Nice CPU / GCard - Low FPS / Stuttering

HeaveNHavoC

Hi guys. I know this forum and the net has been spammed over this matter.

But the fact i'm posting is i don't understand why i'm getting this problems even with my rig.

Specs:

i7 920 D0 @ 4.0Ghz

ASUS HD DC2 6970

DDR3 6GB @ 1600Mhz

HDD 1TB WD Black

I try running EVERYTHING maxed out and get low fps (20 - 30 most of the time. )

The problem is if i lower anything i still get the stuttering and the fps doesn't seem to go any better. I've tried searching for fixes etc but nothing has helped so far.

The problem here seems not to be the RAM, CPU or Vram

I can run EVERY game out there maxed out with AA. Not this one o.O

Any suggestions?

friendly luggage

What's your operating system? If it's 32-bit you're wasting some ram and you'll have problems with resource management which will kill performance. Also what patch are you on? If you got the steam version it will patched to 1.0.7.0 which is the latest. Try turning the sliders down to 50 and you won't see an awful lot of difference. Maybe the shadows are set too high? GTA IV has never been friendly with ATI cards.

Edited by illegal_luggage

It's nearly impossible to max out this game and get descent framerate. Lower your shadows to 'high' and set your sliders to 50. If the stuttering persists there are a few tricks involving commandlines that should fix it nicely, but first give those settings a try. good luck!

Lower the sliders to around 30 or less, you don't notice such a big difference.

This game is just amazingly resource intensive, even you are probably unable to max it out with your extreme rig wink.gif

Also, if you got mods installed, you can try removing them or lower the settings a bit more (especially if you've got ENB).

Besides that, you can Google 'GTA 4 commandline' and see if it helps.

It surely did help for me.

Oh, if you want the best performance, remove IV and reinstall it and use patch 1.0.4.0. It's the best one performance-wise.

What's your operating system? If it's 32-bit you're wasting some ram and you'll have problems with resource management which will kill performance. Also what patch are you on? If you got the steam version it will patched to 1.0.7.0 which is the latest. Try turning the sliders down to 50 and you won't see an awful lot of difference. Maybe the shadows are set too high? GTA IV has never been friendly with ATI cards.

Operating System is Win 7 x64 Ultimate (with some tweaks).

The system is fully optimized for gaming, MB is a Rampage 3 Xtrm, HDD is actually 1TB RAID0 WD Black.

(Also for those wondering since i've not put it in there. it is not a bottleneck issue of some kind. PSU is 900W everything with it's own channel.)

-------

Yeah it is steam version. Any hints on how to downgrade? or do i really need to reinstall?

-------

I'm using no mods. I've installed this since i got this rig. My old one (when i bought the game) couldn't run it any higher than lowest spec lol

I've noticed some HUGE fps spikes during night. When i'm in a place with no traffic lights etc. i get 200 FPS. when i have too much lighting it drops to 20 - 30 again. After noticing that i've done some research and yeah.. Seems like this engine really doesn't like ATIs because of the lighting system it uses. Anyway i don't really see how that could drop my fps so low confused.gif

I've tried some commandline fixed but didn't help much, since i've got no problems with memrestrict blabla.

Thanks guys appreciate the feedback. The way i play it is ok. I get beautiful graphics (although not the best out there) and 30 FPS really doesn't make that much difference. I was just wondering why it was this low. The stuttering can be annoying sometimes but i guess i must stick with it.

Anything else you guys might have to help will be appreciated.

Regards, HeaveN

It's not really a matter of ATI cards. Sure, the game seems to prefer nvidia (and just by a little bit on my experience), but if you replaced your 6970 by a GTX580 I can assure you still wouldn't be able to max it out.

Also, disable night shadows.