranks is a dangerous element.

With regard to the Albanian assault, if you kill Derrick his funeral is further away which makes the undertaker mission harder because you have to drive further without the casket falling out of the hearse. This involves driving over a bridge where changing direction would obviously send you in the opposite direction to your destination. Your only option would be to shoot the Albanian's driver right at the start to end the pursuit early.

When all is considered it really is a fifty fifty situation. If you still can not decide, flip a coin!

Edited by Jasper Petrol

Let's just say that I have a RL personal dislike of bent cops, whether they be characters in a video game or not, so (without feeling the need to blank this - afterall, just putting a mouse on the box so easily negates that rather annoying 'spoilter' feature of the forums - besides people read said posts to get insights into finishing the game or improving their gameplay) would happily waste the cop over the criminal, who although flawed, is already paying a heavy price for his past misdeeds.

Killing Derrick:

You can call Francis while both brothers still sit in the park and raise the money you get from him, making it 20,000 (!) dollars for one kill.

Afterwards you can also use his ability to decrease your wanted level.

Be aware: my experience is, that he will only wipe out THREE stars and only OUTSIDE OF MISSIONS.

After finishing the story, this ability will disappear.

The drive to the cemetery will be longer, since it's located in Dukes/Steinway.

The Mc Reary family seems to feel a bit more sad.

Killing Francis:

You will get NO MONEY and NO OTHER REWARD.

The McReary family feels slightly better, not Mrs/Ma McReary, she will tell the priest "Francis was a good boy..."

the others, Packie, Kate, Gerry will not be too sad, but still somewhat touched.

The drive to the cemetery will be shorter, you will take Francis to the cemetery on Colony Island (Snow Storm mission).

About the moral choice:

Francis is completely selfish, but so is Derrick. Packie and the LCPD both state that Derrick was a snitch, a grass, and he put people into prison to avoid doing time.

Derrick wants to get rid of the people badmouthing him, but sends Niko to do this dirty work, very similar to Francis, who sends Niko out to take out gangsters he participated with. Many people tend to kill Francis, because he's a cop and cops are usually enemies in GTA games, also, Derrick was there in Three Leaf Clover. Still, Derrick isn't a saint. He ratted out his closest friends only to avoid jail.

Edited by junkpile

Hmm, get there first, plant an explosive charge under the bench ... they sit down, you press a button and its goodnight vienna for both. Yes, very satisfying, and you can walk away whistling the theme from The Third Man.

There should have been a third option to shoot them both!

Hmm, get there first, plant an explosive charge under the bench ... they sit down, you press a button and its goodnight vienna for both. Yes, very satisfying, and you can walk away whistling the theme from The Third Man.

Easy: take an RPG and blow them both up. Ooops, mission failed. You have to make a decision and kill only one of them, if not, the game simply ends here for you but hey, no Roman dead, no Kate dead, everything is still cool.