More Destructable Surfaces?

Alexhero12

Want more destructable surfaces?  

278 members have voted

1. 1. Want more destructable surfaces?

• Yes! What a better way to take out my anger on humanity then a video game apocalypse!
    • Sure! More destruction the better, i guess!
    • Don't care much about the destruction engine..
    • No! Last thing i want is a plane crashing into a building and rubble crushing my body!
    • HELL NO! This is the worst idea ever on the fourms and the creator of this topic should go to HELL!

If you think about it, the only things that you can destroy in Grand Thefft Auto is vehicles, fences, And SOME Windows.

Would you want a total destruction engine were you can crash into a building with a jet and jump out of the plane before it hits and land on the ground not knowing 500 tons of burning steel, stone, and glass was plummeting downwards? or would you like the generic

hit-the-wall-with-an-RPG-and-toss-some-gernades-at-it-and-the-wall-still-stands Engine?

of course i would love more destructible environment but it takes way to much time to develop and takes up more space on the disc so its beyond unlikely, maybe in ten years

I agree. If they made that then the city would be a lot smaller.

Not going to happen. Too much develpoment and resources. Although you can argue that R* have those resources, it would have to be in development longer than 3-4 years. Wait for next gen to get this. Battefiled was a different type of game entirely; it is war-oriented; GTA is not. Destructible environments always fit in a war game. Not necessarily in GTA. I would like to see more destructible objects though, like fences, lightposts, small trees, trash cans, sheds, huts, security booths, etc.

Basically, more props!

While it may be unrealistic to implement a fully destructible environment in a game of this magnitude, it might be possible to have certain AREAS that ARE more destructible than others. For example, having the INTERIOR of a mall destructible sounds possible to me. A cruise ship thats docked, could be made to be destructible, even sinkable. Since you are focusing on a small section of the map, perhaps it can be done.

Buffalo Soldier

I've always wanted this, so we could drive planes and cars into buildings and it would leave a long lasting effect - and stuff, or to be able to set fire to buildings by throwing petrol bombs through the windows, that would be cool.

destructible enviroments will likely be present in mission-specific locations. The dry wall in BOGT's Chinese Takeout. Grove Street's bridge in SA. Not every wall will be but where missions take place, probably.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

087rqaU.pngVw81Z2a.pngxWvxZoT.png1fb6cYB.png

Click here to view my Poetry

Do you have any idea how much memory it would take to have every surface/building destructible in an open world? Not to mention weather the destruction is permanent or temporary. Whats going to happen when a mission takes place inside a building you destroyed before hand? And what happens when you try to level the whole city? mission specific destruction is fine but other than that no

BattleField 3's multiplayer had a very destructable environment. I think that GTA 5 could implement the ability to take chunks out of buildings and chip concrete barriers when you shoot them and things like that, but not anything over the top like destroying an entire building.

EDIT: Even though battlefield 3 was a war game, it was still REALISTIC, so I see no reason for an open world game to implement more destruction for realism as well.

Edited by CrowBarZ

I would like to see destructable buildings but memory problems and 9/11

Something like Battlefield  smile.gif

This.

But I have to admit I'm not expecting it, that would be an enormous effort to do with a GTA map.

Mikey_Navaja  Posted on Thursday, Nov 24 2011, 18:51

Do you have any idea how much memory it would take to have every surface/building destructible in an open world? Not to mention weather the destruction is permanent or temporary. Whats going to happen when a mission takes place inside a building you destroyed before hand? And what happens when you try to level the whole city? mission specific destruction is fine but other than that no

Every time you go to sleep the city is rebuilt. I could live with that. It is a game and I wouldn't want the city to look like sh*t forever lol It would be fun to bring it to ruins though.

Edited by Ispintechno

I'm not too bothered over GTA's indestructible buildings, but I wouldn't mind it if R* made some buildings that can be destroyed at any time. Maybe like a couple warehouses or some corner stores though, I'm not really a big proponent for destroying anything bigger.

Voted the 2nd option. The environment should be a little more destructible, but not at the point of erasing the whole city from the map. A building or another required by mission is enough, like every GTA edition has.

I would like to have destructable buildings in GTA V but people would end up being dissapointed by it not being in the next GTA in Libety City because I dont think they would put it in Liberty.

It is too much to ask for walls, surfaces and buildings to completely crumble when destroyed. That would essentially require the production of two or more overlapping maps of the city, just so to allow you to walk through that destroyed wall. They will also need to completely redo the game engine to allow for the physics, animations and sounds of the destruction. This is all difficult knowing how the XBOX360's hardware was already pushed to the limit with GTA IV.

However, what is definately feasible and can be done is to allow changes in textures one something is destroyed. If you throw a grenade or fire an RPG at a building, a whole side or the whole shop front will look destroyed and stay that way for a while. Maybe they can even add flames and plumes of smoke coming out. But apart from that, you wont be able to complete demolition the wall and go through it, and the building wont be made to collapse eventually - just look destroyed.

This is not at all a far step. most building surfaces had two different textures since the time of GTA 3. I just recently realised that the theatre next to Sex Club Seven has a texture where the roll-down shutters are closing it during the day, while they are open at night, showing the entrance inside. Same with almost all buildings in GTA since - a night and day texture. Though again, completely just cosmetic - you aren't able to go inside that theatre anymore when shutters are open.

So it really wont at all be a far step to add a third texture - that of near-complete destruction - and some memory to keep it that way for a while.

This itself has been done before in GTA VCS when empire sites are destroyed. So if anything, I would be very disappointed if there wasn't at least something similar to that in the next GTA. The simple bullet-holes in IV when bullets hit shop windows is frankly not good enough IMO.

6g8AhC3.jpg

iGrandTheftAuto

GTA V would be the very first game in the series to have destructable surfaces, and I think the idea of it is rediculous.

user posted image

Something like Battlefield smile.gif

of course it's not going to be like battlefield. were you even thinking when you typed that?

but I like seeing damage caused by bullets.

For example, you're having a gunfight in a house and you firing along the walls as bullets tear through the drywall on the other side, which reminds me, there wasn't much material penetration in IV.

As long as they make the small trees destructable I'll be happy....

It was so annoying in IV when you ran over a small tree at top speed and barely did anything to it lol.

CapitolLimited

It would be VERY hard to implement and would look pretty ridiculous too. I mean, lets say you took an RPG and blew it into a building, then drive away for 2 blocks, then return to it looking brand new, I'd be amazed. Plus, there's no interior in the buildings as well.

i wouldnt mind having the cars more destructable like having parts of it fly off and kill pedestrians but then again it would get annoying becuase i like the durability of the cars

ikillionaire ii

I wouldnt want buildings collapsing or blowing through walls but I think the small things should be fixed so when were driving we dont get stopped of a lamppost I know some on IV dont but at the same time some do fences etc

Right now I don't want much destruction! However... a few more destructable stuff wouldn't be a bad, such as...

* Shooting on buildings would make small pieces of concrete fly off the walls if you use a pretty powerful weapon such as an AK47.

* Crashing a car in full speed into a building woulc make cracks and a small hole. Driving a car into a small house made out of wood, could create a huge hole right in the average Joe's living room. You could then walk inside and take whatever you want.

* Shooting on grass/dirt/water would make a "splash" effect.

* A hand grenade would destroy all surrounding objects and make cracks/holes in the ground.

* Driving on bushes/grass would flatten it.

A couple of stuff which could be incorporated. Small details so it probably won't take up much space. Not as much as a complete destructable environment. For that I think we must wait for the next gen, no wait, more like the next next gen.

mafiahitman14
GTA V would be the very first game in the series to have destructable surfaces, and I think the idea of it is rediculous.

are u mad confused.gif

this idea is awesome so what if gta v would be the first game in the series to have destructable surfaces

wont it be fun to just crash a huge truck into a house or burn a house down. devil.gif that's frekin awesome

Thing is, it'd ruin continuity. With full-scale destruction you'd smash a house down and a few hours lately it'd be back like nothing ever happened, or it'd stay smashed and eventually the entire city would be in bits. For these reasons, I don't think GTA will never have full scale destruction, and I hope it doesn't too. I think we'll see some cover degradation, maybe not in V but in the next gen Rockstar games but that's it at most.

are u mad confused.gif

this idea is awesome so what if gta v would be the first game in the series to have destructable surfaces

wont it be fun to just crash a huge truck into a house or burn a house down. devil.gif that's frekin awesome

But then there's the question, what next?

Is it just going to magically repair itself the next time you see it?

Will you be left with a permanently flattend city?

I think having AI constuction crews to build buildings exactly how they were would be impracticle let alone impossible.

Harwood Butch3r

Actually that's not true. In "Escuella Of The Streets" in GTA IV when you go to the warehouse and shoot someone hiding behind a concrete pillar pieces fragment depending on the weapon you use. Can't remember if it happens at any other time in the game, but GTA IV definitely has destructable surfaces to some degree.