Analysis of GTA V's graphics

Miss Darko

Now that you mention it, you're right, it does have a huge graphical improvement over GTA IV. In Liberty City it looks dull everywhere, and you can 't really feel the "liveliness" of the city like Dan Houser described. As for the GTA V trailer, the two scenes that really fascinates me were the beach scene (Santa Monica beach?) and the one with the wind wind turbines. Hell, with that level of detail and color, I could've sworn they came from a real life shot, or one from a big-ticket film, if I wasn't watching a GTA V trailer.

That said, I really must start saving up for some PC ugrades. confused.gif

Now that you mention it, you're right, it does have a huge graphical improvement over GTA IV. In Liberty City it looks dull everywhere, and you can 't really feel the "liveliness" of the city like Dan Houser described. As for the GTA V trailer, the two scenes that really fascinates me were the beach scene (Santa Monica beach?) and the one with the wind wind turbines. Hell, with that level of detail and color, I could've sworn they came from a real life shot, or one from a big-ticket film, if I wasn't watching a GTA V trailer.

That said, I really must start saving up for some PC ugrades. confused.gif

B-but Dan Housers never lies in his interviews! They would never lie to us!!! Dont you see! Dont you SEE THE LVIING BREATHINGNESS?!? ITS JUST LIKE A REAL CITY!! LOOK AT IT *smushes your face to the tv screen to watch a ped do a stale looped animation of pushing a brush* JUST LIKE REAL LIFE!

GET OVER 1 BILLION IN GTA ONLINE WITH THIS GLITCH

Join the best of the best. Join the Republic of Zee.http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/member/zeegtaforums

Add me on Xbox: ZeeGTAForums and PS3: mtkgta420

The Continuing Adventures of Zeehttp://www.youtube.com/ZeeGTAForums

http://www.twitch.tv/zeegtaf

Deji is a coward.

Snake Without a Tongue

I honestly don't think GTA IV's graphics changed all that much from the trailers to the gameplay.

I wish we could settle this once and for all. Can anyone bring any pre-game images that don't match up with the finished game?

I honestly don't think GTA IV's graphics changed all that much from the trailers to the gameplay.

I wish we could settle this once and for all. Can anyone bring any pre-game images that don't match up with the finished game?

But it wasn't much of a change, V definitely won't have crysis graphics when released, just a minor changes maybe.

I honestly wish the graphics weren't as good as they seem to be, because of Rockstar's despicable optimization.

I honestly wish the graphics weren't as good as they seem to be, because of Rockstar's despicable optimization.

suicidal.gif What?

suicidal.gif What?

a game that has great graphics but is badly optimized = terrible experience.

PC players i believe suffered from Rockstars optimization on GTA IV. i think he is trying to say hed rather the game run smoothly as possible with great consistant FPS, then have nice graphics and perform badly.

I fully agree - FULLY - the framerate of the consoles regularly dipped into the teens - fcking unacceptable. The masses didnt complain because there about as discerning as a

hobo, they'l lap anything up. Try a 3 star chase in Algonquin or during a mission and enjoy the slideshow. The one way around this is too play multiplayer with no traffic which helps performance a great deal. Not an ideal solution though !

Optimize this fcker R* , put some effort in and lets have the framerate sticking to a steady 30 without the microstutters mkay ?

• 2 weeks later...

I like the way Avalanche studio approached in the creation of clouds and fog in the world of Just Cause 2. I still don't have an idea about how artists make the sky and clouds in 3D video games, neither how they handle the physics of them, if applied, but after watching some Just Cause 2 video on Youtube, and playing the demo on PS3, I have been stunned by the visual depth of the game when you look from the distance. The clouds move dynamically to form different patterns in the sky, have different layers, go down from the sky and cover mountains in the distance. In RDR, while clouds have different layers, they actually don't move dynamically, and have a few patterns that alternate based on the weather (stormy, rainy, clear). They look painted compared to what Just Cause 2 has.

Example from Just Cause 2:

Clear sky:

Fog coming slowly from the distance to cover a whole city: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfOZZwDm3gI

Stormy sky:

This one also:

Although I can't stand the rest of the aspects in the game, from the story, dialogues, gunplay and animations, I'm thinking to get it just to have a nice exploration in its beautiful world. And for this, I would like to see GTA V expands on the visual care of the sky, the clouds, and how the fog forms and move dynamically in the distance, not suddenly forms from nowhere like in the previous GTAs.

GrandTheftAuto101

That said, I really must start saving up for some PC ugrades.  confused.gif

B-but Dan Housers never lies in his interviews! They would never lie to us!!! Dont you see! Dont you SEE THE LVIING BREATHINGNESS?!? ITS JUST LIKE A REAL CITY!! LOOK AT IT *smushes your face to the tv screen to watch a ped do a stale looped animation of pushing a brush* JUST LIKE REAL LIFE!

That was honestly one of the gayest things I have ever read.

That said, I really must start saving up for some PC ugrades.  confused.gif

LOL!

I think this guy must solicitate for a comedian stand-up.

Imagine he's making fun of R* and Dan Houser with his bald head.

G1T

I like the way Avalanche studio approached in the creation of clouds and fog in the world of Just Cause 2. I still don't have an idea about how artists make the sky and clouds in 3D video games, neither how they handle the physics of them, if applied, but after watching some Just Cause 2 video on Youtube, and playing the demo on PS3, I have been stunned by the visual depth of the game when you look from the distance. The clouds move dynamically to form different patterns in the sky, have different layers, go down from the sky and cover mountains in the distance. In RDR, while clouds have different layers, they actually don't move dynamically, and have a few patterns that alternate based on the weather (stormy, rainy, clear). They look painted compared to what Just Cause 2 has.

Example from Just Cause 2:

Clear sky:

Fog coming slowly from the distance to cover a whole city: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfOZZwDm3gI

Stormy sky:

This one also:

Although I can't stand the rest of the aspects in the game, from the story, dialogues, gunplay and animations, I'm thinking to get it just to have a nice exploration in its beautiful world. And for this, I would like to see GTA V expands on the visual care of the sky, the clouds, and how the fog forms and move dynamically in the distance, not suddenly forms from nowhere like in the previous GTAs.

i must admit dude, jc2 has imo the best graphics for a sandbox game considering what u can do and the sheer size of this beautiful panau (400 square miles). the only thing thats keeping this game from being perfect is melee combat (poor), the character models aren't too good either, and although the missions can be wild and crazy (stopping missiles reaching there destination by jumping from one to another in mid air by the way) for some reason the structure of them feels weird like sort of messy but just from these few flaws when i jump out a huge arabian type plane and start surfing it down through the perfectly cut clouds jump off suddenly hear the wind blow past my ears open my parachute and decend slowly watching the gta 5 like mountain covered in snow while glancing down at the tropical beach, which btw this game also has great water, then i undo the parachute nd dolphin dive into the ocean! the driving in this game is good too. sorry back on topic i think from the trailer the graphics have improved greatly in terms of detail and colour i just hope for my ps3s sake they keep it that way.

i LOVED the map in just cause 2. It just sucks the rest of the game feels so wonky and the shooting is really bad, and the jets and helicopters are too slow.

Join the best of the best. Join the Republic of Zee.http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/member/zeegtaforums

Deji is a coward.

i LOVED the map in just cause 2. It just sucks the rest of the game feels so wonky and the shooting is really bad, and the jets and helicopters are too slow.

I still haven't discovered all of JC2's map, because it's sooooo boring to explore IMO.

I love exploring the map in JC2, its my favorite part. There are a million different easter eggs. They even recreated the island from Lost! i dont think there are any easter eggs on the mainland in gtaiv besides the satue of happiness heart.

Deji is a coward.

I still haven't discovered all of JC2's map, because it's sooooo boring to explore IMO.

wow.gif how dare u! ur probably just bored cuz the map is huge, but when theres nothing left to do u should try getting 100 percent trust me its hard, i got to about 33% which took days had an argument with the mrs so she deleted my save..................i think if she were a man i wouldve seriously.........and zee i dont think the aircraft is slow, its because the higher u go the slower because again the map is so big and u cover a lot less ground so high up its just clouds. what u should do is get the fighter jet and fly as low as u can to the ground or even the sea, i guarantee it feels fast and nerve racking

I think the behaviour between computer animated objects are not scripted. It's not impossible to give 2 computer animated object a random interaction.

Take for example the girl (a) and the guy in the red car (b):

"a" is given a good look by the developers, give "a" a trigger so when other objects come close they will give a positive responds. In the trailer "b" gives a positive responds by using the horn and use the gaspeddle. when he walkes he will wissle or say something positive. Object "a" will give a random response back, she lookes at "b" and walkes on.

Give all these computer animated pedestrians these triggers and you will get al kind of reactions like the drugsdealer offering drugs when someone gets close, the other pedestrians randomly buy or refuse drugs.

For the joggers it goes a step further. The 2 jogging girls are connected to eachother, their jogging next to eachother at the same speed, just like a couple when they walk hand in hand. The jogging guy has a trigger on him that gives other pedestrians positive reactions. The positive reaction is that the short haired girl lookes at the guy and then talkes to the girl next to her about the guy in a flirty way. You can see the two jogging girls like one computer animated object reacting to one trigger.

The pedestrians in the gta3 allready had triggers. They walked up to eachother and began to talk randomly. R* really focussed on this and this is the result.

Expect a living city you never saw before.

Most of the scenes such as the joggers, red car and the hood etc look like cutscenes to me.

They're definitely just cutscenes. In various shots form the trailer, you can spot regular pedestrians having the same robotic walking animations as we used to see in GTA IV. See the intro cutscene of L.A.Noire to see how realistically pedestrians behave and walk, but when you take the control of Cole Phelps, they turn into robots. It's just a group of mo-capped animations alternate each other per frame. The current hardware doesn't have enough power to process unique animations for tens of pedestrains at one time for a crowded open-world game such as GTA, so don't make your expectations high because there won't be a major difference between GTA V and IV when it comes to the behavior of pedestrians.

Most of the scenes such as the joggers, red car and the hood etc look like cutscenes to me.

They're definitely just cutscenes. In various shots form the trailer, you can spot regular pedestrians having the same robotic walking animations as we used to see in GTA IV. See the intro cutscene of L.A.Noire to see how realistically pedestrians behave and walk, but when you take the control of Cole Phelps, they turn into robots. It's just a group of mo-capped animations alternate each other per frame. The current hardware doesn't have enough power to process unique animations for tens of pedestrains at one time for a crowded open-world game such as GTA, so don't make your expectations high because there won't be a major difference between GTA V and IV when it comes to the behavior of pedestrians.

What if its not cutscenes? What if it's the real thing?

Well I'm gonna say it'll gonna be great.

About the robotic walking,at the part of the trailer where it says "Rockstar Games Presents",look at the lower left of the video where there is a side walk. Someone is walking there. It doesn't look like a cutscene to me because the cars' AI is f*cked up.

Another thing,RDR pedestrians don't look robotic to me. Maybe they will adapt whatever technology they did there for GTA V?

They are cutscenes. Even in RDR, in normal conditions (a non-drunk pedestrian), all male peds have the same walking animation, and the same thing is for female peds. To make the world more alive, Rockstar did a lot mo-cap for each pedestrian model. They almost gave each model a unique name, with a unique set of mo-capped animations that are repeated each day (i.e., the same ped model working at Armadillo train station, the same model for the piano player at Armadillo Saloon... and so on).

They could pull off such a thing easily because the world is much less consuming of the processing power compared to that of GTA, and even with this fact, you still have the frame-rate dropping noticeably when entering a town filled with different ped models, and when you keep observing a certain ped for the curiosity of seeing his life cycle, when his animations alternate, it takes a few seconds to happen, because the code for his set of animations is being executed in the background, and surprisingly, it takes a considerable amount of CPU power to apply changes to the animations of that model.

Now, pulling such a thing to the same extent in a GTA world, on the current hardware, would be impossible without sacrificing a lot of other aspects. It's sure that we will get more behaviors for peds in GTA V, but will not reach to the extent of some of the animations in the trailer. And for that guy walking on the sidewalk in the beginning of the trailer, its' normal, any GTA IV ped can do that!

Edited by FiS!!HeR

Now, pulling such a thing to the same extent in a GTA world, on the current hardware, would be impossible without sacrificing a lot of other aspects. It's sure that we will get more behaviors for peds in GTA V, but will not reach to the extent of some of the animations in the trailer. And for that guy walking on the sidewalk in the beginning of the trailer, its' normal, any GTA IV ped can do that!

True...But,at least it's much smoother than in IV. In IV I got Framerate problem(maybe only for me. I play it on PS3 and they say its framerate looks like 24 FPS or something).

They are cutscenes.

Cutscenes generally have dialogue or action that moves the story along and only the robbery scene looks like it has a purpose. I believe none of the trailer is cutscenes except for the robbery and possibly the pursuit of the black guy wearing the wifebeater. Scenes of the protagonist driving and being chased by police were played by the capture team and the rest is the capture team moving the camera around the world lookin for peds doing interesting things. The GTA V trailer is showing off the quality of ped behavior. That's what we're supposed to be impressed by!

Proof? Go back and look at GTA IV trailers and see how many shots turned out to not be cutscenes in the game. Trailers are mostly gameplay except Rockstar can reposition the camera just like anyone using the video editor in the PC version of GTA IV.

I don't remember any impressive pedestrian behaviors shown in any of GTA IV trailers except the first trailer which showed some men carrying wood at the dock, but in the final game, that behavior wasn't present. Even most of the footage in GTA IV trailers from the second one to the last one, was captured from cutscenes, some with dialogues and others with no dialogues.

Footage in GTA V trailer, such as the black man being chased by cops on foot, jogging females, hikers, and a few others are all clearly from cutscenes, or were captured for the purpose of the trailer only, it could even be a part of an intro of some form. As I said, Rockstar took RDR to a similar step, and although the game is so much less consuming of hardware power, frame-rate dropping and lagging are present from time to time especially when a considerable number of pedestrian models are being rendered in one screen.

Even when models are alternating their behavior based on the mo-capped set of animations, it takes a few seconds to alternate. I observed one pedestrian model at Armadillo to see how he behaves, and at one time, he kept walking toward a wall, and when he reached to it, he stopped for a few seconds, and then, he leaned on the wall. The real time calculations for the transition from a state of animation to another took a noticeable amount of seconds. I even could hear the disc inside the BD driver releasing some noise, and this always happens when focusing the camera on a certain pedestrian; the lens is reading too much data.

Looking at GTA V trailer, and taking the two jogging women as an example, the transition of their animations was very smooth for it to be a real time animation. Each one had almost all of her body parts moving smoothly and differently, so how many frames are their animations composed of? it's not even comparable to that guy I followed in RDR, and yet the transition is far more smoother. You can still see the regular stiff animations in various shots during V trailer, but there's no chance that these arguable animations could be processed in real time on a PS3 or Xbox 360 for a crowded open-world game.

Edited by FiS!!HeR

Triple Vacuum Seal

I hope to god that this animation quality is included in GTAV given that R* likes to use elements from their other 3rd person shooters.