help! Will PS3 play PS2 Games.

luis tbogt

im getting a ps3 for christmas and i wanna know if i can play ps2 games on it coz i wanna buy sa. plz answer!

Taken from Wikipeadia:

"All models support software emulation of the original PlayStation, but support for PlayStation 2 backward compatibility has continually diminished with later models and the last model to advertise integrated backward compatibility was the 80GB Metal Gear Solid 4 Bundle. Compatibility issues with games for both systems are detailed in a public database hosted by the manufacturer."

Some models have backward compability, others do not.

EDIT: I suggest you buy San Andreas for PC though.

Edited by Columbo

UberChargedCJ

you must have a FAT ps3

or buy a PS3 slim the ps3 slim can let you to play NTSC games from united states and japan

in ps3 there is something called playstation store with classic playstation 2 games

Edited by UberChargedCJ

you must have a FAT ps3

Not all fat PS3's offer backward compability.

A quick Google search gave me this:

Backward compatible NTSC PS3s:

20GB (4 USB slots, fat, no longer in production) - YES

60GB (4 USB slots, fat, no longer in production) - YES

80GB with 4 USB slots (fat, no longer in production, bundled with MGS4 or Motor Storm) - YES

Backward compatible PAL PS3:

60GB - 99% of PS2 games (can only be bought used)

80GB with 4 USB slots (fat, no longer in production, bundled with MGS4 or Motor Storm) - YES

That is false i'm afraid, as I have a regular 80GB PS3(NOT Slim model) and it does NOT play PS2 games...Just a friendly heads up. tounge2.gif

But, OT, since the Slim models are the ONLY ones sold now a days, you will not get backwards compatibilty with PS2 games-you still must keep your PS2 to play those games.

Yea like they said, you need a certain ps3, I think it's 40gb or 80gb. Slims and the others don't work, I have a slim but I kept my ps2 for the ps2 games.

Yea like they said, you need a certain ps3, I think it's 40gb or 80gb. Slims and the others don't work, I have a slim but I kept my ps2 for the ps2 games.

Actually, it's just the 20GB and 60GB models-the 40GB and 80GB do not have backwards compatibilty with PS2 games. Since the 20GB and 60GB are not sold anymore, that means you cannot get one with backwards compatibilty.

That is false i'm afraid, as I have a regular 80GB PS3(NOT Slim model) and it does NOT play PS2 games...Just a friendly heads up

you should be able to play SA, on both Fat & slim PS3 if i'm also correct PS3 can also play PlaystationX(PSX/PS1) Games too.

Finn 7 five 11

Columbo has it right except for the 80gb like radioman said.

All PS3's play PS1 games.

I would suggest buying a used PS2 slim they are very cheap used, and they last a long time, hell my PS2 fat still works and i got it for christmas 10 years ago.

you should be able to play SA, on both Fat & slim PS3 if i'm also correct PS3 can also play PlaystationX(PSX/PS1) Games too.

You DO know that SA is a PS2(Playstation 2) game and NOT a PS1(Playstation 1) game right?-So, How do you figure the PS3 will play SA with NO backwards compatibilty with PS2(Playstation 2) games, unless you have the 20GB OR 60GB models? Just curious on that one. confused.gif

I have confirmed that the 80GB(fat-NOT slim) model, which I have, DOES NOT play PS2 games...This is why I still have my PS2 Slim-for PS2 games. Just a friendly heads up. tounge2.gif

UberChargedCJ
you must have a FAT ps3

Not all fat PS3's offer backward compability.

A quick Google search gave me this:

Backward compatible NTSC PS3s:

20GB (4 USB slots, fat, no longer in production) - YES

60GB (4 USB slots, fat, no longer in production) - YES

Backward compatible PAL PS3:

60GB - 99% of PS2 games (can only be bought used)

does PAL ps3 supports NTSC?

thx guys... but this is really confusing so ive decide ill just get a ps3 for Christmas then buy a cheap preowned ps2 for my birthday next year coz im really confused. but thx anyway