Time to gloat / consider implications

gamefarter

I am going to be that guy who is so vain as to not only lay claim to being the first to say that GTA V would be set in Los Santos, but to also make a topic dedicated to it. tounge2.gif

But in all seriousness, it is the implication that what it might mean that really interests me.

Let us begin back in September of 2007, when I made a topic in the GTA IV forums named:

Next GTA: Los Santos

Link: http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=295706&st=0

To give those of you who don't want to read the whole thread, I will post the main points here, as it is the basis of where I am going with all this.

(I do encourage those of you who have the time to go back and read the 3.5 pages of the topic, as it is interesting to hear what people were saying about GTA V being in Los Santos even before GTA IV came out, and to see how badly I was flamed by people who are now eating their words. It is also interesting to see how confident I was in my prediction given the reasoning behind it.)

Here is the gist of it:

I, as many of you, checked out the Midnightclub LA recently. The graphics are awesome! It got me to thinking that R* now has already mapped out almost all of Los Angeles and have it converted to code, using the RAGE engine. Why would they spend so much time and effort to map out and create a virtual LA cityscape, and only use it for this one game? It seems to me, that if I worked for Take-two, I would be looking to do more with what I already have, and not spend so much time building from scratch. This means taking the Midnightclub LA map, chopping it up a bit to make it a little less realistic in size and layout, and use it to make the next GTA tittle. They have done this same type of thing twice already in making the two GTA "stories" tittles. So, I would not put it past them at all, I actually think that's probably the plan. They could really catch the vibe of the city this time, like they are trying to do with Liberty City.

Mark my words, and remember you read this when they announce the new location of the next GTA

What do you all think?

The Mid. Club: LA trailer is on R*'s website. Check it out if you have't seen it yet

Lets work with what we've got.

We'll just make GTA IV's successor in the remade Liberty City, once again.

Or lets just port GTA3 directly to PS3, X360 and release it.

Sample of a hater. lol.gif

I would like to reiterate my original post, which is that my main idea is that the next location for a GTA will be in Los Santos. And even someone who was in disagreement with my idea, did mention that they would share all of the info that R* San Diego had gathered to make MC:LA. But this is the crux of my point, that why start from scratch when you already have almost all the info you need to start development of the game right away. So they could put out another GTA in a year and a half instead of the almost 4 years it took to make GTA4. This is the main reason why I think Los Santos will be the next GTA destination.

One other thing to consider is that if they have already digitally replicated a certain building, landmark, or a bridge that they plan on using in GTA: Los Santos for MC:LA, why build it from scratch? It is already coded for the RAGE engine, and R* not wanting us to wait 3 more years for the next, same-generation consul, reiteration of GTA4 graphics and gameplay. All of these reasons point to R* having a head-start advantage if they do choose to use Los Santos as the backdrop for the next GTA after GTA4: LC. These are reasons enough for me to almost expect it to happen this way. Just don't be surprised if it does.

A couple things some people seem to be stuck on is that for one, the new Los Santos will NOT be like the one we saw in SA, but a newly made one like we are seeing with the new LC in GTA4.

Secondly, the MAIN REASON I think this to be plausible is that it could cut development time in half for the next GTA to come out. That would make it worth it to me for them to release a GTA in TWO years instead of FOUR, even if it was in a remade LA. Some of you act like you wouldn't even buy it if they did this...Yes you would.

I am not saying they will take the exact map of LA they are using in MC:LA, but if they do make a GTA: Los Santos, they will have a more realistic city (like GTA4 now has the Statue of Happiness, which wasn't in GTA III), however they will CALL it Los Santos because it is in the GTA universe. Think of how many LA Landmarks and buildings they have already made for MC:LA using RAGE. To be able to recycle even the building structures alone would save them a whole lot of time and hassle, and research. They could change the entire layout of the city of course to make it more suited for a GTA game. But the idea here is to take a vast treasure of digital information and cash in on it by making the next GTA set in Los Santos.

Ok, so that was my thoughts on it.

Going from here I have point out that I highlighted,in yellow, one reason for my thinking this, which was they would be able to put GTA V out in a shorter time. I was obviously wrong about this, but what are the implications of this not being on of the reasons for it being in LS?

What I am thinking is that instead of using the resources they have from making MC:LA to be able to shorten the development time of the game, they are still using it, but it is a lot smaller portion of the overall map than I was expecting. Since we now know that it will include "surrounding area", how big will it be, has been a big question. When you consider the open country, R* has RDR at its disposal for use, which should drastically reduce the development time for that part of the map. Yet this GTA will be around 4 years in the making, which is the same time it took to make GTA IV from scratch with a new engine, on two next gen systems, implementing Euphoria, and still putting out a solid game.

When you take all of this into consideration, GTA V is in all likely hood going to be pretty damn big, and will include Los Santos, lots of countryside, Las Venturas, some towns, and Area 51.

Well that's what I think, but I mostly just wanted to gloat. I would be interested in what you guys think about all that, especially about the correlation between development time and the size and scope of the game considering the base resources they have from MC:LA, RDR, and GTA IV. Don't forget to congratulate me on being first to call going back to Los Sontos. smile.gificon14.gif

Thanks to all who read all that.

Edited by gamefarter

You were smack on target mate & wd biggrin.gif .....was very cool to look back @ how some ppl thought it would be cool & how some said it would be crap ,but look @ us now its looking to be the best games ever created by man,Yere i said it .

Tho i think theres a SH*T storm more than LS why LS in the trailer looks small & also theres parts in the trailer (all been said b4) you can start to see other places on the map.(New locations) so i think R* WILL SHOW US a new City till the game comes out ! mercie_blink.gifmercie_blink.gifmercie_blink.gif

Yeah, you were right about the game being set in Los Santos, but I seriously doubt that Rockstar will use anything from Midnight Club LA in GTA V.

'Eating their words'? No. They weren't saying that Los Santos is a bad idea for GTA V; they had a problem with your attitude (it's just SO CLEAR TO ME that X will happen because [insert reason here]) and reasoning as to why it would be Los Santos - game review scores would go down the toilet if the map was rehashed from Midnight Club, because it would be the same old thing, except you can leave the car. Now obviously, the new GTA V map is not based off of Midnight Club, so they aren't eating their words. They will be pissed, however, because you're gloating when you have no reason to gloat.

So...what's your prediction for GTA VI? I assume Rockstar will lay off Los Angeles as a setting for most of their games (see LA Noire, Midnight Club LA, GTA V) and start with the Sao Paulo/Brazil phase of Rockstar games - basing GTA VI off of Max Payne 3, Red Dead Redemption 2, Midnight Club 5, etc.

I had exactly the same thoughts, only nowhere near as early as you.

With the increasing cost of game development, it's become prudent to asset share as much as possible. I think that was at the forefront of Rockstar's of mind when they started creating the R.A.G.E.

With MC:LA they had mapped & researched L.A., with GTA IV they created an incredibly detailed, living, breathing city & with RDR they perfected the great outdoors. If you put all those together, you've already got the beginnings of an amazing GTA game set in San Andreas.

Edited by jamieleng

Rockstar are better than to just recycle assets from another game. Especially when you're essentially suggesting that they just reuse a map from another game. I couldn't see even some of the sh*ttest devs doing that, and especially not Rockstar.

I would have no problem if they used anything from Midnightclub.. buildings, textures, whatever. My logic is that if the game has taken this long in development, and they're already working with an area they know/have pre-coded (and time saving) map elements at their fingertips/are already well versed in using RAGE, then presumably a real tonne of development time must have gone into other things that will make the game better.

Then again, my logic is usually flawed.

gamefarter, you made a good point. I was asking myself the same, but only when I realized that GTA V will be based on Los Angeles. I wanted to gather some facts about possible re-use, that's why I started a topic to ask people who played MC:LA to look at the GTA V trailer and share their observation of similarities.

Link: http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=493504&hl=

Until now, the most relevant response that I got is from Darrel and it disproves our theory:

I own the game midnight club LA. And i must say judging from the Gta V trailer. It actually feels like they have worked from scratch. So much more detail in Gta V. I am sure they will take some things from Midnight Club LA like the general geography of the game, but it will most definitely stand alone on its own.

But it would be nice to stay focused and see what turns out in the future, when we get more info about GTA V.

Lol it's funny reading the opinions of people back in 2007.

Gray Fox: I'm like you, I have no name.

• 1 year later...

We now can see that car customization is another asset they will be using that was originally used for mc:la.

Quackerz Gamerz

No offense, but was it really necessary to post in a nearly 2 year old topic?

Rockstar are better than to just recycle assets from another game. Especially when you're essentially suggesting that they just reuse a map from another game. I couldn't see even some of the sh*ttest devs doing that, and especially not Rockstar.

icon14.gif

That's what I was thinking. R* is better than re-using, they like to plow virgins territory.

OT:

Gloat away you gloating gloater! However, keep in mind that many other people said LS too, as I was one of them too. Next, we get Vice City, and a huge surrounding area creeping into a couple other staes AND AND AND with the ability to fly to London. yep, you heard it here foist gents!

You went to all that effort to track down your posts claiming something that a whole bunch of people also predicted? Also you start the topic saying "I ain't being that guy rubbing it in your face".. You ain't coming off that way sure, but you sure are coming off as somebody who wants attention? Also, you named this thread "Time to Gloat".. So, maybe you are being that guy?

Well, OP, it all sounds good, except for the small hole in your logic that MCLA and later RDR designs should have made GTAV development faster. As soon as GTAV Trailer #1 came out, I was thinking the same thing. But sadly, it seems to be just another case of wishful thinking, given where we are now, two painful years down the line.

FranklinDeRoosevelt

Well then mark my words, GTA VI is going to be either based in Vice City for the last time, or Chicago. Just watch and learn....

2d2q1k.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if we had to wait another 4 or 5 years for another GTA. Red Dead Redemption 2 seems like a good possibility, and I imagine given the success of RDR that they'd spend a lot of time to make it the best first outing on the new gen consoles that they can possibly do. With the knowledge gained from that, I hope they can develop an even better GTA 6.

You know R* were the first to say GTA V is set in Los Santos because only they known that for a fact. tounge.gif

I wouldn't be surprised if we had to wait another 4 or 5 years for another GTA. Red Dead Redemption 2 seems like a good possibility, and I imagine given the success of RDR that they'd spend a lot of time to make it the best first outing on the new gen consoles that they can possibly do. With the knowledge gained from that, I hope they can develop an even better GTA 6.

Just think how long we would have to wait if Rockstar was not reusing the designs tounge.gif

Good idea for RDR2 on next gen -- what a visual feast that will be. smile.gif Next gen consoles need a game this good to create some demand for the hardware. I just hope Rockstar doesn't kill off the protag this time angry.gif .