GTA V to be the last game for current consoles.

cousinletsgobowling

cousinletsgobowling

I'm sure this may have been discussed before. I was initially disappointed that Rockstar did not try to base the story somewhere new, somewhere fresh like say Europe.

When they announced Los Santos for V I thought to myself, why are they coming back here? It’s been done already with GTA SA (with 3 cities in total). Now it’s just Los Santos and its surrounds.

Then I thought more about it and I think Rockstar want to leave this current console generation with a bang. In every Rockstar game they always up the stakes. They always include new things with every game, not just in quantity but quality. Every Rockstar game seems to have some improvement over the last.

With V I believe they’re going to add a little something from each Rockstar game released so far. When Rockstar mentioned ‘Bold New Direction’ when describing V I thought to myself it won’t be any radical departure but a slight tweaking in improvements. In summary it would still have the Rage engine(with some tweaking) with the biggest map released from RS so far, combined with more variety of things to do than SA.

Think about it. What’s been done with previous RS games (RDR – animals, TBOGT – nightclubs, VC-buying business’s) anything you can think of will most likely be included in V.

Because when the next console generations come out (Playstation, XBOX, Wii?) Rockstar I believe are going to add entire countries. Can you imagine RS recreating their own versions of Italy with every city in it? Or perhaps most of Western Europe? Don’t think it can be done? With the PS3 blu ray discs capable of 50g (and I’m sure Microsoft will try to follow suit with their own high capacity discs) each GTA will just get bigger and badder.

I remember reading somewhere that one of the Housers was saying something not venturing out of the USA, can anyone back me up on that?

Entire countries in next gen? Are you mad? People over estimate the power of the next generation of consoles and they forget "next gen" is already here. Want to know what the graphics will be like and what they can do? Just look at current high end PC games. I expect next gen we'll see a state, at most. However, there's no point creating a MASSIVE map as it means you can't make all of it up to a very high level of detail, or make use of all of it. Also like someone else stated, Rockstar will only really do America, for GTA games at least. It's hard to parody European countries and honestly it just wouldn't work well in a GTA game, nor would it make sense everything being England when you're walking around in the middle of Italy. Rockstar knows this and if I recall they have talked about this them selves somewhere

But anyway, I also believe that all of Rockstar's games this console cycle have been games they've used to experiment new features, new systems and other stuff for their baby. GTA is and always will be their biggest game. I reckon Rockstar have learned a lot from IV, the expansions, LA Noire and RDR and they'll be definitely taking all the good things from those games and putting them in V.

I agree, this will be the San Andreas (PS2, Xbox) of this generation! It will be the last game of the console cycle as far as Grand Theft Auto's go, but it will bring the magnitude that San Andreas brought to the table with last-gen consoles.

They're going all out on this one, folks! It's going to be one hell of a game. Anyone who thinks Rockstar will disappoint is a madman.

Finn 7 five 11
Want to know what the graphics will be like and what they can do? Just look at current high end PC games.

That is not really an accurate representation of what next gen consoles will do, the games for PC are the same as console, but you can increase res, distance, sharpness of textures.

It doesn't really make the game far above the rest.

When they announced Los Santos for V I thought to myself, why are they coming back here? It’s been done already with GTA SA (with 3 cities in total). Now it’s just Los Santos and its surrounds.

It is the same name but it will be a very different place to the original San Andreas,

Probably we will get the game, some DLCs, a DLC "boxed version" and on to the next gen.

And I understand why they returned to LA.

San Andreas made no justice to LA.

Probably we will get the game, some DLCs, a DLC "boxed version" and on to the next gen.

And I understand why they returned to LA.

San Andreas made no justice to LA.

i agree San Andreas definitely didn't to L.A. any justice

I think the reason why we won't see a GTA outside the USA is because everyone knows the USA.

Or, at last, the USA that the movies try to portray.

I'm Brazilian, never traveled to North America, but I can understand any and all jokes the GTA games make, about USA politics, the way they do news, the way politics work and so on.

But as much as I would love to see Rio de Janeiro portrayed on a GTA game, I'm sure 99% of the players wouldn't get a "Mensalão" joke, or a joke about the fact that people never record locals speaking in movies/games, or jokes about the "Microwave" , or "Elite Troop", or "Silas Malafaia". There is a lot of funny things to come from my City, but the problem is that nobody other than us, locals, are used to these things.

And the same thing goes for the rest of the World.

As much as I like european cinema, I can't say I'm familiar with any of these countries as much as I am with USA.

GabrielBarbosa
I think the reason why we won't see a GTA outside the USA is because everyone knows the USA.

I'm Brazilian, never traveled to North America, but I can understand any and all jokes the GTA games make, about USA politics, the way they do news, the way politics work and so on.

But as much as I would love to see Rio de Janeiro portrayed on a GTA game, I'm sure 99% of the players wouldn't get a "Mensalão" joke, or a joke about the fact that people never record locals speaking in movies/games, or jokes about the "Microwave" , or "Elite Troop", or "Silas Malafaia". There is a lot of funny things to come from my City, but the problem is that nobody other than us, locals, are used to these things.

As much as I like european cinema, I can't say I'm familiar with any of these countries as much as I am with USA.

Eu creio que alguns anos alguma produtora faça um jogo baseado no RJ. biggrin.gif

será bem legal, talvez baseado nessa UPP, Unidade de policia pacificadora.

a rockstar, ele cometeu um pequeno erro no Max payne 3, basea-se na cidade de São Paulo e New York, mas são paulo não e a cidade conhecia pelo Funk e Samba.

pessoal de lá é tudo rockeiro, uns roqueiros viados também. etc haha' lol.gif

I remember reading somewhere that one of the Housers was saying something not venturing out of the USA, can anyone back me up on that?

this! I'm pretty sure i saw that too.

Eu creio que alguns anos alguma produtora faça um jogo baseado no RJ. biggrin.gif

será bem legal, talvez baseado nessa UPP, Unidade de policia pacificadora.

a rockstar, ele cometeu um pequeno erro no Max payne 3, basea-se na cidade de São Paulo e New York, mas são paulo não e a cidade conhecia pelo Funk e Samba.

pessoal de lá é tudo rockeiro, uns roqueiros viados também. etc haha' lol.gif

Hmmm, cant see that working dude.

I was initially disappointed that Rockstar did not try to base the story somewhere new, somewhere fresh like say Europe.

Same here bro, but shouldn't make the game any less good

Intstringeger

An entire country in a game? No way, the size of the map is limited not only by the technology but also by what's humanly possible for the designers to do.

I like huge maps as much as the next person, but I don't think we can expect to have bigger and bigger maps each time.

An entire country in a game? No way, the size of the map is limited not only by the technology but also by what's humanly possible for the designers to do.

I like huge maps as much as the next person, but I don't think we can expect to have bigger and bigger maps each time.

Exactly. People seem to forget about the fact that designers have to design these things from scratch, building by building, lamp post by lamp post.

Unless they change the way games are developed at some point in time, gaming maps will take ages to build.

Because when the next console generations come out (Playstation, XBOX, Wii?) Rockstar I believe are going to add entire countries. Can you imagine RS recreating their own versions of Italy with every city in it? Or perhaps most of Western Europe? Don’t think it can be done? With the PS3 blu ray discs capable of 50g (and I’m sure Microsoft will try to follow suit with their own high capacity discs) each GTA will just get bigger and badder.

This is not tech limited. You can already include an entire country in a DVD9-sized game if you're clever about it. The whole thing is limited by development time. Basically, you'd need an art team of current size for every city you want to recreate, plus for areas in between. Can you imagine a budget of such a game?

The only way we'll see truly huge games is with procedural environments. And that stuff is catching up, but the limitations are still not technological. It has nothing to do with console generation.

Prior to filing a bug against any of my code, please consider this response to common concerns.

Vegetarian Piranha
The whole thing is limited by development time.

development times aye, so by the time 'V' is done it wont only feature Los Santos but a whole universe biggrin.gif

just kidding.

Yup, GTA is going to go out with a bang for this generation of consoles. Just like San Andreas of last gen. It really is exciting. Look at the leap from Vice City to San Andreas. I can only imagine what GTA V will bring.

Kind of a shame we won't see Vice City this generation

Well if I can assume the pattern correctly it may be GTA VI. But for next gen obviously. But one thing at a time, lol.

Kind of a shame we won't see Vice City this generation

Well if I can assume the pattern correctly it may be GTA VI. But for next gen obviously. But one thing at a time, lol.

Or we can assume the pattern to be:

GTA III

GTA Vice City

GTA San Andreas

and

GTA IV

GTA V

GTA VI

And then the nextgen.

GTA whatever

GTA whatever

GTA whatever