Will they bring back the hood?

ZayDaGawd

Yeah, it can have hoods, I just don't wanna be near them... or I wanna pick up a baseball bat and beat the sh*t of every "gangsta" around. Hoods are stupid ideas, especially for a game that is played by millions and may influence people's ideas. I don't wanna see some 12 year old kid running around pretending to be a gangbanger. Crime is a gentleman's game and seeing some dudes running around "Yo nigga, u liv on 65th street homie, I'mma shoot yo ass down." is a turn-off for someone who looks for a story with a purpose... not like SA where you start off shooting some dudes dressed in purple because they're in your "turf"... it was pointless shooting, it was a terrible beginning for the story.

WTH do you mean crime is a gentlemen's game? Everyone commits crime! LA crime is majority from street gangs! If there will be a organized group it will be the Triads, Korean Mob or Mexican Cartel, since those groups are in LA ad not the Mafia...

there is no way there could be a proper story with "hoods". That's why SA's story was so bad, R* worked on the gameplay. CJ had no motive at all basically. He got into some gang and shot other niggas for being in his turf... what the f*ck is the point of that?

LA is essentially a terrible location to make a game since the story is bound to suck if the "ghetto" is involved. Think about it...

"I'm gonna kill them because they were in my turf." It's ridiculously stupid.

I'm sorry if I'm offending you hoodrats, but it seems that a lot of people don't understand the essence of a good story. Just because you skip over cutscenes to get to the action doesn't mean the story is unimportant to the game.

There is no way you can do a proper story about the hood? Really?

The Wire has been described by many critics as the greatest television series ever made and one of the most accomplished works of fiction of the 2000s.[2][3][4][5][6][7] The show is recognized for its realistic portrayal of urban life, its literary ambitions, and its uncommonly deep exploration of sociopolitical themes.

University of York's Head of Sociology, Roger Burrows, said in the The Independent that the show "makes a fantastic contribution to their understanding of contemporary urbanism", and is "a contrast to dry, dull, hugely expensive studies that people carry out on the same issues".

T

he fourth season of The Wire has been universally lauded and hailed as one of the best seasons of television ever produced. As of 2011, it is the highest rated individual TV season of all time on Metacritic with a score of 98 based on 21 critics—including 17 perfect score reviews.[94]

Sounds like The Wire, with five seasons having a large focus on "the hood", achieved a pretty decent story. As I said before, it depends on who is writing it, now the subject itself.

Stop letting stereotypes influence your logic.

I know some of you mark ass bustas hate playin in the "ghetto" but me and the millions of other people who play games enjoy and relate to it.

Millions of people do not relate to 'ghetto'. Get your facts right.

I'm sick of this obsession with the 'imma go cap dat gangstas ass.' It's awful and vulgar. I want the protagoniost to be disinguished and sophisticated. I hope Rockstar don't take ideas from this forum, especially the V section.

This thread is full of these ignorant, borderline racist comments about "the hood". The Wire, more ambitious and intelligent than "gentleman crime" fiction like The Godfather, Goodfellas, and the Sopranos, focused entirely on "the hood", and it turned out to be moving, intelligent, once a lifetime drama. "The hood" is not inherently "yo yo homie" crap, it's the writers who depict it as such. If the writers at Rockstar are incapable of depicting "the hood" in the distinguished/sophisticated reality that it actually can be, then blame the writers for being talentless and stereotypical.

What if the game had a protagonist like Propsition Joe from The Wire, or Stringer Bell from the Wire. They are head over heels more sophisticated than generic stock italian mobsters depicted in most fiction. And they are from "the hood".

And as far as "they already did the hood" comments. What kind of crap is that? How many times have games done the mafia? Street Gangs are far more prevalent in L.A. Do people think the ONLY depiction of "the hood" that exist is what they see in rap videos? Or that it's as shallow as what the media has fed them? Are you that ignorant?

There are infinite sophisticated storylines that explore organized crime in the hood that a talented writer could come up with. And those storylines would naturally intertwine with storylines that focus on other areas of crime aside from gangbanging (political and police corruption, money laundering, social commentary, etc).

The reason Rockstar chose the Boyz N Da Hood angle in San Andreas was because that was a defining era of the times. Riots, racial discrimination, rise of gangs and drugs, and black on black crime. It was a relevant story to explore. But there are far more reaching stories out there that goes beyound 1992 gangbanging. If Rockstar is going for the more serious apprach, then giving "the hood", more ambitious treatment could be a natural step.

What was shown in San Andreas was the first level of "the hood". Dope boys on the street corner. Do some of you think that is ALL that exist? Pick up a book. Or pick up The Wire.

All of that said, I don't care what the plot is about. It doesnt have to be the hood at all (more concerned about gameplay and being able to do things with they accumulated money). But the ignorant comments in here were too much to take. Stupid people and their stereotypical ideas, where black and in the hood is "stupid and vulgar", and somehow that is all that can exist in fiction.

user posted image

(Marlo Stanfield orginization says hi}

Some of these ignorant people are amateurs...

Also I never knew there were so many bigots on this site....

Lol, people tend to get bold when they're shielded by internet anonymity

Yeah, it can have hoods, I just don't wanna be near them... or I wanna pick up a baseball bat and beat the sh*t of every "gangsta" around. Hoods are stupid ideas, especially for a game that is played by millions and may influence people's ideas. I don't wanna see some 12 year old kid running around pretending to be a gangbanger. Crime is a gentleman's game and seeing some dudes running around "Yo nigga, u liv on 65th street homie, I'mma shoot yo ass down." is a turn-off for someone who looks for a story with a purpose... not like SA where you start off shooting some dudes dressed in purple because they're in your "turf"... it was pointless shooting, it was a terrible beginning for the story.

WTH do you mean crime is a gentlemen's game? Everyone commits crime! LA crime is majority from street gangs! If there will be a organized group it will be the Triads, Korean Mob or Mexican Cartel, since those groups are in LA ad not the Mafia...

That's why it shouldn't be in LA... sure it's got a great scenery and sh*t, but no real "crime syndicates". A bunch of niggas pointlessly shooting at each other is crime, but it's stupid low-life crime. Crime itself is more about having a purpose, a motive. I don't wanna have to go through a mission and shoot some East LA Mexicans because they're from East LA... there is no way there could be a proper story with "hoods". That's why SA's story was so bad, R* worked on the gameplay. CJ had no motive at all basically. He got into some gang and shot other niggas for being in his turf... what the f*ck is the point of that?

LA is essentially a terrible location to make a game since the story is bound to suck if the "ghetto" is involved. Think about it...

"I'm gonna kill them because they were in my turf." It's ridiculously stupid.

I'm sorry if I'm offending you hoodrats, but it seems that a lot of people don't understand the essence of a good story. Just because you skip over cutscenes to get to the action doesn't mean the story is unimportant to the game.

Do you even know what the f*ck you're talking about??? Is your whole knowledge of the "hood' from freakin video games??

This thread is full of these ignorant, borderline racist comments about "the hood". The Wire, more ambitious and intelligent than "gentleman crime" fiction like The Godfather, Goodfellas, and the Sopranos, focused entirely on "the hood", and it turned out to be moving, intelligent, once a lifetime drama. "The hood" is not inherently "yo yo homie" crap, it's the writers who depict it as such. If the writers at Rockstar are incapable of depicting "the hood" in the distinguished/sophisticated reality that it actually can be, then blame the writers for being talentless and stereotypical.

What if the game had a protagonist like Propsition Joe from The Wire, or Stringer Bell from the Wire. They are head over heels more sophisticated than generic stock italian mobsters depicted in most fiction. And they are from "the hood".

And as far as "they already did the hood" comments. What kind of crap is that? How many times have games done the mafia? Street Gangs are far more prevalent in L.A. Do people think the ONLY depiction of "the hood" that exist is what they see in rap videos? Or that it's as shallow as what the media has fed them? Are you that ignorant?

There are infinite sophisticated storylines that explore organized crime in the hood that a talented writer could come up with. And those storylines would naturally intertwine with storylines that focus on other areas of crime aside from gangbanging (political and police corruption, money laundering, social commentary, etc).

The reason Rockstar chose the Boyz N Da Hood angle in San Andreas was because that was a defining era of the times. Riots, racial discrimination, rise of gangs and drugs, and black on black crime. It was a relevant story to explore. But there are far more reaching stories out there that goes beyound 1992 gangbanging. If Rockstar is going for the more serious apprach, then giving "the hood", more ambitious treatment could be a natural step.

What was shown in San Andreas was the first level of "the hood". Dope boys on the street corner. Do some of you think that is ALL that exist? Pick up a book. Or pick up The Wire.

All of that said, I don't care what the plot is about. It doesnt have to be the hood at all (more concerned about gameplay and being able to do things with they accumulated money). But the ignorant comments in here were too much to take. Stupid people and their stereotypical ideas, where black and in the hood is "stupid and vulgar", and somehow that is all that can exist in fiction.

I love you man. Seriously. I logged in just to tell you this.

Least retarded comment in this thread by far. PROPS!

Idk why people see the storyline of SA as just some ghetto turf war between the Grove and the Ballas. CJ and Sweet wanted to clean the streets and get the dope dealers out of their neighborhood because because it was ruining the gang and the neighborhood. Then CJ's mother was murdered so you were trying to find out who did that. For those who think it was just some stupid hood turf war sh*t it wasn't, the storyline was more than that.

@DorianDon: I would love a Stringer Bell type main character in GTA V. The Wire FTW!

I know some of you mark ass bustas hate playin in the "ghetto" but me and the millions of other people who play games enjoy and relate to it.

I'm sick of this obsession with the 'imma go cap dat gangstas ass.' It's awful and vulgar. I want the protagoniost to be disinguished and sophisticated. I hope Rockstar don't take ideas from this forum, especially the V section.

user posted image

Great post

That was one of the reasons i loved SA, I could relate to it. I didn't relate to IV as much because I'm not from NY but that's just me. I would live to see a recreation of the harsh streets of Compton

user posted image

Millionsofdeadcops

user posted image

Oh my god. You are my hero. Epic thumbs up to you sir.

Also, some of these people here need to get out of their little middle class suburban bubble and take a bit of a walk in the streets of LA. There hasn't been an Italian/Sicilian mafia here and probably anywhere else in the country for 40-60 years. Some of you people need to stop watching bad Hollywood movies and bad comic books and realize that your crummy little romanticization of crime and gangs is no longer relevant. Crime is not a "gentleman's game" and never will be. Lmao.

People, understand for once, that this isn't San Andreas.

Yes, yes it is.

It may be in San Andreas state, but it's not like the previous game called Grand theft auto: San Andreas. It's nothing like that. Only one city, so you can't say it's in San Andreas, cause people get stupid ideas in their head.

"Why did I move here? I guess it was the weather, or the....ah! i don't know. That thing, that magic!"

Idk why people see the storyline of SA as just some ghetto turf war between the Grove and the Ballas. CJ and Sweet wanted to clean the streets and get the dope dealers out of their neighborhood because because it was ruining the gang and the neighborhood. Then CJ's mother was murdered so you were trying to find out who did that. For those who think it was just some stupid hood turf war sh*t it wasn't, the storyline was more than that.

@DorianDon: I would love a Stringer Bell type main character in GTA V. The Wire FTW!

Actually if you really think of it. The Groove street families in way operated like a Mafia family/clan. They were loyal to each other like a family, similar to the mob... And also didn't want there neighborhood to be ruined by drugs o violence, similar to the Mob, and looked out for each other...

every city has a hood thats just the way it is

if gta 5 aint got any hoods then its not the real LA is it

if u wanna buy a game wid a bunch of classy thugs go buy godfarther lool

I don't know where the f*ck your country is but if you're an example of the common people there,then man I feel sorry for your country... you know,crowded with racist retards... (BTW your so called classy and smart criminals are something hollywood made up.yes there is organized crime but the term ''organized'' is being used loosely)

talented_individual

What do these little kids know about the mafia and the criminal underworld?lol.gif

We might see some Russian Mafia, Mexican Mafia or Jewish Mafia as well as the gang bangers

TheIntellectualz

Exactly..The Mob are more calculated and smooth with their crimes. Gangs are more wild. the gang life is just apart of LA life as Hollywood.(IMO) So I don't see why not...

GrandTheftAuto 5SA

Oh my god. You are my hero. Epic thumbs up to you sir.

Also, some of these people here need to get out of their little middle class suburban bubble and take a bit of a walk in the streets of LA. There hasn't been an Italian/Sicilian mafia here and probably anywhere else in the country for 40-60 years. Some of you people need to stop watching bad Hollywood movies and bad comic books and realize that your crummy little romanticization of crime and gangs is no longer relevant. Crime is not a "gentleman's game" and never will be. Lmao.

this. people that think that the mob still is as organized as before need to get out of their rock

Your precious Crime world is ruled these days by Drug Cartels (number 1 highest criminal income), who chop of heads, burn people alive... a gentleman's game.. grow up, its not like that anymore if it has ever been like that anyway (the ol' things were better back then stories)...

And guess who run the show for these Cartells in L.A. (Los Santos), that's right: GANGS not maffia. Maffia is an east coast/ northern America thing.

Second most profitable income is human trafficking, mostly done by Easten European organized crime, they are also very far from playing things the gentlemen way... Third is gun running.

So you bet ya that we will be seeing the hood and gangs. The main story might be more about big profile heists but if the main story is not about gangs then one of the downloadable contents surely will be.

user posted image

this icon14.gif

Trevor

How many white men does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

One, white men will screw anything !!!

Official General

@ Millionsofdeadcops

What an excellent post for this subject. I 100% agree with you said, you could'nt have said it any better. Many of these guys on here really do not have a clue or idea of the state of organized crime in the USA or how it really works. They just seem to really think that a bunch of armed, shady, but slick-looking (probably white guys) in dark suits with sunshades are the penultimate model for the featured gangsters we should be seeing in a GTA game all the time. I'm gonna join you and kick some knowledge to these idiots, even if they still don't listen. I think you guys really need to do some hard research on real-life gangs and mafias in America and stop watching too much Hollywood movies with badly cliched' stereotypes. If you did all of this, some you guys would not be talking the incredibly stupid and dumb bullsh*t you have been talking on here, I swear.

If Rockstar are gonna implement a good amount of realism in GTA V, (which I believe they will) then we should be seeing real-life Los Angeles-based gangs and organized crime being re-created within the game in their fictionalized forms. This would definitely mean the inclusion of street gangs and the hood. Sorry for those who don't like but that is the way it will be.

Firstly for all those obsessed with Italian Mafia, here is a newsflash and reality check. The Italian Mafia NO LONGER has any kind of significant control of organized crime in Los Angeles and the whole West Coast for that matter. This has been the case for nearly 60 years. It is quite possible there might still be Mafia activity in LA, but it is nearly unheard of these days and very insignificant. For little-known reasons, the Italian Mafia's reach and influence never quite fully held grip in Los Angeles and the West Coast. The Russian and Armenian Mobs are both very active in Los Angeles, but they are certainly nowhere near being the dominant organized crime groups in the city. There many Triad and Far Eastern gangs in LA and California but they generally operate only within their own communities. The very ruthless Mexican Mafia syndicates and Mexican drug cartels are clearly the most powerful and dominant crime groups in Los Angeles.

The Mexican crime groups main business is drug trafficking, and the main guys who normally distribute drugs through LA for them, are you guessed it, STREET GANGS from all these different HOODS. Hispanic and African-American street gangs are the main vessels for the distribution of drugs imported by Mexican drug cartels and these street gangs make multi-millions of dollars from this yearly. The Italian Mafia play virtually no part in this in Los Angeles. Crime in certain entire LA neighbourhoods are not controlled by the Mafia, but they are controlled by street gangs, be they be Hispanic, African-American, or Asian (Chinese or Korean). Even many of the nicer, wealthier districts and suburbs in LA have their drug markets and sales directly or indirectly controlled by street gangs. In short, street gangs from the hood are essential to any crime, LA-based game and that means GTA V.

This is how gangs and organized crime in LA stand at this moment in time. So stop living in dreamland, and wake and smell the f**king coffee.

@ Jimmarn

You tried to look clever and smart with you extremely silly picture comparison. So a bunch of white guys in slick Savile Row suits standing in some alleyways looking hard makes them the ultimate, authentic prototype for a gangster character does it ? You need to listen to that guy, he speaks the truth. Reality check, in real-life, gangsters in Los Angeles do not look like that, including the idealized ones you dreamed up in that thick skull of yours. You need to chill and stop watching too many Guy Ritchie movies. You obviously have not got a clue about any of this stuff, so I advise to stop talking, because what you say is laughable bullsh*t.

@ fgcarva1

You said, "crime is a gentlemen's game". What kind stupid p**k are you ? LOOOOOL, it made me laugh so hard because of the extreme dumbness of how it sounds !! Too much Godfather and Goodfellas I bet. No you a**hole, crime is not a gentlemen's game and gangsters are generally not smartly, suit-clad Robin Hood-style criminals with style, finesse, morals and honour, NO they are not. Gangsters are simply homicidal criminals with a bit more common sense than others who understand that organization, leadership, co-operation, coordination, greed and ruthlessness are a great recipe for success in making money from crime. The concept of being a gangster is not exclusive to any particular race, ethnic group or social group. There is nothing gentlemanly about being a gangster at all, so stop sounding like such a dumb mothaf**ka.

Edited by Official General

if they want to create a realistic LA setting they without a doubt will have to. LA would not be LA without the Ghetto or the Barrio

Edited by Mikey_Navaja

@ Millionsofdeadcops

What an excellent post for this subject. I 100% agree with you said, you could'nt have said it any better. Many of these guys on here really do not have a clue or idea of the state of organized crime in the USA or how it really works. They just seem to really think that a bunch of armed, shady, but slick-looking (probably white guys) in dark suits with sunshades are the penultimate model for the featured gangsters we should be seeing in a GTA game all the time. I'm gonna join you and kick some knowledge to these idiots, even if they still don't listen. I think you guys really need to do some hard research on real-life gangs and mafias in America and stop watching too much Hollywood movies with badly cliched' stereotypes. If you did all of this, some you guys would not be talking the incredibly stupid and dumb bullsh*t you have been talking on here, I swear.

If Rockstar are gonna implement a good amount of realism in GTA V, (which I believe they will) then we should be seeing real-life Los Angeles-based gangs and organized crime being re-created within the game in their fictionalized forms. This would definitely mean the inclusion of street gangs and the hood. Sorry for those who don't like but that is the way it will be.

Firstly for all those obsessed with Italian Mafia, here is a newsflash and reality check. The Italian Mafia NO LONGER has any kind of significant control of organized crime in Los Angeles and the whole West Coast for that matter. This has been the case for nearly 60 years. It is quite possible there might still be Mafia activity in LA, but it is nearly unheard of these days and very insignificant. For little-known reasons, the Italian Mafia's reach and influence never quite fully held grip in Los Angeles and the West Coast. The Russian and Armenian Mobs are both very active in Los Angeles, but they are certainly nowhere near being the dominant organized crime groups in the city. There many Triad and Far Eastern gangs in LA and California but they generally operate only within their own communities. That leaves the Mexican Mafia or Mexican drug cartels who happen to be LA's most powerful crime groups.

The Mexican crime groups main business is drug trafficking, and the people who distribute through LA for them, are you guessed it, STREET GANGS in all these different HOODS. Hispanic and African-American street gangs are the main vessels for the distribution of drugs imported by Mexican drug cartels and the street gangs make multi-millions of dollars from this yearly. The Italian Mafia play virtually no part in this in Los Angeles. Crime in certain entire LA neighbourhoods are not controlled by the Mafia, but they are controlled by street gangs, be they be Hispanic, African-American, or Asian (Chinese or Korean). Even many of the nicer, wealthier districts and suburbs in LA have their drug markets and sales directly or indirectly controlled by street gangs.

This is how gangs and organized crime in LA stand at this moment in time. So stop living in dreamland, and wake and smell the f**king coffee.

@ Jimmarn

You tried to look clever and smart with you extremely silly picture comparison. So a bunch of white guys in slick Savile Row suits standing in some alleyways looking hard makes them the ultimate, authentic prototype for a gangster character does it ? You need to listen to that guy, he speaks the truth. Reality check, in real-life, gangsters in Los Angeles do not look like that, including the idealized ones you dreamed up in that thick skull of yours. You need to chill and stop watching too many Guy Ritchie movies. You obviously have a clue about any of this stuff, so I advise to stop talking, because what you say is laughable bullsh*t.

@ fgcarva1

You said, "crime is a gentlemen's game". What kind stupid p**k are you ? LOOOOOL, it made me laugh so hard because of the extreme dumbness of how it sounds !! Too much Godfather and Goodfellas I bet. No you a**hole, crime is not a gentlemen's game and gangsters are generally not smartly, suit-clad Robin Hood-style criminals with style, finesse, morals and honour, NO they are not. Gangsters are simply homicidal criminals with a bit more common sense than others who understand that organization, leadership, co-operation, coordination, greed and ruthlessness are a great recipe for success in making money from crime. There is nothing gentlemanly about that, so stop sounding like such a dumb mothaf**ka.

Damn, nice post. icon14.gif

Another note, if Grand Theft Auto V doesn't involve any street gang type of things, I can totally imagine a DLC for that, just think of it.

CubA_iLL_BrothA

Actually if you really think of it. The Groove street families in way operated like a Mafia family/clan. They were loyal to each other like a family, similar to the mob... And also didn't want there neighborhood to be ruined by drugs o violence, similar to the Mob, and looked out for each other...

True but Smoke wanted the GOD status.

True but Smoke wanted the GOD status.

Yeah, but he betrayed the game and payed for it, so did Ryder.

You guys better cool it down otherwise I'm locking the thread. confused.gif

Anyway I don't believe street gang culture will be as prominent in GTA V as it was in SA. It'll probably take a back seat like the mafia in GTA IV, but it would be silly not to have them involved in some fashion.

It's like setting a game in the Wild West without the Cowboys, Outlaws, Native Americans etc.

Halo_Override

I've got friends for whom San Andreas is not their favorite GTA, and that's perfectly fine, of course.

But 9 times out of 10 in my experience, when you encounter someone who "loves GTA" but "hates San Andreas and all that gangbanger crap", it's basically a coded way of saying they just don't like black people.

Sad, I know.

CubA_iLL_BrothA

Right, so there really wasn't know loyal. And btw, gangs use to protect neighborhoods where there was raised at. I have family that's been incarcerated. It's a generation thing, it's all Genocide to me.

@Miamivicecity, what happen?

I had came to this thread a few times but refused to post due to the enormous amount of ignorance being displayed within. I'm glad a few of those in the know have shed some light on this subject.

....lol Mafia. f*ck out of here.

LOL @ the person who said Street gang story has been done too many times. That same person wants the Italian Mafia, the Italian Mafia have been the most over used criminal org in GTA. 3, VC, 4 and even San Andreas yes San Andreas the game about the "Hood" had the Italian mafia. I love the Godfather, Goodfellas and Casino but please stop beating a dead horse.

If V is going to have another Mafia please be the Mexican or Russian Mafia no more Italian mafia.