Rags To Riches?

Shifty07

Rockstar made it pretty clear during the hype of IV that it wouldn't be your average Rags To Riches story like previous instalments.

I know it's incredibly early to tell yet but do you think the story will go that way this time? Or do you think the Rags To Riches element - that's always been prominent in the series - will be something that the players define themselves throughout the game?

As R* have said, we'll have a lot more input into the paths the protag goes down and decisions we make in the game will hold some weight. And this is something that gets me really excited as I like to go on a journey with the character; but I also like to feel a good amount of responsibility for the actions/paths my character goes down.

I want to play a big part in the direction that I take the protagonist, instead of going down a path which will ultimately end up the same no matter how varied my decisions are. If there is a Rags To Riches element, I want to sit back after completion and say to myself "jesus %£$&! that was hard work" while my character sits back in his mansion, tiger at his feet, butler handing him a scotch. Knowing that the decisions I made in the game could have landed me in the gutter or even dead.

I've kind of drifted. My bad..

Harwood Butch3r

I'm begining to think and I know I'm not the one who thinks this is we'll start on top (A first for the series) something goes horribly wrong and we have to get it all back again.

Would be a nice break from the traditional "Rags to Riches" format IMO.

I'm begining to think and I know I'm not the one who thinks this is we'll start on top (A first for the series) something goes horribly wrong and we have to get it all back again.

They were my original thoughts. IF the suited man in the trailer is the protag, I was trying to work out whether or not the bit where he's stood over the city is the beginning of the story where he's pretty much eyeing up the monster he's inevitably going to tackle. Or if it's a satisfied 'I made it' moment at the end. It could also be completely irrelevant and that I'm looking a bit to far into things lol.

Yeah I absolutely think that will happen, you will lose your wife, kids and a stack of money all in one fell swoop about two missions in.

Riches to rags to riches

Shifty - I don't think you're far off, I think its probably him looking at the city thinking of what he's gonna do to conquer it.

GRINCH ASS BITCH

I agree with Miami. While GTA:IV wasn't your typical rags to riches storyline, it still had the same rags to riches tendencies that just about all GTA games have (ie; your main goal isn't money, but you inevitably get rich along the way). As I had mentioned in another thread, I'd like to be the top dog in town without having to wait until the end of the game (by then, there's not much left to do).

Harwood Butch3r

They were my original thoughts. IF the suited man in the trailer is the protag, I was trying to work out whether or not the bit where he's stood over the city is the beginning of the story where he's pretty much eyeing up the monster he's inevitably going to tackle. Or if it's a satisfied 'I made it' moment at the end. It could also be completely irrelevant and that I'm looking a bit to far into things lol.

That's an interesting thought. Either way I think the guy has something to do with the story majorly.

How I was thinking it would play out.

He comes to LS with his wife and kids and buys a house in the hills (As the narrator's voice suggests). He could be a business man, but he has a dark past that not even his wife knows about. It turns out he used to do hits for the mob back in LC some years prior (Around GTA IV's time frame)and had to get out of it by trying to start a legitimate life.

Somehow his old cronnies track him down in LS, kidnap his wife and kids, burn his house to the ground and hold them for ransom. Having no choice he must re-enter the life he escaped from to find clues and un-earth a secret he did not even know about...

I'm not sure how he would get all of his wealth/status back, but this is just an intro to what I think could possibly happen. I know it sounds dark and gritty, but that's just my idea anyway. smile.gif

Edited by Miamivicecity

GRINCH ASS BITCH

What if...what if...

What if Rockstar pulls a fast one on us and your character doesn't lose their wealth in the early portions of the game? I'm not saying that they'd make you lose your wealth by the end of the game (because that would suck even more), but what if you're not dragged in to a "riches to rags to riches" sort of storyline? Both "rags to riches" and "riches to rags to riches" are cliched to the maximum (not particularly by R*, but in general).

What if the story is good enough to not revolve around the cliched "main character fighting to gain back what he's lost"?

That's an interesting thought. Either way I think the guy has something to do with the story majorly.

He comes to LS with his wife and kids and buys a house in the hills (As the narrator's voice suggests). He could be a business man, but he has a dark past that not even his wife knows about. It turns out he used to do hits for the mob back in LC some years prior (Around GTA IV's time frame)and had to get out of it by trying to start a legitimate life.

Somehow his old cronnies track him down in LS, kidnap his wife and kids, burn his house to the ground and hold them for ransom. Having no choice he must re-enter the life he escaped from to find clues and un-earth a secret he did not even know about...

I'm not sure how he would get all of his wealth/status back, but this is just an intro to what I think could possibly happen. I know it sounds dark and gritty, but that's just my idea anyway. smile.gif

That has my mouth watering.

I din't think we'll see his family though, personally. As GTA obviously won't put his kids in the game. And just showing his wife won't really deliver the 'family' effect that his story portrays. Maybe his family are killed and we have to deal with a revenge plot.. although IV was kind of based around revenge.

I just want to see something unique.

It sounds like you're going to end up starting at the riches point. Maybe ull end up back to rags quickly and the game will follow recapturing the riches point.

What if...what if...

What if Rockstar pulls a fast one on us and your character doesn't lose their wealth in the early portions of the game? I'm not saying that they'd make you lose your wealth by the end of the game (because that would suck even more), but what if you're not dragged in to a "riches to rags to riches" sort of storyline? Both "rags to riches" and "riches to rags to riches" are cliched to the maximum (not particularly by R*, but in general).

What if the story is good enough to not revolve around the cliched "main character fighting to gain back what he's lost"?

I really like the "riches to rags to riches" idea...

I'm sure rockstar can give this story alot of depth

Harwood Butch3r

I din't think we'll see his family though, personally. As GTA obviously won't put his kids in the game. And just showing his wife won't really deliver the 'family' effect that his story portrays. Maybe his family are killed and we have to deal with a revenge plot.. although IV was kind of based around revenge.

They could just be featured in cut scenes. In LA Noire there were even kids who were NPCs. Aslong as it doesn't depict physical harm (Yes I know how people feel about children in video games) it could be doable.

Whoever is the main character starts off with not much cash wise, gets involved with a rich mobster who takes him under his wing. Works with him doing jobs building him up to be "well respected" in the criminal underworld. Main character get too much respect and rich mobster tried to get him killed so he remains the top dog in LS.

Main character survives the attack and goes out for revenge, eventually comes out on top by killing the old top dog and is now king of Los Santos with his seven bedroom mansion, high rise penthouse and beachside villa.

Theres way's they could have kids in the beginning without it being able to harm them.

My idea, would be that you start off in your new house and the opening intro to the game is a conversation between you and your wife on the phone, talking about you moving from LC, fresh start, things won't be the same as before etc etc with it closing out as you agreeing to pick her and the kids up from the airport the next day.

Opening mission starts, your alarm clock is going off and its the next day and your character is shown getting ready to go pick the family up. So you drive over there but your phone rings on the way over, you enter into another telephone conversation with your buddy who is here in the city, this sets up more backstory, he's the one who convinced you to move, he's managed to get out of the game 1st and move here etc, he asks if you can come meet him for something as son as. So you agree reluctantly knowing your wife will be pissed off at you shooting off straight after getting them.

So at the airport, you pull up, wife and kids come out, and get it, but its like a cutscene so you can't do anything to them. if you get out the car, they don't move. So you and the wife have a conversation on the drive back, the kids chirp in at times, she gets mad at you for agreeing to go see your friend. You drop everyone off at the house, wife and kids get out, another cutscene, can't interact the kids or anything. the game autosaves. you are left in the car, kids are in the house and the house is locked at this point. you drive over to your mates who asks for some help with a delivery.

But... things go wrong, you find out its actually a drug run, your friend is still involved in things, the buyers try to split without paying, your friend hands you a gun, shootout starts. your wife rings... she hears gunshots. she goes mad at you on the phone but of course you have to go. you manage to get out, drive back home, you walk in the door and she goes absolutely crazy, throwing stuff at you, hitting you, shouting screaming. all in a cutscene of course. she gets the kids and leaves, in your car, back to the airport. game saves again. you give chase after stealing a car, but you get there to see her going through the gate on the next flight home.

Sorry for going all fan fiction but you get the idea.. its possible for them to have kids in without it being a problem.

Theres way's they could have kids in the beginning without it being able to harm them.

My idea, would be that you start off in your new house and the opening intro to the game is a conversation between you and your wife on the phone, talking about you moving from LC, fresh start, things won't be the same as before etc etc with it closing out as you agreeing to pick her and the kids up from the airport the next day.

Opening mission starts, your alarm clock is going off and its the next day and your character is shown getting ready to go pick the family up. So you drive over there but your phone rings on the way over, you enter into another telephone conversation with your buddy who is here in the city, this sets up more backstory, he's the one who convinced you to move, he's managed to get out of the game 1st and move here etc, he asks if you can come meet him for something as son as. So you agree reluctantly knowing your wife will be pissed off at you shooting off straight after getting them.

So at the airport, you pull up, wife and kids come out, and get it, but its like a cutscene so you can't do anything to them. if you get out the car, they don't move. So you and the wife have a conversation on the drive back, the kids chirp in at times, she gets mad at you for agreeing to go see your friend. You drop everyone off at the house, wife and kids get out, another cutscene, can't interact the kids or anything. the game autosaves. you are left in the car, kids are in the house and the house is locked at this point. you drive over to your mates who asks for some help with a delivery.

But... things go wrong, you find out its actually a drug run, your friend is still involved in things, the buyers try to split without paying, your friend hands you a gun, shootout starts. your wife rings... she hears gunshots. she goes mad at you on the phone but of course you have to go. you manage to get out, drive back home, you walk in the door and she goes absolutely crazy, throwing stuff at you, hitting you, shouting screaming. all in a cutscene of course. she gets the kids and leaves, in your car, back to the airport. game saves again. you give chase after stealing a car, but you get there to see her going through the gate on the next flight home.

Sorry for going all fan fiction but you get the idea.. its possible for them to have kids in without it being a problem.

Everything about that sounds like the perfect introduction to the game for me.. Except for the drug deal/shoot out.

I wouldn't want to be thrown into it that early. I've always been one for easing my way into a plot instead of diving in head first.

i hope the dont take the RDR family captivity route. It made the game's timeline feel strange. if the protag's cares enough to fight for his family he'd do it quick.

If someone kidnapped your wife, would you go for a quiet drive in the country, have a race, chill at the beach, then go drinking with your buddy?

Or would every second of your life be devoted to getting them back.

Family kidnap games only work in linear level based games. The story method contradicts teh freedom of sandbox games.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

087rqaU.pngVw81Z2a.pngxWvxZoT.png1fb6cYB.png

Click here to view my Poetry

Everything about that sounds like the perfect introduction to the game for me.. Except for the drug deal/shoot out.

I wouldn't want to be thrown into it that early. I've always been one for easing my way into a plot instead of diving in head first.

There has to be something to cause your wife to leave you and it has to be fairly early, in my scenario, for it to work.

To be honest I don't want things going too slow at the start. The whole thing could be a cutscene I guess like the opening to vice city. drug deal gone wrong, and shootout, followed by phonecall as you get in the car. In fact the car could have a phone system in it that auto answers, and it could actually show you struggling with it when your friend rings earlier, so your wife hears the gunshots even though you wouldn't have picked up but the system in the car did it.

i hope the dont take the RDR family captivity route. It made the game's timeline feel strange. if the protag's cares enough to fight for his family he'd do it quick.

If someone kidnapped your wife, would you go for a quiet drive in the country, have a race, chill at the beach, then go drinking with your buddy?

Family kidnap games only work in linear level based games. The story method contradicts teh freedom of sandbox games.

This.

I totally agree.

This.

I totally agree.

I really liked the story RDR.

you're right and I must say I always stayed on the missions.... because of this story. Sometimes I had some relaxation time, but it didn't interfere with the story. Because I played the role.

my thoughts to smile.gif

This.

I totally agree.

you're right and I must say I always stayed on the missions.... because of this story. Sometimes I had some relaxation time, but it didn't interfere with the story. Because I played the role.

I'm an immersive gamer too. I LIVE the game.

GTA IV Niko i drive to the limit, shoot for the head and act like the architypical eastern bloc shooter.

Johnny I cause carnage, cause as much damage as i can with bad ass weapons

Luis is all about style.

RDR i found it strange, as much as i wondered around exploring etc, John just wouldn't do that if he had to rescue his family

The only let off was that john procrastinated cos he didn't want to do what THEY told him to...

RDR's story was cool though.

This.

I totally agree.

GTA IV Niko i drive to the limit, shoot for the head and act like the architypical eastern bloc shooter.

Luis is all about style.

RDR i found it strange, as much as i wondered around exploring etc, John just wouldn't do that if he had to rescue his family

The only let off was that john procrastinated cos he didn't want to do what THEY told him to...

Yeah I'm with you on that. I live the game too, always have. When I was younger I even used to drive as 'normal' as possible and stop at traffic lights >.<

spiderman3000

I am making this by assuming that GTA V has multiple protagonists:

1. The vercitti guy could have the 'Rich storyline' in which you have pretty much everything.

2. The tank top guy(the one being chased by the cops on foot) could have the 'Rags' storyline, starting with nothing.

3. The Vin Diesel look-alike(the guy being chased by the cops in the car) could be the vercetti guy's bodyguard.

The three stories mesh into one another many times.

Here's another clue for you all.

monocle.gif

A city torn by quake, poor sinners and rich Saints

Blood cheaper than oil, new idenity embroil

Beneath a red sky one shall acquaint.

monocle.gif

This.

I totally agree.

Luis is all about style.

Yeah I'm with you on that. I live the game too, always have. When I was younger I even used to drive as 'normal' as possible and stop at traffic lights >.<

I still do. Will do with V

But as Johnny I don't bother stopping at reds - in my eyes he wouldn't care

As Luis i sometimes do, depends if i cba tounge.gif

This.

I totally agree.

Luis is all about style.

I still do. Will do with V

But as Johnny I don't bother stopping at reds - in my eyes he wouldn't care

As Luis i sometimes do, depends if i cba tounge.gif

haha serious gamer right here. i went through spells of it on IV but I've become quite impaitent lol

Riches, to rags, to even more riches than before, imo.

Edited by reform

Yeah I think we'll really start the story with a made man, who at some point loses everything he owned/was and has to rebuild his life again and eventually takes revenge.

Edited by Dvt-MedShot