The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

flitcroft101

user posted image

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Release date - 21.11.2011

Based on the novel by Swedish Stieg Larrson, Journalist Mikael Blomkvist (Daniel Craig) is aided in his search for a woman who has been missing for forty years by Lisbeth Salander (Rooney Mara), a young computer hacker.

Rooney Mara as Lisbeth Salander

Daniel Craig as Mikael Blomkvist

Christopher Plummer as Henrik Vangar

Stellan Skarsgård as Martin Vangar

Robin Wright as Erika Berger

Yorick van Wageningen as Advokat Nils Bjurman

Directed by David Fincher (Seven, Fight Club, The Social Network, Zodiac)

Written by Stieg Larrson (Author) Steven Zaillian (Screenplay)

Soundtrack by Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross

If you're gonna discuss spoilers/the book please do so with spoiler tags and try to add a warning before hand, thank you very much

So anybody looking forward to this? I can't wait. I read all 3 books and they're absolutely class, a true modern masterpiece. It's a shame what happened to Larrson because he was definitely one of the most talented writers in a long long time. Lisbeth Salander is such a unique and brilliant character and the series is phenomenal. If you haven't read the books I would advise you to pick them up ASAP icon14.gif

Read the first book, watched the original adaptation of the film, Fincher is probably my favourite Director right now so yes, I'm really looking forward to it. Love that teaser trailer too.

Need to get around to seeing what all the fuss is about with this, Led Zeppelin remix on the trailer was quite nice .

7cg1vNw.png

Not read the book on this, but I've seen the original film looking forward to seeing Fincher's version of it.

I'll tell you what the second and third book are absolutely stunning. The first book is just like an intro tbh and it's still great.

The Swedish version is nothing short of awesome. Can't wait to see this one.

o6ifrl.png
Dreaming of California, where the sun never sets.

I've heard good things about both the books and the film. Both are definitely on my media to-do list. I have seen the poster though, and I notice the image at the very top of the topic has been strategically cropped sigh.gif .

Rooney Mara seems pretty committed to the role though, the transformation from this:

user posted image

(The Social Network)

To this:

user posted imageuser posted image

is pretty striking.

Edited by Robinski
user posted image

Google and you'll find the uncropped version tounge.gif and yeah it's quite a change. I hope she can pull Lisbeth off... that definitely wont be an easy job. The Swedish actor did a great job though icon14.gif

watched all three Swedish movies and absolutely loved it. I'll be watching this opening day for sure. Looks like Rooney sure is taking on Lisbeth well.

that and I love Daniel Craig

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo has become one of my most favorite movie and really this movie has inspired me a lot and i enjoy its cast and the film was made on a good subject and the story was brilliant and excellent i enjoy it a lot

Wow I had no idea that was the girl from The Social Network. I have been told by numerous people that the books are fantastic and that I should read them. Is this movie of the first book in the series? If anyone has seen the movie, should I read the book first? Fincher usually does a bad ass job adapting books to film. I'm psyched. Also Daniel Craig is the f*cking man.

usZpdN9.png

There's quite a few important things missing from the first book in the swedish movie and I imagine it will be the same with this one. It's not the end of the world but it does effect what happens going into book 2 & 3. Also the swedish movie has a major spoiler from book 3 which is kinda annoying, I would definitely recommend reading the books first. Stieg Larrson builds so many awesome characters that it's almost impossible to put the books down anyway when you begin icon14.gif

To answer your question... yup the film is the first book. The film mainly focuses around the Vangar family though whilst the book has alot more.

• 3 weeks later...

Can't understand the need for an English remake for what were brilliant Swedish films. They even went and cast the guy who I thought looked like he should play the role of Mikael in any hypothetical Hollywood remake when I saw the first Swedish film. Haggard face Daniel Craig could be Nyqvist's brother. Ish.

I thought Michael Nyqvist and Noomi Rapace were flawless in the Swedish films. Brought real emotion and brilliance to a role I had to read along with.

Never read the books, they looked to weighty for a series I only had a passing interest in. My opinions are based purely on how much I enjoyed the Swedish films. Having only recently getting round to watching Hornet's Nest and thoroughly enjoying that, it annoys me seeing this movie smother the legacy of the Swedish film.

user posted image

jamesstolen08

I have watched this movie trailer in youtube. I like it very much. Definitely i am going to watch this movie. "Daniel Craig" is also my favorite actor. I have watched all the movies of this actor. He create fantastic role in all James Bond movies.

I know I've already posted similar pics to this, but I'm still loving Mara's transformation into Lisbeth. Apparently she got something like 7 piercings just for the film. "I was in that character for over a year. If you're going to do it, you have to do it."

Before and After:

user posted imageuser posted image

Anyway, really stoked for this. Some of my family said they might go see it on Boxing Day (release day, I think) so I'll probably tag along. My mam's a bit apprehensive though, she says she really wants to see it, but also knows there's some quite horrendous sexual violence in the book. It being an 18 cert and warning of said violence in the disclaimer on the TV ad doesn't help. To be honest though, I'd rather they not just gloss over it if it's integral to the plot (which I gather it is)

user posted image

They certainly didn't gloss over it in the Swedish version. You'd think Hollywood would tone it down a bit but if anyone's going to be equally as graphic I think Fincher is the man.

user posted image

They certainly didn't gloss over it in the Swedish version.

Welp. Guess who's getting the Swedish trilogy for Christmas?

user posted image

Saw it, loved it. That scene with Orinoco Flow playing in the background was just haunting, though. All I think about when I hear that song now is Daniel Craig being suffocated with a plastic bag.

7FTgFLB.png

Fincher has done a brilliant job of bringing Larsson's somewhat secular universe to life, he just has a way of cultivating beautiful shots from nowhere, and while I wasn't particularly fond of the extended epilogue or Daniel Craig's portrayal of a 'nice guy' Blomkvist, he allowed the narrative to flow so effortlessly that I didn't even realise that the running time topped two hours and forty minutes.

Took me a while to see this but it was was superb. I liked it more than the Swedish version and Rooney really hit it well as Lisbeth.

Edited by Blackout?