Random Ped and Traffic Spawning

Grand_Theft_Peanut

Grand_Theft_Peanut

I don't know if I'm the only one but it annoys me so much how when you are driving and the road is empty in front of you then you press the right stick to look behind then you let go and you see 6 cars randomly in front of you when a second ago it was clear. They need to fix how traffic spawns and make it more realistic

The same goes for cops, you could be in the middle of no where and a cop would just spawn and go to your exact location. They should be dispatched from the local police station so it takes time before they come to you.

Finally peds, so many times i have gone to an area and just mowed down every ped i can see and then when i do a U turn in a matter of seconds the street is completely full again and they are all walking around like nothing happened even though there are dead bodies on the floor... Realism in this respect needs to improve but I do love all the far fetched stuff as well don't get me wrong! Anyway what do you guys think?

Do you want fast paced random spawning or slower realistic spawning?

Feel free to post theories of how a more realistic system would work as well.

yeah, i always found this wierd, but i never really found it annouying. if it was fixed in gta v then it would be cool but it wouldnt Phase me either way...

edit...

the only annouying spawn thing is if you walk up to a road... look both ways... its empty... you start walking and BOOOOOOOOOOOOM you get thrown 100meters down the road...

Edited by TOWNSENDuk

Completely agree.

In this area, the more realism, the more better. icon14.gif

Also, it seems when i have no car the road somehow becomes empty and it takes a while for a car to appear, and is the worst in missions when you have police or others coming after you. But when your driving, there are cars everywhere.

I don't know if I'm the only one but it annoys me so much how when you are driving and the road is empty in front of you then you press the right stick to look behind then you let go and you see 6 cars randomly in front of you when a second ago it was clear. They need to fix how traffic spawns and make it more realistic

The same goes for cops, you could be in the middle of no where and a cop would just spawn and go to your exact location. They should be dispatched from the local police station so it takes time before they come to you.

Finally peds, so many times i have gone to an area and just mowed down every ped i can see and then when i do a U turn in a matter of seconds the street is completely full again and they are all walking around like nothing happened even though there are dead bodies on the floor... Realism in this respect needs to improve but I do love all the far fetched stuff as well don't get me wrong! Anyway what do you guys think?

Do you want fast paced random spawning or slower realistic spawning?

Feel free to post theories of how a more realistic system would work as well.

Yh mate now your talking R* need to fix that crap in gta iv wen i go fast and no cars in front and I look back for 1 sec and and then after that you will see a car in front of you then I crash complete bullsh*t they need to sort out that comment if you agree

random npc spawning is inevitable for like the next 10 years or so until computing power takes a big leap in what its capable of. even todays most powerful computers wouldn't be able to handle remembering a load of information of every single npc and keep them spawned all across the map, unless you work at NASA or something, perhaps the cop idea could be worked out but even then your pushing it a bit on todays consles, i remember on the trailer theres a guy putting his house up for sale and a guy in a car showing of a car to a random pedestrian stuff like that might work, however hopefully they can add a bit of variety like every single npc being spawned having completely random customization and look or something instead of seeing npc's with the same skins walking around in different clothing

Edited by rickyboy

Grand_Theft_Peanut
random npc spawning is inevitable for like the next 10 years or so until computing power takes a big leap in what its capable of. even todays most powerful computers wouldn't be able to handle remembering a load of information of every single npc and keep them spawned all across the map, unless you work at NASA or something, perhaps the cop idea could be worked out but even then your pushing it a bit on todays consles, i remember on the trailer theres a guy putting his house up for sale and a guy in a car showing of a car to a random pedestrian stuff like that might work, however hopefully they can add a bit of variety like every single npc being spawned having completely random customization and look or something instead of seeing npc's with the same skins walking around in different clothing

I understand, i just think it's stupid when u have already seen and interacted with an NPC then when u take ur view of them and come back to them they have changed into another NPC

Like in vc, I cant lost eye if want to steal a car from a ped if look back the car dissapeared.

There is a kind of draw distance when you look down a the models around dissapear.

Does not bother me. Peds don't matter if they randomly appear just need to reverse if mowing down is your thing. Cars, well like said its more a hardware rather than rockstar being able too fix it. The only complaint here is too many spawns of they same 3, 4 vehicles. A bit more mixture me thinks.

- [- No Fear. No Limits. No Equal. -] -

- [- Ride For Life -] -

Digging deep. It's not just an expression that's thrown around the locker room at halftime. It's a way of life. A daily code that drives a champions existence. It's not always glamorous. It's not always blue skies and sunny days, and its certainly not always welcome. But love it or hate it, to become a true champion take pure, unrestricted commitment.

They don't need to keep track of every ped and car on the map. They just need to have a minimum spawn distance from the player that's more than ten feet. It's the looking behind when the road ahead is clear only to look back forward to a traffic jam, especially when being chased.

iGrandTheftAuto

Yeah I complete agree that drove me crazy, they need to fix these problems and make it more realistic.

user posted image

Actually, with NPCs, the solution is almost trivial, and I have no idea why R* hasn't implemented this yet.

The main reason for the current spawn algorithm is the limited memory. Textures and models have to be loaded for each object that's going to spawn, and then cleaned up as soon as all copies of that object are out of sight. This limits the number of unique models that can be present around the player at any time. That's the reason why the moment you found that super-rare car, everyone's driving one. And that's the reason why there are so many identical twins walking around in the streets.

With cars, you are pretty much stuck, but with NPCs, all it would take is a universal model from which they are all based. Basically, design a character customization system, and whether you use it on protagonist or not, use it on NPCs. There would still be a lot of repetition in clothing combinations, but that's not nearly as big of an issue. Now that each NPC is described by just a few parameters, and all texture and model data is permanently present in memory, you can have persistent NPCs. Maybe not globally persistent, but at least locally so. That way, when you turn around, the same characters are walking in the streets as there were a few moments ago.

This would still require a smarter algorithm for handling pedestrian paths locally. Essentially, you don't want them all to end up gathering close to the player and killing your frame rate. But this is relatively easy to handle, and at any rate, this is no longer a hardware issue.

So with pedestrians, at least, there is a solution. We don't have to wait for better hardware. Just a better engine. With vehicles, there are a few things you can do to reduce this problem. There are ways of having a pseudo-persistent model which will resolve a lot of the issues with minimal hits to performance or traffic density. But that's getting a little technical. At any rate, we'll have to wait for a new engine for any of this. So not in GTAV, but maybe in the nearer future than some people think.

Prior to filing a bug against any of my code, please consider this response to common concerns.

EagleStrike 20

cops should have to come from a patrol route instead of just spawning. If there is no cop near on patrol route they should spawn far enough away that it would take 15-30 seconds to get to the center of the wanted radius.

Of course I will restate the fact that I believe cops should not always be able to know where you are if you're not at the center of the wanted radius. So it would be perfectly possible to have a 3 star wanted level and not be found by cops forever if you hide correctly. You could do this against the cops in multiplayer sometimes but not in singleplayer. Basically this relies on the cops only being able to find you if they see you when they are on alerted patrol (lights and sirens blasting and going above normal speeds) or if the helicopter spots you or a walking cop spots you. The only time the cops should be able to close in on you is if you are in the center of the radius basically. The cops can't just close in on me if im at the edge of the radius and haven't seen me for a long time. They should not be able to make conclusions about where I am without witnessing me.

Grand_Theft_Peanut
cops should have to come from a patrol route instead of just spawning. If there is no cop near on patrol route they should spawn far enough away that it would take 15-30 seconds to get to the center of the wanted radius.

Of course I will restate the fact that I believe cops should not always be able to know where you are if you're not at the center of the wanted radius. So it would be perfectly possible to have a 3 star wanted level and not be found by cops forever if you hide correctly. You could do this against the cops in multiplayer sometimes but not in singleplayer. Basically this relies on the cops only being able to find you if they see you when they are on alerted patrol (lights and sirens blasting and going above normal speeds) or if the helicopter spots you or a walking cop spots you. The only time the cops should be able to close in on you is if you are in the center of the radius basically. The cops can't just close in on me if im at the edge of the radius and haven't seen me for a long time. They should not be able to make conclusions about where I am without witnessing me.

agreed, most people feel this way im sure