Cruising

SCLASS

Driving in GTA San Andreas was cool, driving in GTA IV was awesome!

The only thing, that GTA IV Map didn't have is countryside. The imense detail, the great driving physics and the grafics let me allways take an comet and drive on the Plumbers Skyway or the Union Drive. I can drive so often on the streets of LC, i'm not going to be bored. In SA and the others III-Era games, after some time it get's boring and you will more.

I'm also very happy, that there will be highways and roads through the countryside.

with the 'corridor' system I was speaking of, or whatever R* implement , I would like to be able to drive into the middle of nowhere, get out the car and just listen to the wind - watch the wildlife (i can hope) and watch the sun go down . Its this contrast too perhaps a nightclub or the bustling CBD that really makes a game world seem huge and a journey really a journey.

Now, after Rockstar has taken GTA to a new level of fidelity with IV, it's time to expand on that level in depth. Read:

1UP: GTA4 seems like a bit of a harder sell, because players might look at it after playing San Andreas and say, well, you've pruned features. It doesn't have the suburbs, the planes, the working out to build up your character....

SH: When we first started talking about the game, the first map that we were all looking at here...it was f***ing enormous. It was the logical move on from San Andreas. You had the Catskills, the Adirondacks. I'd only been to the Adirondacks once; it took me six hours to get there! It's f***ing miles away. And the more we looked at it, the more we thought, "How are we gonna achieve the level of fidelity?" How are we going to increase the resolution of the experience -- not just the graphics but the experience, the gravity of everything, the weight of every action, the intensity of everything -- if we just go farther and farther out? The more we chatted about that as a group...the more it started to shrink down. The more it became a traditional, what you think of as a "New York City" kind of environment. It was a very conscious thing.

Cruising in GTA V will monopolize fun as you never could have expected, because of the vast, diverse map you will be playing in.

I just loved to cruise in the countryside and in the dessert on SA inlove.gif Hopefully we can have long journeys in very big countryside in GTA V turn.gif

The thing about IV is, it's New York. You don't, y'know, just cruise down Broadway. The traffic's quite hectic.

Not like I don't always find myself cruising down Albany Ave, though tounge2.gif

But anyways, since V's Los Angeles, it's pretty obvious that it's gonna be easy to cruise down Santa Monica in the sunset, or whatever, wherever. Something I'm definitely looking forward to!

8wjrzl.png

Aside from my active patrol out in Red County, I too just love to take my black Rancher out on the road and just cruise when I'm off duty. Nothing better than the sounds of the cars passing on the opposite side and K-Rose on the radio. Got to love it out here.

FAIL!

CLICK ME!

CLICK ME!

CLICK ME!

Excuse me, but do you have a problem with the games you just linked to? I for one loved BOTH of them. Test Drive Unlimited 2 was full of bugs (I'll give you that much) but it was a lot of fun to play, especially when the modders got done with it. Actively do patrol on that game as it's pretty damn fun to chase down speeders cool.gif

NFS: Hot Pursuit. Probably personal preference but yet another enjoyable game. If I recall, the newest one, NFS: The Run, which I now own biggrin.gif was actually getting negative reviews when being compared to NFS: Hot Pursuit. That's saying something; something like:

"NFS: Hot Pursuit was a GOOD GAME!!!"

Conclusion:

This is a GTA FORUM! Please keep it GTA-related! And, furthermore, I just proved that both these games are good. If you don't like them, that is your opinion, but please keep it to yourself.

And one for you:

EPIC FAIL @ NFS HOT PURSUIT!!!

It has quite often been said that a lot of peeps here enjoyed just getting in a car and going for a drive in SA - Im one of them. Strangely, driving in GTA4 , like real life, feels a little stressful, a little hemmed in. There isnt really the feeling of going anywhere in IV as there was in SA.

I am hoping for a stretch of road at least 4 miles long , perhaps a freeway, that allows me to really get some speed up and for some time, Im not talking of 'cheating' like SA did with circuitous routes designed to make the gamer feel as though he was travelling a long way without actually doing so. LA Noire, at least from the map ( I havent played it) seems to have the right sort of map layout. I would like a map that included towns maybe 10 , 15 miles away without R* having to design a map 30 by 30 miles (which would not happen on this gen), think of a standard GTA map but with 'spider leg' corridors, perhaps valleys...essentially a way to allow long trips to far towns without a huge map in sq miles.

These 'corridor' areas would go against the f reeroam concept but it would only be in those particular roads to long distant places. In essence the best of both worlds, a decent size but not gigantic map with select far off places to visit.

Agreed. Im definately looking forward to just going for a drive around in the surrounding countryside.

I would like it too if traffic and pedestrian levels realistically reflected the surrounding environments. It always frustrated me in San Andreas that the rural roads were often as heavily congested as in the cities. I would love in V to be able to just drive out to some remote country roads and encounter virtually no other cars. Perfect for high speed driving, and also a good incentive not to total your car, unless of course you fancy going several miles through the wilderness on foot.

It would also be good if at night time the streets have very little traffic and be virtually empty of pedestrians (with the exception of gang members, drug dealers and generally people you dont want to bump into).

I don't know about anyone else here but I rarely mow down peds or cause a lot of trouble beyond the main missions, I just like driving around and experiencing the city ( and some country soon). I do hope that the top speed of cars is increased over IV. The PC speedo , which I have checked for accuracy by time over distance shows that the sports cars only hit around 95 mph . Yes it may make the map seem small, but a realistic speed is needed.

I do have some hope regarding this issue. The jet that screams across downtown in the trailer was really shifting, not something you could do in SA with the enforced 'speed limit' of the game engine.

walkingsickness
It has quite often been said that a lot of peeps here enjoyed just getting in a car and going for a drive in SA - Im one of them. Strangely, driving in GTA4 , like real life, feels a little stressful, a little hemmed in. There isnt really the feeling of going anywhere in IV as there was in SA.

I am hoping for a stretch of road at least 4 miles long , perhaps a freeway, that allows me to really get some speed up and for some time, Im not talking of 'cheating' like SA did with circuitous routes designed to make the gamer feel as though he was travelling a long way without actually doing so. LA Noire, at least from the map ( I havent played it) seems to have the right sort of map layout. I would like a map that included towns maybe 10 , 15 miles away without R* having to design a map 30 by 30 miles (which would not happen on this gen), think of a standard GTA map but with 'spider leg' corridors, perhaps valleys...essentially a way to allow long trips to far towns without a huge map in sq miles.

These 'corridor' areas would go against the f reeroam concept but it would only be in those particular roads to long distant places. In essence the best of both worlds, a decent size but not gigantic map with select far off places to visit.

I agree with you completely. I think that the combination of driving and listen to music...and every once in a while shooting at the cars next to you, gives you a calming feeling.

Agreed. Im definately looking forward to just going for a drive around in the surrounding countryside.

I would like it too if traffic and pedestrian levels realistically reflected the surrounding environments. It always frustrated me in San Andreas that the rural roads were often as heavily congested as in the cities. I would love in V to be able to just drive out to some remote country roads and encounter virtually no other cars. Perfect for high speed driving, and also a good incentive not to total your car, unless of course you fancy going several miles through the wilderness on foot.

It would also be good if at night time the streets have very little traffic and be virtually empty of pedestrians (with the exception of gang members, drug dealers and generally people you dont want to bump into).

I agree with this. I always found it stupid how in SA, you could be driving in the middle of nowhere and still see traffic at two in the morning. Another thing that pisses me off about GTA is the lack of side streets and general residential streets where there's very little traffic compared to regular roads. At east R* seem to have learned the concept of a six lane road, judging by the trailer.

I hope there´s gonna be a f*cking long desert road with very low traffic of course, maybe like this one?? sigh.gif

user posted image

My name is Kunta Kinte 9000, and you can Kunta-kiss my ass!

I love cruising, in fact i love it so much i have been doing it since San andreas. The countryside as so many people have said is the perfect place to cruise. Will be nice to do some rallying in the dirt tounge.gif. I just cannot effing wait for this game to come out. Im desperate for a release date so i can cool down.

This is what I would like in downtown LS (yeah, I know it's more or less impossible on current gen consoles, but a man can dream, right?)

user posted image

This is what I expect of a highway a little further out of town.

user posted image

san andreas is my favorite game ever i remember playing it pretending i was a trailer truck driver(man i loved trailers in that game) driving on the highway in that game removed all the stress from me

Or having a Tower to tow someone's car and cruising around the whole SA.

When done, dump the Tower and the driver in that towered car in the sea and save your game lol

G1T

This whole thread is beautiful. I also loved driving in the country in GTA SA and I am greatly looking forward to desert, offroad and country driving in GTA V.

There was also kind of a weird lonely atmosphere in the GTA SA desert with the little towns, the Big Ear, the dam, the Area 51, all of that. It was strangely calming, as many have said in this topic.

This whole thread is beautiful. I also loved driving in the country in GTA SA and I am greatly looking forward to desert, offroad and country driving in GTA V.

There was also kind of a weird lonely atmosphere in the GTA SA desert with the little towns, the Big Ear, the dam, the Area 51, all of that. It was strangely calming, as many have said in this topic.

Yes, it is.

The atmosphere is strangely calming at the places you mentioned.

And listen to music of the right radio stations fits perfect at these place.

And btw, the dust particle effects looks really very nice in the trailer.

G1T

I love the long drives. That's why I'm personally hoping Sunset Blvd, or a parody of it, is in this game. Maybe Sunrise Blvd? The road is 24 miles long.

Well personally I love driving around in a comet in IV but I remember doing the 'are you going to san fierro?' mission the first time in SA and I accidently took the longer way to get there, was the most epic drive ever with Truth.

FAIL!

CLICK ME!

CLICK ME!

CLICK ME!

Excuse me, but do you have a problem with the games you just linked to?

Not at all! I actually really like those games. I was only suggesting them to the OP because they feature cruising.

user posted image

Gtaplayaminigun

Hell yeah. Nothing can beat the feeling of hitting top speeds with an nrg or a nitro fitted infernus on a highway moving inside the country.

I'm glad people really agree with the OP. It's things like that I really missed with IV. It's the sort of thing wasn't as discussed much when San Andreas was out and I took it for granted that it would be back.

I hope Rockstar are listening to this kind of stuff. It's a simple thing in a game that we cherish so much. I love detail etc but I worry Rockstar is going to neglect the little things like a nice scenic drive in favour of the city more faith fully recreated or some thing.

I had a topic about cruising and listening to radio stations that were relative to the area. Like the desert had K-DST and the countryside had K-Rose. I thought it was genius. There was a soundtrack for the places you were geographically.

I was this to return. If I'm cruising down a deserty/country area give me a radio station specifically to compliment it. I don't want to be listening to some crappy pop west coast mainstream producer with stupid glasses ruining my buzz.

herounderfireza
I had a topic about cruising and listening to radio stations that were relative to the area. Like the desert had K-DST and the countryside had K-Rose. I thought it was genius. There was a soundtrack for the places you were geographically.

I was this to return. If I'm cruising down a deserty/country area give me a radio station specifically to compliment it.

Exactly my thoughts in that topic.

I want to see that back in LS. This is really the only thing that will disappoint me if it's not in GTA V.

I agree completely. I love to just cruise around and feel like I'm in a living world but you just couldn't do it in Liberty City. It was too stop start due to the way the city was structured. It would be great for me if they did manage to do some kind of traffic system based on location and time, would make it feel so much realistic and living.

Also hope they remove that annoying thing in SA. You're driving at top speeds down the county road, nothing in front to ruin your drive, just you and the road. You look in the rear view, then look back and out of nowhere 15 cars and 4 lorries have just appeared and they all crash into each other.

Also, pissing down that desert highway reminds me of...

During twiglight heading to Las Venturas! inlove.gif