Lighting has improved

SCLASS

Taking a look at the trailer frame by frame you can really see a lot of detail that is easily missed by watching it at normal speed. I highly recommend everyone downloads the 250mb file and take a real look at the details.

The lighting in V has certainly improved....take a look at the pic below and note the sharp shadows.

user posted image

As opposed to GTA IV ...

user posted image

I have noticed the sky has improved considerably too..

user posted image

GTAIV

user posted image

Shadows too me are a real 'uncanny valley' litmus test to me, its nice to see the engine having improved upon this. Check the beach gym scene for really fine shadow detail on the fence shadow overlayed on the floor. 'Sharp' shadows were something that PC users have enjoyed for so long, nice to see R* squeeze a little more power out of the consoles as well.

Edited by SCLASS

Lighting has a million times improved. I thought it was stunning in in Gta IV at the time, but this for sure takes it to the next level.

Keep in mind that it's been 3-4 years since the last game so it's no real surprise that they would update a lot of stuff, shadows being one of them.

I noticed a lot of small details like this in the trailer, I really do think R* have 'gone to town' with the next GTA.

@OP, that last pic of GTA IV is so misleading, makes it look so good, not often you see a street that realistically populated without mods sad.gif

FlavouredMilk
user posted image

That's a Beta screen. You shouldn't really use this as it may be misleading.

Shadows in GTA IV suffered from a lot of flickering especially for characters models, and even for static models like buildings, the shadows suffered from flickering but in a less form. In RDR, all this has been improved, with static models have sharp shadows, and for characters to have way less flickering shadows compared to GTA IV, and with a more realistic dynamically-changed length of shadows according to the angle of light, which is another thing the lightning system in GTA IV suffered from. From the trailer we have been shown, all improvements in this side of visuals were carried over to GTA V, so expect to see a better optimization for lightning and shadows this time, a next visual step.

user posted image

That's a Beta screen. You shouldn't really use this as it may be misleading.

wow, why does the beta screen make the game look better? mercie_blink.gif piss take... icon13.gif

and yes i agree, lighting wasnt great on IV, shadows, people, outlines, buildings flickered... wasnt nice to look at.

wow, why does the beta screen make the game look better?  mercie_blink.gif piss take...  icon13.gif

Because most probably the game wasn't achieving good frame rates -ie running smoothly- so they had to lower details (like for instance the traffic jams you see in a lot of beta shots, including the one you're quoting) in order to make it more playable.

On topic: I agree that there are some improvements in V's graphics but still, I can imperfections such as low-res textures, sh*tty ass blurry DOF that blurs anything 10 feet away..etc *cough* sh*tty console hardware*cough* tounge.gif

And tbh IV on maximum settings (without any mod) look 10 times better than this wink.gif. I'll have to wait and see what the PC version will look like though!

Edited by aidan87

wow, why does the beta screen make the game look better?  mercie_blink.gif piss take...  icon13.gif

Because most probably the game wasn't achieving good frame rates -ie running smoothly- so they had to lower details (like for instance the traffic jams you see in a lot of beta shots, including the one you're quoting) in order to make it more playable.

well then maybe they should have thought about this before taking these screen shots... because basically what they did was make the game looks amazing on images, then let every body down on release.

well then maybe they should have thought about this before taking these screen shots... because basically what they did was make the game looks amazing on images, then let every body down on release.

My friend, it's called marketing (imo) tounge.gif

But tbh, I wasn't really expecting the game to come out like this back then (at least the consoles version), I knew that they had to lower the graphics because in trailer 2 you can easily notice that the frame rate was sh*tty sometimes.

But tbh, I wasn't really expecting the game to come out like this back then,

i, foolishly.. did angry.gif

this kind of thing better not happen with V, i dont want them completely misleading us when it comes to screen shots.

you could say this time im ready for the disappointment, but in fact the opposite. i have high hopes for V (foolish?) i hope not R* -_-

But tbh, I wasn't really expecting the game to come out like this back then,

i, foolishly.. did angry.gif

this kind of thing better not happen with V, i dont want them completely misleading us when it comes to screen shots.

you could say this time im ready for the disappointment, but in fact the opposite. i have high hopes for V (foolish?) i hope not R* -_-

Your're not the only one, I thought the game would be like that too. I had to get mods to give me the game that Rockstar in a way should have given. confused.gif

I have noticed the sky has improved considerably too..

user posted image

Looking at that pic reminds me a lot of RDR...besides the buildings of course. I bet the sun/sky & of course rural areas will resemble RDR, which is awesome. And the part that gets me the most excited is its 2 years later, so it'll look even better than RDR, which makes my pants tight.

OP, don't presume that the movie footage is a real-time render... it might PLAY in real time but R* didn't necessarily record it that way!!!

Hopefully, some of the lighting technology they used in L.A. Noire has been brought over to GTA V. It was much better than GTA IV - things that should create reflections (e.g. water) did, and car headlights actually created shadows when people walked in front of them! I know Noire was on a different game engine, but the credits mentioned the R.A.G.E. Technology Group, so fingers crossed...

I agree with you in a way, but something tells me Los Santos is twice as lush as Liberty City ever was. Liberty was supposed to be moody. We were in autumn, people wore coats up to their chins and dark clouds hung over Algonquin like dirty washing on a line. With our latest venture to Los Santos, expect people in their swimwear, soaking up rays on towels like plants.

Yeah the lighting and the post-fx looks pretty good, but lets keep one thing in mind: How empty these screenshots looks.

Could R* had prefered to put less pedestrians/cars in exchange of better lighting effects?

To be fair I think Liberty City was supposed to be somewhat dark and damped place while Los Santos is usally very sunny place,but youre right the lighting has got better

To be fair I think Liberty City was supposed to be somewhat dark and damped place while Los Santos is usally very sunny place,but youre right the lighting has got better

I fully agree with that.

Watching the GTA V trailer I go 'Wow, this is amazing!' Then I go back and watch the first GTA IV trailer and realise how great the graphics looked in that too...hope that the trailer is representative of the game this time around. GTA IVs first trailer looked WAY better then the final game.

Finn 7 five 11

You dont need the file, i noticed those things just fine on the video, there has been a large improvement, with the lighting i like how they made it feel warm, which makes sense in L.A.