GTA 5 Story Length

TheShogunOfHarlem

TheShogunOfHarlem

Sadly, the trend in the Video gaming industry of late is to have lousy, incredibly 5-8 campaigns and the rest of you time should be wasted on multiplayer. (Granted GTA 4 MP was the most fun I've had) Does anybody fear that R* might gradually make their games shorter on the silly belief that people have short attention spans like most modern FPS fans have?

This discussion on Game trailers troubled me a bit: (Starting 13:35)

http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/bonusround/510?ch=2

Anything from 25-50 hours or more would be satisfying.

Edited by TheShogunOfHarlem

I would be incredibly pissed as I don't really do multiplayer and love GTA due to the story. It should be long... like IV, TLAD and BOGT combined.

nah i wouldnt worry about it .. i mean gta iv still had 90 missions , tons of side missions and other stuff

but this topic is about the story

well.. anything between 20 to 30 hours for story would be ideal for me.if its even more awesome. the more the better really

PS: btw not even the dlc was 7-8 hours. they were longer.so i wouldnt worry about the size of the story

I'm hoping for a large storyline. If it's long, you really get attached to it. I'm pretty sure R* will include a fairly long storyline.

If it's a large map, I think that will call for the game to have more missions. I want to use every little bit for the game smile.gif

GRINCH ASS BITCH

I highly doubt Rockstar would turn their back on single player. Grand Theft Auto is widely known for its story and singleplayer.

In terms of story length, I honestly don't know just how long I'd want it to be. I'm sure this has been quoted a million and one times, but pay attention to "A bold new direction in open-world freedom, storytelling, mission-based gameplay and online multiplayer, Grand Theft Auto V focuses on the pursuit of the almighty dollar in a re-imagined, present day Southern California."

What exactly do they mean by "a bold new direction"? Are they actually going to do something completely new and different? How the story is told/played is definitely going to affect my opinion of how long the story itself should be. Will we even have traditional missions like we're used to? I just don't know, but I'm really excited. I'd like to see what this "bold new direction" is (assuming it's not just a bunch of mumbo jumbo used to hype the game up).

I'm hoping for 25 hours minimum. RDR's story was shorter than GTA's have been, but I don't think that's something to keep in mind. GTA is their baby, their main priority, the game where they prove how good they are, I can only see them trying to push push push in terms of what can be done in video games at the moment. I'm hoping they get the story going quicker than IV though. I never completed IV (completed TBoGT, which was fun as hell), I tried to start it again only recently and I got bored after maybe two hours. I know Rockstar like to introduce us to the world and characters slowly, but it takes like 2 hours for the game to give you a gun and even then none of the missions start to feel big or epic till 20 odd hours into the game.

And like Grinch mentioned, I'm expecting them to do something unusual and innovative with how the story and missions play out going by their press release. Hopefully that isn't just the PR talking to hype the game up.

Only 10% finished Red Dead Redemption. (Finished the story, that is, not talking about 100%.) Still, that's over a million people who played to the end.

If Rockstar cut back on story it would infuriate hard-core fans and reviewers and so I think they'll look at the incremental cost of a longer story on top of the main design and engineering of the game and continue to say it's worth doing and represents the kind of deep game Rockstar wants to make.

Sadly, the trend in the Video gaming industry of late is to have lousy, incredibly 5-8 campaigns and the rest of you time should be wasted on multiplayer. (Granted GTA 4 MP was the most fun I've had) Does anybody fear that R* might gradually make their games shorter on the silly belief that people have short attention spans like most modern FPS fans have?

Have you not heard of Skyrim. smile.gif

But I get what you saying.

San An and IV had a good amount of missions and story time, I liked that they put a trophy/achievement on IV - Liberty City Minute - complete the story in under 30 hours. The next one should have the same trophy, maybe even upgrade it to 35 hours. The story telling in GTA games is the cornerstone of it's success, and while IV's multi player was the 1st time I had ever gotten into online gaming (not massively, but I did spend alot of time racing and in deathmaches), it did not detract from the writers story telling. Now I did not like the IV story, but that doesn't mean I cant see that they put alot of effort and thought into it - they clearly did, and I think that it's a trend that will always continue for as long as they don't bring 1 out each year.

zeppelincheetah

I thought GTA IV was too long. I would rather them have a medium length story with tons of side missions and side activities than a long story with not as much side stuff.

GTA III and Vice City had the right length. San Andreas was long but it was also epic - changing drastically as you go to different locations. IV was only in Liberty City and the story was the same throughout - Niko needs money, people keep messing with his cousin and he's looking for someone. bored.gif

GTA IV and VCS are the only two GTA's that I didn't care about the story anymore and wanted to beat it just to get it over with.

I think a 40 hour story is fine, as long as there's plenty of other things to do.

TheShogunOfHarlem

Have you not heard of Skyrim. smile.gif

But I get what you saying.

Of course I have. It's why I play RPGs almost exclusively. It's why I love games like Mass Effect and Deus Ex:HR. Sadly ME3 has an MP element so I'm worried they might abandon vehicle combat or some other fun feature. I've abandoned FPS but sadly got tricked into buying Uncharted 3 with it's 8 hour campaign. I should have got the hint when Uncharted 3 marketing overemphasized MP over SP.

HAS to be a fun AND long story. if it's Long , it could also possibly be boring. If it's FUN it could be short. Has to meet in the middle. I'm not talking about medium story ( 50-70 missions ) I'm talking about a LONG AND FUN offline. Preferably 100+ missions, but they have to be fun and need MORE side missions. IV did that great with friends... but they need more of those blush.gif

I think it should be about GTA IV length. About 90 missions. That was pretty good length and I think it could of gotten pretty repetitive if the tried to stretch it out longer.

The thing I've always like about GTA is you can pick it up for a few hours each day and not worry that your about to finish the game in a week.

I liked the story is SA because it just got epic and a bit stupid by the end. Flying jets and steeling other military hardware etc. But I also liked IV because it was a more realistic story. You didn't go from nothing to the very top, it was rags to slightly better rags.

John The Grudge

I honestly don't know why people equate length with quality. Like a film, a game's story has to be well paced. If it goes on for too long then it'll get boring. MW3 takes just under 6 hours to complete and I thought it was fun, exciting and perfectly paced. Do you think it would have been more enjoyable if it was 40 hours long?

It's a story at the end of the day. It has to run it's natural course. If that means it's a short game then so be it. As long as I feel I've got my moneys worth I'm happy. They could have padded MW3 with boring missions and pointless filler but that would have made it boring.

GTA games are typically quite long though so I think it'll be around 30 or 40 hours.

Dan Houser was saying back in November of 2009 in an interview with The Times (UK) that the script for the next game could lead into 1000 pages, now given this was 2 years ago and GTA V was said to be in very early development, this of course could have and most likely would have changed. If it has been set in stone however by Rockstar that they are sticking to 1000 pages, I can presume that we won't be disappointed for sure.

Source: http://www.gta4.net/news/single.php?id=4375

Long. San Andreas was a good length. I'm not a huge multiplayer person. Knowing Rockstar they'll still create a long storyline as usual.

Hmmm i like this topic, i would like say GTA IV x2 but again how much is to much not for the story (The Bigger The Better) but how much can you fit in a game for Xbox Ps3 & PC (PC well unlimited ) how much Gb's can you put in for the consoles ? does any 1 know ? having in mind GTA IV was 16Gb's in size if they can Double that for me & every 1 than well i think we all would be happy campers .

I bit out there Quote a 100gb GTA game well hehehe i want that 1 ....!

PS they were very secretive about showing us how big the place is so i think it will be massive ....

I also like the look of the game Its not so cluster f*cked like GTA IV.

i just cant wait.... lol.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

ps this link i loved it.....http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/bonusround/510?ch=2

Edited by loony979

Harwood Butch3r
I honestly don't know why people equate length with quality. Like a film, a game's story has to be well paced. If it goes on for too long then it'll get boring. MW3 takes just under 6 hours to complete and I thought it was fun, exciting and perfectly paced. Do you think it would have been more enjoyable if it was 40 hours long?

It's a story at the end of the day. It has to run it's natural course. If that means it's a short game then so be it. As long as I feel I've got my moneys worth I'm happy. They could have padded MW3 with boring missions and pointless filler but that would have made it boring.

GTA games are typically quite long though so I think it'll be around 30 or 40 hours.

I agree. I've seen some 80 minute movies that I've enjoyed more than some 3 hour ones. As you said there needs to be a balance.

25-30 hours is fine IMO. It seems to be the golden length for most sandbox/open world games. If it was 10 hours though it would be disappointing, but I have faith R* can maintain the 25-30 hour mark.

The longer the story the better. It's not as if when you play the game you always stick 100% to the story, so why not make it long as possible?

If the story indeed is very good, then longer is better. GTAIV had a nice length to the story, then again some missions were just drive around, do that and that. Not very connected to the main story. But now as i see it, it makes sense. Going out of story sometimes to earn money or something is good. I just can't say these things unless i have some clue what the story is about.

ikillionaire ii

I think the size of the map will add to the longevity but I think gtaIV was good length but hope V is longer I dont wana be stuck playing 100 hours though biggrin.gif 40hrs I think would be about right

Whatever happens, they should make sure that they focus on quality, instead of simply aiming for the longest possible story.

I do want a story of length, and I'm sure we will get a very long one, but at the same time, if they start to feel that they're dragging it on for the sake for a longer story, it may be time to cut it down a bit.

jesusismyairbag

something along the lines of Red Dead Redemptions length, but with stuff to do after the story (like RDR, but abit more... you know) anything is fine really, though...

G1T

as many have said, im not a multiplayer person so i want a long ass story

this is GTA, the storys are always long and totally awesome, same as it is in most rockstar games, rockstar tell stories like no others, red dead was very long game,