Attach Particle to Map Object

nWo51289

Is there a way of attaching a particle to a map object defined in a ide file? I can't seem to find a opcode that would allow this to be possible. I presume that I can only use opcodes like 016f, 064B, 064C & 0650 to create a particle at a defined location instead of attaching the particle to a map object? What I want to achieve is attach a particle (Function-X-'s BUTTERFLYS from effects.fxp) to a plant object like for example sm_des_bush1. I've tried a few things but it either crashes or doesn't work as I'm new to CLEO. Thanks.

spaceeinstein

Why not edit the model to attach the particle?

aStiffSausage
Why not edit the model to attach the particle?

And how's that possible? I know there are some effects attached to a model, like in that bar in LS (Can't remember name), which has torches at the entrance with flames in it, or "Pirates in Mans Pants" in LV has the same done.

But, how would it be accomplished, as the effect would need to be attached to nearly every single tree in SA?

@spaceeinstein - The models are not mine to edit. Just wanted to know if it was possible using CLEO so I could use it on any type of vegetation mod.

@oksa8 - Would be accomplished using this max script: link. Seems to be the only way.

spaceeinstein

This may be possible using 0929, with an external script containing the particle (like the red marker seen in front of food vendors, using particles instead). I don't know if this would work with CLEO.

Edited by spaceeinstein

You might be able to learn something from the HOME_BRAINS script. This disabled feature added peeing bums to the map. However, the pee streams tend to get stuck on the wrong objects, such as cops walking around, and on one occasion, the side of the fuel tank on the motorcycle CJ was driving.

Note that HOME_BRAINS appeared to make my PC saves very unstable, but I'm not sure if this is related to the particle streams.

aStiffSausage

OrionSR

My guess is that HOME_BRAINS uses system to first check player's position, then take offset for the place for pee, and then show particle. Problem is, that there's no way to get coordinates of a stationary map object.

I'm not sure, but I recall CLEO 4's find objects opcode could find some map objects:

0AE3: $object = random_object_near_point 0@ 1@ 2@ in_radius 10.0 find_next 0 //IF and SET

Otherwise, it's just a case of looping through the building and object pools and calling the particle functions manually.

@spaceeinstein - Thanks, will give that a try.

@OrionSR - As oksa8 said, I don't think it can retrieve coordinates from a map object unless I'm mistaken. Also if it is that unstable then I'll stay far away from it, but will take a look at HOME_BRAINS anyway to try and learn something. Thanks.

@Deji - Thanks, will try out using 0AE3. I still need to do a lot more research in using CLEO!

Otherwise, it's just a case of looping through the building and object pools and calling the particle functions manually.

Sorry for the noob question but how will I go about doing something like this? Thanks for helping out a noob with the suggestions!

Yep. Searching in Building pool must give results.