Cruising

SCLASS

It has quite often been said that a lot of peeps here enjoyed just getting in a car and going for a drive in SA - Im one of them. Strangely, driving in GTA4 , like real life, feels a little stressful, a little hemmed in. There isnt really the feeling of going anywhere in IV as there was in SA.

I am hoping for a stretch of road at least 4 miles long , perhaps a freeway, that allows me to really get some speed up and for some time, Im not talking of 'cheating' like SA did with circuitous routes designed to make the gamer feel as though he was travelling a long way without actually doing so. LA Noire, at least from the map ( I havent played it) seems to have the right sort of map layout. I would like a map that included towns maybe 10 , 15 miles away without R* having to design a map 30 by 30 miles (which would not happen on this gen), think of a standard GTA map but with 'spider leg' corridors, perhaps valleys...essentially a way to allow long trips to far towns without a huge map in sq miles.

These 'corridor' areas would go against the f reeroam concept but it would only be in those particular roads to long distant places. In essence the best of both worlds, a decent size but not gigantic map with select far off places to visit.

I always start cruising around the whole SA after started up a savegame.

And then listen to the music, a cleo mod wich makes the interiorview cam possible.

Now that's really fun to do.

IV size is a letdown, too small and only buidlings.

There is no sh*t to do in IV except mission, missions, and missions.

G1T

It has quite often been said that a lot of peeps here enjoyed just getting in a car and going for a drive in SA - Im one of them. Strangely, driving in GTA4 , like real life, feels a little stressful, a little hemmed in. There isnt really the feeling of going anywhere in IV as there was in SA.

I am hoping for a stretch of road at least 4 miles long , perhaps a freeway, that allows me to really get some speed up and for some time, Im not talking of 'cheating' like SA did with circuitous routes designed to make the gamer feel as though he was travelling a long way without actually doing so. LA Noire, at least from the map ( I havent played it) seems to have the right sort of map layout. I would like a map that included towns maybe 10 , 15 miles away without R* having to design a map 30 by 30 miles (which would not happen on this gen), think of a standard GTA map but with 'spider leg' corridors, perhaps valleys...essentially a way to allow long trips to far towns without a huge map in sq miles.

These 'corridor' areas would go against the f reeroam concept but it would only be in those particular roads to long distant places. In essence the best of both worlds, a decent size but not gigantic map with select far off places to visit.

im totally with you on this! i loved sa for the distances u could really make. a car made sense in sa, and when u travelled it actually seemed like u made distance ( a trip...). Gta IV is just too small and boring for some reason. the highways dont even look or feel like highways. i hope that like in the real LA they have square blocks with the 3x3 wide surface roads around neighborhoods and stuff with the neighborhoods within. but then again not a block wich u can drive around in 20 sec :)in gta iv .. neighborhoods were like a 10 sec drive lol. also like what u said i hope they have cities that are like atleast a 5 min drive though nature over a highway or something. i really hope its going to atleast represent the typical sprawl of la. well see

Edited by Flyer922

I totally agree too.

I loved driving out to the countryside in SA with the country radio station on, it seemed to take forever to get to places and I really liked that.

I hope GTA V delivers some space and opportunities to do this.

one of my favorite things to do in SA was get on a NRG 500 or a fast car and just drive around the map. i loved the long roads in the desert.

Yea I feel the same way. GTA IV didn't really have "cruising". All I did on that game was pretty much drive as fast as I can up and down the middle island (Alqonquin or something?) when I wanted to drive about on MP. Where as on SA I loved driving around the different areas, from the deserts to around Chilliad, the Vinewood country side and around the 3 cities which all felt completely different to one another. Speaking of variety, I hope all the areas of V feel unique and different, and all have their own reasons to be a cool area to mess about it in. Go play IV online and people only ever mess around in two areas: the airport and the middle island. Apart from when they're getting Sultan RS or a Maverick, no one ever visits the final island.

I agree. Long distance drives would be great. There were times in San Andreas like you felt that you could end up somewhere REALLY off the beaten path.

Yeah those long drives in SA where pretty awesome, though one of hte first missions you do with Cesar you have to drive loads and if you failed that mission it was pretty annoying having to do that over again <_< I remember that "fondly"...

I loved going on roadtrips in SA. Driving was quite fun because of all the different environments and terrains. IV wasn't quite as fun for cruising.

I loved going on roadtrips in SA. Driving was quite fun because of all the different environments and terrains. IV wasn't quite as fun for cruising.

But was cruising gneerally that fun in GTA III or Vice City? i mean appart fromt he awesome music it wasn't that great either... though I always loved driving around in Mafia Sentinals biggrin.gif

But... I think no GTA game is compareable to SA when it comes down to atmosphere and exploration. So I guess it's a given that it's the most fun "cruising" city.

But was cruising gneerally that fun in GTA III or Vice City? i mean appart fromt he awesome music it wasn't that great either... though I always loved driving around in Mafia Sentinals biggrin.gif

But... I think no GTA game is compareable to SA when it comes down to atmosphere and exploration. So I guess it's a given that it's the most fun "cruising" city.

This is why i consider San Andreas to be the greatest game EVER. Aside from just being AWESOME in terms of gameplay, the sheer size and variety of the map was revolutionary.

StellarFish20
I would love to cruise the Countryside.

So would I, in a rancher.

i'd love to just be able to cruise around town.

This is why i consider San Andreas to be the greatest game EVER. Aside from just being AWESOME in terms of gameplay, the sheer size and variety of the map was revolutionary.

It was a great game that really covered lot's of different aspects.

Personally I'm not someone who's in to the entire hiphop and R&B scene. But back than, it was pure man, now you got a bunch of idiots trying to be chipmunks on every record they make...

But I mean, you start off in the gangbanger culture and you slowly climb out of that and get mixed up in all different kinds of stuff. ...

That game was definatly all round the best GTA game, still though there's so many fun memories I hae from GTA III & VC... I can't really say "I love SA more than GTA III" or vice versa, I have very fond memories of every single one of the GTA titles... and they all have an extremely high replay value.

Agree with the OP.

Amongst all the fun that could be had in San Andreas, this is the one aspect I missed most in IV. Hard to explain, but it was that serene feeling I missed.. be it travelling from Los Santos along the south west coastline along Angel Pines, Mount Chiliad to San Fierro or San Fierro through Bone County to Las Venturas and back to Los Santos. Didn't have to be this route but just giving a picture of the travel. Couple this with soundtrack, whatever the radio station and tbf, it was beyond awesome. If only Vice City was as big as San Andreas, or at least far bigger than it's eventual design. The 80s soundtrack would have been that bit more special than it already was.

My favorite part of GTA San Andreas was the highways and being able to drive long distances at high speeds. The only thing that I hated about the highways was the traffic. First off, there is way too much in the middle of nowhere and they drive like idiots! Changing lanes abruptly at 100mph without signaling was the worst thing. If they make the AI better, I am excited!

In SA i did it with a jet really fun to do, in IV i did it only when there was a fast car.

I definetly would like to have a highway.

I used to split screen with my brother in SA and get a truck, pick up a trailer and drove to places for deliveries. Felt awesome to have freedom in a game like that. Could you imagine you and a few friends in V get a semi and trailer, drive for a while, or do something online with a limo... (taken out of IV's free roam for no reason at all.) Or even drive someone to the airport and fly them where they want. Things like that were amazing to me and I can't imagine how great they would be with 15 friends.

Well since I live in New York, I thought it was pretty interesting to go for a drive in IV. I do agree that SA was better in this regard- mainly because I enjoyed the vast expanse of the countryside.

I agree with you on that. The best you could really do in IV was drive from Northern Alderney to Southern Broker or something. Still, it didn't feel like you were really going anywhere. Even though the cities weren't that far away from each other in SA, it was nice having the feeling of actually going somewhere in SA. That being said, I'm hoping for some countryside in V.

Harwood Butch3r

IV size is a letdown, too small and only buidlings.

Have you ever seen a map overlay of GTA IV's and SA's maps? I mean of course SA is bigger, but GTA IV's map is not "too small". What do you think of GTA III's LC and VC then? They would probably barely take up the area occupied by Bohan, Dukes and Broker.

Anyway I can undestand what the OP means, but the immersion of a "road trip" in SA isn't as good as it used to be when it only takes a few minutes to circumnavigate the entire map.

I hope if the reports are true of it being much bigger than SA that there's a real "road trip" feeling. If I'm out in the countryside I want to feel like I'm miles/kilometres away from the heart of LS.

ohhh yere i cant wait to do this. & Yes GTA IV was a cluster f*k wasn it . like jees ,i get it ,it was the city & all but what real space did we even had the Airport ;P; ....This game will turn some heads thats for sure.....''

SA ,even mount chilard was a jouney in it. & with no dout these mountains wil be fun for hrs .

Driving in SA = pure simplicity ... biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I am hoping for a stretch of road at least 4 miles long
Me too. Make it 40... tounge.gif

'Cruising along with no particular place to go while playing the radio' has always been one of my favorite activities in any GTA game.

SA was the most enjoyable game for cruisin'.

LA Noire, at least from the map ( I havent played it) seems to have the right sort of map layout.
Yeah, LA Noire's map is quite alright, although there is actually no countryside. But you get a perfect feel for LA.

However, the driving physics were poor.