The future of GTA (GTA 5 and beyond)

nnab1

As we all know, GTA5 is basically an absolute fact.

So I ask, what is next for the series?

I am WELL aware that this topic has been posted, BUT what I want you to make your opinions on, is the fact that Dan Houser is 37, and his brother, Sam, is now 40. At a certian point, they are going to want to retire, lets say at 50- ish. Consitering we get a new GTA about every 4 years, can we count on GTA 6, 7, or maybe even 8?

Thoughts smile.gif

Vegetarian Piranha

can i punch you in the head?

who says they will retire, i have a feeling they wont play such a big role in say 8-10 years but they will still have their input, trust me they know how to play their cards.

can i punch you in the head?

who says they will retire, i have a feeling they wont play such a big role in say 8-10 years but they will still have their input, trust me they know how to play their cards.

Whoa whoa whoa there! Please no hostility, I was simply stating an idea smile.gif

I actually wouldn't mind V to be the last GTA.

Let Rockstar Games push other titles and give Rockstar North something else to do.

The formula of GTA is getting old, admit it. Would love to see another Red Dead than another GTA actually.

I shall now duck for cover.

Let Rockstar Games push other titles and give Rockstar North something else to do.

The formula of GTA is getting old, admit it. Would love to see another Red Dead than another GTA actually.

Hahaha theres no need for cover here, I agree with you on the fact that I would LOVE to see another RDR, as it is my second favorite Rockstar Title. HOWEVER, I would not like if gta stopped here, i REALLY want to see one on the next consoles, just to see the type of power we would be dealing with smile.gif

i hope GTA never dies, but as we all know, good things will eventually come to an end. i guarantee V won't be the last GTA, once the PS4/720 come out GTA will be even more amazing.

i hope GTA never dies, but as we all know, good things will eventually come to an end. i guarantee V won't be the last GTA, once the PS4/720 come out GTA will be even more amazing.

If i was a game developer, it would be very dificult for me to decide where to end GTA, I mean, i think we will get another 1-2 games out of this at LEAST consitering we are getting more into multiplayer and such, but if i was a developer i would keep wanting to go bigger, do better, and i would keep going. GTA would die, when I die biggrin.gif

Harwood Butch3r

Not sure I agree with you here mate. I don't feel R* will never make another franchise as open ended and as free as what GTA has been (I'm talking about themes). I know it's likely GTA will stay in the same 3 basic locations, but the potential of visiting other locations/time periods is far greater in the GTA franchise.

I'd love to see another Red Dead, but there's only so much you can do with a Western game. One of GTA's greatest assets I feel is there isn't just one particular theme. In the 14 years since GTA 1 we've only seen a relatively small part of the criminal world from GTA 's perspective. R* could push the series out easily with another 10+ games and it would still feel fresh IMO and not feel like it's a cash cow.

Edited by Miamivicecity

Retire at 50?!?

Sounds nice, in the states you can't freaking retire now until you're 75.

fV9tG4b.gif

Not sure I agree with you here mate. I don't feel R* will never make another franchise as open ended and as free as what GTA has been (I'm talking about themes). I know it's likely GTA will stay in the same 3 basic locations, but the potential of visiting other locations/time periods is far greater in the GTA franchise.

I'd love to see another Red Dead, but there's only so much you can do with a Western game. One of GTA's greatest assets I feel is there isn't just one particular theme. In the 14 years since GTA 1 we've only seen a relatively small part of the criminal world from GTA 's perspective. R* could push the series out easily with another 10+ games and it would still feel fresh IMO and not feel like it's a cash cow.

It doesn't hurt to try though, right?

Not to twist your words there, but when you said "I don't feel R* will never make another franchise as open ended and as free as what GTA has been" all I could read was "I don't feel R* will never make another franchise like a cash cow GTA has been".

Rockstar could use the earnings of V to expand on Bully or Red Dead. You can forget about LA Noire. Or better yet, make an attempt to create a whole new franchise.

The crime aspect has been overplayed in movies, TV and even video games. I think there's a lot more to do in a Western game than a modern world game. There's a lot more activities in Red Dead Redemption than GTA IV if you haven't realized. Don't forget, RDR's map is bigger too. Bigger than San Andreas even. Horses and mountains are much better to look at than cars and buildings.

What I'm saying is there's a lot more potential to other themes than the usual crime lord stories. High school bully? Originality. Western cowboy? Originality. although it's overplayed in movies. Table tennis player? Originality, although it's sh*t.

This cover is mighty protective.

People don't retire at fifty smile.gif I'd say they'd probably find others to take their place, and slowly give them more power in decisions for the game. Maybe by the time they get to the stage, (let's say 60 is the age where someone would stop making video games) which is 20 year away, the game probably would of reached it's limits anyway. It would be cool if they keep the game in the current universe and have one large climax to do a send-off that gives the series justice.

I do hope the series ends before it gets stale, which probably won't happen sad.gif Although it does seem like R* are starting push out new IPs. Personally, I would love to see a R* created superhero game!

Harwood Butch3r
It doesn't hurt to try though, right?

Not to twist your words there, but when you said "I don't feel R* will never make another franchise as open ended and as free as what GTA has been" all I could read was "I don't feel R* will never make another franchise like a cash cow GTA has been".

Rockstar could use the earnings of V to expand on Bully or Red Dead. You can forget about LA Noire. Or better yet, make an attempt to create a whole new franchise.

The crime aspect has been overplayed in movies, TV and even video games. I think there's a lot more to do in a Western game than a modern world game. There's a lot more activities in Red Dead Redemption than GTA IV if you haven't realized. Don't forget, RDR's map is bigger too. Bigger than San Andreas even. Horses and mountains are much better to look at than cars and buildings.

What I'm saying is there's a lot more potential to other themes than the usual crime lord stories. High school bully? Originality. Western cowboy? Originality. although it's overplayed in movies. Table tennis player? Originality, although it's sh*t.

This cover is mighty protective.

I understand what you're saying, but realistically how many more games in the Bully or Red Dead franchise can there be before they lose their charm? I love Bully, but I don't really think R* could expand it that much more. I'd love to see a Bully 2 in college or something, but beyond that?

Similar to Red Dead. I want to see another one, but after that? The point I was trying to make wasn't necessarily to do with in game content. I mean if you prefer a western setting to a modern one that's cool. It's all subjective, but I just don't see anything filling the massive shoes GTA will leave once it's gone for good.

I'd love for R* to attempt a pirate game, but even that them has its limitations for future expansion.

Vegetarian Piranha

a bully game can possibly turn into a gta game..

graduate from college, life doesnt goes as planned so you f*ck sh*t up.

Harwood Butch3r

Then it wouldn't be a "Bully" game anymore IMO. I wouldn't like to see Bully turn into a GTA hybrid.

Having a Bully game to be a prequel of sorts for a GTA protagonist would be amazing!!

U better, nah but I believe ure the only one. GTA games sell like crazy so they'll continue. N just cus u think its getting old doesnt mean the kid who plays GTA IV for the first time thinks so, maybe youve played to much or something.

Just out of curiosity, Does anyone know who sold the most, RDR or GTA IV?

I've been thinking about this recently; the trend in video games is to concentrate on the online aspect - rumour is that Valve is going to drop or heavily reduce the single-player elements in games, for example - since it is so lucrative if it works: if you charge players subscriptions to online multiplayer, you have a guaranteed source of income that pirating won't affect so much. However, that's only if it works: you may be aware of the failure of APB, and all the failed attempts to copy the WoW model. I think Rockstar is going to move into this area more than they have, given the success of it's multiplayer. The innovations recently revealed in MP3's multiplayer also point to a more story-centred online experience.

So my guess is that GTA V will be one of the last GTAs where the single-player story will be front and centre. Sequels will move online. This doesn't mean the story will be gone - it's one of the series' USPs after all - but that it'll take place online. If that's true, I'll probably not continue with it, as I'm getting too old to argue with teenagers through VOIP.

As for whether the Houser brothers will retire at 50, they could - they apparently take 30% of net profits on all Rockstar games - but whether they would is another question entirely. I imagine that Dan Houser will reduce his role in writing game scripts as time goes on.

mate im joking... do i really need to put a sarcasm/joking tag?

It wouldn't be such a bad idea, I had no idea you were sarcastic either.

If GTA V DID actually finish the GTA series, I'd hope that they'd finish it with a bang. I'm talking a ground breaking game, one that really sets the cornerstone for games in the future. They basically say "look what we just did, world, do better".

But I hope they continue on. GTA is evolving for the better. Look at the differences in generations of GTA, and the leaps that they've taken (mainly GTA III/VC to SA, SA to IV, IV to V, hopefully)

It really is a game ahead of it's time, so I hope they keep going or like I said, end the series on a high note. But quite frankly it's such a high revenue franchise, that I hope they see this as an opportunity and milk it more, but give the consumers what they want. They screwed pooch with IV, I hope they learn from their mistakes (and don't give PC users a bad ported piece of work)

This may sound silly, but I feel as though R* are still getting started with the GTA franchise. I love every GTA game that they have made, but with every game, I can't help but feel that there is something else they could have done, some minor aspect they could have made better. It still feels like they're perfecting these games. Video games have become a massive consumer base over the last few years, so why would they stop making games when the video game industry itself has only just became completely mainstream. ( I understand that it has been going for a tonne of time, but I really feel as though the half life of the video game obsession we are experiencing is even near).

This may sound silly, but I feel as though R* are still getting started with the GTA franchise. I love every GTA game that they have made, but with every game, I can't help but feel that there is something else they could have done, some minor aspect they could have made better. It still feels like they're perfecting these games. Video games have become a massive consumer base over the last few years, so why would they stop making games when the video game industry itself has only just became completely mainstream. ( I understand that it has been going for a tonne of time, but I really feel as though the half life of the video game obsession we are experiencing is even near).

It's because the development/evolution of the series hasn't tapered off yet. Like I said, VC > SA > IV > V have seen significant improvements to the game. Depending on how V runs, looks and feels, the series could go on for a lot longer. It's done a great job and they've done the right things to get it this far, from a top down shooter game to a 3D sandbox environment, with almost real life aspects.

But if they were to stop GTA, you think they'd make another type of free roaming, cop killing mayhem of a game?

But if they were to stop GTA, you think they'd make another type of free roaming, cop killing mayhem of a game?

Well, they'd just call it GTA. Unless they alter the scenario so much that it's essentially not Grand Theft Auto. Take Red Dead Redemption for example, its the same missions/objectives, but it's a whole different game in a way.

I hope we see a new Vice City/Miami game before the end, because I always loved Vice City. It had a laid back atmosphere, and was so enjoyable. I'd like to see a modern day version, not the 80's because we've already seen two Vice City games from the same era, I'd like to see how Tommy and Rosenburg are doing (provided they returned from San Andreas)

Official General

@ mrpain

So because the GTA series has been around of years now, that is reason for Rockstar to stop making GTA ? THAT DON'T MAKE SENSE. What's the fact that the GTA formula is old, got to do with anything ? NOTHING. Rockstar can always bring new ideas and innovations to the table, when making any new GTA game, that old formula claim is MEANINGLESS. What do you know about which formula should replace the old one ? You did'nt create the GTA games yourself to know that its time is up, did you ? NO. Why does GTA have to be sacrificed and be made extinct for Rockstar to make other new games or game franchises ? I see no reason why Rockstar cannot make GTA and still carry on making completely new games with new ideas. Rockstar can make GTA and still make other different games. You really are one serious dumb-a*s fool.

Rockstar gave you Reed Dead Redemption after GTA IV did'nt they not ? You just spoke about that and you'd rather see that. There living proof, they can do GTA and other games. And may I remind you that the concept of Red Dead Redemption is not that new at all, there were a good few open-world, free-roaming 3rd-pseron, Western action games before RDR, a game called GUN was one of them, it was on the PS2 and came out in 2005. GUN was basically a last-generation version of RDR, you could pretty much do the same things in RDR except that GUN had a smaller map and obviously lesser quality graphics. By your logic Rockstar should stop making Red Dead and do something else, its been done before. You see how silly you sound ? Think before you speak.

You are an idiot. Why on earth would you want GTA V to be the last GTA ? It begs the question, just what the f**k are you doin on a GTA website anyway ? If you don't wanna see GTA being made again, then go somewhere else. This place is presumably for gamers who are big fans of GTA games, they love the franchise and they wanna keep playing GTA games for as long as they continue to be made. But you come up with some total bullsh*t about Rockstar should make this the last GTA game and do something else ?

Get the f**k out of here man.

Edited by Official General

@ mrpain

So because the GTA series has been around of years now, that is reason for Rockstar to stop making GTA ? THAT DON'T MAKE SENSE. What's the fact that the GTA formula is old, got to do with anything ? NOTHING. Rockstar can always bring new ideas and innovations to the table, when making any new GTA game, that old formula claim is MEANINGLESS. What do you know about which formula should replace the old one ? You did'nt create the GTA games yourself to know that its time is up, did you ? NO. Why does GTA have to be sacrificed and be made extinct for Rockstar to make other new games or game franchises ? I see no reason why Rockstar cannot make GTA and still carry on making completely new games with new ideas. Rockstar can make GTA and still make other different games. You really are one serious dumb-a*s fool.

Rockstar gave you Reed Dead Redemption after GTA IV did'nt they not ? You just spoke about that and you'd rather see that. There living proof, they can do GTA and other games. And may I remind you that the concept of Red Dead Redemption is not that new at all, there were a good few open-world, free-roaming 3rd-pseron, Western action games before RDR, a game called GUN was one of them, it was on the PS2 and came out in 2005. GUN was basically a last-generation version of RDR, you could pretty much do the same things in RDR except that GUN had a smaller map and obviously lesser quality graphics. By your logic Rockstar should stop making Red Dead and do something else, its been done before. You see how silly you sound ? Think before you speak.

You are an idiot. Why on earth would you want GTA V to be the last GTA ? It begs the question, just what the f**k are you doin on a GTA website anyway ? If you don't wanna see GTA being made again, then go somewhere else. This place is presumably for gamers who are big fans of GTA games, they love the franchise and they wanna keep playing GTA games for as long as they continue to be made. But you come up with some total bullsh*t about Rockstar should make this the last GTA game and do something else ?

Get the f**k out of here man.

I love it. I was friendliest as possible and this happens. Alright since you replied me paragraph by paragraph I shall play the same game too.

Let's start with your first paragraph. I said "Give Rockstar North something else to do. Yeah, I said Rockstar North, not the entire Rockstar Games. R* Games have other studios to deal with other games. But if you look back, Rockstar North have been doing only GTA games for the past eight years or so. Sure you can say they also worked on Red Dead Redemption with Rockstar San Diego, but what I'm talking about is let them make a whole new game that is not GTA by themselves. I like how people think that Rockstar Games is only one studio.

Second paragraph alright, I did play GUN before. It was short though. So yeah, we have GUN and Red Dead Redemption. What else? Call of Juarez? No that was a FPS. Let's look at the genre for GTA. We got Saints Row, Godfather, Mafia, not sure whether Driver would count but yeah that's my point.

Lastly your last paragraph. I was a GTA fan before, but I'm no longer one. Why am I still here? Well it's because of this three places. You guys should know there's a lot more happenings around the forum other than the GTAs section. I rarely visit the V section. So it begs the question, why the hell am I typing this for?

Yes I will get the f*ck outta here if it so pleases you. Why can't everyone be like Miamivicecity and give an actual discussion here?

Oh well, toodles.

Triple Vacuum Seal

The concept of GTA will never end. Even when it's no longer called GTA nor made by Rockstar, there will always be a market for a sandbox-style crime adventure. This is 21st century capitalism. No one will sit back and not make these type of games with that much money waiting to be made.

Edited by canttakemyid

Can't see the GTA series ending for a long long time. The gaming industry is very much a sequel driven industry, just look at all the big games that have come out in the past year and what's coming out next year. Very few new franchises but lots of sequels to games like Fifa, Call of Duty, Halo, Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls, Diablo... The list goes on. But I think eventually Rockstar North will come to a point where the franchise will have it's final game, it just seems ridiculous to think that we'll have a Grand Theft Auto LXXXIX. Rockstar are a studio that isn't afraid of trying something new as well. Also I think development studios are becoming game sellers, rather than franchise names. Anything with "Rockstar Games Presents" on the front cover will sell very well as people trust Rockstar to deliver a quality game. Also if you look at EA, they're making new BioWare studios what seems to be all the time as people think "quality" when they see the game is made by a BioWare studio.

GTA is a test run for virtual reality. It will evolve, like we all will into something we can't quite imagine at the present. Woah. monocle.gif

zeppelincheetah

Creatively I believe they (the Houser bros) will get tired of the series, after another 10 to 15 years. They will have less and less direct involvement with the series. The same thing has happened with other old franchises. Lets look at 4 examples:

1) Pac-man. This was the most popular arcade game in the early 80's and had several sequels and spinoffs but now it has totally died, nobody cares about it except old people with nostalgia. Gaming has changed so much that simple games like Pac-man are archaic.

2) Resident Evil. Mikami, the creator, left making Resident Evil after RE4. Now RE imo is doomed to fade out without the creator at the reigns.

3) Metal Gear. Series creator Hideo Kojima has been trying to leave the series for a while now. Finally Metal Gear is being left with others and it's making a left turn. Metal Gear Rising. The stealth series has turned into an action series...

4) Grand Theft Auto. Remember Dave Jones? No? He was the creator of Grand Theft Auto. He left the series in 1999 and eventually made Crackdown and A.P.B. The series could've fizzled then but the series went on to have a 3d sequel with the guidance of the Houser bros. Point is, they might lose interest in the series but it would then be picked up by someone else, most likely for the worst. Or Rockstar could keep bringing out new IPs and one of those will become more popular and more entertaining than GTA and they'll just phase it out. It's Take-Two's cash cow so a replacement would have to be very very lucrative. Inevitably, in 30 years, the industry will change in ways that can't be predicted and the gaming of the present will be like pac-man, seem so archaic that nobody would really care for a new GTA because that's what old people play with feelings of nostalgia of the early years of the 21st century