GTAIV Stutter/Lag - Help much appreciated!

Baylife

Hello there. I just joined this forum as a last resort of being able to play GTA4, hope somebody will be able to help me play GTA iv.

when GTA iv was new i made damn sure i would be able to run it at atleast low settings, _i pass the minimum requirements with ease_.

I bought it thru steam for 50-60 euro's. Started playing with 50-60 fps on low-medium settings, for about 5-10 min and then the game started to stutter / lag horribly.

After alot of attemps with commandlines / launch options & other tweaks i gave up and figured it just needed a few patches for things to get fixed, but no such luck. sad.gif

I'm still not able to play the game properly. My version is 1.0.7.0, latest version afaik.

Graphics card: ati hd radeon 4870 512MB.

CPU: Intel core 2 duo E6550 @ 2.33 GHz.

RAM: 2048mb i belive.

I have everything updated, service pack + framework w/e + graphics drivers.

You might be thinking the computer can't handle it.. but according to systemrequirementslab i pass everything.

Plus why would i be able to run the game very smoothly @ about 30-60 FPS for about 5-15 mins & then everything slows down,

And it just gets worse and worse.

Another thing i noticed that is rly funky is that it does not matter if i run the game at 800x600 with LOWEST OF LOW settings, Or if i run the game at high settings,

at say 1650x1080. The game still runs smoothly at high + 1650x1080, for 5-15 minutes as mentioned earlier.

I have like 200+ MB to spare on that resource meter in graphics settings, (green)

Any ideas about what might be causing this problem?

Sorry about my english, and thanks in advance! smile.gif

friendly luggage

Maybe something is getting too hot and then slowing itself down to avoid damage. Download a program called HWMoniter which is a very light program (you don't need to install it) and run it. It will show the temperatures of most things that have a sensor which will be your CPU, graphics card, hard drive etc. While HWMoniter is running start playing GTA IV for a bit and then when it slows down look at HWMoniter and see what the highest recorded temperature was on your CPU and graphics card.

You'll see something like this:

user posted image

Edited by illegal_luggage

Maybe something is getting too hot and then slowing itself down to avoid damage. Download a program called HWMoniter which is a very light program (you don't need to install it) and run it. It will show the temperatures of most things that have a sensor which will be your CPU, graphics card, hard drive etc. While HWMoniter is running start playing GTA IV for a bit and then when it slows down look at HWMoniter and see what the highest recorded temperature was on your CPU and graphics card.

thanks for the quick reply, im trying it now. 15-20mins of playing:

user posted image

kind of hot i guess?

Edited by Baylife

Your graphics card is getting pretty hot yes, but I wouldn't think it's such a problem.

To be honest, your sytem isn't very strong. The minimum for IV is a C2D at 1.8 GHz, so you just pass it.

I'd recommend to use low settngs, and keep the sliders down.

Search 'gta 4 commandline' and use it, and if possible use patch 1.0.4.0.

But you should watch the temps, use MSI Afterburner to turn up the fan of your GPU to keep the temps down.

Your graphics card is getting pretty hot yes, but I wouldn't think it's such a problem.

To be honest, your sytem isn't very strong. The minimum for IV is a C2D at 1.8 GHz, so you just pass it.

I'd recommend to use low settngs, and keep the sliders down.

Search 'gta 4 commandline' and use it, and if possible use patch 1.0.4.0.

Thanks, why use an older patch?

It's odd tho that my fps stays the same if i have everything set on low & sliders at 0 AS when i put everything on medium/high confused.gif

Patch 1.0.4.0 is the best one performance-wise, but looking at your statement you should just keep this patch.

Looking at the fact that your fps stays the same, it means that your CPU is holding you back.

You can try OC'ing it to gain more performance, it'll surely help.

friendly luggage

I would say his graphics card is holding him back more, the ati 3800 is pretty old. Although I would say it's time for a new PC if you want to run the latest games at higher settings.

Another thing i noticed that is rly funky is that it does not matter if i run the game at 800x600 with LOWEST OF LOW settings, Or if i run the game at high settings, at say 1650x1080. The game still runs smoothly at high + 1650x1080, for 5-15 minutes as mentioned earlier.

you have to adjust your distances. start at 5 or 6.

I have like 200+ MB to spare on that resource meter in graphics settings

this means nothing almost... gta IV judging of available resources is quite poor

GTA 4 likes about 2Gb of Ram, for itself, to run well. So, 4Gb of Ram would improve things. Ideally, on a 64bit Windows or do the 3Gb switch.

• 1 year later...

intel core i7

nvidia gt 430

8 GB RAM

windows 7 ultimate

the game stutters!!!!!my PC does not overheat! i have no mods other than scripthook, and simple native trainer.

oohh one thing, in next month, i will upgrade my pc to GTX 470. will it helps?

any help will appreciated!

EDIT:

i think my graphics card is bottlenecking my CPU.

Do you use vsync? if so you may need try disabling that? if that dose not work it maybe upgrade time? notify.gif

Sorry for the bad English but i America. monocle.gif

Edited by SHESUCKS

That's pretty normal, considering the GPU.

What settings are you playing at? you probably should be running the game at Medium settings at most.

3lIXKDi.png