Anyone else get the feeling that everything R*...

TOWILS

in a way, i agree with you... reading comments from this board it seems GTA IV was merely a practice run, creating and refining the game engine. each game that uses RAGE has also improved RAGE, making for greater possibilities for when GTA V finally gets released. and yeah i do think this GTA, along with like 2 or 3 DLC's is the last for this gen.

but games like RDR were still sposed to be big, they were still made to the be the best they could be. its not like Rockstar slacked off on the other games and focused only on GTA V.

IV was a great game but lacked atmosphere. Maybe GTA V will make up for that..

IV lacked a lot of things i expected from the first GTA on a next gen console (xbox 360 and ps3) i still liked the game dont get me wrong. but still whatsthat.gif

its this reason i look foward to V more (maybe foolishly)

Guys, did L.A. Noire used the Rage engine? I found the characters animations/fighting animations to be so different to GTA IV that I couldn't help to think it was a tottaly different engine. The game lacked the fluid body motion that GTA IV had. (the faces were amazing btw)

well..

IV, they apparently spent $100MIL on it, so thats a bit much for practice run.

Interview with Sam/Dan revealed that they thought IV was major etc and that it was quite an experience.

I mean, looking at any "Franchise" they improve from their previous work, so OP you could say Yeah, it was in Prep, just like GTA 3 was prep for VC and VC was prep for SA.

Everyone improves from what they have previously done.

LA Noire was focused on reading people thus the facial recognition stuff.

RDR was just awesome, I mean really, I hate westerns, they're alright but I'd never play a western game yet RDR was just captivating, it was a fun game thats for sure!

RDR on its own was quite awesome.

Mightnight club, well, alot of effort went into making that, it wasnt a Parody city like GTA's are, it was actually quite a decent racing game.

All these titles with LA as the backdrop sure does help their LS, but I dont know if LS is meant to be accurate to LA, its a re-imagination of Rockstar.

I'd love to see features from GTA SA return to GTA V, simple things you know.

Everyone thought that GTA IV was going to have ALL the activities from SA yet when it came out, some people were upset with the amount of stuff removed.

GTA IV as said by Rockstar was meant to be amazing, yet some Fans thought Rockstar had lost the essence of GTA.

I myself thought GTA IV was awesome, everyone Vehcile had different handling, the environment was HD with Details, IMO Rockstar delivered what was promised.

GTA V in either case will NOT be a disappointment, an open world game with realistic physics and damage models etc is just awesome, I still play IV and just drive around.

Saints Row have adpoted things from the previous GTA's but its just not the same, its ok for some mindless fun but GTA is something else.

So OP, Rockstar will blow our minds, they will blow it like a thai hooker!

Edited by Raynos

It's interesting you bring this up, because just yesterday I was thinking about this. It almost seems to me at least, that R* was holding back with GTA IV. I think they were finding out about a lot of new technology and didn't have time to put it in, or wanted to learn more about it and put it in the next game. I think they held back a bit, that way the next GTA would be even more incredible.

You could just meld IV with RDR and you'd have a pretty good GTA game. However we all know V is going to blow everything they've done previously this gen, out of the water. It might contain some elements we aren't even aware of, from the upcoming Max Payne game.

Edited by jamieleng

well..

IV, they apparently spent $100MIL on it, so thats a bit much for practice run.

Interview with Sam/Dan revealed that they thought IV was major etc and that it was quite an experience.

I mean, looking at any "Franchise" they improve from their previous work, so OP you could say Yeah, it was in Prep, just like GTA 3 was prep for VC and VC was prep for SA.

Everyone improves from what they have previously done.

LA Noire was focused on reading people thus the facial recognition stuff.

RDR was just awesome, I mean really, I hate westerns, they're alright but I'd never play a western game yet RDR was just captivating, it was a fun game thats for sure!

RDR on its own was quite awesome.

Mightnight club, well, alot of effort went into making that, it was a Parody city like GTA's are, it was actually quite a decent racing game.

All these titles with LA as the backdrop sure does help their LS, but I dont know if LS is meant to be accurate to LA, its a re-imagination of Rockstar.

I'd love to see features from GTA SA return to GTA V, simple things you know.

Everyone thought that GTA IV was going to have ALL the activities from SA yet when it came out, some people were upset with the amount of stuff removed.

GTA IV as said by Rockstar was meant to be amazing, yet some Fans thought Rockstar had lost the essence of GTA.

I myself thought GTA IV was awesome, everyone Vehcile had different handling, the environment was HD with Details, IMO Rockstar delivered what was promised.

GTA V in either case will NOT be a disappointment, an open world game with realistic physics and damage models etc is just awesome, I still play IV and just drive around.

Saints Row have adpoted things from the previous GTA's but its just not the same, its ok for some mindless fun but GTA is something else.

So OP, Rockstar will blow our minds, they will blow it like a thai hooker!

driving i think is the best thing about GTA IV, i love it. shame they dont have any fast small hatchbacks.

and ye i guess ur right that much money is insanely to much for a practice run

I hardly think GTA4 was a practice run, they made the game in 2007 and it showcased what could be done at the time.

It is now 2011 (almost 2012) and yes, still the same hardware but look how far the games have come. GTAV will blow our minds and pull out some new tricks and tweaks I'm sure. Anyone not excited is a half cup empty kind of person.

I think that they will definitely use technology and what they've learnt from other games in V, but all the games are for testing in preperation for V? I don't think so.

It's interesting you bring this up, because just yesterday I was thinking about this. It almost seems to me at least, that R* was holding back with GTA IV. I think they were finding out about a lot of new technology and didn't have time to put it in, or wanted to learn more about it and put it in the next game. I think they held back a bit, that way the next GTA would be even more incredible.

you know, I've kinda felt that way too, Rockstar may have held things back, I mean seriously, No planes because its only city? VC was smaller than IV and it at least had a small Dodo, NY has small Cessna's flying around. Reading the interview with Dan/Sam about 9/11 and how he was there and saw it with his own eyes, you can sorta understand that he doesnt want any Video game to be able to even hint that, especially not one that he's involved in, or maybe as you said, they held back some content, maybe because it wasnt polished enough or they wanted to use it in the next gta. No one really knows I guess.

Re Cosmic Gypsy, I love the driving in GTA IV, its bloody awesome mate! Its so much more fun than racing games. I mean, in comparison, SR2 etc and probably SR3, the driving isnt as immersive as GTA IV, lol going full speed then slamming on the brakes and skidding and rear ending a cab! It was almost like you felt the impact, the Damage models etc for their vechiles, just loved it. For a game that deals with Grand Theft Auto, they've really done well with driving.

If GTA IV was lacking something, it certainly wasn't atmosphere.

OT: Preparing for V is not how I'd put it. Getting better at what you do is more descriptive.

9322068076_d79a001db2_o.jpg

While I doubt the games were preparation for GTAV, I do think that all the resources they had built up for that area, left San Andreas as the obvious choice.

Its already clear to me that nearly everything seen in the trailer is a modified version of something that can be found in another R* title.

The wilderness, mountain/hillside backdrop, cloth animation, lighting and skybox (even cloud dispersing on hiking scene) can all be found in some form in RDR.

The oil drills are very similar to one seen in MC:LA (I'm sure a few other assets are used as well).

Also, LA Noire being brought under the R* banner would have brought another mountain of things that can be reused (R* own the IP). I wouldn't bet against this being the reason why R* were so interested in a title which had completely stalled in development

Given all this and the experience of having GTA4 under their belt, R* North could easily build GTAV on a much larger scale than anything that has gone on before in their history.