Your PC knowlegde will be apreciated

ScoobydooWRX

A couple of years ago I installed a USB driver on my PC for my router so I could use the ethernet for PS3.

Now I need to change the PC back to ethernet connection, I loaded the driver but when it gets as far as choosing USB or ethernet connection it says "No detectable ethernet ports available" even though the lead is in and the green light is on at both computer and router ends.

Could the other driver I used for USB have wiped the ethernet port software?

And if so could the system recovery DVD get it back?

Thanks alot in advance, its doing my nut in!

Edited by ScoobydooWRX

What OS?

Check the Device Manager->Network Adapters to make sure your ethernet device is listed.

What OS?

Check the Device Manager->Network Adapters to make sure your ethernet device is listed.

Hello, yeah the O.S. Is windows XP, il give the device manager a try cheers

What OS?

Just to say, I went in device manager and it says there is no software installed for the ethernet conntroller, and it couldn't find any on pc after a search.

Also tried total re-install of system revovery dvd....no luck.

Has anyone else had the bitch of a problem? sad.gif

This sounds like it's a pre-built system like a Dell or HP because you keep talking about a system recovery disc. If that is the case then you can go to their website, in the Support area, enter in your model number and there should be some drivers from there that you can download and use.

Other wise, you need to figure out what ethernet chipset is in there and go to the maker's website and download them.

Yeah sounds like your right about the pre-built pre-installed software for this pc, il use someone elses pc and download it onto a memory stick or disc and see how that goes, cheers for your insight anyway icon14.gif

I was setting my Internet laptops repeatedly for more then one Net router, I forget the exact commands, but Via the RUN option in Windows, some MS DOS command prompts can determine your Net setup, that might go along way to figuring it out online

I'm not sure what you can divulge though, in an WWW setting, you still want some safety for your system

Prior to using a router via Ethernet and Wifi, I was adjusting for a cable to cable Ethernet for data transfer, which is set up in similar fashion to standard Networking

One confusing aspect is whether you're computer was setup to use specific software drivers, or Windows own. Perhaps that's where the confusion stems?

Yeah sounds like your right about the pre-built pre-installed software for this pc, il use someone elses pc and download it onto a memory stick or disc and see how that goes, cheers for your insight anyway icon14.gif

Ok so this is a pre-built system?

Just curious; what is the make and model?

I had that backwards, I see you meant USB Wifi versus a tethered /cabled Ethernet connection between the PS3 or the computer, not getting the PS3 connected to the computer for Internet access? I would question why you just didn't use one or the other, leave the cables, since that frees up bandwidth and causes less online gaming hassle

Edited by Slamman

I had that backwards, I see you meant USB Wifi versus a tethered /cabled Ethernet connection between the PS3 or the computer, not getting the PS3 connected to the computer for Internet access? I would question why you just didn't use one or the other, leave the cables, since that frees up bandwidth and causes less online gaming hassle

No I dont have a wifi system, just have 2 ports on wired router, a BT 220v, had pc set up to use USB port and PS3 using ethernet port so I could have them both plugged into router at same time.

But now I need PC running on ethernet again only to find the ethernet port is not working on the pc, its definitly a pc problem, the PS3 connects great with the ethernet on router.

I need to find a driver for the ethernet conntroller on my emachines E4026.

Cheers.

Edited by ScoobydooWRX

eMachines, well there's your problem.

Seriously though the most I could find about that system is that is, well, old as dirt.

And eMachines' site is completely useless, they offer zero support for their older systems it seems.

I'm really surprised that Win7 doesn't detect the ethernet chipset and install drivers that would work.

Sort of using the recovery discs to completely wipe and reset that system back to factory default, I have no idea what to tell you.

eMachines, well there's your problem.

Seriously though the most I could find about that system is that is, well, old as dirt.

And eMachines' site is completely useless, they offer zero support for their older systems it seems.

I'm really surprised that Win7 doesn't detect the ethernet chipset and install drivers that would work.

Sort of using the recovery discs to completely wipe and reset that system back to factory default, I have no idea what to tell you.

Yeah I know lol my pc is as old as the hills, for now ive orderd a 10 metre USB cable so I can keep using it on that port.

What it is, is that I had to move the pc to another room but the router is staying where it is and my first idea was to use a home plug ethernet bridge, obviously cant now cos ethernet port is no more.

So the cheapest way is to get the long USB and run it under carpets for now.

I want to keep a wired system as its much better for gaming

http://dexplor.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=...33f06b2f6799ae0

Not so fast,

eMachines is what I started with, and I even wound up getting some from other sources later on, I repacked the T5026 with a 775 supporting Core2Duo. Don't make fun of them too much, you can also retrofit! Gateway bought the company and consolidated. The old eMachines links are pretty much dead (to site support) However, fans of the old, They've created a site dedicated to eMachine owners and users, so you can certainly find support from them!

My 2000 eMachine eTower still works and I upgraded it rather nicely given it's lowly original specs, I can't do a heck of a lot with the 370 socket and PCI slots, but it can still do normal computing.

I'll see if I can find the site again, at least with search engine help!?

Here's Gateway with your machine number input already, and "drivers"

http://search.support.gateway.com/iphrase/...drivers&x=0&y=0

As for the old links, I thought it clever they used "E4Me" or something like that, Emachine4me.

The first link is your best bet, Doing the support site with just their Search box is not that intuitive.

Here's the last vestiges of their old online site... Not serving you with their Server any longer...

http://support.emachines.com/em/driver/prevmodsupp.html

This one may work out well for any eMachine users at a loss...

http://www.drivermanager.com/en/drivers.ph...CFY3JKgodBlTxmw

Here's yours;

http://www.computerbargains.co.uk/shop/cus...productid=16791

Run your specs up against the Compaq Presario SR1220NX, that's my machine, and I still have that... My third computer. My eTower 700 I paid $600 for and got a 19 inch monitor that worked up until it died. The PSUs were 70 watts or 75 watts on the 700, and 250 on the Compaq, as I recall. I upgraded to a PCI 8400GS nVidia card on the Compaq, the CPU works over time, at around that spec, 3Ghz, but the 8 series card will give you some muscle for gaming on it!

Edited by Slamman

Do you even bother to check out the links you give BEFORE you mention them?

First link: forum post from earlier this year which links to a 4-year-old post on the same forum, which links to a dead link. Second link: dead. Third link: although while working it pointless and seems to be the only one you looked at because you mention it dead so why bother to link it at all.

As to the Driver Manager site (4th link). Found that one and other that said the same thing; download our crap and we'll get you want you want, that is if you want is adware, possibly spy and/or malware as well. And before you mention that they have the Microsoft Certified Partner image, they also have Norton McAfee images too. Anyone can get those images, it doesn't make it true.

5th link points to a site trying to sell the same eMachine. And what is the point in that?

Having him compare his system to yours which is from a completely different maker doesn't help either. My laptop and desktop both use Realtek ethernet chipsets, but that doesn't mean I can use the same drivers on both system. Hell I have 2 Gigabyte mobos, bought within a year of each other, again both using the same ethernet chipset maker, Realtek, and yet again I can't use the same drivers on both system. This isn't like the audio drivers from Realtek, which there I can use the same drivers on both mobos (can't use the on the laptop since it's not even Realtek there).

The only other plausible hope is to open the case, look for the ethernet chipset and hope that it's still clearly readable as to what the maker and model is. Then MAYBE he can do to maker's website and get the drivers from there. It's likely to be Realtek but it could also be VIA or a slight chance of nVidia but very doubtful. The chipset might be so old that there are no Vista/7 drivers for it at all.

Some what off topic: Do you know why you found a link to Gateway for drivers for an eMachine? Because back on 2004 Gateway bought eMachine, but 3 years later in 2007 Acer bought Gateway/eMachine however it seems Acer doesn't offer support for the old Gateway or eMachines systems. If they do, maybe its at support.acer.com, which is either down for some reason or it's dead.

I thought it useful to link to Gateway initially, and it was half-ass, hap hazard, but I kept running various searches, the Dex forum I liked so much I signed up to it, the link at the top is good, I checked it. Still the drivers are on Gateway's pages, because they bought ALL OF eMachines business. I don't think eMachines was bought that far back, but even so, I'm pretty sure Acer didn't buy them. I never heard of that deal.

The comparison to what I own, Compaq SR1220NX is so he can see I share a very similar dated PC, about 2004 I'd say

The links from Dex as mentioned, go back to Gateway, but a more definitive link of drivers:

http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers...EOEMD915GVAGLG3

Edited by Slamman