How about an in-car cover system?

urbanfire

One thing I hated in GTA IV was how vulnerable you were inside a car compared to previous gta's. Getting chased by cops was no longer a cat and mouse game, but more about how lucky you were in avoiding those blazing shotguns that cops fire through the windscreen. I mean, 90% of my deaths are because of dying to shotgun ammo while tring to hotwire a getaway car!

I really wish they would include an in-car cover system. If you want to avoid being hit by bullets, you press a button to duck under the steering wheel. But by doing so steering becomes momentarily stiff and hard to control, so you will need to pop your head back up if you want to turn etc (thats to stop spammers on Multiplayer).

Do you guys reckon this would be a good idea?

Edited by urbanfire

monkeystrummer

Yea i do think it is a good idea, although i dont think you should need to press a button - it should be a reflex thing if the cops are firing whilst your making a getaway - once you pull away then the driving, steering goes back to normal. i dont think you should be doin it anytime you want though. If you were driving around and could do it all the time it would just look lamer than a one legged horse

There could be more reflex actions, like if someone suddenly shoots out your window whilst your driving then it should cause you to duck, perhaps the car becomes momentarily uncontrolable

Yeah that could work.

Anyways, in IV it was due to the higher level of realism to get hurt while in a car.

And I appreciated it.

But while you are hotwiring a car you should be protected by the dashbard since you lower your head.

There could be more reflex actions, like if someone suddenly shoots out your window whilst your driving then it should cause you to duck, perhaps the car becomes momentarily uncontrolable
Dude, that sounds even harder than it is in IV mercie_blink.gif

The reflex idea sounds good we'll just have to wait and see. I think ill be happy with whatever they put in the game....as long as its fun like all the others

I think thats an awesome idea especially for online too, autoaim bitches wouldn't like it for sure

7cg1vNw.png

In real life, this would'nt work ofc. The cars bodypanels are thick enough to stop a bullet. Even a 9mm one can penetrate the door at one side and still have enough velocity and power to penetrate the second door on the other side. And when you have high powered guns, then theres just no chance. And actually, this is the way i like it. This adds more difficulty running away and makes the game more realistic. Also, you'd not be like, get in the car and noone can hurt me in any way. It would be boring like that.

Oh and even a dashboard would'nt help, a bullet can penetrate that too.

Wow, i never had this problem. I think getting shot at actually makes the getaway more intense, trying to dodge cops and bullets by steering the car.

I see your problem, but I don't think it's such a universal issue, that it'd guarantee this new feature.

In real life, this would'nt work ofc. The cars bodypanels are thick enough to stop a bullet. Even a 9mm one can penetrate the door at one side and still have enough velocity and power to penetrate the second door on the other side. And when you have high powered guns, then theres just no chance. And actually, this is the way i like it. This adds more difficulty running away and makes the game more realistic. Also, you'd not be like, get in the car and noone can hurt me in any way. It would be boring like that.

certainly this is true for the doors and panels but i'm pretty sure very few bullets could penetrate when being shot from the front, basically the ability to move your head like pedestrians do when targetted in cars would be a great feature

7cg1vNw.png

Snake Without a Tongue

Cars are definitely vulnerable. Can't count the times I've been shot in the head from a distance in MP. But it's realistic and works well in the game.

leik oh em jeez!
But while you are hotwiring a car you should be protected by the dashbard since you lower your head.

Thin plastic dashboards aren't bullet proof. Sorry.

certainly this is true for the doors and panels but i'm pretty sure very few bullets could penetrate when being shot from the front, basically the ability to move your head like pedestrians do when targetted in cars would be a great feature

That I agree with.

The idea of having the feature button-pushed wwould ruin it for me. Every time I want to kill someone, I'd have to either blow up the car or run them into a tree lol.gif

Perhaps, this has potential but I don't see much.

That I agree with.

The idea of having the feature button-pushed wwould ruin it for me. Every time I want to kill someone, I'd have to either blow up the car or run them into a tree lol.gif

Perhaps, this has potential but I don't see much.

Impaired steering and uncontrollably accelerating should make it a bit more challenging.

Of course, with bullet penetration, this is pretty useless biggrin.gif

In real life, this wouldn't work of course. The car's body panels aren't thick enough to stop a bullet. Even a 9mm one can penetrate the door at one side and still have enough velocity and power to penetrate the second door on the other side. And when you have high powered guns, then there's just no chance. And actually, this is the way I like it. This adds more difficulty running away and makes the game more realistic. Also, you'd not be like, get in the car and no-one can hurt me in any way. It would be boring like that.

Oh and even a dashboard wouldn't help, a bullet can penetrate that too.

A lot of people don't seem to realise that much of the stuff you take cover behind in GTA, just wouldn't stop most rounds. It's something that is badly misrepresented in TV and movies too.

to be a reflex yes. I don't want to press a button to "cover" in a car. I've rarely died in cars, they offer protection. It's often easier to gun it, and drive smarter to evade the cops - the dispatcher will tell you wher eto avoid, pretty easy.

But for chases - IRL cops don't shoot at you so readily, but gangstas? To dodge/ cover automatically, using animation similar to Morpheus during the Matrix Reloaded Freeway chase scene.

in all honestly i don't think it'd have much practical use.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

087rqaU.pngVw81Z2a.pngxWvxZoT.png1fb6cYB.png

Click here to view my Poetry

Cars already offer a lot of protection and cars are not bullet proof. I really like how GTA 4 did it. I'd say it was nearly perfect. You'd have to be driving right for a rifle barrel to really get hit once and die in a car.

This has saved my arse multiple times in multiplayer. Nothing like a fellow player hell bent on running you over and then you shoot him in the face and dodge the car! Great feeling cool.gif

(and then take the car and then run him over with his own car)

Cars already offer a lot of protection and cars are not bullet proof. I really like how GTA 4 did it. I'd say it was nearly perfect. You'd have to be driving right for a rifle barrel to really get hit once and die in a car.

This has saved my arse multiple times in multiplayer. Nothing like a fellow player hell bent on running you over and then you shoot him in the face and dodge the car! Great feeling cool.gif

(and then take the car and then run him over with his own car)

It was great doing that to car noobs.

I used to play like I was a bull fighter with a gun.

I used to get in a car and only shoot at other players (strictly only shooting) because thats alot harder to master and won't piss off all the worth while players your with.

No, I really hope they don't make it safer in a car. like someone else said, in real life even a 9mm can penetrate a car door, so consider it already in your favour.

I don't play auto aim games online anyway, so it still takes some skill. I love that you can kill someone by firing through any of their windows.

I think as soon as you're in the car, the cops should try and shoot the tires instead of you. That way you won't get shot without any defences, and it's more realistic.

I think as soon as you're in the car, the cops should try and shoot the tires instead of you. That way you won't get shot without any defences, and it's more realistic.

Hmm... this is another interesting option. I suppose that would take care of dying when trying to hotwire the car, but at the same time MP will still play the same way as GTA IV did. I'd be happy with this option icon14.gif