Full-on NPC Interaction

Akavari

I saw there was already a thread like this, but I had already prepared this post and the other thread is completely half-assed. I'll try to do this idea some justice, hear me out.

NPC INTERACTION

After binging on ESV: Skyrim for days, I've come to admire Bethesda's approach with NPC interaction and encounters. The same goes for games like Mass Effect. The fact that you can have a meaningful conversation with most people is a true milestone in achieving the immersion that GTA is currently striving for. What better way to make the in-game world more lively? Furthermore, a real criminal should be just as skilled with his words as he is with his fists. I should be able to walk up to a pedestrian and smooth-talk my way into a few extra bucks or some useful information. Imagine the potential of being a savvy con artist scamming people on the streets! There is so much potential for humor, as well; to walk up to anyone and talk sh*t just to see how much they will put up with!

How would you feel about this kind of gameplay? With a colossal effort in voice acting, I think Rockstar could achieve something great. Everyone in the city could have something to offer, whether it be a rumor or an odd service or a small mini-mission. I've created a few hypothetical scenarios below to see how some instances could play out for GTA.

EXAMPLES
DRUG DEALER

"You here to cop something? $25 gets you the finest bud in San Andreas. Hurry up, I got other customers."

RESPONSE

"Sounds good, here you go." [-$25]

"Please, like I'd buy anything from a dumb prick like you." [INSULT]

"$25 for this sh*t? I'll give you $15, and that's being generous." [PERSUASION]

"Actually, I'm going to take all of it for free. What do you think about that?" [INTIMIDATION]

"Do you know who I am? You'd better cut me in on these profits you're making." [REPUTATION]

POLICE OFFICER

"I've got my eye on you, watch yourself."

RESPONSE

"How about you take a coffee break?" [-$100]

"Blow it out your ass, pig." [INSULT]

"You'd better leave now if you want to live to make that pension." [INTIMIDATION]

"Pfft, I could have you fired. Move along before I lose my temper." [REPUTATION]

HOMELESS PANHANDLER

"Got some spare change, man? I'm a veteran! I lost my job! Have a heart!"

RESPONSE

"Sure, here. Now leave me alone." [-$1]

"If you want to earn an honest buck, go make a distraction for the police." [-$20]

"No way, you stink like hell! Go swallow a knife." [INSULT]

A classic movie scene to visualize how it could function in-game.

(embedding disabled, not my fault)

Awesome! cookie.gif I've wanted this for MANY YEARS. Wishlist Nazis, F*ck Off in advance, thanks.

Instead of an onscreen list (breaks immersion), I'd prefer each direction on the pad to correlate to a response style. Eg. up for compliance, down for an insult etc, plus combinations for other sayings. It's important for it to feel totally smooth and seamless in gameplay. The lockon feature would determine who you speak to, or you could even address groups.

Unfortunately, time, money and efficiency would need to be huge to program it. Utterly Huge.

Well I think its a great idea and hopefully we see it in there. I really like the reputation replies. I wanna be a big time boss n tell cops n dealers to f*ck off when they say the wrong thing. Also being able to contact people you meet for discounted goods like a random gun dealer, store owner, ect. For guns cloths and stuff like that would be cool.

All they need to do is improve what was already started in San Andreas. CJ responded to gangs, peds and drug dealers using either left for negative reply or right for postive on the D-Pad. Just expand on that and it opens up a whole range of scenarios and possiblities to make the interaction with the world around you more immersive.

Good thread! icon14.gif

I don't want a Mass Effect style multiple choice interactions. As others have said, a simple positive/negative, passive/aggressive in certain situations & with peds would suffice.

All they need to do is improve what was already started in San Andreas. CJ responded to gangs, peds and drug dealers using either left for negative reply or right for postive on the D-Pad. Just expand on that and it opens up a whole range of scenarios and possiblities to make the interaction with the world around you more immersive.

Good thread! icon14.gif

Yeah, this.

@OP: All of that works fine in a game like Mass Effect and Skyrim, but I just don't see it working in GTA. It doesn't need such an intricate system as those games when it comes to interacting with NPCs. I think it would just slow the game down.

As long as it doesn't happen with every cop or dealer. Or it doesn't happen automatically. Maybe do a "Press X" thing or something.

blowtorchrepair

how about a complex system that would allow players to potentially and consensually bang any and every female NPC desired (not just hookers), at practically any location where the deed can be gotten away with (mindful of the cops, of course), if the correct sequence of actions are completed.

I mean, once gamers have finished the story, side missions, and everything else 100%, then why not move on to mounting every NPC in Los Santos. (exclude grandma NPCs, of course)

This would be different from the happy endings to the 'dating' in vanilla IV, in that we would have more control of the player with simple button commands, such as: Press A to pump, Press B to squeeze titz; Press Y to flip her over; Press X to jiz in her hair; Press left bumper to dong-slap, right bumper to teabag, etc. The game could even throw up random button patterns for the gamer to press and, if pressed correctly then the female is satisfied, if pressed incorrectly then the encounter ends prematurely and your rep goes down as a result. Even if R* didn't want to make this possible anywhere on the map, they could set up several different banging scenarios. The in-car servicing we saw in IV was cool. In addition to that we could see services exchanged on the hood of a car, even perhaps at Hotels, and surely on the beach. ?

In a world where there could be an absolute guarantee that no children would ever get their hands on this game, this would be a hoot to have in the game, or as a DLC.

how about a complex system that would allow players to potentially and consensually bang any and every female NPC desired (not just hookers), at practically any location where the deed can be gotten away with (mindful of the cops, of course), if the correct sequence of actions are completed.

I mean, once gamers have finished the story, side missions, and everything else 100%, then why not move on to mounting every NPC in Los Santos. (exclude grandma NPCs, of course)

This would be different from the happy endings to the 'dating' in vanilla IV, in that we would have more control of the player with simple button commands, such as: Press A to pump, Press B to squeeze titz; Press Y to flip her over; Press X to jiz in her hair; Press left bumper to dong-slap, right bumper to teabag, etc. The game could even throw up random button patterns for the gamer to press and, if pressed correctly then the female is satisfied, if pressed incorrectly then the encounter ends prematurely and your rep goes down as a result. Even if R* didn't want to make this possible anywhere on the map, they could set up several different banging scenarios. The in-car servicing we saw in IV was cool. In addition to that we could see services exchanged on the hood of a car, even perhaps at Hotels, and surely on the beach. ?

In a world where there could be an absolute guarantee that no children would ever get their hands on this game, this would be a hoot to have in the game, or as a DLC.

Wasn't that basically Hot Coffee in SA?

Okay, sure. Maybe full dialogue options would be a bit out of character for GTA, but they should add a feature where we can interact with people nonetheless. San Andreas interaction was pointless; some guy doesn't like CJ's shoes so you get to choose from one of two weak retorts? Instead of a watered-down 'positive, negative' system, maybe they could add a wheel of options that could be applied to almost any scenario. You could have an option to trade with someone, insult them, give them an order, bribe, extort, scare off, etc. I only wrote my examples in an RPG format because I'm more familiar with that system and it just helps get the idea across.

GTA will not have any meaningful NPC interaction this generation, at the very most taunts/compliments MAYBE. You can mark my words on that.

GET OVER 1 BILLION IN GTA ONLINE WITH THIS GLITCH

Join the best of the best. Join the Republic of Zee.http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/member/zeegtaforums

Add me on Xbox: ZeeGTAForums and PS3: mtkgta420

The Continuing Adventures of Zeehttp://www.youtube.com/ZeeGTAForums

http://www.twitch.tv/zeegtaf

Deji is a coward.

, then why not move on to mounting every NPC in Los Santos. (exclude grandma NPCs, of course)

Why would you exclude Grandmas, nothing like a good ol' Gmilf. wink.gif

fV9tG4b.gif

Haha

The convos are so funny. If they are anything like your examples then- yes please!

Thanks for a good laugh man