GTA Release Date

Richy1985

Hi,

It is stated that GTA was released in October of 1997. Does anyone happen to know when in October this was?

Thanks, but it's all in another language. Can you translate the contents of the page in the link into English?

The actual release date of Grand Theft Auto is not clear. While Rockstar Games asserts in /classics/gta.html its official website that the game was released in October 1997, GameSpot and IGN indicated that the game was only released on February or March 1998, respectively.

A translation of Sektor's link which is more credible than Wikipedia.

http://web.archive.org/web/19981206062642/...om/november.htm

And in Denmark, Lars sent me the info on where he got his copy of GTA from:     

"I ordered it from "autosonic" a local computer firm here in Denmark.  I ordered it about a month ago and got it yesterday (28/11-97) and I paid 399.- DKK for it (80 $).  , but I don't think they will send it to the US."  

Thanks Lars! 

It seems November 1997 is the earliest anyone got their hands on it.

Edited by Sektor

• 3 years later...

Can't confirm the exact date, but I know that it was released on PC in late 1997. I was playing it in December - I had it for Christmas that year. Lots of people seem to forget that this game came out for PC as well as the original Playstation.

Sorry I can't be more help than that ;)