Airports

Doha

user posted image

user posted image

(Rockstar have told us that GTA V is based in Southern California, more specifically the city of Los Santos and it's surrounding areas. No one knows how big an area this will be so some of this post will be guesswork.)

Airports in Southern California (not including small airstrips, of which there are hundreds)

user posted image

Possible size of GTA V (Again, who knows)

user posted image

Aircraft we've seen in the trailer -

Maverick

user posted image

Seaplane?

user posted image

Blimp (the Goodyear blimp?)

user posted image

Cropduster

user posted image

Police Maverick

user posted image

F35/Harrier hybrid

user posted image

Shamal [with blimp in foreground]

user posted image

All these aircraft have to come from somewhere - The crop duster indicates the possibility of their being a small country airstrip, the blimp may be a parody of the RL Goodyear blimp which is based in Carson, 13 miles from downtown LA and 14 miles from LAX; The fighter jet indicates a military airbase and the Shamal may possibly indicate a regional airport in another part of the map (Long Beach, Santa Ana?)

LAX will definately feature (you can see an Air Traffic Control tower at 24:00 in the trailer; It doesn't look like the RL tower though); I reckon we will see a return of 'FlyUS' and possibly even another airline. (Air Sol from the plane ticket in IV?)

Nearby airfields include -

KHHR - Jack Northrop Field/Hawthorne Municipal Airport (4 nm E)

KSMO - Santa Monica Municipal Airport (5 nm NW)

KTOA - Zamperini Field Airport (9 nm S)

KLGB - Long Beach Airport (Daugherty Field) (15 nm SE)

KBUR - Bob Hope Airport (16 nm N)

KVNY - Van Nuys Airport (17 nm N)

KWHP - Whiteman Airport (19 nm N)

KSLI - Los Alamitos Army Airfield (20 nm SE) [ Fighter jet seen in trailer?]

Whether the airport will be like the RL airport is unknown but it would be awesome if it is -

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Edited by Doha

LAX will definately feature (you can see an Air Traffic Control tower at 24:00 in the trailer; It doesn't look like the RL tower though);

How the hell did you spot that? I watched that spot 3 times after reading this to see what you're talking about. And yeah, it's definitely an ATC tower, and yeah, it has to be LAX.

I just really hope they put more work into airport(s) than in the past. None of the markings ever made any kind of sense. Taxiways ended and started abruptly in strange places. Signs pointing to non-existing taxiways and runways scattered randomly. Runway 69... Yeah. That needs to stop. It'd take an hour of research to know how to mark everything properly. Not that hard.

Prior to filing a bug against any of my code, please consider this response to common concerns.

I think nothing more then what was in SA before, ....or less. BUT remember that included an aircraft carrier, one of the best missions in SA as well

Intercontinental flights just like in SA would be epic. But I travel rather by car in a convertible with Mr. Mister on :-)

Someone was saying that there could be the bakersfield airport, because the plane flying over the vinewood sign at the end would most likely have come from there if you drew a straight line.

Don't really know about airports or california myself though.

How the hell did you spot that? I watched that spot 3 times after reading this to see what you're talking about. And yeah, it's definitely an ATC tower, and yeah, it has to be LAX.

VLC's slow playback function biggrin.gif

I just really hope they put more work into airport(s) than in the past. None of the markings ever made any kind of sense. Taxiways ended and started abruptly in strange places. Signs pointing to non-existing taxiways and runways scattered randomly. Runway 69... Yeah. That needs to stop. It'd take an hour of research to know how to mark everything properly. Not that hard.

Agree completley.

I also just clicked your aviation thread in your signature, agree entirely with everything you've written.

They're working for me ow. Also, great idea. I hope you stick to this thread. Especially with the list of seen aircraft.

It would be cool if the wind changed direction and velocity, just to add a bit of a challenge when landing!

Hey guys, I don't think this specific topic has been covered yet, so here I go:

In GTA 3 and Vice City there were holo (non-solid) Boeing 747s flying taking off and landing at the airport, and if you manage to follow them, you will find they just circled the city and flew back down.

GTA IV was very similar in that regard, except this time the planes were solid. In all 3 games, the Boeing 747 was an unflyable vehicle and as such it didn't require spawning like all other vehicles in the game.

In all three of the above games, there were also solid parked boeing 747s in Hangers and near the airport, and added authenticity to the airports (they were like buildings).

GTA San Andreas played it very, very differently. In GTA SA all planes were flyable, and thus required the game to spawn them like every other vehicles. As a result, there were NO boeing 747s parked in LS or SF, (even as nonflyable aesthetics) and the only boeing in LV was parked hidden inside the hanger. As such, the airports in San Andreas felt rather ghost like, empty. I had never seen a plane take off or land in any of those airports, and the lack of visibly parked 747 planes made the airports seem unrealistic.

My question is, how will GTA V play it out? As we have noticed from the trailer, planes do seem to be flyable again, but does that mean airports will again become ghost like again due to the game's limit on how many items they can spawn, or will there be a mixture of flyable and non-flyable planes so that the authenticity is spared?

I reckon the large boeing 747 jets will be unflyable, but smaller planes will be flyable. This way they could still have those solid, non flyable planes parked around the airports and also fly around in circles to make us believe the airports are live with activity. What do you guys reckon?

I really love planes, but i think rockstar games want it to make more realistic,

Just like GTA IV Realistic game. GTA IV can't fly an aircraft. I hope, it is flyable in this next

GTA sad.gif

I'd rather have flyable planes and less active airports personally.

A little bit of believability at the expense of a big chunk of fun is not a good tradeoff for the series.

I am hoping that the airport/s in Grand Theft Auto V are not so ghost like as they were in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. I think that there should be a mix of unflyable aircraft used just for the purpose of taking off and landing from airports and for decoration, then there should of course be aircraft that are flyable and spawn like any other vehicle. They could also do flyable version and unflyable versions of each aircraft to serve this purpose and I feel that it could work, it would mean that airports are live with activity anyway.

In fact, I don't see why they couldn't have aircraft that land and take off from the airport flyable also, giving the player the ability to hijack them.

RE9mJnf.png

Dude, of course it's been covered, K^2 is led-by here and he knows a thing or two about planes, he made his own thread about aviation for these types of posts, please look harder, you make it difficult when everyone adds topics that are fairly obvious and have already been talked about, just look back some pages and scan each topic, not entirely difficult

Mainland Marauder

I really think the lack of flyable airplanes (and certain other stuff) in IV has more to do with needing the time to perfect the physics of flying an airplane with the new engine. Same with why there were no motorcycles in GTA3. There's been time to work this stuff out.

It would bother me none if there were non-flyable "prop" planes on the tarmac, at the terminals etc. for decoration purposes. Seeing real planes (i.e. not props) take off and land on the runways would be cool, as long as it doesn't cause problems elsewhere.

Realistic visuals are great but they should never adversely affect the game's playability.

"You tell me exactly what you want, and I'll explain to you very carefully why it cannot be."

The airport in GTA IV had a 6-star wanted level, so the only feeling you got for it was in MP or the mission for UL Paper.

I think in V they'll have static, flyable and animated aircraft at all the airports.

I think they''ll have three airports - LAX, Edwards AFB and a countryside/grass runway airfield

9322068076_d79a001db2_o.jpg

I always enjoyed jumping on AI planes in Just Cause 2 and seeing where it went. Usually, like GTA, it just circled around aimlessly. I hope we get more of an atmosphere at the airport in V, would love to be chasing planes (or running away from them) on the runways. biggrin.gif

Mainland Marauder

Edwards AFB might turn out to be V's equivalent of Area 69, where the military aircraft would be.

"You tell me exactly what you want, and I'll explain to you very carefully why it cannot be."

The airport in GTA IV had a 6-star wanted level, so the only feeling you got for it was in MP or the mission for UL Paper.

I think in V they'll have static, flyable and animated aircraft at all the airports.

I think they''ll have three airports - LAX, Edwards AFB and a countryside/grass runway airfield

Wasn't it a 4 star wanted level?

But yeh, you couldn't really venture it unless you were in MP. But GTA V is different since planes are back, which means you are obliged to visit the airports time to time just to nick the odd plane here and there.

I really hope that 4 star wanted level crap is gone in GTA V. Maybe R* put it into GTA IV in order to emphasise NY's anti-terrorist actions in post 911, such that their rule is "Tresspassers will be shot. Survivors will be shot again"

Los Angeles had more laxed anti-terror laws right?

My thread was on aviation itself. I only mentioned airports in passing, because they need work. However, there is a good thread on airports already, and I think it would be valuable to have posts from both in one place. So, merged.

I'm not entirely convinced that we can't have live airport traffic and still have all the planes flyable. Look at how Just Cause 2 handled it. It had all the same resources to work with. Yes, some corners will have to be cut and sacrifices made, but I think it'd be worth it.

Failing that, yes, a hybrid system sounds good. Have some solid props parked around the terminals, and maybe have a few fly in/out, but also have a few flyable planes spawn here and there.

Prior to filing a bug against any of my code, please consider this response to common concerns.

Not talking about planes, but airports...i would really like to see an airport similar to VC. You had the chance to walk in there and there were many people there waiting and doing stuff. Thats IMO quite important aspect too.

About 747s and bigger planes flying. I wouldn't actually see flying a big ass plane there. Something smaller yes. Up until things like a Learjet would be nice. Bigger ones should fly itself. But not in a circle. My idea is, that the big planes land and take off regularly and then just don't circle around the map, but go out to sea and disappear into the distance. Then also planes come from far away, from the ocean and land on the airport. It's only a matter of scripting. Nothing hard IMO.

"Why did I move here? I guess it was the weather, or the....ah! i don't know. That thing, that magic!"

I always enjoyed jumping on AI planes in Just Cause 2 and seeing where it went. Usually, like GTA, it just circled around aimlessly. I hope we get more of an atmosphere at the airport in V, would love to be chasing planes (or running away from them) on the runways. biggrin.gif

I loved how you'd get random plane crashes out in the countryside

"Let's go, let's bounce baby! An' When I say bounce I don't mean bouncing literally I just mean..."

"I know what it means Yusuf."

"It's a term from the street meaning you have to walk, but if you don't get that it's a bit like rolling. You have to roll, not like a fat man rolling, it means actually just walk."

"Can we just go?"

I loved how you'd get random plane crashes out in the countryside

Never actually noticed that, you mean on JC2? Well if they can do it, so can GTA

Never actually noticed that, you mean on JC2? Well if they can do it, so can GTA

There were random plane crashes in San Andreas. Mostly in areas with tall buildings or mountains.

Edwards AFB might turn out to be V's equivalent of Area 69, where the military aircraft would be.

That would be so cool!

GTA V needs to strike a balance between fully functioning airports and a good selection of aircraft at the player's disposal. While SA had tonnes of planes to fly, there was no commercial air traffic, (except for the occasional DC3 and those lights that everyone thought were UFOs - but they don't count) and it felt like the skies were ghost towns. While IV had planes taxiing and flying around the city - you weren't able to fly them. If GTA V had a wealth of air traffic and planes to fly, it'd be so awesome!

There were random plane crashes in San Andreas. Mostly in areas with tall buildings or mountains.

I was coming back from a date with Denise once, and a Beagle crashed into the street, blew up and killed us, failing the date! XD

Edited by TyphoonJames