Review Predictions

Reebokanonymous

What Metacritic score do you predict GTA V will receive?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. What Metacritic score do you predict GTA V will receive?

• 98-100
    • 95-97
    • 92-94
    • 89-91
    • 85-88
    • 80-84
    • <80

Reebokanonymous

Grand Theft Auto has been a critically acclaimed series since the release of III. In my opinion, the games just keep getting better. There were some things that I thought were worse in IV than SA, but overall, I thought IV was better, especially with the Episodes.

I'm sure some members will scoff at trying to predict the review scores so early on, especially in a poll created by someone who just joined (rest assured I've been playing GTA for just shy of 10 years). However, I've found that it is fairly easy to estimate the review scores from major publications, and it's pretty fun.

We'll obviously get a better idea of the story and gameplay closer to release, but right now it seems like the graphics are better, the gameplay will likely be similar to IV (but now with planes, countryside, etc.), and the story definitely has potential to stand out.

user posted image

This .gif alone gives me very high hopes for this game.

Some Metacritic scores for past GTA games include:

Grand Theft Auto (Gameboy Advance version) - 68

Grand Theft Auto 2 - 70

Grand Theft Auto III - 97

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - 95

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - 95

Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories - 88

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories - 86

Grand Theft Auto IV - 98

Grand Theft Auto IV: The Lost and Damned - 90

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars - 93

Grand Theft Auto IV: The Ballad of Gay Tony - 89

Regardless of the Metacritic score, I know we'll all buy 15 copies of GTA V on the first day, but I think it'd be fun to see what others think. Following this trend, it would seem likely that the game will receive high review scores, but we'll see what reviewers think when the game releases. Personally, I think it will be the best game of the series whether or not reviewers agree.

You expect super standard games from Rockstar, so unless they somehow screw up badly. I expect in the high 90's

Reebokanonymous

^^ Yeah it's going to be up there for sure. To be honest, I really don't play many video games, but GTA is so far beyond most others that I find myself playing for hours on end.

Also, sorry about the formatting of the poll. I definitely had the <80 option at the bottom, but somehow it got pushed up there when I published it.

CryptReaperDorian

My guess is that the Metacritic score will probably be about 95%. I think the critics are always getting more demanding, and I think GTA V will have to do something great for R* to get perfect scores once again. Like how R* revamped the driving physics for GTA IV, I expect R* to make guns to actually feel like guns (unlike how guns never had any vertical recoil in previous GTAs and Red Dead Redemption). Also, if R* can do it, then I think it's time to ditch hit-scan.

95-97, I think that MetaCritic's gonna bitch too much about the whole realistic gameplay and less fun. I just love how Rockstar has gon' that realistic way. I agree, I had a little bit more fun in San Andreas than in GTA IV. But if Rockstar can combine the realistic world, graphics and good story with a bit more brainless fun, This will easily get a 10/10. Rockstar has never let me down. They are my no. 1 gamedeveloper/publisher ever!

STOP MAKING POINTLESS  THREADS, I'm sick of this.

No, you aren't. You just want to impress moderators by saying sh*t like "OMG GTFO DOOD THIS THRED IS USELESS COMPARED TO MI ASSIM THREDS"

G1T

Guessing it'll be 100, at least the consoles version. Ass kissing? Maybe. But we can't deny Rockstar works hard on it.

Stoic Intrusion

well, with IV being the most overrated game in video game history i'm pretty sure it wont happen with V.

95-97, I think that MetaCritic's gonna bitch too much about the whole realistic gameplay and less fun. I just love how Rockstar has gon' that realistic way. I agree, I had a little bit more fun in San Andreas than in GTA IV. But if Rockstar can combine the realistic world, graphics and good story with a bit more brainless fun, This will easily get a 10/10. Rockstar has never let me down. They are my no. 1 gamedeveloper/publisher ever!

I don't get why people want it to be less fun. GTA IV wasn't as fun as San Andreas, therefore it wasn't as good of a game in that regard. I'm under the impression that Rockstar has realized their mistake and will make V the best yet.

Looks like GTA V might possibly be out in May. After the book release in April according to a GameBandits article.

I'm guessing 95 - 97. I thought GTA 4 was mostly overrated (if only a little), and even though I think GTA 5 will only improve, it probably won't get any higher than that.

IGN will give it a 9.9

Pretty close. I'm thinking IGN will give V a review more along the lines of 11.5/10

You can't spell Ignorant without IGN

No, you aren't. You just want to impress moderators by saying sh*t like "OMG GTFO DOOD THIS THRED IS USELESS COMPARED TO MI ASSIM THREDS"

hahahahaha

I also have to give that a hahahahaha, LOL, ROFL and a LMAO. Every topic created now on the V forums has one of these statements.

Cookies for you Sir cookie.gifcookie.gifcookie.gif

Reebokanonymous
IGN will give it a 9.9

They'd have to give it a 10 since they only use a 20-pt. scale now. I see IGN giving it a 9.5 for ridiculous gripes like "not enough direction" or "too much freedom." Not saying that's a bad score, but their scores this year indicate that they'd rather have a game that is less fun do everything right than have a game that is an absolute blast, but has some issues.

Rockstar makes the most polished, ready-for-release games on the market for its level of ambition. The reason I think some publications will lower their scores is because of the backlash from IV. That's why it's important to take review scores with a grain of salt. There are way too many other factors aside from the quality of the game that go into those scores.

For example, from what I've heard, Assassin's Creed: Revelations is really fun, but reviewers didn't think it differed or progressed enough from the previous entries, and it's also only been a year since Brotherhood. A Metascore less than 80 is iffy, but anything above that is worth a look.

On the other hand, I wasn't a big fan of Fallout 3. No offense to those who liked it, but I just couldn't appreciate it like the reviewers who gave it a 93 on Metacritic. Mass Effect, which has a 91, is one of my favorite games of all time.

Ultimately, I'm guessing a 97 for GTA V. It looks stunning, and I'm certain I will only be more stunned when it is released.

IGN will give it a 9.9

Pretty close. I'm thinking IGN will give V a review more along the lines of 11.5/10

You can't spell Ignorant without IGN

Well played sir. lol.gif

98-100. Even if the game turns out to be absolute trash, it will still get praised because it's GTA.

Not so much. I mean, GTA may be overated some times, but being close to trash is too much. Maybe only if they follow the patern of releasing a game every year, and every time less polished.

IGN will give it a 9.9

They'd have to give it a 10 since they only use a 20-pt. scale now. I see IGN giving it a 9.5 for ridiculous gripes like "not enough direction" or "too much freedom." Not saying that's a bad score, but their scores this year indicate that they'd rather have a game that is less fun do everything right than have a game that is an absolute blast, but has some issues.

Rockstar makes the most polished, ready-for-release games on the market for its level of ambition. The reason I think some publications will lower their scores is because of the backlash from IV. That's why it's important to take review scores with a grain of salt. There are way too many other factors aside from the quality of the game that go into those scores.

For example, from what I've heard, Assassin's Creed: Revelations is really fun, but reviewers didn't think it differed or progressed enough from the previous entries, and it's also only been a year since Brotherhood. A Metascore less than 80 is iffy, but anything above that is worth a look.

On the other hand, I wasn't a big fan of Fallout 3. No offense to those who liked it, but I just couldn't appreciate it like the reviewers who gave it a 93 on Metacritic. Mass Effect, which has a 91, is one of my favorite games of all time.

Ultimately, I'm guessing a 97 for GTA V. It looks stunning, and I'm certain I will only be more stunned when it is released.

And also, the score is too much linked to what's on the mainstream. A SimCity 4 may have a better score than a Cities In Motion, this doesn't mean simulation fans won't love both. On the other hand, a SimCity Societies gets a lower score, because of being more-of-the-same, with even less features, just with a nice 3D to cover its faults.

IGN will give it a 9.9

Exactly, its all a matter of taste, thats why i never look up reviews for games im interested in buying, i simply rent them and see for myself. GTA IV will always be a 10 for me.

it will no doubt recieve the highest ratings and great reviews.....

will it deserve such praise?... who knows, most reviewers are retarded and will give high marks 2 any game regardless of how good it Actually is or how much its improved

Harwood Butch3r

We have to remember review scores are based on opinion. I honestly believe one of the main reasons GTA IV got 10s is because it was the first current gen GTA and it actually did improve a lot of the core aspects of the series whether its critics will admit it, or not.

I couldn't care less if a game got a sh*t review score. It's what I like that matters. The GTA series has been pretty consistent though and I can't see any GTA dropping below a 9.

Most reviews should (and usually do) review a game for what it is, not what it should be. GTA IV is in a class of very few in that regard. The detail, story, writing, voice acting, animation etc is, for a lack of a better term, world class. There's very very few companies that put as much detail and quality into their games as Rockstar do, not to mention polish their games to such a high standard. Sure it didn't quite live up to expectations for some GTA fans as they feel it was missing features that made SA great but that doesn't mean IV was a bad game. What IV did it did pretty much one hundred percent brilliantly, that's why it has such high scores and ratings. I expect GTA V will be 95 minimum on metacritic from reviewers for these reasons.