Game set in 2008?

boxmonster

In the trailer analysis topic I was speculating if the game was set around 2008 based off the Mile High Club being based of The Ritz-Carlton/Marriott hotel, the construction of that building took place around the same time.

Then the topic of license plates came up, some license plates in America tell you for what year they're good for with stickers and all the cars in GTA V's trailer had those stickers. The stickers are orange and orange ones were last used in California in 2008. So the game is set in 2008 according to them.

user posted image

This could change what to expect from GTA V. Music, historic events, and what the plot may revolve around. I know this still sounds vague but I think it is more interesting than debating stuff we have no control over.

Wouldn't doubt it considering we could see what was going on in Los Santos when IV was happening...like small references to Niko on the new's would be cool.

It will be set in 2012 because it will be in present time, just like GTA IV was in 2008 because it was relased in 2008.

Nice research. I have to admit. Well, only thing I recall about 2008 is the huge worry about gas prices as they was about to hit the worst possible.

fV9tG4b.gif

Interesting, if you think about it, most production probably started around 2008.

Game changing hint???

What were the main economic issues around 2008? Recession?

San Andreas may have different colour plate stickers than California. Good eye for detail but this is the GTA universe afterall. I'm guessing a designer of the vehicles or project manager just liked the way orange stood out.

The world is not significantly different from now and then.. so it doesnt matter.

That's not the point - if this is true it could mean V will take place during the events of IV.

And the official announcement says "present day". Move along, people.

Well, 2008 was only three years ago. Do you feel GTA IV isn't present day?

all this shows is that Rockstar really WAS working on V back in 2008, and that the trailer may be older than we think...

It will be set in 2012 because it will be in present time, just like GTA IV was in 2008 because it was relased in 2008.

San Andreas was set in 2004, and released in 2004, Vice City was set in 2002 and released in 2002, oh wait.....

Someone has pointed out something that may very well be true and your shutting them down on a flawed notion. Present day doesn't mean anything other than modern times. Games take longer to complete than a day, thus even if they decide on a date when production begins it wouldn't be present day (to your standards). He may be wrong, he may be right, but he has more evidence on his side at the moment then thee opposing side.

all this shows is that Rockstar really WAS working on V back in 2008, and that the trailer may be older than we think...

Good point. The trailer may be new but this game has probably been in the works since 2008... even the story line is a bit dated if it's about recession due to the housing crises.

The Nefarious

Nice Find, however I think it's just a mistake on Rockstar's part.

The height of the recession in the US was between 2007 and 2009 (inclusive) so it may still be a possibility but again I doubt it since 2008 is "recent times" and not "present day" which is the time period given by Rockstar.

EDIT: On a side note.. the plate on the Blue Car and the Police Car says October.. possible release month perhaps?? monocle.gif

Edited by Money Over Bullshit

Nice find, but something I still find awkward:

- If GTA IV and GTA V are both set in 2008, how comes there are so many different cars? As far as I know, LC and SA states are part of a "fictional US". Cars shouldn't change that much throughout a year.

Black Sunshine
EDIT: On a side note.. the plate on the Blue Car and the Police Car says October.. possibly release month perhaps?? monocle.gif

Woah, didn't even notice that. I hope not. I want this to come out BEFORE summer.

Nice find, but something I still find awkward:

- If GTA IV and GTA V are both set in 2008, how comes there are so many different cars? As far as I know, LC and SA states are part of a "fictional US". Cars shouldn't change that much throughout a year.

I'm thinking along with other people now that the game will progress over time which could explain the difference in vehicles, more come out over the years as the game progresses perhaps?

The Nefarious
EDIT: On a side note.. the plate on the Blue Car and the Police Car says October.. possibly release month perhaps??  monocle.gif

Woah, didn't even notice that. I hope not. I want this to come out BEFORE summer.

Me too but I doubt it will. October seems likely to me... I'm actually suprised I never noticed the month on the plates myself it was only when my attention was drawn to them that it clicked.

On a side note.. the plate on the Blue Car and the Police Car says October.. possibly release month perhaps??  monocle.gif

This thread suddenly got very depressing. sad.gif

08LasVenturas
And the official announcement says "present day". Move along, people.

Well, 2008 was only three years ago. Do you feel GTA IV isn't present day?

The game won't be released until at least a year, making 2008 4 or 5 years in the past at that point

The Nefarious
On a side note.. the plate on the Blue Car and the Police Car says October.. possibly release month perhaps??  monocle.gif

This thread suddenly got very depressing. sad.gif

Turn that frown upside down my friend.. it'll be October 2012 before you know it.

If the license plates are indeed true to the time period of the game (and Rockstar has a loose definition of "Present Day") then it looks like it's gonna take place alongside the events of GTA IV. We know GTA IV happened in the Autumn and the first real Autumn month is October (since September is considered part of Summer by some) so it seems to fit. But it all really rests on those plates.

San Andreas was set in 2004, and released in 2004, Vice City was set in 2002 and released in 2002, oh wait.....

Someone has pointed out something that may very well be true and your shutting them down on a flawed notion. Present day doesn't mean anything other than modern times. Games take longer to complete than a day, thus even if they decide on a date when production begins it wouldn't be present day (to your standards). He may be wrong, he may be right, but he has more evidence on his side at the moment then thee opposing side.

I meant that Rockstar said that THIS game would be based on present day. They also told us that San Andreas would be based in 1992 and Vice City would be 1986.

A lot of things have changed since 2007 and 2008; in late 2007/early 2008, economy was f*cked up as always, but not in the same fashion as it is right now. Tech has changed a lot too. Other things would be "the same", like cars, as most current models are the same as in 2008, or planes and boats which have been almost the same since the 80's.

In the trailer analysis topic I was speculating if the game was set around 2008 based off the Mile High Club being based of The Ritz-Carlton/Marriott hotel, the construction of that building took place around the same time.

Then the topic of license plates came up, some license plates in America tell you for what year they're good for with stickers and all the cars in GTA V's trailer had those stickers. The stickers are orange and orange ones were last used in California in 2008. So the game is set in 2008 according to them.

user posted image

This could change what to expect from GTA V. Music, historic events, and what the plot may revolve around. I know this still sounds vague but I think it is more interesting than debating stuff we have no control over.

whats your point? Might not be as bright of an orange (more of a red as stated in your link) , but could just be bad lighting

user posted image

Edited by kb8618

The only thing special about 2008, is that, that’s when the whole financial crisis thing started. It dose seem like the bad economy will play a role judging buy the foreclosure sign in the trailer, and the statement made my Rockstar.

But the recession is still going, the only reason to set it in ’08 would be to have something happen that happens with the start of the economy collapsing.

Though I belive Rockstar said it was present day, while '08 can be considered present day as nothing much has changed I think V is going to be set in 2011/2012. Still TC kudos for finding this, I guess we'll find out.

Nice find, I don't know about the 2008 thing though because R*N is based in Scotland so im not sure they are fully familiar with how American numberplates work and are just going on what they saw when the scouted LA probably back in 08.

Little William
Nice find, I don't know about the 2008 thing though because R*N is based in Scotland so im not sure they are fully familiar with how American numberplates work and are just going on what they saw when the scouted LA probably back in 08.

I think this is the reason why they use the orange stickers on the cars. It was based on the time (2008) where they scouted LA for GTA V. Because the devs/scouts in R*N don't know those stickers changes colour every year, so they just remain to use the orange colour. But I think when V is about to be released, they could rectify that mistake.

GTA V sucks! Buy Watch Dogs instead!

I think yous are looking to deep. Would it actually make any difference while playing the game at all? Stealing cars, crashing, shooting, regardless 08 or 12

- [- No Fear. No Limits. No Equal. -] -

- [- Ride For Life -] -

Digging deep. It's not just an expression that's thrown around the locker room at halftime. It's a way of life. A daily code that drives a champions existence. It's not always glamorous. It's not always blue skies and sunny days, and its certainly not always welcome. But love it or hate it, to become a true champion take pure, unrestricted commitment.