NASA finds habitable-zone planet

killa kali

I don't want to move there if that planet has already embraced the metric system.

7FTgFLB.png

600 light years away

Damn, looks like I won't be having a holiday there anytime soon then.

I find stuff like this fascinating, I've always had an interest in space. Hopefully one day I'll watch a man land on mars and have the same feeling people had in '69.

Triple Penetration

Finally a place to send all chinese people and also Girishb with his relatives too, and they won't have any excuses.

Ruining this by telling this is a joke, don't want to get a warn or something.

I want to see at least 500 pixel pictures of that planet's surface, I want to see the new grass and trees we never have seen. OR hopefully after 30-50 years.

user posted image

Original Light

That's interesting, there has to be life other than us. Was that picture an actual picture of it, or was it just another article?

That's interesting, there has to be life other than us. Was that picture an actual picture of it, or was it just another article?

You mean the one where it was shown next to the other planets?

Artists impression or something like that.

I don't want to move there if that planet has already embraced the metric system.

But don't you want some Royales with cheese man?

4XEtraA.jpg

But don't you want some Royales with cheese man?

I don't know what that is but I want one. It's got cheese after all.

I checked out the article and I need more before I think it isn't just some fluff piece. This is the first I'm hearing of this, but they have been finding a sh*t ton of planets lately. If it is true, it is kind of big news.

I was actually thinking about the 'habitable zone' the other night. Isn't it a bit presumptuous that we assume that life needs nearly the same conditions as us humans? Just because it doesn't follow our learned science doesn't mean it isn't possible - maybe organisms can live in extreme heat and such.

I was actually thinking about the 'habitable zone' the other night. Isn't it a bit presumptuous that we assume that life needs nearly the same conditions as us humans? Just because it doesn't follow our learned science doesn't mean it isn't possible - maybe organisms can live in extreme heat and such.

There is good science in it. That's not to say that life outside of habitable zone is impossible. We're looking for life on Europa and Titan after all, with later showing a lot of promise. But habitable zone has conditions that are far more favorable for any self-replicating system, from perspective of thermodynamics, chemistry, and composition, so that's where we should be searching.

Prior to filing a bug against any of my code, please consider this response to common concerns.

That's insane, I wonder if there is people there. What do they look like? Little green, the stereotype alien or maybe it's a crazy jungle like different creatuers and sh*t. Like the creatures being insanley creepy, scary, or big. For some odd reason I always want us to discover crazy sci-fi sh*t instead of another planet like ours. That sounds to boring.

Like the old Stones song "2000 Light Years from Home"

I saw this story as well, I was looking for more coverage of that exotic car pileup in Japan though, so, so sad to see

They launched a new explorer bound for Mars in the last week as well.... IIRC

I was actually thinking about the 'habitable zone' the other night.  Isn't it a bit presumptuous that we assume that life needs nearly the same conditions as us humans?  Just because it doesn't follow our learned science doesn't mean it isn't possible - maybe organisms can live in extreme heat and such.

There is good science in it. That's not to say that life outside of habitable zone is impossible. We're looking for life on Europa and Titan after all, with later showing a lot of promise. But habitable zone has conditions that are far more favorable for any self-replicating system, from perspective of thermodynamics, chemistry, and composition, so that's where we should be searching.

I always thought there was way more evidence of life on Europa than Titan, because Titan is unusually cold (reverse Greenhouse effect or something) while Europa may have liquid oceans underground right?

Anyway this is pretty promising, to be honest I thought they had found planets this promising before but I guess not. It's interesting to see that whenever they refine their planet searching methods or hardware they increasingly see how common planets are.

user posted image

The interesting thing about Titan is that it has a dense atmosphere and liquid oceans of methane on the surface. Scientists now believe that you don't necessarily need water to form life, but just some kind of liquid where chemical reactions can take place. The surface of Titan also looks a lot like our own surface, so its really interesting. Very dark there, thought. If you like astronomy, I would recommend listening to these podcasts:

http://www.astronomycast.com/

This is really interesting news with Kepler-22b! I want another space race! Just imagine if we could send a giant telescope closer to for instance Gliese 581g and suddenly we se pictures of large jungles and oceans!