social satire

zippo55312

Ive never particularly enjoyed GTA's social criticism. It seems like they just take the obvious shots in a completely non clever and unoriginal (and also wayyyyyyy too blatant) way. Apparently most of their social satire is left up to lazlow, who is clearly just not that funny. Anyway I think it would be cool if for gta 5 maybe they hired some professional writers- maybe some writers that work for "The Onion"? I doubt they would waste money on that, but I think it would be pretty cool if they did.

Sure why not, but it's kind of pointless.

nah well I mean, satire is clearly a pretty big thing for them- rockstar has stated that the reason they won't consider a non US setting is because then they wouldn't be able to satire US culture.

So why not get some writers who actually know what they are doing? Instead of a jaded unfunny radio jockey...

I kinda like the blunt stabs at social life they take but that's just me. And yeah I like Lazlow's humor so odds are that's why I like it.

nah well I mean, satire is clearly a pretty big thing for them- rockstar has stated that the reason they won't consider a non US setting is because then they wouldn't be able to satire US culture.

So why not get some writers who actually know what they are doing? Instead of a jaded unfunny radio jockey...

I guess so.

I kinda like the blunt stabs at social life they take but that's just me. And yeah I like Lazlow's humor so odds are that's why I like it.

This. I think the Houser brothers do a good job at storytelling and I love Lazlow. He needs his own station instead of just a show.

grope_4_that_date

Great topic! icon14.gif I totally agree.

If you're talking about the radio satire in EFLC, then yeah, I'd agree. It's really awful in there.

But to be humble, I found IV's satire pretty funny.

Satire usually works best when its something that is recognizable. Whats more recognizable than american culture? As for the writing. I've never heard anyone complain about that in a GTA game before, so I guess it is a personal opinion.

Needs more fart jokes and burping.

But seriously I've always enjoyed the parades and satires. Very much. I even liked GTA4 TV. icon14.gif

It never ceases to amaze me at just how nit picky people become. This forum is a constant reminder that no matter how good a product is, they will ALWAYS find a way to complain. Now it's about the satire not meeting expectations?

GTA's satire is hilarious and GTA without Lazlow wouldn't be the same, love him. The Onion isn't all that funny and most people I've come across who like it are college kids who think it somehow makes them smarter for liking it.

Let me guess you're doing a philosophy degree, like mostly foreign films and listen to avant garde music.

I jest, I jest. But seriously GTA's satire is freaking fine and one of the things that makes it stand out from the rest of the pack.

While I thing GTA IV "satire" dropped the balls a little, not being as agressive as it was in previous games... I still crack up with the "Radio News" satire thingy.

But my favorite satire was GTA: Vice City... they were very agressive there.

GTA's satire is hilarious and GTA without Lazlow wouldn't be the same, love him. The Onion isn't all that funny and most people I've come across who like it are college kids who think it somehow makes them smarter for liking it.

Let me guess you're doing a philosophy degree, like mostly foreign films and listen to avant garde music.

I jest, I jest. But seriously GTA's satire is freaking fine and one of the things that makes it stand out from the rest of the pack.

This. I love your avatar and your reference to philosophy. Don't give up on free thought though. I know you won't you play GTA.

Rockstar hiring "professional" writers?

Rockstar titles have some of the best writing, if not the best writing in the gaming industry.

It never ceases to amaze me at just how nit picky people become. This forum is a constant reminder that no matter how good a product is, they will ALWAYS find a way to complain. Now it's about the satire not meeting expectations?

Im not being nitpicky. Its not that the satire didn't quite meet expectations, its that it outright annoyed me. the jokes they made were so damn lame and predictable.

Look I don't really care if they don't step up the satire in gta 5 (Which they wont)- even though I hated their attempt at satire in '4, it didn't prevent me from enjoying the game.

But Im just saying if satire is sooooo important to rockstar, which it is, then why not actually give us some that is worthwhile?

Im not being nitpicky. Its not that the satire didn't quite meet expectations, its that it outright annoyed me. the jokes they made were so damn lame and predictable.

Look I don't really care if they don't step up the satire in gta 5 (Which they wont)- even though I hated their attempt at satire in '4, it didn't prevent me from enjoying the game.

But Im just saying if satire is sooooo important to rockstar, which it is, then why not actually give us some that is worthwhile?

What do you expect?

What do you expect?

I don't expect sh*t. I know that they are just going to have Lazlow do the satire again like always. And Im fine with that. But Im just saying in a perfect world, r* would hire some funny people to sharpen their satire up abit, and I would very much enjoy that- a game that is super fun and also hilarious.

What do you expect?

I don't expect sh*t. I know that they are just going to have Lazlow do the satire again like always. And Im fine with that. But Im just saying in a perfect world, r* would hire some funny people to sharpen their satire up abit, and I would very much enjoy that- a game that is super fun and also hilarious.

Lazlow was not the only satirical aspect to IV. The whole radio, t.v., billboards, and pedestrian small talk and dialogue, car names, ect. were all satire. That will return in V.

Yeah I mean Im not one of those people whos with the onion 100%. They write aton of unfunny articles, thats for sure. But no one can deny every once in a while the onion can be hysterical. Like dis: http://www.theonion.com/articles/im-like-a...or-booze,10739/

haha nah I could care less about philosophy, I find most foreign films pretentious (although I did like 400 blows), I am kind of a hipster when it comes to music- you got me there (although I dont listen to avant garde).

Anyway yeah the onion isnt super hilarious or anything but it would def be sooooo much better then lazlow. Dude needs to shut the f*ck up. really. In the end I could care less, but it would just be a nice little something if gta 5 was actually funny, thats all Im saying.

What do you expect?

Lazlow was not the only satirical aspect to IV. The whole radio, t.v., billboards, and pedestrian small talk and dialogue, car names, ect. were all satire. That will return in V.

Yeah lazlow writes all the satire though. radio, billboards internet- all that stuff is lazlow.

What do you expect?

Yeah lazlow writes all the satire though. radio, billboards internet- all that stuff is lazlow.

Dude, who cares who writes it? It is humorous. I think you are overly critical about the satire in GTA. Almost nobody complains about it. Why? Because most people like it. Maybe it isn't Lazlow. Maybe its you.

I think Rockstar should make fun about the new "era" of gaming, like everyone who play on their cellphone or on their tablet computer.

They should make a parody about Angry Birds, like a mini-game where you destroy cities with flying rats...

"Dude, who cares who writes it? It is humorous. I think you are overly critical about the satire in GTA. Almost nobody complains about it. Why? Because most people like it. Maybe it isn't Lazlow. Maybe its you."

Most people like it because most people who play gta are 9 and anything that includes swearing is hilarious to them.

if ur a grown ass nigga and you think gta humor is anything but annoying suicidal.gif .

just kidding. Yeah some people (other then the kids who play it) enjoy the satire, thats cool. There are also a ton of people that don't though. I know that because, I don't f*ck with it, and my friends don't either- Ive got to assume that me and my friends aren't the only ones who feel this way.

"Dude, who cares who writes it? It is humorous. I think you are overly critical about the satire in GTA. Almost nobody complains about it. Why? Because most people like it. Maybe it isn't Lazlow. Maybe its you."

Most people like it because most people who play gta are 9 and anything that includes swearing is hilarious to them.

if ur a grown ass nigga and you think gta humor is anything but annoying  suicidal.gif .

just kidding. Yeah some people (other then the kids who play it) enjoy the satire, thats cool. There are also a ton of people that don't though. I know that because, I don't f*ck with it, and my friends don't either- Ive got to assume that me and my friends aren't the only ones who feel this way.

Wow. confused.gif I'm surprised you can type. Good for you! colgate.gif

if ur a grown ass nigga and you think gta humor is anything but annoying  suicidal.gif .

Yeah I don't see why you had to throw that retarded attempt at an insult my way.

Yeah I don't see why you had to throw that retarded attempt at an insult my way.

It was more like an attempt to call you a retard without saying it. Damn your stupid.

It was more like an attempt to call you a retard without saying it. Damn your stupid.

"It was more like an attempt to call you a retard without saying it". Yeah- an insult.

Anyway your clearly not very socially intelligent based on that insult you just threw my way. Any socially intelligent person would at least try something more creative then a very basic form of sarcasm- what you just threw at me is the kind of insult a nerdy middle schooler would use.

But I digress. Anyway why did you even have to come at me? because I used the word "nigga"? Sorry I listen to alot of Wu Tang Clan...