Running

GTA_stu

Ok so I had an ingrown toenail for absolutely ages, and got it cut out not long ago. It's healed up now but I basically couldn't do any proper excercise for nearly 6 months because it hurt so bad and then I had to wait for it to heal up. I'm still in good shape, but have basically no fitness.

So I thought to get back to some good fitness I'd start running, even though I haven't really done it before. This morning I set off at 7 (that's called committment) and was back at 8. I think I did about 4 miles altogether but dear god I was puffing. In fact when I got to my target (supermarket about 2 miles from my house) I had to stop and lean against a lampost for 5 minutes and was nearly sick. After that I walked about half a mile as well because I thought I was going to pass out, then I felt alright again and jogged back the rest of the way.

So are there any people who do a bit of running on here? If so have you got any tips? I know I went waaay too fast and didn't pace myself very well, and that's something I need to work on a bit. Also, what about food? What do you eat before you set off, if anything? I just had a cereal bar, so I don't know if that contributed to me feeling sick.

So yh just basically share your experiences of running, and offer any tips if you can.

The questions you're asking are pretty broad. There are so many different styles of running which target different areas, and there are a plethora of reasons for which one runs. Are you interested in running in order to develop your stamina? Are you trying to lose weight? Are you trying to improve your sprint speed? Good fitness can mean anything, really.

6L71qdt.gif

Haha, love the fact you added an awesome song to this post icon14.gif

Anyway, i eat alot of fatty foods and im always worrying about putting weight on, i dont do committed running exercises but i do play football\soccer.

I always wonder if that alone will stop me from getting fat mercie_blink.gif most likely not, also im not very well fatigued myself. I run out of breath after 10 mins of footie. icon13.gif

I do realize its due to smoking (ive quit now) but all i do is eat, drink and eat again, the odd footie game wont stop me getting fat surely even though im kinda thin at the moment?

Anyway dude if you keep committed your body will get used to it and you'll be fighting fit in no time.

@Stefche I'm doing it to improve my stamina. I have a really good metabolism and eat pretty healthy anyways so it's not to lose weight. I used to play football and was going to join my uni football team but like I said I had an ingrown toenal. Halfway through the season now so don't really want to join a team, I'll wait till next season. But in the mean time I want to increase my stamina so that come next season I won't collapse 20 minutes into the game.

I've been doing running for a few years now, I mainly do long distance running and my stamina is quite high now. If you're interested in doing long distance running, you have to be determined and not to just give up when you feel tired. Then again, don't get too overenthusiastic when starting a run and go bolting off, keep at your own pace. I wouldn't suggest doing a 10k (6 mile) run to start with, carry on with 4 or 5 mile runs until you feel you can run 5 miles easily and/or in about 20 minutes. Pace and determination are two of the most vital components in running. I assume you are interested in long distance since it keeps you fit better than short distance IMO and you've done a 4 mile run. Try not to start running over massively hilly ground either, because that will just mess your knees up.

@Stefche I'm doing it to improve my stamina. I have a really good metabolism and eat pretty healthy anyways so it's not to lose weight. I used to play football and was going to join my uni football team but like I said I had an ingrown toenal. Halfway through the season now so don't really want to join a team, I'll wait till next season. But in the mean time I want to increase my stamina so that come next season I won't collapse 20 minutes into the game.

Your best bet, then, is fartlek training or general interval training. Given that you have a history of playing sports, I'm sure that you're aware of both of these techniques, but they're generally the most well-respected when it comes to stamina training. They're also great for football.

When it comes to running and stamina, you've really got to keep it simple and non-complicated, while using general common sense: consistency is your best friend, and you should always train to a level which slightly exceeds your present fitness level - both of these are constants. Over time, naturally your own fitness, your lung capacity, your muscular endurance, and both your aerobic and anaerobic abilities will improve. Everyone has their own preferences when it comes to training programs and schedules, but the general rule of thumb (of about 30 minutes of strenuous exercise at least four to five days a week) should be sufficient to work around. Just gotta keep at it, and you'll be back in the game in no time. icon14.gif

I was in a similar situation last summer, where I basically went a couple of weeks without doing anything strenuous (mind you, I didn't have an ingrown toe-nail, I was just as lazy as a sloth on a Sunday afternoon), and once I started running again, it felt like I was a POW begging for my supper. My program involved me creating a track around my local neighbourhood which was about 1.8-2 kilometres in length, segmenting the track up into three 400 metre sections and three 200 metre sections, running along the 400 metre segments at a high pace (probably 80% of VO2 max or above) and walking the 200 metre segments. I'd consider one 400 metre run in conjunction with one 200 metre walk to be one "rep", and I'd basically run as many reps as my body could handle. At first I wanted to go every day, but I realised that this was a bit useless since I simply felt lethargic and felt like my fitness wasn't improving all that much. Still, I made an effort to run at least four times a week and it all worked out. At first, I was struggling to hit two or three of those reps, but after a couple of weeks it finally reached the stage where I could complete the entire track three or four times in one sitting, and running along that stage felt absolutely f*cking golden.

Needless to say, once the football season started, I pretty much ditched it since I was doing plenty of running at training and on the pitch, and that's more or less continued to this day, even during the off-season. Only running I do now is whilst playing indoor football weekly (nothing overtly competitive or anything - we play in a league, but it's basically just a chance for us all to have fun and exert our inner Ronaldo without embarrassment) and it's plenty for me. Besides, I've started weight training over the past couple of months (mainly high-rep, low-resistance toning for now, but progressively I'm moving towards the low-rep, high-resistance bulking stage), and the joy I get from that is far greater than that which I get from simply running. But, hey, this is a running topic so I don't want to get off track too much.

EDIT

Haha, love the fact you added an awesome song to this post icon14.gif

Anyway, i eat alot of fatty foods and im always worrying about putting weight on, i dont do committed running exercises but i do play football\soccer.

I always wonder if that alone will stop me from getting fat mercie_blink.gif most likely not, also im not very well fatigued myself. I run out of breath after 10 mins of footie. icon13.gif

I do realize its due to smoking (ive quit now) but all i do is eat, drink and eat again, the odd footie game wont stop me getting fat surely even though im kinda thin at the moment?

Anyway dude if you keep committed your body will get used to it and you'll be fighting fit in no time.

Unless you're eating a crap-load of carbs in addition to all the fat you're consuming, and assuming that the amount of energy you exert whilst playing football is decent, then no, you shouldn't put on weight. Just keep in mind that the body will use carbohydrates as a preferential energy source to fat, and if you've had a heavy meal involving a lot of kilojoules of carbohydrates and fat, then the amount of energy you'll need to exert in order to balance that would be greater than if you simply consumed a certain quantity of fat and then subsequently burned that off.

Edited by Stefche

6L71qdt.gif

I'm still in good shape, but have basically no fitness.

What makes you think that?

Fitness isn't much more than being able to run up two flights of stairs, pick up a dime from the floor with your legs straight, reading an automobiles registration plate from 50 or more feet away, threading a needle quickly.

Add to that, getting up after restfull sleep and being alert.

Are you looking to be the next Mister Universe?

Thanks Stefche and xI Jakk Ix, some really really great advice there icon14.gif

Hilly ground won't be a problem since where I live is 95% incredibly flat terrain. The fartlek training sounds more suited to me as it will be useful for when I play football. I've done very similar training styles when I played football as well so I know it already, although I have to say I didn't know it was called that. But I do enjoy a bit of long distance running as well so I'll try to find a balance between them, I will probably focus on the fartlek style more though.

The idea of creating a "track" seems really good, I'll try this out. I'll invest in a stop watch as well so I can time myself. Any tips on what foods to eat before I set off? Any foods I should avoid? Is there anything that is really good and well suited for running?

I'll probably start off doing it 2 times a week doing as many reps of 400 meter running n then 200 meter walking as I can. Then after I get a bit more used to it I'll try 3 times a week.

Would you also recommend getting a proper pair of running shoes? Right now I just have regular trainers/sneakers whatever you wanna call them.

lil Weasel Maybe what you described is ok for an OAP, but I'm looking for something a bit more than "being able to run up 2 flights of stairs" wink.gif

Edited by GTA_stu

• 2 months later...

I searched. I found this. Now playing that song whilst replying.

I really enjoy running. I had to stop about 8 months ago due to over doing it and having to go to physio. I've just got back into it, tonight, and got back around an hour ago. I ran 3.65 miles. I'm not interested in the time as at this stage, I have to build myself up again, but it was around 45 minutes due to running, walking it off, repeating, running further etc.

But I love it. I have all the stuff I need. I have the Nike+ Sensor for the iPod which attaches to my Running Shoes (Never run in normal trainers, fast track to agony), but tracks everything from Miles/KM, Calories & Time, the arm strap so it doesn't weigh my pockets down. Also I prefer to run in the evening/night, so I have flashing arm bands just incase I go through places with no street lights etc. Also, I don't carry my phone (extra weight), the only thing I carry is a bottle of water.

All in all, a good session. I'll do this every 2 days so not to over do it.

@stu, if you think about it, with food, it's pretty obvious what to avoid, and if it's good, just don't over eat. Also, I wait 2 hours after eating before I set off running. As I said above, never run in basic trainers. That's all I need to say on that one.

I'm no expert, but I'll try and help and join in discussion.

I run for my school. The only way to get better at running is to just keep at it, like my coach says, "what you put in is what you get out."

Hell I'm an amateur, but since I myself accompany running with a ton of strenous conditioning to get back in shape for Track & Field season I'll give some advice that has helped me with my running along with stamina and endurance.

First of all start easy and SLOW, especially if you're out of shape. Start off with 1/2 of a mile and add the other half to the next day and vice-versa. Before you run though, stretch and warm up. If you don't stretch and warm up before you run, especially if you're going for long-distance, you have a higher chance of injuring yourself since your muscles aren't loosened up. Do sets of lunges and ESPECIALLY sit-ups to build up your abs which will help with your breathing which triumphs over stamina and endurance. Afterwards do a couple of high knees (run in place while lifting your knees up to your chest), stretches etc... most importantly stay hydrated and don't drink soda or eat fatty food before you run. Diet wise, carbs and potassium, important. Pasta, Bananas and rice will work. Eat some before you go for a long run.

Now when you're running you shouldn't go for long strides go for short strides and KEEP your pace. Heel toe heel toe, it's a really simple concept. Also when you're running you should keep your shoulders and arms relaxed. Don't make them tense, why? Because when you're running you need to preserve oxygen for your leg muscles so that you can, well, RUN. Don't waste your oxygen on useless muscles, it will make you slower and no doubt you will burn a tire sooner or later. Diet and building up your excersise is all you need.

I run for 30 minutes on a treadmill 3 days a week. Started my diet on 12/10/11, started at 205, now Im at 180. I began running 1.95 miles in 30, now I run about 2.75-2.80, my high was 2.87

It's funny that this topic got brought back to life because it's kinda the same for my running. It was going great and I was doing it twice a week, then the snow came. I tried to run in it but it was just too slippy because of the ice and I didn't want to break anything or hurt myself. So I decided to wait until it melted which took about 3 and a half weeks. Then I just didn't get round to it and kept putting it off. It just so happens that I decided to make tomorrow the day I'd start again.

Like I said it was going good. I went on google maps and marked out 400m segments in which I'd do high intensity running, then 200m segments where I'd recover. I was doing 7-8 (400 + 200 = 1) no problem. Although I used to do it at about 7ish in the morning, which is a time when people are going to work. I remember huffing and puffing when I was just getting to the end of a high intensity segment, and thought to myself "Yes finally I can nearly rest!". Then at the marker (a bus stop) I saw 3 attractive women waiting for a bus, and no way could I start walking, they'd think I was giving up. So it nearly killed me but I powered on and kept my dignity.

Nah, walking is the way to go amigo. None of this huffing and puffing affair.

I'm out strolling three times a week and as fit as a fiddle. If you're talking a seven or so mile walk - should take you no more than an hour and a wee treacle more.

Fresh air, torture free and something youre more likely to stick with. The life of a rambler is a fitness routine that will see you right through to your senior years. Wind, rain, snow or shine.

I've been traipsing all over for the last three years and am routinely seeing new faces running along the same footpaths. None of the f*ckers ever last.

Well, for me it's weightloss at the moment, so I'm better off with the running. Maybe walking comes afterwards to maintain the fitness?

I just got back from the shops, picked myself up some new joggers, shorts and a sweat top. Only cheap ones as my Nike stuff is wearing a bit now.

I am horribly out of shape, I really am. I went running in a field, and I was jogging at a steady pace for at least fifteen minutes. Next day, I try it again and can barely last two. That killed my interest in running, I can't run if my body won't do what I know it's capable of.

That's why you need to push yourself. Music helps, alot.

No pain, no gain.

I don't run anymore because i have a car now but when i did i could do a mile in 7 minutes.

user posted imageuser posted image

i try to run at least twice a week. keeps my lungs feeling good and keeps me in shape.

user posted image

MrDanceWithLance

In order to be a good runner, you have to remember to drink plenty of water, eat a healthy, balanced diet and practice. Going on regular runs is good practice for you.

Well, I was due to run yesterday but was still a bit hungover so I'll go today. I'm thinking about going on a long walk first, just to get out the house, maybe take my camera, and finish it off with a run.

I'm a semi-professional football (soccer) player.. and i like running alot! i'm actually the fastest one in my town, my advice to those who want to be fast: drink alot of water, eat healthy, have a balanced practice

Edited by Gtaghost22

I'm a semi-professional football (soccer) player.. and i like running alot! i'm actually the fastest one in my town, my advice to those who want to be fast: drink alot of water, eat healthy, have a balanced practice

Who do you play for?

user posted imageuser posted image

arsenal_fan
That's why you need to push yourself. Music helps, alot.

No pain, no gain.

Definitely, don't think I would be able to do half the running I do without it, nothing better than having a motivating beat to get you up the hill.

I use to run on the treadmill but now I run in a national park near my place and it is amazing, I actually want to go for a run now unlike on the treadmill where it felt like a chore. If you can find a place that you really like to run then that makes a lot of difference and will keep you motivate to keep doing it consistently.

Keep meaning to get into running so I'm not a complete lazy slob. Downloaded a Couch to 5k app on my phone, going to force myself into completing the 9 week course I think. Anyone had any experience of using such programmes? Charlie Brooker swears by his. Might even invest in some running shoes so I'm pretty much forced to use them tounge.gif

user posted image

I've tried listening to it but never used it. Just keep trying to better myself. I've covered 10 miles the past 2 days. Mainly power walking, but I'm finding that very effective too.