Relearning the map

GTA_getaway_driver

GTA_getaway_driver

Like every GTA we have played, we have been presented with a new map. Upon the first few days/weeks of playing a new GTA we are all utterly clueless of how to get around in this new environment R* sets before us. After a few days or weeks, we start to learn the map and start to get around fairly easily, remembering each street like you would in real life to get around and proceed with your daily lives.

So I ask my fellow players these few questions:

Has there ever been a GTA game where you knew exactly where you were going?

How long does it usually take you before you start to remember the map?

Has there ever been a GTA that you played, but after all the time you played it you just could not remember any details of the map?

When playing GTAIV, do you still use the GPS?

In GTAV, do you think R* will make the map much like the real LA, making it easy for real-life locals to get around and quickly learn the map?

How long do you think it will take you to learn the new map looking back on how long it took to learn past maps?

a bit premature to be asking all this for GTA V dont ya think.? cry.gif

ill learn it love it excel on it for sure .But we still no no idea on how big it realy is (4xSA) I HOPE HEHE... ph34r.gifwow.gif

Vegetarian Piranha

i dont use the gps much, i normaly look at the map and where i want to go, then try going there myself.

The only GTA i've ever memorised is Vice City, mainly because the map was quite small

Quite a while usually

Has there ever been a GTA that you played, but after all the time you played it you just could not remember any details of the map?

GTA: III I hardly remember the map & i've completed it twice

After completing it five times, I still do use the GPS, I think this feature makes it harder to remember because you don't pay much attention the the routes you're actually taking. In other GTAs, it'll just show you where on the map you need to go, not the actual roads to take so you end up remembering it better

In GTAV, do you think R* will make the map much like the real LA, making it easy for real-life locals to get around and quickly learn the map?

I'm not to sure to be honest

How long do you think it will take you to learn the new map looking back on how long it took to learn past maps?

Depends how big & complicated it is

1.Vice City (I could go around the map with my eyes close tounge.gif )

2.pretty fast,I like to go through the story and that usally helps.(you can be like "oh thats where I shot that guy in the face and took his car")

3.Hmmmmm nope I pretty much got them all down

4.Yes (but only because I liked hearing the lady go "Bing Bong" whenever you had to turn)

5.Yes (but IDK if it will make easier for locals though)

6.I think about a day or two depending on how fast I beat the story

I have the gtaIV map memorized down to alleyways and just about any other detail, I guess thats what 4 years of playing it does lol

In Grand Theft Auto IV I use the GPS if I need to go to a specific location, but I know to get to general locations and neighbourhoods without needing to use the GPS.

Anyway, it has normally taken at least a couple of weeks of playing a new Grand Theft Auto title before I know the map back to front. It was like this in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and Grand Theft Auto III. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas took a little longer before I knew where I was going, but I know the map of that game back to front now also. There has never really been a Grand Theft Auto game where I knew where I was going right away - and it is almost impossible to know where you are going for anyone who first plays a new GTA title and I imagine that it will be the same in Grand Theft Auto V.

Once I know my way around a map; I can go months without playing a specific Grand Theft Auto game, play it and I am still able to navigate my way around the map with ease just as well as I was ever able to. This is especially true with the GTA III-era games, as well as Grand Theft Auto 2 and the original Grand Theft Auto. It is a different story though with Grand Theft Auto IV as there is often only one way to or out of a location (borough) so I normally make use of the GPS and map marker for this.

As for Rockstar making a map which looks much like real-life Los Angeles, I think that they won't exactly recreate Los Angeles by the square kilometre, but I do think that there will be key landmarks that will be familiar to locals from and living in Los Angeles and that will assist to help the player; regardless of where they live, to quickly learn and be able to navigate their way around the map. That is one of the many things that Rockstar is good at and also one of the many things that make playing the Grand Theft Auto games a pleasure.

RE9mJnf.png

FlavouredMilk

Vice City, San Andreas & IV I know practically off by heart, if not, best route within a few blocks or so.

I'm a very observant person so in withing an hour I know the beginning portion of the map (ie. Hove Beach in IV) reasonable well and studying the ingame/poster map I learn a majority of it reasonably quickly.

GTA2. Also, I'm not too flash with III but that's because I haven't played it too vastly. VC came out in my time too quickly for me to focus much on III.

I do use the GPS only because I'm honestly too lazy to deactivate it, but usually I just drive there without even setting a marker a majority of the time IV is the map I know best. Fxck, I could near play it in my mind.

Even if they do make LS like LA in V the small differences may actually confused some people as they'd expect something else to be there instead of what R* put there. But I assume LS will be rather familiar to LA.

I think with V being the size it appears to be, and my overwhelmed mindset of first seeing it, it'll take me awhile, but with in a few days I should have my basic regions figured out.

I can't wait to see it.

Edited by ALiXoV3rDoS3

FlavouredMilk
I still can't find certain things in GTA IV, that map is damn detailed.

It really is all defined by devotion and how your memory works.

I'm a long time/frequent gamer. So I spend a lot of time learning as much of the video games I play as I can. To improve the gameplay.

No one enjoys HUDs or pausing the game to figure out what's going on.

And I also do a lot of sketch work and art so I'm used to remembering/noticing small details.

It all comes down to the person. But from the way you worded it, you've got a pretty good idea.

But I know some people who can't even get around the corner with out getting lost.

SAME GOES HERE.. GTA IV HAS REALLY GOT A VAST MAP TO LOOK AT..but after completing the game,, do try it to play again and than you will find success in finding some cooll places which were difficult for you to find without GPS.. guys,, time teaches everything and so will GTA V MAPS... hahahah..

Gta SA and IV I know (excluding Alderney, which I know a bit but not so much)

Gta III I didn't know at all

Vice city i know quite well tbh, not off by heart like SA and IV but well enough

It usually takes me ages, like a year.

And I force myself to learn it, when not doing missions (or if I go on IV now) I basically ban myself from looking at the map so that really helps.

Sure, GTA LCS and GTA VCS, because I had already memorised the maps from GTA3 and Vicecity. IMO those maps were the most unique.

Depends on size of city. Maybe a few weeks. GTA3 was the first map I memorised because each district was so unique. I think Staunton Island was the hardest to memorise because the tall buildings were a hassle to differentiate.

Yeh, half of San Fierro still looks the same to me. Same with Las venturas - all I remember was the strip.

Maybe until I got to Algonquin, when I realised the GPS was law abiding, in other words it would take me a loong way around when I could just take a shortcut by going backwards a one way st.

Nope. Rockstar always does caricatures. I remember playing True Crime: LA where they boasted the game had 250 miles of real LA in it. All i noticed was how each st looked nearidentical to the next. At first I was going to blame the developers, but then I realised LA probably did look like that. Even here in Sydney, once you leave the main city, half the suburbs look awfully the same.

May be never. I still haven't memorised GTA SA or GTA IV perfectly yet, and I doubt I ever will.

FlavouredMilk

A point I missed is my passion for playing games HUDless.

I play racing games in cockpit view, manual (usually not clutch, I just lose my fingerwork with clutch.) with no HUD, for full immersion.

And I play GTA IV without a HUD unless I'm online, so I can find the other players.

And most games with HUDs that fade away during majority of gameplay are good. Like, ones that only show up when you use an option that involves the HUD like a weapon switch.

In GTA: London that's known as "Doing the knowledge".

The only city I have almost perfect recall of is Vice City but that's probably because it had the most basic layout.

I play racing games in cockpit view, manual (usually not clutch, I just lose my fingerwork with clutch.) with no HUD, for full immersion.

And I play GTA IV without a HUD unless I'm online, so I can find the other players.

And most games with HUDs that fade away during majority of gameplay are good. Like, ones that only show up when you use an option that involves the HUD like a weapon switch.

I play IV without the radar so I can focus on the world around me, but I still have the main HUD (health, weapon and radio display) on.

Games like RDR where it has regenerative health I keep the HUD off completely, increasing immersion substantially.

FlavouredMilk

I play IV without the radar so I can focus on the world around me, but I still have the main HUD (health, weapon and radio display) on.

Games like RDR where it has regenerative health I keep the HUD off completely, increasing immersion substantially.

I will admit; dying from getting nudged by a car because I forgot I had excessively low health.

But then again, free-roaming in GTAIV I don't sustain much health-loss. Usually just instant death.

I understand what you are saying and yes, it takes a few days for me to learn basic main roads, and from there on will hesitate on how to get to my destination, if I were not to be using the GPS.

Using the GPS is good, but sometimes causes inconvenient accidents, like glancing at it to find the next corner, and then BOOM, hit a car thats just pulled out slowing you down... or crash trying to avoid it which is annoying.

But nah in GTA IV I never use the sat nav, I know all the streets like the back of my hand.

I REALLY hope TAXIMISSIONS will be back in the game.

It wasnt only fun, but it was also a awesome way to learn about the city and it's hotspots.

Finn 7 five 11
Like every GTA we have played, we have been presented with a new map. Upon the first few days/weeks of playing a new GTA we are all utterly clueless of how to get around in this new environment R* sets before us. After a few days or weeks, we start to learn the map and start to get around fairly easily, remembering each street like you would in real life to get around and proceed with your daily lives.

Vice city and GTA III i always knew where i was (you didn't have markers in III so it was handy to know where you were), In San andreas i could get to most places i wanted to without consulting the map, GTA IV, i knew how to get where some of the time.

Didn't play GTA III for 4 years, took me 5 minutes to relearn it.

Don't play it anymore, but i have no real destination, i just like to f*ck around, but if i had a destination i would indeed use the gps.

I do think Rockstar will make it much like the real L.A as see by the Landmark topic, i think they will make it to resemble san andreas as well, most importantly they will make each street relatively different and notable, this was a little lacking in IV.

GTA III and Vice city only took me maybe 5-6 hours to know the joint inside and out, San Andreas took much more time, maybe 10-15 hours.

GTA IV, i still dunno a lot of the game, i know the areas, i just have trouble getting to them, many areas are just not that memorable, they look very similar to the next street, i think V will fix this, but i estimate 20 hours or more of exploring before i know the place inside and out.

Vice city and GTA III i always knew where i was (you didn't have markers in III so it was handy to know where you were), In San andreas i could get to most places i wanted to without consulting the map, GTA IV, i knew how to get where some of the time.

Didn't play GTA III for 4 years, took me 5 minutes to relearn it.

Don't play it anymore, but i have no real destination, i just like to f*ck around, but if i had a destination i would indeed use the gps.

I do think Rockstar will make it much like the real L.A as see by the Landmark topic, i think they will make it to resemble san andreas as well, most importantly they will make each street relatively different and notable, this was a little lacking in IV.

GTA III and Vice city only took me maybe 5-6 hours to know the joint inside and out, San Andreas took much more time, maybe 10-15 hours.

GTA IV, i still dunno a lot of the game, i know the areas, i just have trouble getting to them, many areas are just not that memorable, they look very similar to the next street, i think V will fix this, but i estimate 20 hours or more of exploring before i know the place inside and out.

It takes more than 5-6 hours to just see the whole map, there's at least 70 missions before you see Lv in sa

1. No, they were all new maps, except LC stories(i didnt own VC Stories).

2. Vice city = 2 weeks

SA = 1 month

GTA IV = I still dont remember all of the map and i had the game since it came out.

3. No

4. If your talking about following the GPS's voice or the "set location", then no; if you're talking about the minimap then yes, until i learn the maps.

5. Yes

6. Because of rumors of the size of the the map being larger than GTA IV's, then 2-4 weeks.

If you give me Vice City or San Andreas i'll get around town without any help whatsoever, hell i know those games better than the city i live in for real biggrin.gif

Probably about a week or two, depending on how big and varied it is.

I guess i'd have to say GTA III, i got through the story too quick i guess and haven't played it enough to remember everything.

Took it off from the start, never liked it.

I doubt it.

It all depends on how big and varied the map is.

I don't need map or GPS in gta IV - escept when chasing people who've gone round a corner. I know IV's map perfectly - i think i could probably draw it from memory.

GTA III's map i knew well and VC's i knew off by heart too.

SA's i know well enough to get to my destination with little help.

V's i'm sure i will get there. That's my favourite part of GTA - loading it up and getting lost. Finding something cool and spending ages looking for it again, finding cool routes etc and just getting lost. It's that new feeling, thrown in the deepend. That's what i love.

The only thing i love more is that "new" feel which lasts about a week or two.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

087rqaU.pngVw81Z2a.pngxWvxZoT.png1fb6cYB.png

Click here to view my Poetry

1. Yes, all of them cool.gif

2. 3 or 4 days? If I play many hours a day though...

3. No, never.

4. Yes, always.

5. I think it will resemble it a lot, but it will still be very different. People who live in L.A will know where they are, but no more.

6. A couple of days, maybe?

jlm5lRl.png

🌴                    🌴                    🌴                     🌴                    🌴                    🌴 

Yes, I can remember the maps of all GTAs since III almost flawlessly. I've got a pretty good topographic memory, I can remember and easily orient myself around places I've only been to once or twice.

Less than a week I guess, it takes a bit longer until I can memorize the shortest routes.

No.

No, I turned it off the first time I started the game. It's useless and annoying for me.

No opinion on this one.

+/- a week.

shoreside vale still gives me trouble when I'm doing the rc bomb mission and I totally forget how to get out of pike creek or whatever it is.

GRINCH ASS BITCH

I still don't remember every little street corner of Liberty City (III and IV era), I also have a hard time remember my way around Flint County/Whetstone and Tierra Robada in San Andreas. As a matter of fact, I don't really know my way around Vice City either, so I guess to don't really have a full grasp of any GTA game's map.